NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-2027)

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
chosenone58

NOTHING WAS THE SAME: The Return of Derek Baldwin (2023-??)

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Mar 2019, 20:17

NBA|CROSSOVER
Positive Vibes Only

By Amber Spencer April 11, 2026

There is a different vibe in the Nets practice facility. Most people would expect to find a serious team. Brooding and intently focused on the task ahead, but you don’t see that today. In just three days, the Brooklyn Nets will face off against the Cleveland Cavaliers for what will most likely be their toughest matchup, depending on who makes it to the Eastern Conference Finals, and the team is enjoying a roof top party.

“We asked if we could have the first two days off,” said Paul George. “We dug in these past few games and we just needed a break. We used the first day for rest and treatment. We did some film work today before this party and tomorrow we’ll do a light practice before the game.”

They deserved it. Coming off a record breaking 73 wins, the Nets definitely deserved it. This team has a new look and a new swagger and it has been showing all season long. Just when things could not have gotten any better for them, one of their starters went down with an injury that would keep him sidelined all season. They continued to grind it out, but the spark was definitely fading. By New Year’s Eve, the team had been given new life when their coach and six-time champion, Derek Baldwin, decided to come off the bench and get back on the court.

It’s easy to say that he is definitely one of the reasons the team earned some extra time off.

“We don’t take anything for granted, but having him on the roster is one hell of an insurance policy,” said interim head coach, Kobe Bryant. “I trust these guys will do work on their own. Just because they know he’s doing it.”

Brooklyn has shown continued growth all season long following in the footsteps of their former head coach, now teammate.

“His first day at practice as a player, he told us that he wanted us to block out the noise and only let in positive vibes,” said guard Andre Palmer. “He kept stressing that positive vibes thing.”

This rooftop party is definitely Derek Baldwin inspired. This was something he would always do before the playoffs began when he played in Los Angeles and Chicago. While the party wasn’t mandatory, everybody managed to show up, with spouses and kids in tow.

“Guys get so serious around this time of year, not that we aren’t. Like LeBron would go dark and log off of social media for their entire playoff run. I’m not going to all of sudden turn on the killer instinct just because it’s the playoffs. I’m in that mode all year. Nothing changes for me. Nothing changes for the squad. We just need to relax and play.”

Keep those positive vibes coming, Brooklyn.

Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 21 Mar 2019, 20:35

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 30 Mar 2019, 09:28

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 30 Mar 2019, 09:38

Perfect

"Babe!" Naya cried as she stretched her arms out for me. She looked as tired as I felt running all the way from the arena after the game. I didn’t even bother changing out of my warmups. I walked over to the bed wearing my hospital issued scrubs.

“You almost missed it." She said, holding her side as a wave pain passed through her.

"I wouldn't miss this for the world." I grabbed her hand and gave her a kiss on the lips.

“Mm. You taste like Body Armor. Did you win?”

“Probably so.”

“Probably so? Why wouldn’t you know? How did you get here so quick?”

Before I could answer, Dr. April Waters walked into the room and answered for me.

“Because he ran his ass over here before it was over.”

Naya stretched her eyes at me.

“Seriously?”

“I figured it was faster.”

She shook her head at me and I leaned down to give her a kiss on the forehead.

“I stopped by Junior’s too.”

“You didn’t?”

“I did. Mychal has it in the waiting room. Consider it a push gift.”

Dr. Waters rolled her stool to the edge of the bed to check how far Naya was dilated. “Your husband is something special, girl. Left a playoff game. Ran here and made a pit stop at Junior’s. Eric has never done that for me. This one is a keeper.”

“I know it.”
She said wincing and grabbing her side again. It was almost time.

“She’s talking sweet now, but I’m just getting prepared for what she’s about to blame me for in the next few minutes.”

Naya and Dr. Waters laughed at me.

“Glad you know it, man. Looks like we’re ready to go.”

###############################

After about forty minutes of being called all kinds of bastards and promises to never allow me to touch her ever again, my son, Devin Mychal Baldwin, and my daughter Santana Mychala Baldwin, were brought screaming into the world.

My wife and I just enjoyed the quiet for a few moments before I decided to bring our mother’s to the back first. They flew in yesterday and both insisted on coming to stay with us when they found out that Naya was one centimeter dilated two days ago. This wasn’t bad as far as twin pregnancies go, they managed to stay in there for almost 37 weeks.

While the grandmothers ooh-ed and ahh-ed over the twins, I made my way to the private room we reserved for Naya to check in with her brother. Melanie had made it by this point and they were watching Sports Center. He scrambled to his feet, cigars in hand.

“So…what we got?”

“One of each.”

“Really?”

“Yep. Devin Mychal and Santana Mychala.”

“Wow. I’m touched, man.”
He swiped his hand across his face. “I know she’s shutting down the baby factory after this.” He laughed.

“You guys are important to her. Hell, to us. Yeah, she pretty much yelled that shit out a few times during delivery. I’m not getting laid again until my birthday.” I laughed.

Melanie finally joined in the conversation. “Well, congratulations, Derek. I’m so happy for you guys.”

“Thanks, Mel.”
I gave her a quick hug before looking around the room, making sure everything was set up for when they wheeled my wife in. I saw a small ice chest that housed her No. 1 Cheesecake and smiled. But that might get me laid in like two months. “You guys hang tight, she should be here in a minute. I know she would love to see you both.”

Mychal and I turned our attention back to the TV. It looks like we pulled out the win. Not that I’m surprised. We were up by 15 when I ran out of the arena and there was only three minutes left. There was a light knock on the door and Adam stuck his head in.

“Are they here?”

“Yeah. A boy and a girl. Come on in, man.”

“I can’t stay long, I gotta report back. I left the guys downstairs and you know what kind of spectacle that’s causing right now. We just wanted to give her this.”

He stepped out into the hallway and reappeared with a huge gift basket with Nets gear for the babies.

“Thanks. Congrats on the win.”

"Congrats on the twins.”

“Thanks. I’ll see you guys later.”

Thirty minutes later, they wheeled in Naya and the babies. I called Devin and Carmen on FaceTime so that they could see them. Then I called our dads. They decided to stay out of the way and have a Guys’ Night with Jordan when Naya was taken to the hospital. After a round of congratulations, Jordan climbed in their laps to see his brother and sister. He was more excited about his brother. After letting him talk to his mother and both of his grandmothers and promising him that he could come and see them in the morning, he finally told us good night.

Our visitors were kicked out about an hour after that and then it was just the four of us. The babies were fed and asleep. Naya held Devin and I held Santana. They were so tiny. I remember when Jordan was this small.

“Are you ready for this?” She finally asked me.

“Do I have a choice? I don’t think there’s a return policy on these things.”

She laughed, causing Devin to wriggle in her arms. “No, there isn’t.”

“Thank you…for this. You’re perfect. They’re perfect.”

“You’re welcome. But stop kissing up, because this is it.”

I rubbed my nose against Santana’s soft hair. Then I reached my hand out to grab Naya’s hand. I leaned over and kissed the back of it.

“This is perfect.”

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 30 Mar 2019, 09:44

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 30 Mar 2019, 10:04

djp73

Post by djp73 » 30 Mar 2019, 20:22

Love it. :yep:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 31 Mar 2019, 15:05

djp73 wrote:
30 Mar 2019, 20:22
Love it. :yep:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 07 Apr 2019, 14:21

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 07 Apr 2019, 14:23