Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 20:01

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 20:04

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 20:04

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 20:05

chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 07 Jul 2023, 21:19

The JZA wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 18:59
chosenone58 wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 22:45
Chi Town 8-)
Looking forward to seeing how the East treats Kairos
Chicago was damn near dead last at the end of last season, so I think the only place we can go is up. Who did they draft this year? They had to have a Top 3 pick.
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 23:37

chosenone58 wrote:
07 Jul 2023, 21:19
Chicago was damn near dead last at the end of last season, so I think the only place we can go is up. Who did they draft this year? They had to have a Top 3 pick.
Funnily enough, they did have the 3rd overall pick. All that is in the upcoming chapter.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Jul 2023, 23:44

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 08 Jul 2023, 15:13

RE-UNITED (CENTER)

"So, Chicago, huh?"

"Yeah, that's the plan."

"You found a place there yet? To lay your things and so?"

"Yeah, actually, Tiny hooked me up with a condo outside the city, about 45 minutes out. It's a nice area."

"Good, I'm glad you're not staying in the city. It's too dangerous in the metro."

"Yeah, I know Mom. It ain't Fresno where we're going to be staying, but it'll do."

"We?" Khyri asked. "Who else staying with you?"

"Uh... It's Jade, she'll be staying with me. She's moving in with me..."

"That girl you told me about that you met a few months ago? Are you serious?"

"... Yeah, mom, her."

"Don't you think it's a little too soon for y'all two to be living together?"

"Maybe so, but it's our decision. I really this girl, she's cool on the level. Smart girl, runs her own business. She's even going to be my assistant for all my off-the-court affairs."

"How much do you know of this girl, honestly, Kairos?"

"Enough. I know it sounds crazy, but we've been kicking it really close lately. I want to get to know her a lot more, so there's no better way to than just live together." Kairos explained. Khyri wasn't hearing it though, yet she bit her tongue for him.

"Listen, it just seems like a lot right now, you're just getting your career going, moving to a new city. You should be exploring yourself and exploring life. The last thing I want is you to get caught up in these games these little hoodrats be running, trying to get free meals and a free ride into financial security by getting knocked up by you."

"I hear you Ma, trust I do. But don't worry about that, kids are off the table for a good while. Besides, the relationship is fresh, we're stilling finding our footing. I honestly think she's into this if she's up to move from Utah and L.A. to go to Chicago with me. That gotta mean something, right?"

"I don't know Kairos, you tell me. Her doing so puts you in the position to take care of her. What if things don't work out, then what? What you gonna do? Put her on the streets? Honey, I just want you safe and you to take care of your-self, that goes for your mental, emotions, and spirit. I need nothing malicious coming your way."

"I know Mom, and I love you for it. Trust, I know if anything happens, you'll be on the first flight out."

"You better believe it!!" Khyri shouted. "But okay, I'll let you handle things your way, you're grown. Yet. When you going to bring her around and introduce her to me."

"Soon enough. Thinking next year."

"Next year???"

"Yeah. If we're going strong still, nothing shaky, then I'll bring her around. I got Taurie and the twins to think about. I don't want to bring anybody in their lives that they may have an impression on them that you don't agree with. So, just bare with me Ma."

"Okay... That's the best answer you've given me so far... So what's on your agenda today?"

"We're heading to a press conference, do a little Q&A and a couple flicks for the camera. Then, as I understand it, I got a face-to-face with the Owner, a Jerry Reinsdorf, if I remember his name correctly. Tiny told me that MJ talked to him about me and he wanted to see me."

"Michael Jordan?"

"Yeah. That guy."

"Don't be calling him "MJ" so casually, like y'all best friends." Khyri joked.

"What you mean? The man literally gave me his calf sleeve he wore with the Bulls."

"What? You serious? You're lying."

Kairos proceeds to send a already taken photo with the sleeve to his mother via text.

"Oh my God! He really gave you that?! Why am I just learning of this?!"

"Man, it still haven't sunk in for me yet. He gave it to me to wear or to savor it as a charm."

"Boy, you put that on and that's a plus five across the board in your attributes!"

The two shared a good laugh, just as Jade started to awake from her slumber during the car ride.

"Hey Ma, let me call you back... Alright, I love you more. Later." Kairos wraps up his phone call and shuts his phone off, allowing it to charge uninterrupted. "Hey sleepy head , sorry if I woke you."

