The Mis-Education of Noah Baldwin (2027 - ???)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Agent

Post by Agent » 29 Jan 2023, 04:47

Benoit bout to put Rodman in a crippler cross face :troll:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 29 Jan 2023, 13:39

Agent wrote:
29 Jan 2023, 04:47
Benoit bout to put Rodman in a crippler cross face :troll:
Oddly enough, this Benoit is more of a Walls of Jericho guy

Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Feb 2023, 00:27

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Feb 2023, 00:51

Two Way Street (Part 1)

I stared at my phone looking at the last text message that I sent to Kori.

Noah Tues, Nov 27 at 6:45 PM
Road trip is finally coming to an end. I would love to see you when I get back to NYC. Bella too.

I had sent that text when I landed in Milwaukee the night before. I tried calling a couple times, but I hadn’t gotten an answer. I wouldn’t trip, but I hadn’t heard from her since I got back from Chicago over two weeks ago and it felt weird. We ended up staying in Chicago overnight since we didn’t have a game for a few days. I knew we would be flying out to Boston and I’d be on the road for another 8 days. I knew she was planning to spend the holidays in Philly with her folks, so I was trying to get some time in. I hit her up the day we got back from Chicago, once I got settled and showered, but she told me she wasn’t up for company. I didn’t know what was going on.

Fortunately, I had run into Iris leaving our building the next day.

####################################

9 days ago

“Looks like somebody is taking the walk of shame this morning.”

“Only if I have something to be ashamed about. And I don’t.” She laughed.

“I know my boy better be ready for film session this afternoon.”

“That’s on him if he’s not.”
She laughed again.

“I hear you. I was hoping for some company myself before we got back on the road, but no such luck.”

“It is that time of the year.”
She said.

“You’re gonna have to elaborate, Iris.”

She must have the seen the clueless expression on my face. She sighed. “I know you just got out of the gym, but you mind taking a walk?”

We headed across the street to a small café that Remy and I frequent on our off days. We ordered some pastries and waters and grabbed a table near the back.

“So, what’s happening? I mean, I feel like she’s pulling away from me. I thought we made some real progress after Bella’s birthday last month.”

That was almost a disaster.

About a week before the season kicked off, I invited Kori over for dinner with my family, but she said she couldn’t make it. She was going to be busy all weekend. I didn’t sweat it, I told her it was a standing invite for whenever. I ended up going out with Remy to a New York Rangers preseason game instead. I mentioned that I was hoping to hang out with Kori and he responded that she and Iris were celebrating Isabella’s birthday that day. When I didn’t say anything, he picked up on the fact that he had just let that slip. He apologized for ruining the mood, but I told him not to worry about it.

The rest of the day went off without incident. We ran into a few Knicks’ fans, signed a few autographs. I even got a signed stick from K’Andre Miller. Remy and I headed back to our building, but I decided to go to Brooklyn instead of going to my condo.

Twenty minutes later, I knocked on a familiar door.

“Nephew. Did not expect to see you here.”

I ran down the whole thing to my uncle. He knows that I still haven’t met Kori’s daughter. And I get it, she doesn’t want to introduce her daughter to me and then if we don’t work out things may get weird. But I thought we made some serious headway this summer in Miami and Los Angeles. I've seen Isabella in the background when Kori and I have talked on FaceTime, but I’ve never been officially introduced to her. I was more confused by her just not telling me about the party than anything. But my uncle gave me one solid piece of advice.

“Bad communication ends a lot of good things. But good communication can end a lot of bad things.”

So, I left his place and went over to hers. I parked across the street and just sat there. I could see people inside of her apartment. I was really hoping none of her neighbors saw me sitting outside and called the cops. About 45 minutes later, I saw a delivery guy walk up to the door and drop off a package. He walked down the steps and sent a text message before leaving. I saw her stick her head out of the front door a few seconds later, and I stepped out of the car. When I pressed the alarm, she noticed me standing across the street.

She looked over her shoulder before closing the front door and crossing the street.

“Hey.”

“Hey, yourself. Just thought I’d get a little something for the birthday girl.”
I gestured toward the Target bag in her hand. “Wasn’t trying to crash the party. I hope she likes it.” I unlocked the car and turned to open the door.

“Noah.”

“Nah, it’s cool, I get it. You could have just told me. I know we’re not at the “meet my daughter stage yet”. I haven’t pressured you to do anything that you don’t want to do.”

“I know that. And I appreciate that. I wasn’t expecting everybody to show up this weekend for Bella. It’s usually just the two of us and Iris or my parents.”

“We can talk about it later, I just wanted to make sure the gift arrived.”
I gave her a kiss on the cheek, climbed in the car and headed back to Midtown.

The next morning, she called and apologized. She also asked if I was okay with her stopping by after church. I told her it was fine and to my surprise, she and Bella were both in the lobby waiting to see me. Things seemed to be back on track after that.

Now a month later, it feels like we’re back in that space.

“I know it’s the holidays, Iris. But I wasn’t asking for much. I just wanted to spend the day with her. Maybe even a few hours. I’m not gonna be back in New York until the end of the month.”

