NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-2027)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
chosenone58

NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-??)

Post by chosenone58 » 18 Jun 2021, 07:00

Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 18 Jun 2021, 07:13

Welcome Home

The plane had just landed at JFK airport. We finished the season with a win over Indiana. We finished with an unprecedented 77 wins. Who would have thought? The Brooklyn Nets being synonymous with this level of success? Much respect to the ’95 Bulls, but we tore the league up this year. We were practically unstoppable. I say practically because we were stopped 5 times. But damn. We just have to get the crown again. So, the job is not finished.

I checked my phone after the game and saw that I had a text from the man himself: MJ.

So, you think you’re hot shit now huh? Last year you take my record, this year you break that damn record. Congrats, kid.

I’m almost 40 years old and he still calls me kid. I think the first time mine and Jordan’s name was mentioned as far as records was when I scored 66 points in a playoff game against the Oklahoma City Thunder back in my days with the Clippers. Breaking his record by 3 points. Then again when I averaged 45 points per game against Chicago during the NBA Finals. He averaged 41 points when they played against Phoenix.

Life was good. We have a bit of a break before the playoffs start, so we’re going to have a small party for the twins tomorrow, followed by my “Playoff Kick Off, Kick Back” as CP3 so aptly named it a few years ago.

As I descended the stairs of the plane, I spoke with a few of the guys, and they agreed to be at the house tomorrow. Those with kids were coming for the party at 2, while some guys were going to show up for the adult only festivities around 5. Adam said he would be there at 2, even though he didn’t have a kid to bring. He narrowly escaped a scare with his ex from college, when she told him she was pregnant this past November. We found out two weeks ago that he was not the father.

I was talking to Keith and Joe when I heard a horn blow behind me.

“Looks like you gotta go, man.” Joe said looking over my shoulder.

I turn around to see my wife sitting in the backseat of a black Lincoln Navigator wearing a pair of large sunglasses. I didn’t expect her back until tomorrow morning.

“Hi, guys.”

“Hey, Naya.”
Joe and Keith reply simultaneously. Keith pats me on back. “We’ll uh, see you tomorrow, right, D?”

“Are you ready to go, Mr. Baldwin?”

When she calls me Mr. Baldwin, I know that she means business. Damn good business. I quickly grabbed my Gucci travel bag and toss it in the back of the SUV before climbing in next to her.

Legs. All I see are her legs. And a pair of Christian Louboutin heels. I don’t register the rest of her outfit.

“My eyes are up here.”

“Yeah, I know.”
But I don’t bring mine up to meet hers. Legs.

“You haven’t seen me in almost three months, and this is where you choose to focus your attention?”

She puts her hand under my chin and lifts my head to look at her pulling me out of the trance that I’m in.

“I wasn’t expecting you until the morning. When did you get back?”

“Yesterday.”

“Why didn’t you call?”

“For what? You were in Indianapolis. It’s not like you were coming home right then. So, I figured I’d surprise you. And I didn’t want to distract you from tonight.”

“How would you have been a distraction?”

She didn’t respond. She just raised her eyebrow. She’s right. I definitely would have had her on a plane to Nap Town last night had I known she was back stateside.

“I saw that you had been binge watching Glee on Netflix, so I figured I would pick you up from the airport today.”

“This is why we need separate logins.”

She leaned over and gave me a kiss on the lips. One that ended way too soon. “You’re cute. And I’m hungry. What do you want to eat?”

It was my turn to raise my eyebrow at her. She laughed.

“Later.” She reached behind the seat and grabbed an insulated bag and sat it in my lap. Inside was a container of food from Henry's End, a bottle of wine and a cheesecake from Junior’s too. “You’re gonna want to eat first. I’ve got big plans for you.”

I love my wife. I love my wife. I love my wife.

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 18 Jun 2021, 09:27

Old man Jordan about to suit up on your ass

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Jun 2021, 13:59

The JZA wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 09:27
Old man Jordan about to suit up on your ass

Topic author
chosenone58

NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-2027)

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Jun 2021, 14:18

NBA|CROSSOVER
O’Neal Wins Back to Back MVP Awards

All smiles for Brooklyn's Shareef O'Neal as he gets his second MVP title

By MIKE MAZZEO April 19, 2027

WELL, THERE IS NOW ONE THING Shareef O’Neal can say that he has, that his father, Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal, does not: multiple Most Value Player awards. His father was named league MVP in 2000. O’Neal has been named league MVP for the second year in a row. A feat that was last accomplished by Philadelphia’s Jahlil Okafor in 2023 and 2024. O’Neal has averaged a double-double all season with 18.5 points and 10.7 rebounds per game.

“It’s quite the accomplishment,” said O’Neal. “I am in some very elite company. Jahlil Okafor, LeBron James, and my teammate, Derek Baldwin among others. I have my teammates and coaching staff to thank.”

O’Neal was also named All-NBA 1st team. He and his teammates are looking to keep things rolling as they try to win back to back titles.

“The personal accolades are great, but we would like to keep filling up the trophy case at Barclay Center. There’s one more back to back left.”

This is the third straight year that a member of the Brooklyn Nets have been named League MVP. Keith Perkins was crowned in 2025.