"No, I've been up for a bit now. Was resting my eyes. I didn't want to disturb you while you was talking."

"Oh, okay. How much did you hear?"

"Enough. Sounds like your Mom trust that you're in good hands with me."

"Heard that much, huh? Sorry about that. I'm sure she'll come around when you meet her."

"I get it, she's just being a mom. I'd be worried if she wasn't protective of you. Kinda makes me happy that she cares for your well-being."

"Just kinda?" Kairos playfully retorted.

"You know what I mean. How long til we're there? I'd love nothing more than to get out this car and stretch my legs."

"You're like 4'5", you can stretch right here and now Jade" Kairos joked. Jade wanted to attack him, but giving that he's driving, she promise to bide her time. Nevertheless, the couple were minutes out from the Bulls facility, where their new chapter in life begins...

[Two Hours Later...]

"Thank you! That's all the time we have for today." the press mediator had announced. After spending time in front of the cameras and the media, Kairos was happy to put that behind him and enjoy the moment of his elated partner that the Bulls had drafted, none other than Trent Garrison.

"Yo man! I can't believe it! You're actually here in Chicago!" Trent exuberated. "I never would've thought in a million years that we would be teaming up in the NBA, this is crazy!"

"Haha, I'm glad you're this happy about it, I am too. But you getting drafted from G-League to Chicago made it an easy choice for me."

"Awh man, you're pulling strings to my heart bro!" Trent couldn't stop giddying over his best friend being back in the picture.
The last time they were a duo was back in school at Olentangy Orange High School. Trent Garrison had a bit of a journey to the NBA, first playing overseas then in the G-League. To be taken third overall in the draft by the Chicago Bulls, it was clear that they thought highly of his talents.

"So, wait, what happened in Utah? You were doing well out there. They didn't offer you a contract?"

"Nah, they did. They wanted me to be the next face of the franchise. And it was an enticing offer, no doubt. But some of the guys I really want to continue to playing with there went their own way. It was still an option until you got drafted bro. It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up."

"Man, you're going to be the face of the franchise no matter where you go, that's a fact. But hey, I'm happy to be here. I'm even more happy that you're here. Chicago just got themselves a duo that they'll never forget."

"Sheesh, you forget those jerseys in the rafters? That's a tall order to compare. Even a D. Rose & Jimmy Buckets combo is tough to beat."

"Yeah I know, but dream big. Before it's all said and done, your jersey is going to be right up there next to the NBA Gods. Mark. My. Words."

"There you are." After a lengthy conversation, the boys was interrupted by the feminine voice that approached them from behind.

"Daaamn, who this?" Garrison asked, checking out Jade.

"Aye, put your jaw up. This is my girlfriend, Jade Remy. She also happens to be my assistant."

"Damn kid, you doing well I see." Trent smiles at Kairos for a second. "My apologies for my lack of professionalism. I'm Trent Garrison. Kairos and I used to play high school ball together."

"No offense taken, and it's nice to meet you. I'm sorry to interfere in y'all reunion, but do you mind if I steal him from you, we have a meeting to get to in about a half-hour."

"It's almost time for that meeting already?" Kairos asked, seemingly losing track of time.

"Mhm"

"Hey, no worries. Plenty more time for us to kick it before training starts."

"No doubt, TG. I'ma hit you up later tonight. If you're not doing anything, we can link up for some hoops."

"Awesome, sounds like a plan. I'll see you tonight then. Again, it's nice to meet you. Take care of my boy for me, make sure he stays out of trouble." Trent jokes.

As the trio parted ways, Kairos and Jade headed out the facility to book it to Jerry Reinsdorf's office nearby in the city, but not before a quick change out the suit Kairos was dying to get out of. It wasn't long til they made it their destination with a few minutes to spare.

"You sure you want to go in dress like that? First impressions and all." Jade asked.

"It's summertime babe, and it's hot as hell of all days. I'm sure the owner won't mind if it's just a face to face talk."

"Okay, your call. Wishing you the best." Jade gives him a kiss just as before he departs the rental car.

"Thanks babe, I'll try not to be long, I don't want you baking to a crisp in this sun."

Kairos makes his way inside and speaks to the representative at the front desk. After giving his name and a couple minutes, Kairos was guided to his office. Kairos couldn't help but notice how closely she rep was walking with him. Swaying her slightly wide hips more than it needed to be. For a middle-aged blonde Caucasian woman, she wasn't bad looking at all, very sophisticated look to her. Her lavender perfume left a trail of seduction of the sorts, but Kairos had to hold his composure and not laugh. It was apparent to him, and maybe she wanted it to be just as transparent, but Kairos knew better.