“It’s not just the holidays, Noah.”
She looked around before she continued. “Look, it’s not my story to tell, but I know how Kori can be. The anniversary of Mark’s death is in a couple days.”

I knew that Mark was her husband. He passed away a few years ago. It all started to make sense.

“Well, I don’t think she should be alone.”

“She’s not. I check in on her every day. I try not to hover, but she usually just sits in the house listening to some of his old jazz albums. Then she goes to her parents for Thanksgiving.”

“So, I guess just give her some space?”

“If it isn’t too much to ask. She’ll come around. I promise. She really likes you, kid.”

Agent

Post by Agent » 05 Feb 2023, 05:45

Noah said he's not a step dad. He's the dad who stepped up.

Sound advice from Unc. I can even apply that to my own life. :yup:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Feb 2023, 19:14

Agent wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 05:45
Noah said he's not a step dad. He's the dad who stepped up.

Sound advice from Unc. I can even apply that to my own life. :yup:
The guy may be young but he's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Unc is a sage at this point. Seen it all, done it all.

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Feb 2023, 22:49

Be careful with Kori, Noah. May be a sweet girl, but hidden expectations are bad apples

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 09 Feb 2023, 23:01

The JZA wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 22:49
Be careful with Kori, Noah. May be a sweet girl, but hidden expectations are bad apples
Noted, Chief. We'll see what happen with those two kids.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 09 Feb 2023, 23:07

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 09 Feb 2023, 23:32

Two Way Street (Part 2)

By the time we got back from Milwaukee, I still hadn’t gotten a response to my text, so I figured I would try my (wo)man on the inside: Iris.

Noah Thurs, Nov 29 at 12:02 AM
I tried texting, but it’s been radio silence. Is there any way you can get her to come to the game tomorrow night?

I got a response back almost immediately.

Iris Thurs, Nov 29 at 12:03 AM
She has to get a new phone. Bella dropped hers in the toilet.

Noah Thurs, Nov 29 at 12:03 AM
Wow. lol Thanks for the heads up.

Iris Thurs, Nov 29 at 12:05 AM
No problem. We’ll see you tomorrow night. Go to bed!

To say I was nervous was an understatement. I didn’t know whether or not she would show up. I couldn't seem to relax. So, I watched some film of Ja Morant’s last few games. Anything to take my mind off of Kori.

The next day, I headed to Madison Square Garden early to get some shots up. I needed to do something with all this extra energy. As I got closer to the court, I could hear a basketball being dribbled. My uncle was already here. No surprise there. I grabbed a ball off the rack and did a few dribble moves around the perimeter.

“I wondered when you were going to get here. Where’s Remy?”

“I left a little earlier than normal. He should be here in the next half hour or so though. He mentioned he wanted to go over something with you.”

He nodded his head in response. “So, what brings you in ahead of schedule?”

“Trying to take my mind off this thing with Kori.”
I hit a step back jumper near the free throw line. Nothing but net.

“I see. Well, I’m glad you decided to channel your energy into something constructive.” He mimicked the move and banked it in off the glass. Before I knew it, we were in the middle of an intense game of HORSE.

###################################

“And how great is it to be playing alongside this guy?” Malika Andrews asked as my uncle threw his arm around my shoulder during my postgame interview. We had just blown out the Grizzlies and we both had double-doubles. I had my biggest Kool-Aid smile on. We were clicking tonight. It turns out our game of HORSE carried over into the actual game as we finished with nearly identical stats tonight.

“I can’t describe it. We’re having a lot of fun,” I said.

“And it is showing on the court. That’s win number twenty for the Knicks. Can anybody slow you guys down?”

“We’ll just keep playing and see.”

“Well, congratulations.”

“Thanks, Malika.”

As we head back to the locker room, I look into the stands again, but it looks like my guests have already disappeared for the night. After the team meeting is over, I grab my phone before I take care of the rest of my media obligations. I have a text from Kori.

Kori H. Fri, Nov 30 at 9:19 PM
Nice win.

Noah Fri, Nov 30 at 9:37 PM
Thank you.

Kori H. Fri, Nov 30 at 9:40 PM
Chocolate Room?

I smile at her attempt at a peace offering before typing my response.

Noah Fri, Nov 30 at 9:41 PM
Always.

“You smiling big, my guy. She must be talking to you nice.”
Remy walked over to me wearing a pair of boxers and a pair of gray Nike slides.

“Feeling optimistic, ya heard me? I’m about to do these interviews and then get dressed and shoot out. I know we’re off tomorrow. I’ll catch up with on Sunday. You coming to dinner?”

“Is a pig’s ass pork?”

That damn Remy. I couldn’t hold back my laughter as I left the locker room and made my way across the hall. I high five the reporter closest to the door before I take my seat.

“Alright. What y’all got for me?”

