How Sweet the Sound - The Story of David "Amazing" Grace (2K23 MyCareer)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 13 Apr 2023, 22:49

Agent wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 07:03
LeSitBack&LetGraceBall
Bron taking it easy year 20, so he can be ready for the arrival of Bronny
The JZA wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 10:35
About to be Dave's team if LeBron don't watch it
They about to hand over the keys to kingdom
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Apr 2023, 00:29

Family Over Everything (Part 1)

March 2020

“You, okay, Davey?” My mom asked from the seat beside me.

“I’m great, Mom. Just great.” I replied through clenched teeth. We were on a plane from Philadelphia to Houston. Dominique was in the hospital. My son was being born. Her mom called around 2 this morning and told us they were taking her to the hospital. My dad was still being an ass so Dominique’s parents offered to pay for our flights to Houston. I was more than ready to do this alone, but my mom decided to take the trip with me so that I could have some family there. We were able to get a nonstop flight at 7 this morning. I was too wired up to sleep on the plane. I thought baby boy would hold out until the weekend, but he had other plans.

We landed in Houston at 10 and took a Lyft over to the hospital. When I got to the waiting area, I was glad my mom was with me. Sitting in the corner were two guys that I assumed were Domnique’s uncles, Kenny and Cameron. I had never met them, but she spoke of them often. I hated that I was meeting them like this. They both stood up and walked over to me.

“So, you the kid that knocked up, Baby Girl?”

“Yes, uh, yes sir.”
I said, clearing my throat. I made sure to look him in his eye. He was a couple inches shorter than me, but he looked solid. He ran his hand over his salt and pepper beard. I was trying not to fidget. I’m a man and men don’t fidget. “How is she?”

“Pregnant is how she is, boy. What kinda question is that? You sure you ready for this? What types of plans you got to support this family, huh?”
He fired off questions. Before I could answer, he started speaking again. “Because Baby Girl ain’t putting her life on hold while you live yours.” He sounded agitated and it was understandable. But even her father wasn’t this pissed.

My mom stepped up next to me, but I shook my head and answered for myself.

“I don’t expect Dominique to put her life on hold. I would never ask her to do that. I’m moving to Houston after graduation. I’m going to U of H too on scholarship to play ball for Coach Sampson. I plan on playing in the NBA.”

Both of them laughed. The younger of the two finally spoke up. “The NBA? That’s your big plan? You know how many guys have dreams of making it to the NBA?”

“Yeah, but I ain’t those guys.”

“So, what about between now and when you sign that big million dollar contract? My great-nephew is still gonna need pampers and clothes.”

“Her parents are going to help and I’m going to intern for Mr. Damian during the offseason and in the summers.”

“So, my brother is basically taking care of everything?”

“Wait a damn minute,”
my mom finally spoke up. But I didn’t let her finish.

“Ma, it’s cool. I got this.”

I was about to respond when Mrs. Traci came into the waiting area.

“David. Sandy. Glad you made it safely.” She looked between my mom and I and her brothers-in-law. “Kenny and Cameron lay off. You two are the last people on Earth who should be grilling anybody. Somebody should’ve gotten in y’alls asses. Five baby mamas between the two of y’all.”

I raised my eyebrows at that. The two men actually looked a little embarrassed. She turned her attention to me and my mom.

“They’re going to take her to the back in about an hour. Come and get washed up and changed. She’s asking for you.”

“We’ll finish this conversation later, Youngin’.”
Her uncle Kenny said as I followed Mrs. Traci to Dominique’s room.

############################

Present Day

“Waddup, Nephew?”
Dominique’s uncle, Kenny, said as he extended his hand to me. I shook it.

“I’m good. How you doing, Mr. Kenneth?” I said with a straight face.

“Mr. Kenneth?” He chuckled. He couldn’t tell if I was serious or not. “Oh, you got jokes now. Mr. Kenneth. This kid.”

“The way you and Cameron harassed this poor boy when you first met him, I’m surprised he even offered to get y’all tickets for the game, let alone pay for your hotel rooms. I wouldn’t have done the shit.”
Mrs. Traci said stepping forward to give me a hug.

She had finally gotten some time off and she and her husband decided to visit us in LA. The timing was perfect since we had a stretch of home games next week so I would actually be in town during their stay. Of course I offered to cover their entire trip. When word got to her uncles, they decided to join for the weekend. Her brother, Andre, couldn’t make it, since it was the middle of the basketball season for him at Southern University, but he said he would try to be here this summer.

“Oh, stop bringing up old shit, Traci. We good now. Right, Big Dave?”

“Sure, Mr. Cameron. All good.”

Her parents laughed.

“How you doing, son?” Mr. Damian asked.

“Good, sir.”

Where’s your mom and DJ?”
He asked looking behind me.

“They’re at the condo getting ready for dinner. So, I offered to serve as airport transportation. We are right over there.” I pointed to a black Mercedes Sprinter van.

“You pulling out all the stops, huh, Big Dave?” Cameron asked as he wheeled his luggage toward the van. “I could get used to this though.”

