NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-2027)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

C-Dub

NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-??)

Post by C-Dub » 12 Jan 2019, 19:38

too easy :baze:

Chillcavern

Post by Chillcavern » 13 Jan 2019, 15:15

closer than you would've liked against the Hornets, but a win's a win :yep:

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 15 Jan 2019, 20:48

Baldwin ain't with that nonsense against Charlotte

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 17 Jan 2019, 22:19

C-Dub wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 19:38
too easy :baze:
Chillcavern wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:15
closer than you would've liked against the Hornets, but a win's a win :yep:
We take the wins we are given
The JZA wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 20:48
Baldwin ain't with that nonsense against Charlotte
Not with the shits
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 17 Jan 2019, 22:22

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 17 Jan 2019, 22:25

C-Dub

Post by C-Dub » 18 Jan 2019, 00:01

Simmons posterized by old man PG :obama:

The JZA

Post by The JZA » 18 Jan 2019, 15:35

Don't do em like that in them raps jerz

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Jan 2019, 02:48

C-Dub wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 00:01
Simmons posterized by old man PG :obama:
Had to do it for Agent
The JZA wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 15:35
Don't do em like that in them raps jerz
Can't let up even though those are my favorite jerseys

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 20 Jan 2019, 06:06

NBA|CROSSOVER
The Future of the Brooklyn Nets
is Looking Very Bright

By RYAN SWIFT March 13, 2026

WATCHING THE NETS NEWEST ROOKIES RUN DRILLS AFTER PRACTICE, YOU WOULD think they had played together their entire lives. Two of them had the most chemistry, coming from LSU together, the third was new yet he fit like a glove. They are known on the team as the Three Musketeers. This is what the Nets coaching staff call their Big Three 2.0.

The Nets built their current lineup through multiple NBA drafts over the past few years. Then head coach Derek Baldwin decided to do it all in one fell swoop this time around.

“No sense in waiting. If I could get what I want, I was going to go for it.”

Of course, Brooklyn had to give up quite a bit to get what they wanted including some of their best bench players. Players that could be starters in any other system. Players that are starters this season or at the very least sixth men on their new teams. Not to mention draft picks. While all three players are a bit above average, they haven’t quite reached superstar status yet. And they are just fine with that.

“We leave our egos at the door,” said Nate Matthews. “I mean you’re stepping on the court with Derek Baldwin and being coached by Kobe Bryant. You’ve got reigning MVP Keith Perkins. We’re small potatoes. We are surrounded by veterans that are going to help us get better. We couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity.”

The center taken by Dallas was one of the Nets’ first acquisitions on draft night. Matthews was the starting center for the LSU Tigers for three seasons averaging 18.9 points and 11.7 rebounds per game. He didn’t have the best showing during workouts and some teams considered him to be a possible risk, but Brooklyn struck a trade with Dallas that delivered the big man to them.

Matthews has been having an excellent season so far. He participated in the All-Star Game on Sunday night and is currently in the running for Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, and League MVP. A player hasn’t won both Rookie of the Year and MVP since Wes Unseld in 1969. The only man standing in his way for MVP is his teammate, Shareef O’Neal.

“I’m living my best life,” he joked. “I’m really just having fun and doing my thing out there. Having the opportunity to lead this team to a championship is a bigger deal."

All three of these players would have been coming off the bench for the teams that drafted them, with the possibility of moving forward over the next couple seasons. The only thing is, most of them were in situations where they would be in a building phase for the next several seasons.

“Draft night was a blur for me,” said Andre Palmer. “One minute, I was drafted by the Knicks but before I made my way to do press, I was told that I was playing for the Nets. So, it’s great that I got to stay in New York, but I think my situation got even better. We could win it all right now. It’s scary, but exciting at the same time.”

Palmer was a member of the LSU Tigers alongside Matthews, they were roommates over their time there. Palmer being one year older, always played the big brother role with him, so being in Brooklyn with him is great. The duo decided to share in apartment in Williamsburg.

“I was ecstatic when I found out that he was coming to Brooklyn too. That’s my guy.”

Palmer played four seasons at LSU and averaged 14.7 points per game and 5.7 assists per game, most of those assists going to Nate Matthews via alley-oops and finishes. They were the Tigers’ version of Lob City. He was named All-SEC First Team for the past three seasons. Palmer was also known for some of his high flying dunks as well, as we got a chance to witness him participating in the Sprite Slam Dunk Contest last month.

Last, but certainly not least, is DePaul’s Adam Demps. Demps was named to the All Big East team as a unanimous decision last season after being near the top of the Big East’s in scoring, averaging 19 points per game. Most of those points were thanks in large part to his improved three point shooting game and his perimeter defense.

“He can pick your pocket before you even know what happened,” said Nets assistant coach Anfernee Hardaway. “One minute you’re dribbling, the next he’s going the other way for an easy layup.”

After losing Adam early in the season to injury, he seems to be picking up right where he left off.

“That was a pretty shaky start for me going down back then. Then to come back to the team to see the Derek Baldwin sitting across from you in the locker room.

He recently had a big game against the Cleveland Cavaliers just a few weeks ago. He is currently the lead scorer off the bench averaging 9 points per game and is also up for consideration for Rookie of the Year.

“It means a lot to be in the conversation. I know it’s going to come down to Mike [Wong] or Nate. My money is on Nate though.”

Derek Baldwin has seemed pleased with what he has managed to put together in Brooklyn.

“I don’t regret the trades one bit. If anything, I think we made a killing on draft night. Not to discredit the players that we traded away because they were a vital part of our success my first two years. I mean, we can’t do this forever, PG, Greg, and myself, so we had to put the team in a position for the future, I’d save we’ve done just that.”