"Here we are, Mr. Black. He's waiting inside for you."

"Thank you, I appreciate the assistance."

"Anytime, Mr. Black."

"(A for effort, lady, a for effort)" Kairos monologue to himself as he entered the office. "Mr. Reinsdorf, sorry to keep you waiting."

"Hey, Kairos, call me Jerry. It's no problem at all, I say we're about a few minutes early."

"My parents drilled in my head that "you're late when you're on time", so I make it my priority to be as early as possible."

"I like where your head is at. I need more guys with that mentality on my payroll, people these days have lost the translation that time is money."

"I hear you, sir- uh, Jerry."

"So, big MJ fan? I see you here with the North Carolina jersey, the necklace. One of those fanboys, aren't you?"

"I wouldn't say "fanboy" is the proper term to bill me, but I am huge fan of his. Not only am I fan, I'm also a part of his Jordan Brand family. He's taken well care of us since my father."

"That's excellent. I talked to Michael about a week ago, he had some highly touted regards of you."

"Oh, did he? I'm glad to have his good graces with you."

"I'm sorta surprised he didn't try to sell you onto the Hornets."

"I won't lie, I would have loved to play under Jordan in Charlotte, but I think what they have there is too set in stone for me. But that's a dream deferred as I'm here for the next four years. My dedication and loyalty to is the Bulls ball club."

"I like that attitude. Keep that mindset, and you're going to just as much as Michael is to Chicago, maybe more. Chicago has some very hardcore fans."

"That's an understatement about them. They're fanatics. I know they've been hungry for another title."

"We all are. It's been too long if you ask me..."

A sudden silence fell into the room as Jerry Reinsdorf was lost in thought. "Sir?" Kairos tries to snap him back to the conversation.

"Sorry! My apologies. Just one of those spells when you get my age."

"Nothing to worry about. It happens to us all when we have something heavy on our minds."

"Right, right. So, listen. We have a very old team, you and the new kid we brought in-"

"Trent Garrison. Yeah, we spoke earlier at the press. He used to go to school together. He's one of the reasons why I'm here." Kairos interjected.

"Oh, is that right? So this may be just a bit easier than I originally thought."

"What do you mean?"

"Last season wasn't so hot for us. We brought in some fresh talent, but as you can see as I said before, our roster is still old. With you here, and having some history with Garrison, perhaps we can work a two-man lead."

"That sounds like an idea I can get behind. But where does that leave the vets? Can't just outcast them."

"Oh, not at all, but I'm sure they understand their role in progress than regress. I don't run much of the day-to-day operations, I leave that to the General Manager. He brought in a new head coach who's been hot on the market. She's made some waves on the college level, as well as in the WNBA for the Chicago Sky. My presumption is that she'll do great here with you two."

"Okay, I'm with you so far."

"My only demands is for my team to get younger and better. From what I hear, there's a crop of talent that's going to be bountiful over the next couple of seasons. And the other, is for you to take this team where it needs to go."

"Hey, I'm with you both fronts Jerry, but with all due respect, I won't shave games to help this team tank. I'm here to win by any means. If we lose games, that's only because the other team got the better of us. I've only been in the league for a year, but I'm sure even you seen what I can do. But more importantly, I hold my teammates accountable, rookie or veteran. We're all equals on the court for 48 minutes. I just want to win as much as you do."

Jerry silently stands up before Kairos and extends his hand. Without hesitation, Kairos comply to the handshake.

"Kairos, I've made some really bonehead decision during my day as a full-time overseer. I only hope you and your friend pay off big time for us."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure it does. No pressure."

With that, the two gave a smile and finalized their conversation. Kairos was relief to get to the end of it. For one not to be into the politic side of basketball, Kairos had a knack for being a stand up guy and delivering. One of the best traits that his father Recks passed on to him.

"Hey babe, how'd the meeting with Mr. Reinsdorf go?" Jade asked as Kairos returned to the car.

"No pressure..."

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 08 Jul 2023, 16:52

Agent

Post by Agent » 08 Jul 2023, 17:35

man's been getting to work on these updates. Nice write up. Hopefully Jade remains a good character throughout this thread