Scratching and Clawing: Saving the Grizzlies

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
RMJH4

Post by RMJH4 » 15 Apr 2021, 16:11

Captain Canada wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 18:02
I like the concept and bringing Michael Jordan into the fold only makes things even more interesting. Let's get it going.
I was hoping you would appreciate this being Captain Canada and all!
djp73 wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 19:32
Oh yeah! Love throwback chises!
You know I got the retro stuff on lock man. :lol2: [/size]
Agent wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 02:33
Hope MJ does better in Memphis than he did in Washington DC
Wanted to see if MJ could do it better as a GM and Vancouver was a great place to start. It was their last season in Canada so worth a shot!
Last edited by RMJH4 on 15 Apr 2021, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Retro NBA Nut.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 15 Apr 2021, 16:16

great to see you posting here!

kibaxx7

Post by kibaxx7 » 16 Apr 2021, 11:15

Good luck bro!

(What happened to the VC story?)
× The Life and Times of Tanjiro Sakai ×
× Watching: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×

Topic author
RMJH4

Post by RMJH4 » 17 Apr 2021, 12:18

djp73 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 16:16
great to see you posting here!
Thanks for the invite man!
spiderxx7 wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 11:15
Good luck bro!

(What happened to the VC story?)
Gone on the backburner for the min. Might leave that one to os forums.
Resident Retro NBA Nut.

Topic author
RMJH4

Post by RMJH4 » 17 Apr 2021, 12:34

Grizzlies Hire Collins as Head Coach.

Doug Collins coached Michael Jordan in the early stages of their careers with the Chicago Bulls. Collins now has the chance to work with Jordan again, this time Collins has been hired as Coach by Jordan the GM.

Collins, 49, was hired by Jordan yesterday as the Grizzlies' fourth full-time coach in three years. Collins replaced Lionel Hollins, who was interim head coach, was released after the Grizzlies finished the season with a 22-60 record, the fourth-worst record in the National Basketball Association.

Said Collins: "The most important thing for me is that Michael is going to be the president here and that he and I are going to be working closely together. Whatever comes after that is gravy. Would I love for him to come back and play? Darn right I would. I would love to have Michael. But Michael is in a brand new role here and he is most competitive and driven person I know, so he will want to make Vancouver successful."

Both Jordan and Collins acknowledged yesterday that their player-coach relationship in Chicago was frosty. They eventually gained a mutual respect that grew over the years. Collins is regarded as an excellent strategist who gets the most out of his players. However, over time, his intense personality has worn on players.

Collins has a 258-197 career record in the regular season and a 15-23 record in the postseason. Terms of his deal were not disclosed, but he is believed to have signed a four-year deal for $8-10 million.

"I demand excellence, there's no question about that," Collins said. "I want things to be right and sometimes stories get embellished about how I am a certain way. I find myself to be a very good teacher of the game."

Collins coached Jordan with the Bulls from 1986 to 1989 and turned a struggling franchise into a playoff regular after one season. Collins was fired after the 1989 season, went into television broadcasting, then returned as coach and director of basketball operations of the Detroit Pistons from 1995 until midway through the 1998 season, when he was fired, in part, because of his contentious relationship with players.

This season was Hollin's first in the NBA after a successful career at the college level.

"About 11 or 12 days ago, Lionel and I had a nice little conversation and he had some skepticism about what his productivity had been up to that point," Jordan said. "I never gave up on Lionel and I don't think Lionel gave up on himself."

At Wednesday night's meeting, Jordan said, he told Hollins that Collins would take over as coach and, after some discussion, Hollins resigned. Jordan said he probably would have fired Hollins if the coach did not resign. Hollins signed a four-year, $2 million guaranteed contract when he was hired last summer as an assistant coach. It is believed a financial settlement was reached.
Resident Retro NBA Nut.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 17 Apr 2021, 17:45

Jordan getting the band back together :hmm:

Stlducks

Post by Stlducks » 17 Apr 2021, 23:24

Really like this idea. Going back in time and seeing how things play out differently adds to the excitement of a franchise story.
Tottenham Hotspur
St. Louis Cardinals
San Fran 49ers

chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 18 Apr 2021, 18:06

Oh baby! I'm here for this.
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

mvp

Post by mvp » 19 Apr 2021, 10:37

looking dope bro!