Last edited by chosenone58 on 02 Aug 2021, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Jun 2021, 14:44

Season Awards

MVP – Shareef O’Neal (BKN)
ROY – LeBron James, Jr (LAC)
DPOY – Giannis Antetokounmpo (MIL)
6MOY – Marvin Bagley (NO)
MIP – Pierre Miccoud (TOR)
COY – Kobe Bryant (BKN)

All-NBA First Team
Spencer Meyers, G (Dallas Mavericks)
Lamar Hardin, G (Golden State Warriors)
Shareef O'Neal, F (Brooklyn Nets)
Ben Simmons, F (Toronto Raptors)
Michael Wong, C (Washington Wizards)

All-NBA Second Team
Keith Perkins, G (Brooklyn Nets)
Ronnie Lucas, G (Portland Trailblazers)
Kristaps Porzingas, F (New York Knicks)
Andrew Wiggins, F (Minnesota Timberwolves)
Jahlil Okafor, C (Philadelphia 76ers)

All-NBA Third Team
Derek Baldwin, G (Brooklyn Nets)
Russell Westbrook, G (Utah Jazz)
Jabari Parker, F (Milwaukee Bucks)
Freddy Smart, F (San Antonio Spurs)
Nate Matthews, C (Brooklyn Nets)

All-Defensive First Team
Lamar Hardin, G (Golden State Warriors)
Derek Baldwin, G (Brooklyn Nets)
Giannis Antetokounmpo, F (Milwaukee Bucks)
Anthony Davis, F (New Orleans Pelicans)
Nate Matthews, C (Brooklyn Nets)

All-Defensive Second Team
Ronnie Lucas, G (Portland Trailblazers)
Albert Patrick, G (Chicago Bulls)
Shareef O'Neal, F (Brooklyn Nets)
Richie Fortson, F (Miami Heat)
Michael Wong, C (Washington Wizards)

All-Rookie First Team
LeBron James, Jr., G (Los Angeles Clippers)
Andre Iguodala, G (San Antonio Spurs)
Tim Landry, G (Washington Wizards)
Mark Peterson, G (Milwaukee Bucks)
Luke Kennard, G (New York Knicks)

All-Rookie Second Team
Kenneth McInnis, C (Toronto Raptors)
Lynn Bryant, G (New York Knicks)
Dell Boone, C (Miami Heat)
Juan Carlos Del Rosario, F (Atlanta Hawks)
Armando Reyes, C (Golden State Warriors)

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Jun 2021, 14:55

NBA|CROSSOVER
Making Sacrifices

By Amber Spencer April 19, 2027

Can the Brooklyn Nets be stopped? The Nets went on a 21 game win streak to close out the 2027 season to win 77 games. Last season they won 73 games, breaking the 1995 Chicago Bulls’ record of 72 wins. The Nets hope this season ends the same way last season ended.

With a championship.

“That’s what it’s all about,” said Nets Head Coach Kobe Bryant. “We want that ring. The job is not finished.”

The Nets seemed to have tapped into a reserve no one knew they had, being led by veterans Derek Baldwin, Paul George, and Greg Monroe. Baldwin has managed to average 18 points per game this season, playing his first 82 game season since retiring in 2020.

“It was different,” said Baldwin. “I came in last season and missed about the first half of the season, so I had plenty of steam left for the playoffs. We knew this run was going to be a little different, but I feel good. I feel great actually.”

So what is it that makes this Nets team look unstoppable at times?

“It’s all about sacrifice,” Derek Baldwin said after a Nets’ practice. “We’ve got pretty talented players. Best team in the league, but who’s going to be willing to sacrifice? Who’s going to be willing to take less or do more?”

With the signing of Derek Baldwin to a two year contract at the end of last season, that became the question. Is Baldwin willing to fall back or step up when need be? How is he going to make room for his teammates?

We don’t hear from him as much as we did during his days in Chicago and especially Los Angeles. He defers to the other guys around him, Shareef O’Neal and Keith Perkins, the Nets co-captains, during interviews.

“I’m just a savvy veteran,” Baldwin says.

Yeah, with seven NBA Championships.

“Everybody said coach was selfish,” said point guard Keith Perkins, “but not the team. We wanted him here more than he wanted to be here, I think. We play on a whole different level when he’s out there. We can’t describe it. When he would step in during practice sometimes and we’d go through plays with him, it was just different. Not to be negative about it, but things just lined up for us last season. We felt like losing Mike for the rest of the season was a sign that we needed to take that step. Coach took it all on the chin for us. He let everybody blame him. He let everybody hate him. He elevates this team though.”

Things got worse as Mike Bibby decided not to opt in with the Nets this season and Brooklyn offered Baldwin a two year contract.

“I could understand if we were losing,” said Paul George. George was one of Baldwin’s first acquisitions when he was hired as head coach in 2023 and according to Baldwin, one of the best signings he’s ever made. “We just won a championship and we’re getting ready to go for another. What’s all the fuss about? Mike made what he felt was the best decision for him. I don’t think anybody forced him off the team.”

Will the sacrifices continue as the Nets push toward back to back titles?

Agent

Post by Agent » 19 Jun 2021, 15:31

Championship #8 incoming. Bill Russell’s record is so cloooose :lol:

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 19 Jun 2021, 15:33

A team full of MVPs :obama:

kibaxx7

Post by kibaxx7 » 19 Jun 2021, 18:31

"Two-time MVP Jahlil Okafor" :lol:
× The Life and Times of Tanjiro Sakai ×
× Watching: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×