Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 28 Jun 2022, 16:07

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 28 Jun 2022, 17:47

Agent

Post by Agent » 28 Jun 2022, 18:20

Kairos getting to the stripe a lot :bowdown: Either he's good at baiting :troll: or he's giving the big men problems at the rim.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 29 Jun 2022, 05:35

Agent wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 18:20
Kairos getting to the stripe a lot :bowdown: Either he's good at baiting :troll: or he's giving the big men problems at the rim.
A little bit of both. Both is good.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 29 Jun 2022, 05:37

IT'S GAME TIME: ON AND OFF THE COURT

With just four games in, the Rice Owls were sitting at a decent start to the season with a 3-1 record. While it may be non-conference wins and losses, each game provided a new confidence and improvement to everyone's game. But to everyone's lack of surprise, Kairos took to the game like fish in water...

"Aight, that about does it. Man, I'm beat!" Kairos yawned out as he stretched his arms upwards.

Kairos and Soson had spent the evening going over film and play sets with time on their hands. All night, Soson couldn't help but be curious of Kairos' dedication for just a 17-year old. Since Kairos arrived to Rice, he's been all basketball and training while other guys on the team were still getting a feel out for their semester. From Soson's perspective, Kairos showed another level of intense dedication at such a young age.
"So... Just like that?"

"Like what?" Kairos asked Soson, following his question.

"You're just going to waltz up in here from a eagle's nest in Tibet, study, train, and ball out like you're some 2K demi-god?"

Kairos chuckled, "Man, what are you getting at?"

"I'm saying, you're freshman here. Son of a hall of fame NBA legend. Taking over the NCAA, and you're only 17... What's up with that?"

"I'm just doing my thing, bro. Nothing more to it." Kairos responded nonchalantly.

"Oh no, you're not getting off that easy. Spill it, what's the secret to your recipe?" Soson asked seriously.

"You really want to know?"

"I asked, didn't I?"

"Alright, alright, I'll tell you. You gotta promise me you won't tell anyone about this."

"My word is my bond, so tell me." Soson waited, anticipating.

"Pass me that bag over there." Soson passed over the bag next that sat under the window ledge. After receiving it, Kairos unzips the bag, taking out a old basketball. "You see this here? During the games, I put the basketball in the hoop."

Irritated by Kairos' mundane humor, Soson waved him off as he laughed. "You think you got jokes. Real lame for that."

"I told you it was nothing more to it, Soso. What you were expecting? Some elaborate super-human juice?"

"The way you play and finesse the opposition, yeah, kind of!" Soson retorted.

"Look man, I'm not some all-elite basketball player with prerequisite superstar skills. I practice day in, day out. Nothing more or less."

"That's the problem my man, you already are. I know the season just started, but we're already steering down December. Four games in and with all the practice and scrimmages, everyone has taken a shine to you. People are already buzzing about how this could be our year."

"Be that as it may, I can't focus on the hype. Got to tackle one game at a time, and in a couple days we got that tournament game."

"Man, you're really serious about this sport, huh?"

"It's in the family, one could say."

"I know your Dad was about that life, but what of your mom, she was an athlete? Would explain a lot coming from you."

Kairos took a moment, detailing the past in his mind of his mother he never met, but only heard tales of. "Nah, my mom passed giving birth to me."

"Oh snap, my apologies, bro."

"Nah, don't worry about it. It was actually my step-mother, Khyri Blu who added to my game when Dad wasn't around."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. Khyri Blu, as in "THE" Khyri Blu?"

"Yeah. Legend has it that her and my Dad met in their childhood and grew up together, they hit it off somehow."

"... Your family just filled with all kinds of stardom, huh?" Soson blurted. "I mean, that kind of ammo, why not go to a powerhouse school? Why a major, and a mediocre school at that?"

"Same reason why you're here." Kairos retorted.

"Well, I'm here cause I knew I could make the team before elsewhere."

"Oh, well, I guess we don't have the same reasons." Kairos smugged. "I grew up here in Houston. And you're right, I could've went to a better school, but watching a Rice game on TV when I was a kid just hooked me in. I knew if I was going to go to college, I wanted to go here."

"Man, what kind of 17-year old are you? You're nothing of the norm. No video games, social media, girls, materials..."

"I mean, I still like those things and girls, it's just... Since my Dad passed, I had to grow up quicker than I needed to. I was the man of the house, I had to show poise and growth."

"Man, I can respect that. I know what it's like being the man of the house. My old man didn't die or anything, just up and left one day when I was 5."

"Yeah? He ever come back?" Kairos asked.

"Nah..."

"Well, then he's no different than a dead man. Once gone, always gone. Just something we have to learn to accept and move on in life with."