A few hours later, we were seated at a table outside at Horse Thief BBQ. One big happy family. I hated that my father couldn’t be part of this. But that was his choice and I wouldn’t drive myself crazy trying to change his mind.

The night went well. Dominique managed to get most of her school work taken care of early so she could enjoy her family for the extended weekend. I’m glad they were able to visit. She moved to Los Angeles with me not too long after the draft and she spent the whole summer getting the condo together and researching schools with programs for 2 year olds for DJ. I know she misses her folks and it gets hard for her sometimes, especially since I get to see my mom whenever I want now that she lives in L.A. full-time. I’m sure she appreciates getting to spend this time with her family. She went home for Christmas during our road trip, but that was only for a few days. She met us in Atlanta a few days later for LeBron’s birthday party. That was a surprise invite for me.

We talked about the upcoming games and her uncle Cameron of course asked to be introduced to the man himself, LeBron. I told him I would see what I could do. LeBron and I were pretty cool, but I had only gone to Taco Tuesday once. We weren’t best bros or anything like that. Kenny pretended to be indifferent. As far as he was concerned, Jordan was the GOAT and that was that.

Mr. Damian filled me in on his work at the consulting firm and told me that the ladies missed me having me around the office. I asked if he wouldn’t mind carving out some time to talk about diversifying my portfolio. I have a lot of money rolling in right now and I have to make sure it lasts long after I’m done playing the game. He said he’d be willing to meet with me and Ray to talk numbers.

DJ just enjoyed being spoiled by his uncles and grandparents. He spent the first two years of his life being surrounded by these people every day. He was going to have a great week.

As we were getting ready to leave, I was cornered by Kenny and Cameron outside of the restaurant.

“We’re good for real right, David?” Kenny asked.

“Yeah, man. We’re good.” We actually cleared the air before DJ’s first birthday. But until they saw that I was serious about taking care of my family, they kept me at a distance. So I like to give them shit from time to time.

“Dom didn’t talk to us for like two months after she found out what happened with you that day in the hospital.”

I laughed. “I remember.”

“That’s Baby Girl. She’s the only girl in the family. We will go to war behind her. And when we found out she was pregnant and then you showed your young ass up talking about playing in the NBA….”

“I get it. I get it. If the roles were reversed, I’d probably feel the same.”

“But then once Traci and Dame kind of explained everything going on with your father, we really felt like shit.”
Cameron said. “But, you’ve proven that you’re a man of your word, David.”

“Yeah.”
Kenny agreed. “You could’ve stayed in Philly. Left Dom to do this by herself. But you didn’t. You stepped up. Our princess is happy. Your young prince is happy. We can’t ask for more than that. Family is everything to us. And that now includes you, Nephew.”

“Guess that big million dollar contract don’t hurt, huh?”
I smiled, echoing their words from over two years ago.

“Hell nah,” Cameron laughed. “But you did what you set out to do. Once I saw you on the court at U of H, I knew you had a shot.”

“You been believing in me since the beginning, huh? But seriously, I appreciate that, Kenny and Cam. I do.”

They each pulled me into a one armed hug.

I saw Dominique walking toward us, but then she stopped and waited until the hug was over.

“I thought I was gonna have to put y’all asses back on a plane to Houston. Got my man hemmed up over here.”

“We just talking to the boy that’s all. Relax. He’s still in once piece,”
Cameron said.

“He had better be.” She laced her fingers with mine and pulled me back toward the van. “I told y’all back then that David was family.”

“Whether we liked it or not,”
they responded in unison.

She turned to me. “DJ wants ice cream. And his grandpa sort of promised.”

“Is Grandpa babysitting tonight?”

“Mhm.”

“Well, he can have as much as he wants.”

I kissed the top of her head and smiled. This was my family now. Whether my dad chose to play a part or not. And family was everything.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Apr 2023, 00:31

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Apr 2023, 00:35

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 20 Apr 2023, 10:48

chosenone58 wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 00:29
I’m a man and men don’t fidget.
chosenone58 wrote:
“Kenny and Cameron lay off. You two are the last people on Earth who should be grilling anybody. Somebody should’ve gotten in y’alls asses. Five baby mamas between the two of y’all.”
chosenone58 wrote:
chosenone58 wrote:
Kenny pretended to be indifferent. As far as he was concerned, Jordan was the GOAT and that was that.
chosenone58 wrote:
“Whether we liked it or not,” they responded in unison.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 22 Apr 2023, 18:47

The JZA wrote:
20 Apr 2023, 10:48
chosenone58 wrote:
I’m a man and men don’t fidget.
chosenone58 wrote:
“Kenny and Cameron lay off. You two are the last people on Earth who should be grilling anybody. Somebody should’ve gotten in y’alls asses. Five baby mamas between the two of y’all.”
chosenone58 wrote:
chosenone58 wrote:
Kenny pretended to be indifferent. As far as he was concerned, Jordan was the GOAT and that was that.
chosenone58 wrote:
“Whether we liked it or not,” they responded in unison.
This about sums it up.

I'm enjoying fleshing out David's past.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 25 Apr 2023, 23:41

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 25 Apr 2023, 23:56

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 26 Apr 2023, 00:00

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 26 Apr 2023, 00:08