The Mis-Education of Noah Baldwin (2027 - ???)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Agent

Post by Agent » 18 Dec 2022, 05:02

Gonna be a fun season :bowdown:

mvp

Post by mvp » 19 Dec 2022, 09:23

air yordan with the walk-off

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 19 Dec 2022, 19:39

Gonna be a great season for the Baldwins, but I expect some rocky roads along the way. Perhaps some egos and shoulders with chips :scratchchin:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Dec 2022, 17:04

Agent wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 05:02
Gonna be a fun season :bowdown:
Most def
mvp wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 09:23
air yordan with the walk-off
Let’s go ‘Stros!
The JZA wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 19:39
Gonna be a great season for the Baldwins, but I expect some rocky roads along the way. Perhaps some egos and shoulders with chips :scratchchin:
I’ll see what type of drama I can cook up off the court this season.
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Dec 2022, 21:29

Derek Baldwin versus the World: A Tale as Old as Time

IT STARTED WITH AN EXCLUSIVE CAMP. Then a game at the Drew League. Then the infamous Instagram post. Before we knew it, rumors were circulating that the ten-time NBA champion, 6-time NBA Finals MVP, 3-time league MVP, Derek Baldwin was looking to go for one more title. The question then was: where will he play? We got our answer shortly when the New York Knicks posted that Baldwin had been signed to a one-year deal.

In taking this deal with the Knicks, one of the NBA’s greatest players was asked to step into a role that he hasn’t played in a while: Sixth Man. For what he calls the “opportunity of a lifetime” he is more than willing to give it a shot. “I haven’t consistently come off the bench since my first season in Chicago. But I didn’t hesitate, I know Coach Silas is trying develop these younger guys. I’ll get mine. I’m not worried about that. I’m willing to do whatever the team needs done to make this happen.”

This season, Derek Baldwin will play his last season alongside his nephew, Noah Baldwin II. Something fans got a glimpse of for All-Star Weekend in Las Vegas will be a real thing all season long and will hopefully end in an NBA Championship for the Knicks.

This isn’t just a comeback for comeback’s sake. Baldwin says he sees a lot of potential in this Knicks team, and he really wanted to impart some wisdom to the players here. He doesn’t plan on stepping on any toes, but he sees himself as sort of a player-coach. It isn’t an opportunity to kick his feet up either and collect an 11th ring.

“I talked with Coach Silas. The whole staff. This wasn’t something that I just demanded or bogarted my way into. This was almost two weeks of discussion. Practically from day one of free agency. Management, coaching staff, and players. Same as when I joined the Nets as a player. I’m not just gonna walk into anybody else’s house. Do I think these guys need me? No. Do I think they can benefit from having me here? Absolutely. And I plan to practice what I preach. I’m not just here to come in and try and tell these guys what to do. My mama always taught me to show my work. It’s not about just winning a championship. That’s been proven, but it’s learning how to win a championship that’s important.”

The Knicks faithful are very excited about having him in the blue and orange and the increased chance of a championship. The first call Baldwin made before he signed the contract with New York: Spike Lee. The 72-year old film maker is a lifelong Knicks fan and he and Baldwin have had their friendly spats over the years. This will be Lee’s first film in 5 years.

“He thought I was joking when I told him I was signing with the Knicks,” he says with a laugh. “I had to call him on FaceTime and show him the contract. We got the whole moment recorded. Then I asked him if he wouldn’t mind filming me this last season. I couldn’t think of a better person to capture this with all the love and attention to detail as I know Spike will. I told him I would send him the footage that I had from us actually signing the contract since we were in Los Angeles. I know he wanted to get everything in that moment, so I made sure to capture that for him.”

Baldwin had a documentary done by the Clippers’ most faithful fan, Billy Crystal during his third season in Los Angeles. It focused on his arrival in Los Angeles and trying to get that coveted three-peat. He says it wasn’t a distraction for the team then and he hopes it won’t be a distraction this season.

“Spike is a professional.”

Derek Baldwin said that he was glad to have this season documented.

“I’m glad I’m going to be able to look back on all these moments. I’m excited for the fans to be able to share in this too. I’m expecting this to be one of the best seasons of my career. Like, I’m ready to go right now. Opening night will be something special.”

We have a feeling that more than the first game of the season will be special.

One thing about the NBA is that it continues to get younger. Less than four months ago, a fresh crop of 19 and 20 year olds heard their names called by Commissioner Adam Silver. While this only his 12th season in the NBA, the fact remains that he will be turning 42 in exactly two months. Despite showing us that he hasn’t lost a step, knowing that this is his last season is different. For 82 days or nights this season, his tendons and hamstrings willing, Baldwin will face younger players looking to challenge him one-on-one one last time. At this point, Baldwin is the equivalent of Muhammad Ali going toe to toe with a succession of George Foremans from October to April – or longer.

“The only difference is, this is a team sport,” said a smiling Baldwin when I mentioned the comparison. “When I came back in 2025, I came back to dominate. That was my heat check season at thirty-eight years old. You know, to show everybody, and myself, that I could still do this. I may have to ice the knees a bit longer at the end of the night, but trust and believe I will be ready to roll.”

During Baldwin’s three years in retirement and his two and a half years on the bench as head coach, the NBA still belonged to him. No one had left a mark on the game since he had last left it. No one played like Derek, drew ratings like Derek, or delivered championships like Derek.

“What makes it great is that I’m going out there with a team of tough SOBs. They’ve got my back and I’ve got theirs.”

In comparison to Michael Jordan’s return to Washington in 2001, where he joined a team that only had 19 wins the season prior, Brooklyn had been to Eastern Conference Finals during Baldwin’s last season as head coach. And many critics have seen this as Baldwin’s chance to coast, joining a team that took his former team to six games last season in the Eastern Conference Finals. But Derek shrugs it all off. He lets the work that he does in the offseason speak for him.

“I’ve been dealing with critics my whole career. I shouldn’t have left Chicago. I shouldn’t have come out of retirement and just stuck to coaching in Brooklyn. I should have just retired this summer and not signed with New York. Nothing I ever do is good enough. So, I have to ignore it. If I try to please everybody, I won’t please anybody.”

Even though he probably won’t work out with the team every session, he plans to actively participate in at least two-thirds of the practices as long as his body is up to it. He has taken other precautionary measures to ensure that he is ready to play over the course of this long season. His diet has changed over that past few years. He’s been down to 212 pounds during his second stint, down from the 225 he was at during his time in Chicago and Los Angeles.

“I always tried to eat well during the season, but I do have a serious sweet tooth. I also realize that I’m not 28 anymore. So I have to go about things differently.”

There were quite a few players that Baldwin mentioned that he was looking forward to facing for his final run. Atlanta’s Aaron Wennington among those. The 29 year old small forward was the first name that came to mind.

“He got drafted the year I retired. He got his first ring that year too. So, it’s always been a wonder of what if I was still in Los Angeles that season. He was such a raw talent out there in L.A. I know we would have had some great matchups in Staples. Since I’ve been back, it’s always a battle when I’m playing at the small forward spot. Sometimes I’ll guard him just for the hell of it because I love the challenge.

Other players he mentioned included Boston’s Bryce James, Indiana’s Troy Peters, Las Vegas’ Wendell Gray and Jaxon Bass, Sacramento’s Cayden Boozer, and San Antonio’s Andre Iguodala, Jr.

And of course, his former teammate, Keith Perkins.

“Gotta save the best for last. I may have to request special permission to guard him as I don’t see myself playing point guard too much this season. But with four games slated, we’ll definitely get some one on one time out there. He’s a competitor. So am I. It’s gonna be great.”

We can’t wait to see it.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Dec 2022, 21:36

Nets Look to Carry on Lessons Learned from Derek Baldwin

THE NBA LANDSCAPE HAS CHANGED ONCE AGAIN. And the biggest change came from the Nets locker room as Derek Baldwin has decided not to return to the team this season.

“It was bittersweet, but we understood what he had the chance to do,” said two-time MVP Keith Perkins. “It’s kind of a once in a lifetime thing. So, we respect that, but we are coming after him with everything we’ve got this season.”

Perkins and Baldwin developed a sibling relationship over the six years Derek Baldwin was in Brooklyn. It didn’t start out well, leading to Perkins nearly demanding a trade early at the start of Baldwin’s tenure as coach, but the end result was undeniable.

The Nets returned to the Eastern Conference Finals in the first two years of Baldwin serving as head coach and won four championships once he returned to the hardwood as their teammate. He was a mentor and coach.

“We just have to take everything he taught us and apply it,” said Perkins. “That was the great thing about him, he didn’t just give us championships, but he taught us how to win championships.”

Perkins and two-time MVP Shareef O’Neal will now be looked upon as the leaders for this Brooklyn team. Despite not being the oldest players there, they have been on the team the longest and will serve as co-captains again this season.

“This is our team. This is our time,” said O’Neal. “We appreciate everything that we’ve learned, but now it’s time for us to show that we can carry this load. We all knew this day would eventually come. We prepared for it last season. Keith and I were more vocal in practices and in the locker room. We understand the enormity of the season, but we are trying not to get bogged down by it.”

The Nets have added a lot of young talent to add to the depth of their team, most notably Andrej Stojakovic, son of former NBA player, Peja Stojakovic. Andrej came into the NBA undrafted and has been a bit of a journeyman his first three seasons in the NBA. He’s hoping to get the opportunity to prove himself as a member of this Nets team.

Drafting Jamal Cross, who was projected as a mid-first round pick out of USC, was a solid pickup for the Nets as well. A defensive minded NBA wing, the Nets are expecting him to contribute as a backup to shooting guard Andre Palmer.

Palmer will step in as starting shooting guard for the Nets. He averaged 5.6ppg last season for the Nets playing in a back up role. He returned to the team after playing one season with the Las Vegas Venom after being selected in the 2028 expansion draft. He was a starter for the Venom and averaged 12.8ppg. The team expects to see an increase his production with his increase in minutes.

Head Coach Kobe Bryant is very eager to start the season, even more so now that a key piece of his offense is missing. Brooklyn does not plan to rest on their laurels.

“I always have and always will love a challenge. This season will be just that. We have to retool. Who is going to step up and be that guy for us? How are we going to band together and get back to the place that we have gotten so familiar with these past four years? We have something to prove and I think these guys will revel in that.”

Show us what you got, Brooklyn.

Name|POS|OVR|Age
Keith Perkins|PG|90|28
Shareef O’Neal|PF|88|29
Nate Matthews|C|82|26
Adam Demps|PG|80|25
Andre Palmer|SG|79|27
Tony Solomon|C|79|34
Jamal Cross|SG|78|23
Damontas Sabonis|C|77|33
Davor Gallagher|PF|75|35
Jim Manning|SF|76|23
Quincy Franklin|C|76|24
Isaiah Barnes|PG|74|21
Andrej Stojakovic|SG|78|25
Emmanuel Dupin|PF|76|20
Immanuel Quickley|PG|73|29

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Dec 2022, 21:39

Knicks Ready to Take Over as Kings of New York

THE NEW YORK KNICKS IMPRESSED EVERYBODY LAST SEASON, setting a franchise record with 67 wins. After having not been in the playoffs for 11 years, to making back to back trips these past two seasons, to making it to the Eastern Conference Finals and taking the reigning and eventual champion Nets to 6 games, Knicks fans have something to get excited about. And if all goes as expected, this season will be one for the history books in a lot of ways.

The Knicks suffered a few key losses this season, the first being their team captain and starting point guard Ryan Russell to retirement. Next would be losing Sebastio Saramago and RJ Barrett to free agency, signing with Chicago and Washington, respectively. Despite playing like a well-oiled machine for most of the season, sources close to the team state that Saramago and Barrett were not impressed with all of the attention that seemed to follow Rookie of the Year Noah Baldwin II on and off the court.

While most would certainly say that Baldwin earned his stripes last season, especially when 15-year veteran, Russell, went out for two stretches with injuries, not everyone agreed. Most felt he was getting all this consideration as a result of a halo effect because of his last name.

“I can’t help how people feel,” the younger Baldwin said during an interview with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson on their All the Smoke podcast. “I’m just out there doing my thing. And my thing is we were winning. Who gets mad that somebody else is getting more attention than them when we’re all winning? That’s weird to me.”

Time will tell if Noah can back up all of his talk this season as his uncle will be joining the Knicks for what Derek Baldwin promises will be his twelfth and final season in the NBA. The Baldwins teamed up briefly during All-Star Weekend as Noah was selected as the first reserve for NBA All-Star Game in Las Vegas. And once people saw them playing together in the Drew League this summer, tongues really began to wag, as there had been much speculation about whether or not Derek should join the Knicks for one last dance.

“The people asked, and I answered. I’m not just doing this for them though. I want to make history. On several levels. But only if it makes sense. Y’all know that’s what I’m about. I’ve never been one to force myself on a team. I don’t chase records for the sake of chasing records. That’s whack. That’s not me.”

Derek Baldwin has brought rings everywhere that he has landed. From two championships in Chicago to four in Los Angeles and another four in Brooklyn, now he’s looking to do the same in New York. But it’s about more than that for him this time. He is looking to come on as a mentor for this young Knicks’ squad and will do his best not to take away anything from what this team is trying to accomplish this season.

“A championship is always the goal, but on our quest to getting that championship, I want to help develop these young guys. Bring a real veteran presence to the locker room.”

Joining Derek will be former New York Knick and Brooklyn Net, Joe Hood.

Hood was drafted by the Knicks in 2014 and was named Sixth Man of the Year in 2015. He was expected to fill the gap that Carmelo Anthony left behind after joining Josh Smith and the Raptors. Hood averaged nearly 22 points per game in his first five seasons before suffering a knee injury in 2019 that had him sidelined for the rest of the year. The Knicks decided not to offer an extension and instead, pinned their hopes on Gary Payton II. Hood played one season in Boston before returning to New York to play for the Nets. He provided a veteran presence for that team alongside former teammate Paul George and has four championship rings to boot. When Derek signed with the Knicks, he jumped at the chance to re-join the team.

“I would love to win a championship for the franchise that drafted me. Things didn’t end well the first go around, but that was over a decade ago. It’s water under the bridge.”

Still a fan favorite, seeing Hood back in the blue and orange is a treat for Knicks fans. Much love has been shown on social media in regard to his return. So much so, that Remy Benoit has decided to give up his jersey number so that Hood can be back in his original 30 for the season. Benoit will wear the number 9 this season and the foreseeable future.

“It was the least I could do.”

Another number swap is Obi Toppin. Toppin normally wears number 1 for the Knicks, but Toppin will wear 34 this season to allow Baldwin to go back to the number that he’s worn since he joined the Clippers in 2016.

It’s safe to say that the Knicks have rebounded from the loss of Barrett and Saramago in a major way. Now that they seem to have every single piece in place from the starters to the bench, a championship seems to be the next step. If not, this will be seen as a wasted effort and a vanity attempt by Baldwin.

“The same thing was said when I joined the Nets four years ago,” said Derek. “Tell Skip Bayless and Trip to ease up. I’m not sweating it. These young fellas want that trophy. And I want to help them get that trophy. They almost got it last season. And I want to help instill the tools to help them get that trophy again and again after I’m gone.”

It’s championship or bust in New York.

Name|POS|OVR|Age
Noah Baldwin|PG|85|21
Derek Badwin|SG/SF|83|41
Rui Haichimura|PF|80|32
Anthony Howard, Jr.|PG|79|21
Chet Holmgren|C|79|28
Remy Benoit|SF|78|23
Shaquir O’Neal|SG|78|27
Wen Jackson|PG|78|21
Mitchell Robinson|C|77|32
Obi Toppin|PF|77|32
Joe Hood|SF|76|37
Carter Barnes|SF|76|20
Glenn Robinson III|SF|72|35
Seth Curry|SG|70|40

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 22 Dec 2022, 11:27

The fact that Seth is still hanging around. Hope his 3-ball is still money

Agent

Post by Agent » 23 Dec 2022, 05:45

:will: #1 & #2

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 29 Dec 2022, 01:02

The JZA wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 11:27
The fact that Seth is still hanging around. Hope his 3-ball is still money
He'll probably retire a Knick. He gets the job done when needed.
Agent wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 05:45
:will: #1 & #2
:blessed: