How To Chise - An Interactive Thread

Any information about the forum that needs to be known will be posted here, from rules to maintenance. Also post threads if there any problems or issues with the site that need to be fixed.

Topic author
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » 05 Dec 2018, 14:51

So eventually we may have new members on the site that didn't come from SS, and some of them might be interested in starting a franchise but have no idea how to start. I thought it might be good if we put our heads together and saw if we could work out a comprehensive How To Chise Guide. I could just post the stuff that Cheese2121 and Matt10 put on SS and whilst that stuff is really good, it doesn't address some of the stuff that every chise has. So I will try to do a starter's guide and then everyone can add in any tips and tricks they want to add.

First

Pick a game that you enjoy playing. Having fun is key to running a good franchise and if your game isn't fun then you won't want to post any updates. Different games (and by extension different sports) will have different styles of chise and different levels of detail. No-one is expecting a 3 paragraph game report for a 162 game MLB season and no-one wants just a scoreline for an NFL season.

Second

Give some information about the team, for anyone who isn't familiar with the team or the sport, and maybe explain the premise of the franchise. A new coach taking over, a new owner of the team, a player franchise about a rookie just joining the team etc. A lot of times this is set out in the form of news articles or storyline articles but for someone people's franchises it has been diary entries, graphic pieces etc.

Third

For a team sport it's always good to show the roster or the squad so that people reading the chise will be familiar with the names that you are talking about in your game updates. A lot of people put out a roster update which lists the players involved. If it is a chise for an individual sport like tennis, golf or racing then you could maybe list the other major participants so that readers will have an idea of who you are going up against.

Fourth

Start putting out your updates. The frequency is up to you, it can be game by game, week by week or month by month. Usually the frequency correlates to the amount of games per season, the fewer the games, the more frequent the updates. Generally an update will contain at least 1 screen-shot from the game itself, a score or result and some information about how the game itself went. For example in an NFL chise there will be a recap of the big moments that happened in the game whereas in my soccer chises I prefer to just give the stats and the match events. Everyone has their own style and this is the biggest difference between individual chisers. Find your own style and what you think looks good and go with that.

Fifth

It's always good to see a recap of what else is happening in the game apart from just your results, whether this is a week by week update of the league as a whole like a lot of NFL chises do or a monthly standings update similar to ones that feature in soccer chises. These updates let people know where your team is and how well it is doing, as well as the other storylines that are developing around the league or the sport. You can also make one off updates about big things that have happened in the sport, trades or changes of manager etc. Some people also like to do little twitter updates about certain things that are happening in the league too, instead of writing a full update. The important thing is that your games don't feel like you are in a vacuum.

In the next post I will put up the stuff from Cheese and maybe some of the tips and tricks but everyone can feel free to add things themselves. There are a lot of people on this site who have been doing this a lot longer than me.

Topic author
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » 05 Dec 2018, 14:54

So I've copied this over from Cheese2121's post on the old SS. All credit for it goes to Cheese.

"
1. Have Fun

This is the most important one. If you don't read any of the other ones, read this one and at the end of the day this is the only one that truly matters. If you aren't having fun, you need to stop posting pronto. The whole point of dynasties is to have fun and enjoy what you are doing, and if that's not the case it will show in your updates. Pick a team you like, find some difficult sliders that will pose a challenge to you, and play/post away. The more fun you are having, the better your updates will be, and the more people will follow yours. We all have enough things in our life that we have to do or work that has to be completed. When I come on to the site, this is my free time, my fun time. It is the time where I get to hang out with other guys who love the sports video games and writing about them.

2. Grammar and Punctuation

Take time to proofread your updates. Nothing is a bigger turnoff than someone who can't quite, figure, out when the put commas. if ther is a sentence that luks like this and there are no periods and it just keeps going and going your doing something wrong. You don't need to be an English major to post updates that the readers can understand and follow.

3. Balance Between Text/Graphics

Finding a balance between using graphics and actual text is key to making an outstanding dynasty. Posting a dynasty with heavy amounts of graphics or writing is fine, but in most of the best 'chises you find that they have a good mix. The other advantage of using text updates is it shows that you put effort into your dynasty. Once you have the basic graphic layout set up, all you have to do is insert a few sentences and pictures and voila!, you have your update. With written updates, it shows that you spent 30-40 minutes actually typing it up. Which leads me to my next point...

4. Effort

Put effort into your dynasty. Having your update be, "Beat Michgian 29-10. Now 3-0. Mike Jones won the Heisman, btw," is a pretty big turnoff. Put some time into it, and people will follow.

5. Get the Followers Involved

This is key to keeping people interested. If someone replies, thank them and/or reply back. Along with that, responding lets them know that you actually appreciate them following your dynasty, and they will keep posting.

Also, try doing things like CAPs and press conferences with the followers. This will get the readers involved, and they will check in to see how their CAP is doing or how you answered their question.

6. Post In-Depth

Don't just post your game updates and how many recruits have committed to your school, because that's not all that happens in the game. How are other teams around the NCAA doing? What's the top 25 like? Any big games that week? Tell us. We want to know.

7. Realism

Last but certainly not least. Realism. If your 'chise isn't realistic, following it is hard because we all know you'll win ever game. If you are playing as Alabama, fine, you can win every game and nobody will care. But if you are playing as Vanderbilt, for example, even an 9-3 season should be unreachable your first season. Sometimes you can't help being good, but at least make an attempt to lose some games. After a couple seasons, when your fictional coach has had time to build the program, you can go 13-0 and win the National Championship. But until then, it should be a rebuilding process, not a play-every-game-on-All-American-and-go-undefeated process."

KimJongBaze

Post by KimJongBaze » 05 Dec 2018, 19:53

Cheese and Deegeezy will forever be the GOATs.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 08 Jan 2019, 13:08

this is more of a resources thing right

James

Post by James » 08 Jan 2019, 14:23

It can be.

Soapy

Post by Soapy » 08 Jan 2019, 18:27

Step 1: find a old baze chise

Step 2: find the layouts you like

Step 3: rip off those layouts.

Step 4: enjoy the compliments from other people telling you "dope gfx bro"

Count

Post by Count » 10 Jan 2019, 07:41

Soapy wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 18:27
Step 1: find a old baze chise

Step 2: find the layouts you like

Step 3: rip off those layouts.

Step 4: enjoy the compliments from other people telling you "dope gfx bro"
perfect plan till someone deleted all his chises

Chyp2074

Post by Chyp2074 » 22 Apr 2021, 04:39

Alright, I think My Wolves to glory follows the rules and my Harrogate one doesn't. Thanks for the advice

djp73

Post by djp73 » 22 Apr 2021, 06:59

not so much rules as suggestions