"... Man, that's cold. You talking about my Dad like he dead or something!"

Kairos sat up flustered from the faux disbelief, "My bad, I'm just relating to it."

"Nah, I'm messing man. I get you. Yo, not for nothing, though I know I won't be making it to the league like a talent of yours will, I'm glad I met you. You're alright."

"Thanks man, but don't sell your-self short. Even Kwame Brown made it. But I'm glad to have met you too man."

"Ah damn, Kwame Brown, who can forget that disappointment. The hall of fame bust of all bust." Soson laughs.

"And Dirko Milicic. 2nd Overall pick and NBA champion. Anything is possible, as Kevin Garnett says."

"Oh, you just full of wisdom, huh?"

[The Next Afternoon After Practice...]

"Alright boys, bring it in", Coach Pera commanded. In two days, we got our first in-season tournament game. Eastern Illinois Panthers. They're not making too much noise in the early goings, but that doesn't mean we can sleep on them. They're one of the top teams in steals for their conference, so ball control will be our priority. Black, have you gone over your playbook and take to your sets?"

"Yes, coach. But I'm more of a hands-on learner. Quicker that way for me."

"Understandable, but going over it is meant for you to recognize the play. You'll take to it soon enough over the coming games. You've been playing phenomenally, and better than our expectations, so the team will prioritize around in the coming few games, this is per your Team's captain request."

"Team Captain? You mean Marc?"

"Correct. Since you're the leading scorer on this team, it's his idea that we play inside-out over the next couple games and adapt from there. While it's not in my nature to take this chance on change, you've proven your-self capable and the team already believe in you. If you can show us you have what it takes against Eastern Illinois, Texas State and Texas, we'll slot you in as a primary option, so this is your challenge. You game?"

"Absolutely, coach. I won't disappoint."

"I look forward to you not. We only have seven non-conference games left, after that, every game must count more than the last. I have a good feeling about this year fellas, I think we can do something this year." Coach filled the atmosphere with hope.

Soson nudged Kairos, emphasizing on their conversation about the hype. Kairos began to think that maybe there was something to it.

"Alright, we'll be hitting Iowa for the tournament, so no practice tomorrow. Rest up, get prepared, and be ready... Practice is over."

With practice over, the team rallied for a chant and went their separate ways. While some stayed to put some shots up, Kairos and Soson grabbed a seat on the bleachers.

"Good workout, Kai. But I can't keep up with you, no matter how hard I try."

"Why you trying to keep up with me? Go at your own pace."

"I don't know, figured we make a little rivalry out of it. Friendly stakes, you know."

"Nah man, last thing we need at stake is our ego and one of us get hurt."

"You scared, just say that." Soson sneaks in a cheap shot playfully.

"And this is why the star, and you're just so-so." Kairos shoots back.

"... That's cold fam. I Thought we was boys?"

About 15 minutes later, a crowd from the top of the bleachers began to make their way down and lo and behold, the hazel-eyed girl was among them. Looking their way as she passes by, she gives off a slight smile, enough to be mesmerizing. The boys continued looking her way as she exited the gym, still taking the sweet aroma that lingered.

"Man... Kairos, you better go after that before I do."

"Come on, that's all you. She's giving you the advance."

"Stop it, you know good in well she sending those smiles your way, with her fine ass. I wouldn't mind taking a crack at her friend though."

"You really think she's checking for me?"

"Checked and checkmate, my man. That thang that she's thangin' is calling for you. Need to quit playing and get on that before some other jock do."

As the silence crept in til she disappeared, the boys looked on. Coach Pera catches wind and blows his whistle at them.

"Hey! Get off your asses and get out of here! Hit the locker room if you're not putting up shots!"

"Damn, let's get out of here!" Soson insisted.

A day blown by quickly and the boys were on the road to Iowa City. This game would mark the pivoting prospects for Kairos. The focus would be on him to lead the way. And if he would have it any way, deep down inside, Kairos preferred the spotlight on him. Like father, like son...

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 29 Jun 2022, 06:01

Agent

Post by Agent » 29 Jun 2022, 08:53

The PPG & RPG difference between the two teams is astounding. Rice bout to EAT Eastern Illinois.

mvp

Post by mvp » 29 Jun 2022, 12:40

Rice putting up NBA numbers

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 29 Jun 2022, 15:48

Agent wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 08:53
The PPG & RPG difference between the two teams is astounding. Rice bout to EAT Eastern Illinois.
mvp wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 12:40
Rice putting up NBA numbers
We only played four games compared to the rest of the nation. Think when we get more games in, those numbers will fill out more appropriately. For now, Rice be eating

chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 01 Jul 2022, 22:52

It's a wrap for the Panthers
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd