The Mis-Education of Noah Baldwin (2027 - ???)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Sep 2021, 21:13

Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Sep 2021, 21:20

Thanksgiving
I sat in the car in silence. I hate losing. My mother and I were headed over to my uncle’s place for Thanksgiving. We’re celebrating a little early this year because the Nets are usually on the road and this year is no different. So, my mom flew down and baked three sweet potato pies. Two for today and one for me to get me out of my funk.

The usual suspects were at dinner tonight. My cousin Devin and his wife Carmen; Aunt Naya’s brother, Mychal and his wife, both sets of grandparents, and finally there was my uncle’s shadow, Adam Demps, and his mom. He’s basically been part of my uncle’s and by extension, my life since Uncle D got drafted to the Bulls back in 2013. Uncle D had been there for him through everything, high school, college, even drafted him to the Nets two years ago. Invited him to summer workouts with us and everything. He tries to do this “big brother” routine with me, and the shit just gets under my skin a little bit.

Dinner went by without consequence and then the men got into some basketball talk. Of course, the Nets are off to a hot start this season, so there wasn’t much talk about that. Then everyone’s attention turned to me. Specifically, the loss to Florida on Saturday.

Adam was the first to speak up, as usual. “Don’t let this loss get you bogged down, man. You were playing your ass off in that game. Just a few missed opportunities. For instance, that one play, when Dunn picked off that pass. You kind of rushed that one a little bit. If you wanna look at the film, we can go over the play.”

“Yeah, no thanks, man. I’m good.” I said dryly.

Before we could get into anything deeper, my phone rang alerting me to a FaceTime call. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and saw Sydni’s at the top of the screen. I excused myself and went into my bedroom.

“Perfect timing.”

“Dinner going that bad?”

“Not really. We just got started with the sports talk and Adam was ready to give his two cents.”

“You really don’t like that guy, huh?”

I decided to redirect the conversation. “How are things in Las Palmas?”

“You haven’t been following?”

“I’ve been a little busy. I didn’t catch the game this past Saturday. Too busy losing to Florida. Tell me one of us won this weekend.”

“We beat Maresme by twelve. But they’re kinda low ranked, so it was expected.”

“Right. And how did you do?”

“Not too bad. Fifteen points, ten rebounds, like six assists.”

“I see you, Baller.”

“You know how I do.”

“Those sessions worked out this summer, I see. You’re welcome.”

“I’m what?”

“Stop playing.”

“Ain’t nobody playing, but you. Speaking of thanks. My brother said to tell you thanks.”

“For what?”

“For busting their ass first game of the season.”

“He’s…..welcome?”

She laughed at the look of confusion on my face.

“He said they have been playing much better. They haven’t lost a game since.”

“I’m just helping the Franklin’s all around, huh? That’s what’s up.”

“I’m not doing this with you,”
she said laughing. “Give the fam my best and enjoy your early Turkey Day.”

“Will do.”

We disconnected our bi-weekly call, and I went to join my family for dessert. Thankfully, the conversation moved to football and whether the Jets were really going to make it to the playoffs.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 05 Sep 2021, 21:22

Summary:A bucket getter, Gregg Whitman is so smooth, skilled and just makes it look effortless, like the way Lou Williams could score in bunches. Some players just have a knack for scoring and Gregg definitely has it. During his freshman season at Miami he averaged 19ppg but on only 40% shooting from the field and 33.5% from 3. The percentages aren’t great and the shot selection could use some improvement but it was clear that he can put the ball in the basket.

A three level scorer, Whitman is so good at getting his own shot, whether from mid range or taking it all the way to lane where he can finish with floaters and creative lay ups. He’s got a very quick first step and really puts his head down and drives the ball hard. He’s a bit undersized in terms of height but he’s well built and is a high level athlete with a very good motor. Needs to get more consistent shooting from 3 and work on his shot selection. At this point he’s not much of a play-maker for others, averaging just 2.2 assists (1.2 turnovers) on the season. Gregg is looking like a likely first rounder.

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 07 Sep 2021, 05:05

So... Sydni got game :hmm:

Jets & playoffs, what kind of Disney story is this?

Agent

Post by Agent » 07 Sep 2021, 10:11

Whitman got cooooooked against St John tho!

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 07 Sep 2021, 19:32

The JZA wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 05:05
So... Sydni got game :hmm:

Jets & playoffs, what kind of Disney story is this?
It's 2027..... I figure anything can happen at this point :shrug:
Agent wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 10:11
Whitman got cooooooked against St John tho!
We don't fuck around....

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 12 Sep 2021, 13:30

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 12 Sep 2021, 13:41

Wise Words from a Decent Man

Derek Baldwin's Hotel Room - 8AM

“I am forty as fuck.” Derek muttered to himself, standing in the bathroom mirror looking at the two gray hairs in his goatee. I’m going gray. I can’t believe this, he thought to himself.

“Forty isn’t that bad.” Naya said around a yawn as she leaned against the doorframe wearing a hotel bathrobe.

“Why are you up?”

“Well, I was going to give you a repeat performance this morning for your actual birthday, but imagine my surprise when you weren’t lying next to me.”

The Nets had a few days off before their game against Charlotte, so Derek decided to head down to Florida to see his nephew Noah and St. John’s compete in the Hoophall Miami Invitational. They were taking on Syracuse, so it was going to be a big thing. Derek was going to meet his team in Charlotte the next night. It pays to be a veteran and one of the more prolific players on the team. His coaches and teammates trusted him enough and don’t make a huge fuss about him not attending every practice at this stage in his career.

The entire Baldwin clan was in town for the game. So, he and his wife were able to have a little alone time the night before his birthday. Naya went all out. She booked a room at the W hotel, made dinner reservations at Il Gabbiano, where they were joined by Derek’s parents, his nephew and a few of close friends, followed by dancing and drinks at a Latin night club. Then they went back to the hotel for more grownup activities while his parents had the kids for the night.

“I’m going gray, babe.” He said, turning around so she could see his goatee.

She squinted at him for a second before saying anything. “They are barely there. Talk to me when there’s a little more snow on the roof, okay?”

“Yeah, you’re right.”
He said as he walked past her out of the bathroom. “I could be coloring my shit every six weeks like you do.”

He ran into the suite although there wasn’t anywhere for him to really go. She chased him around the room, throwing several pillows at his head. Somehow, he managed to get trapped between the bed and the wall, so he waved the corner of the sheet in surrender. She hit him repeatedly across the head with the pillow she was holding before relenting and collapsing next to him on the bed.

“Just for that comment you’re not getting any this morning.”

They sat on the bed in silence for about ten seconds before they both broke into laughter because THAT was a lie. She only held out on him when she was really mad.

“You think you got some more juice left in the tank, old man?”

He pulled her into his lap and kissed her. “More than enough.”

Derek and Naya were interrupted by his phone ringing. It was Noah’s ring tone.

“Damn it! Give me like two minutes, babe.”

“You got thirty seconds.”

“What?”
He half yelled into his phone.

“First of all, happy birthday, Unc. I was calling for a favor.”

“I’m kind of in the middle of something, kid.”

“Oh. Ohhh! My bad. My bad.”
Noah laughed. “I just wanted to know if you could meet me at FTX to put some shots up? What you need like 30 minutes?”

Naya burst out laughing.

“Am I on speaker? Hey, Auntie.”

“Hey, Sweetie.”

“I’ll see you in a few hours, Noah. And you better be ready.”

“If you gon have dead legs, don’t worry about showing up.”

“Get off my line, boy.”

Derek disconnected the call and tossed his phone on the couch.

######################

FTX Arena - Noon

“So, when you go here, get low. You feel me?”

Derek walked through the steps of the dribble drive move again. He tossed the ball to his nephew.

Noah went through it a couple times. Once pulling up for a jump shot, the second time he went in for a layup.

“There you go! Just like that. Work on that.”

They worked on that move for about another 15 minutes before he could hear the other teams arriving for the game that was scheduled to start in two hours between Miami and Texas Tech. They grabbed their bags and headed out of the arena.

A few reporters were making their way in to set up. Marina Shelton, the sideline reporter for the upcoming game, stopped them as they neared the front door.

“Derek and Noah Baldwin. No way.”

Marina was one of Derek’s favorite reporters and Noah’s too. They both greeted her warmly.

“I figured you’d be here. How you doing, girl?”

“Doing well. You two scoping out the competition?”

“Oh, no. I was just walking through a few drills with Uncle D before the game tonight.”

“Getting ready for the next level, right?”

“I have to get all the knowledge he’s willing to give before we’re on opposite sides for real next year.”

Marina’s eyes widened at that information. “So, you are declaring for the draft in April?”

Derek shook his head. “That is off the record, Marina. We’ll see how the season goes first. Don’t go all Woj on us alright?”

Marina made the motion of zipping her lips. “You have my word, D. I’ll see you guys later.”

Ten minutes later, Derek pulled up to the front of the Intercontinental Hotel.

“Appreciate the ride, Unc.” He said as he opened the car door. “Happy birthday, my guy.”

“Noah, hold up. Look, man, you gotta watch what you say to these reporters.”

“I thought we were just making conversation. Marina’s cool.”

“She is, but they all aren’t. And the brighter the lights get, the worst they get.”

“Noted. I’ll see you in a few, get some rest, old man.”

“Get a win tonight for the this old man.”

“Automatic work, Unc.”

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 12 Sep 2021, 13:42

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 12 Sep 2021, 13:44