Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 20 Jun 2022, 02:57

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 20 Jun 2022, 16:02

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

With a fresh start and new perimeters to peruse, the young freshman, Kairos found him-self quickly adjusted than he expected at Rice University. It didn't take long for several people to mistake him for his father only to realize he was actually his son. This kind of attention didn't rub off too well with other athletes, but Kairos wouldn't allow that to be a distraction. Time flew by as the semester began and the school was preparing for the upcoming season. With midnight scrimmage and the roster finalized, Rice basketball was raring to go...

Coach Pera takes a sharp blow to his whistle, reining in the team, "Alright guys, that's enough for today. Listen up, you guys are looking sharp and receptive to each other, that's good. I want you guys to keep that up and build chemistry off of that. The season starts next week, I want us to be fresh starting the season, so we'll tone it down just a bit for the next few days. Come in, put shots up, a couple drills, run some plays. Then we'll turn things back up after game one. Don't ever think there's no room to grow. I don't care if you're a freshman or senior, always walk into this gym with the mind to be better. Any concerns, feel free to address them now."

Freshman Dwon Soson raises his hand, "Just wondering what's the line-up going to be."

"I'm actually was just coming to that. So when I call your name, step up to the front... Goff... Millage... Braxton... Soson... Black..."

Each member stood up front before the others. "This group will be our season starters. While this would be our most optimal line-up, understand there's no workload to great for any of you. Same goes for you guys, which to as I said before, come into this gym with the mind to be better." Coach Pera reiterated.

"Alright guys, bring it in. Owls on three. 1-2-3!"

"OWLS!!" The whole team chanted.

"Okay, get some shots up before you leave out of here fellas."

With practice officially over, Kairos took the opportunity to grab Coach Pera's attention. "Hey coach, mind if I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure kid, what's on your mind."

"Just want to say first, thank you for the opportunity to play for you. I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I got here. I know we talked in all during the recruiting, but I'm grateful to be on the final roster."

"Hey, you earned it. We're glad to have you. You're a hell of a talent and we're hoping to have a great season with you here."

"Thank you, that means a lot to me."

"Listen, keep this off the record, but you're the best we got right now. Those guys over there, they're good, even exceptional, but you're great. You got something they don't got. And there's no better way than throwing you into the frying pan to bring it out that great potential in you."

"I'm honored coach. I mean, all this is new to me, no pun intended. I'm honestly a bit nervous. Any advice you got to, you know, keep my mental."

"Just relax, take it one game at a time. Find your groove, your lane, and stick with it. Everything else will come to you. Always remember this, a missed opportunity is a lesson for the next time to take it, but in your case, to make it.."

Kairos quickly soaked in that advice. "I hear you on that. Thanks. Oh and hey, could you do me a solid and not give me any favorable treatment?"

"What gives you the idea that I would?" Coach Pera asked peculiarly.

"Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. It's just some people recognize me from my father, some people didn't take to kindly to it."

"Someone giving you problems already?"

"No, not exactly. More like just dirty looks, scrutiny, and what not. I'm not letting it bother me. But just want to make sure I'm treated as one of the guys here."

"How old are you again, Kairos?"

"17, sir."

"Listen to me, from where I stand, your maturity has already put you ahead of others for a kid your age. Take Seth for example. The typical jock who thought he knew it all. Took him a year and a half to get his act right and be humble. Your parents did well with you son, you have your head on right and that's half the battle won over your worries. Trust me, you'll do fine here."

"Thank you coach, I'll make sure that I do."

Both Kairos and Coach Pera shook hands with a pat on Kairos' back as he headed back to put up some shots to end his day. Kairos knew if he was to have a good season, he would have to put some respect on his name, but he couldn't afford to let his ego be a distraction...

[The day before the TCU game]

Kairos had just finished up his studies and was feeling a bit out of it from all the reading, thus deciding to take a nap in the student lounge. Dwon Soson entered the lounge and noticed Kairos unaware and took the opportunity to prank him.

"Young man, wake up this instance! Come to my office immediately, your behavior will not be tolerated and shall be reprimanded fittingly!"

Kairos jumps up with the book falling off his face into his lap, only to realize it was his teammate. "Soso, what do you want man? That wasn't funny, I'm trying to catch a few Z's"

"Whoa, sorry my man, couldn't let the moment pass to get you."

Kairos with a confusion on his face, "But I didn't get you, what gives?"

"Nothing." Soson plops on the sofa next to Kairos, "Just cause you're a freshman." Soson sips on his big gulp cup, batting his eyes.

"Man, you're creepy, you know that" Kairos let out a small chuckle.

"Yeah, that's why they love me. The creepy life of the party!"

"Yeah... That's enough sugar for you today."

"What's up man? Taking a break from studying? Too much for you?"

"Actually I just finished up. Just wanted to rest a bit for I hit the court and do some light work."

"Anxious for tomorrow, eh? TCU should be a fun one. Even funner for you since they're a push over team this year it seems."

"Don't. Underestimate. The. Competition. That's a lesson my father has instilled in me."

"Yo, speaking of your father, Recks was the man when he was in the NBA. Dominated the east and west, always made it look so easy. That's who been teaching you how to ball?"

"Yeah. He also told me that the NBA was no joke. No game was easy for him."

"Well, it sure looked like it. I'm sure he worked hard at his game, but man! He just made it look so effortless. I still remember that night he scored 82 points on Trae Young. That rivalry was nuts!"

"I'm glad you found my old man entertaining." It was clear that even though it's been four years since his father's passing, it still bothered him that he was gone. "Hey look, I'm head out, put that work in and get ready for tomorrow." Kairos stood up and began packing his bag.

"Oh, aight, I'll come with. I'll spot you." Soson insisted.

"You sure? I don't wanna take your time."

"Come on man, we're a team. Gotta make sure we're both on point. Gotta look good for the ladies. Speaking of ladies..."

Soson's tone caught Kairos attention to look where he was looking. At the front door, Kairos locked in on this one of the most gorgeous females he ever laid eyes on. Chocolate complexion, about 5'6" - 5'8", a nice figure with just enough curves and a million dollar smile underneath her hazel exotic eyes. Kairos was frozen along with Soson.

"So this is how they giving it up in Texas, huh?" Soson implied

The stunning woman made her way walking passed the two, looking their way with a smile, "Hey guys."

"Heeey.." The two responded with waves like they were in a trance. The girl smiles a little more as she falls out of view.

"Yo, I'm out of here. Ain't nothing but trouble in this place." Kairos insinuated.

"I'm right behind you my man, just uh, give me a few." Soson steady looking for the girl.

"Come on Soso! We got work to do!" Kairos shouted, yanking Soson with him.

While there was plenty of time for the two freshmen to get acquainted with the society at Rice, Kairos was right. There was work to do. The season started tomorrow and there was no time for distractions. Tomorrow was the beginning of their collegiate careers.

chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Jun 2022, 21:40

Nice intro. Interesting choice in Rice.

Don't let these women distract you. Although I'm sure Miss Hazel Eyes will be around soon enough.....
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 21 Jun 2022, 00:53

chosenone58 wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 21:40
Nice intro. Interesting choice in Rice.

Don't let these women distract you. Although I'm sure Miss Hazel Eyes will be around soon enough.....
Could've went to Houston, but that team is too good, along with Memphis. Hardly any teams that good as those two in CUSA, so the conference is still up for grabs almost. Although Kairos is the best player on the team, he's now contending with a nationwide scale of players that far better than him. Didn't want to put him on a too lesser of a team where he stands out as a superstar with no help, and didn't want him on a team too that he's getting overcast. Think is Rice is a sweet spot. Plus, they're a team that haven't had much success since 1970 :rip:

You know my boy is still at that young tender age :mischief:

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 21 Jun 2022, 04:57

Last edited by The JZA on 21 Jun 2022, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

mvp

Post by mvp » 21 Jun 2022, 12:45

My dude is back :blessed:

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 21 Jun 2022, 16:43

mvp wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 12:45
My dude is back :blessed:

Alway been here fam

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 21 Jun 2022, 18:35

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 21 Jun 2022, 19:37

kibaxx7

Post by kibaxx7 » 21 Jun 2022, 23:00

Always great to see a CHoops story :bowdown:
× The Life and Times of Tanjiro Sakai ×
× Watching: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Echo ×
× Watched:
Romeo + Juliet (1996), Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - To the Hashira Training (2024), Paper Moon (1973) ×