808s N' Fastbreaks

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 25 Dec 2020, 15:06

...Arrival To Battleground...

It’s been a few months since Johan made his decision to leave college and join the NBA G League. It was a tough decision, as education was important to his mother. But he’d knew that he can always return and fulfill that milestone later down the road. It’s been three short months of vigorous training, quarantining, and testing. Everything had checked out, papers were finalized, Johan was ready to make his way to Stockton, California. Upon his arrival, introductions were had, meeting a staff member of the team that was awaiting his arrival. Shortly, after a long walk down a corridor, Johan stood before double doors that he would enter to begin his new life, as a new member of the Stockton Kings.

“Hey Coach, the new guy is here.” the staff member iterated before making his leave. “Ah, so you’re newest addition to the team.” “And hopefully a great asset as well, the name’s Johan Johnson.” “Tyrone Ellis, pleasure to meet you.” “Likewise.” “Come inside... Okay team, listen up! We have a new face in the building, Johan Johnson. Perhaps some of you heard of him. He made some noise in his sophomore year at the University of San Francisco. All I ask of you is to show him the ropes around here, get him up to speed and acquainted.

Not too many were impressed with Johan. Most of these guys were out of their league, but hungry as anyone would be with an opportunity to do better, be better, achieve great things. They looked at Johan as just another opposition to overcome. All were teammates, but all were fighting for a spot on a NBA roster, which were seldom to come by for 400 employees. After introductions among the team, one of them stuck out to be the friendliest of them all, Stacey Shaw. The oldest on the team, Johan had a sense of him just being happy he’s able to play ball.

“I can tell you don’t belong here.” Johan looks at Stacey with raised eyebrows, almost insinuating. “How you figure?”, Johan asked. “Can just tell. You look like you belong on a NBA roster. You got this aura about you, real stout.” “Stout?” “Strong, heavy, something like a presence just too much to ignore.” Johan chuckles a bit, “I believe you’re giving me far more credit than I can carry today.” “Oh no, I’m not mistaking nothing about it. It’s written all over your face man. I’ve seen players like you come and go, as I’m from the University of San Francisco too.” “Oh? So, you’ve played under Coach Kyle Smith?” “No, I’ve heard about him, but I finished the year before he became head coach there.” “Lucky you, he’s a real character up close and in-person.” Johan looks around the locker room, surveying the players. “So, what’s these guys deal? You got any scoop on them? Seem a bit hostile.” “Guys just a little on edge. Don’t worry, they’ll come around. They’re just like anyone else man, just trying to keep that mentality to stay ready for any day to show and prove. Which, brings this conversation full circle, I believe it’ll be you to be that guy to keep tabs on.” Stacey pats Johan on shoulder before tending his own devices.

It wasn’t everyday someone waltz into Johan’s life and lay it on him thick with prophecies. As he waived the thought and prepared for practice, Johan was stepping into a battleground. Lower-tier NBA, but NBA nonetheless. It was a whole new world filled with a hunger for money, fame, and greatness, and he’s yet to scratch the surface...

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 25 Dec 2020, 16:02

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 25 Dec 2020, 17:54

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 25 Dec 2020, 20:03

...Game Day...

Today was the big day. With the NBA season a few weeks in, the G League season followed suit to tip off their season. Tonight, Johan would make his debut appearance in the NBA G League, as the Kings will play host to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, a team fresh off their first win of the season. Just as the team was prepped and ready, the team came together for a prayer and rallied to the hardwood for shoot around. Johan himself hanged back.

“Nervous, aren’t you.” Johan looks behind him, seeing Coach Ellis watching the team disappear under the bright lights. “It’s that obvious?” “I don’t blame you to be nervous. It’s a good sign that you’re ready.” “More like ready to not fail and fall flat on my face.” Johan jumps around, trying to get the jitters out. No matter how much he moved, he felt like a ton of bricks. “No, you only fail when you don’t step out onto that court and perform. Everyone is here for a reason, for a purpose. Win or lose, preferably win, every game is a showcase to the eyes that’s watching. All you have to do is show them what you have to offer.” “You have an articulate way of putting it.” “Maybe so, but it’s no less true. You’ve come this far from the day you picked up a ball and dribbled it, passed it, and shot it. Do what you’ve always been doing, take control. Tonight, is the first night of many that you make something of it.” Looking Coach Ellis dead in the eyes, acknowledging the words bestowed on him. Words potent enough to bring calm to Johan’s center as he felt at ease.

“Thanks, Coach.” “No need to thank me, just want you to do your best. Don’t let being the first one in and last out the gym be for nothing.” Johan nods his head. “I don’t want to put any more pressure onto you, but instead of working at the small forward, I’ll be moving you to point guard. Elden’s hand hasn’t healed enough and won’t be back anytime soon. So, I need you to take control, can you handle that?” “Yeah, take control. I can do that.” “Alright, go get ‘em.”

Johan made his way out the tunnel, joining the team for some shots before the game got underway. Game one of playing professional basketball was important to Johan. Of all nights, he had wished his mother could be in the stands supporting him. But he knew she was proud of him nonetheless. Perhaps she was looking on from the other side, if one was to believe in that. Nonetheless, there were a guarantee that other eyes were watching, particularly on Johan, and it wasn’t the NBA just yet...

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 25 Dec 2020, 20:04

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 26 Dec 2020, 12:12

Topic author
The JZA

808s N' Fastbreaks

Post by The JZA » 26 Dec 2020, 14:22