###################################

Half an hour later and I am finally leaving the Garden. I take my car to my uncle’s place and park in the garage before taking the ten minute walk to Kori’s place. It’s not too cold out and my adrenaline is still pretty high from the game. I’m standing on the steps of the brownstone before I know it. I peek over the side of the stoop and I see the lights on in Iris’ basement apartment letting me know she’s home. I lifted my hand to knock but she opened the door before I could make contact.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were waiting on me,” I say as I shrug out of my BOSS cashmere coat.

She gave me a kiss on the cheek before taking my coat. She hangs it on the coat rack in the corner. This allows me a moment to enjoy the view, but when she turns around I get caught staring. She smiles and shakes her head.

“I didn’t want you to wake Isabella.” She looks down the hall towards her daughter’s room. “Between Iris and the snacks and just the overall excitement from the game, she was worn out when we got home.”

“I see. Was that her first game?”

She nods.

“Well, I’m glad we didn’t disappoint.” She grabs my hand and leads me to the living room. She has a plate of my favorite strawberry champagne truffles, and a few of her favorites as well, next to two cups of hot chocolate. I take a seat and grab one of the truffles and take a bite. These things are addictive.

“Softening me up with the truffles, I see?”

“Is it working?”

“At the moment.”

“I know I’ve been distant lately.”

“Mhmm.”
I keep eating. I’m not going to make this easy.

“I’ve been processing a lot. This time of year is tough for me just remembering that Mark is no longer here with us. And now you’ve been added to the mix. You’ve been part of my life for the better part of a year now and these past few days I’ve felt weird about it.”

“Weird how?”

“I feel like I’m cheating on Mark. I know it sounds crazy because he’s not physically here, but we were together for six years. I still talk to his parents. He was more than my husband, he was my friend.”

“It doesn’t sound crazy at all. I mean, when we first started spending time together you said you hadn’t been on any dates or anything since he passed, so I get it. Like you feel guilty about living, I guess? For lack of a better term.”

“I do a little, if I’m being honest. It’s like I’m just forgetting everything that was between us.”

“Fair. But I’m not trying to replace him, you know that right? You were married. You had a child with him. I don’t expect you to just forget someone that you shared six years of your life with. But I understand.”

“I do know that. I just… I never thought I would feel like this again.”

“Like?”

“Like, I think I’m falling in love with you.”
She looked down at her hands.

“With the kid? I mean, I can see that.” I said, smirking. It caused her to laugh and relieve some of the tension in the room.

“Noah.”

“Oh, so, like you thought you were gonna hit it and quit it?”
I decide to tease her some more.

“I’m being serious, Noah.”

“Me too.”
I say as I take her both of her hands. “Look, I can see how you could be falling in love with me because I’m pretty sure that I might be falling in love with you too. Not as close as you are to falling in love with me, but close.” I laugh.

“It’s just weird. I miss you when you’re gone. I think about you randomly. I wanna text or call you more than I actually do because I don’t wanna come off as some type of Stage Five Clinger.” She drops her head in her hands. Almost like she’s embarrassed to admit it.

“I’m ready for some stage five, girl. I’ve been trying not to go stage five on you since I first saw you fifty-four weeks ago.”

“Fifty-four weeks?”
She raised an eyebrow. “You remember the day?”

“I will never forget that day. November fourteenth was one of the best days of my life.”

“I don’t want you to think I’m sweatin’ you, because I’m not.”
She smirked.

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. “These truffles say otherwise.”

“I’m just not trying to come across like those other girls. I know you have women constantly throwing themselves at you.”

“Yeah, but you’re the only one I’m trying to catch though.”

“Always with a line, Noah.”

“I’m smooth like that, love. And I don’t know why you’re acting like those single dads aren’t trying to holler at those parent-teacher nights or whatever.”

“Stop it.”

“Yeah, I know it. But hit me up whenever I cross your mind. That way I’ll know I’m at least crossing your mind.”
I wink at her making her blush. “Seriously though, Kori. I don’t want you to pull away from me. I didn’t know if I had done something or said something. Communication is a two-way street.”

“Yeah, I wanted to apologize for that. I can’t expect you to know what’s going on in my head. Iris got on me about that. But I’ve started to feel things for you for a while and I just didn’t know how to handle all it.”

“No need to apologize. You were processing. And that is a lot to process. Conflicting feelings and all.”

“So, we’re good?”

“If you’re good, Kori, then I’m good. Just communicate with me. Even if you don’t think I’ll like what you have to say.”

“So, if I communicated that I wanted you to stay over tonight….” she trailed off, but kept her eyes locked with mine. This was a first. I’ve never spent the night at her place. We almost always hung out at mine. And she never spent the night there either. She didn’t sneak out while I was asleep (well, maybe twice, although she did leave a note), but she never stayed over after our adult activities.

“Cuddling only. I’m not that type of guy.”

She tilted her head for a second as if she was considering my request and then nodded. She stood up from the couch and pulled her sweater over her head and tossed it at me obstructing my view. By the time I got the sweater out of my face, I could only see her bare back walking away. I took one more bite of my truffle before I followed the trail of clothes down the hallway before stopping at her bedroom door.

How did she get undressed so damn fast?