Can't Ban the Snowman: The Legend of Tony Snow

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 24 Jan 2019, 13:40

it be ya own people

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 26 Jan 2019, 15:36

djp73 wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 13:40
it be ya own people
You know it, man
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 26 Jan 2019, 15:44

Senior Year

I was sitting in the cafeteria, enjoying my cold brick of fried fish when one of my classmates, Eric Champion, sat next to me.

“Changed your mind about joining the team, Tony?” Eric lived a few houses down from ours and was one of the first people I met in school my freshman year. He has tried to get me to join the school’s team since he saw me at the park with Nicolas a couple years ago. I wonder what would have happened if I had met him before I met Greg and Dante.

“I don’t play for losing teams, man.” I laughed. Reagan High was won of the worst teams in the area. We only won seven games last season. Seven! I wasn’t about to be no laughing stock. Even if I would ultimately be seen as the best player on the team.

“We wouldn’t be a losing team if you joined the squad. It’s your senior year, man. You could still earn a scholarship to college. Maybe even go to the NBA.”

He was probably right. I was about six foot two, around 190 pounds. I could definitely be seen as a top 50 prospect, but I wasn’t playing for my school or in AAU, so it didn’t matter. Besides, I had my own thing going on with my streetball team. And the NCAA wasn’t gonna go for that shit.

“I don’t need college to go to the NBA. Besides, I’m making my own money now and if I go to college that’ll just get in the way. I’m not trying to go to school any longer than I have to, man.”

Before he could respond, my brother Nicolas had joined us at the table.

“Tone, I need some money.” This was nothing new. My brother was now a freshman at Raegan High and of course his image was everything to him. “The bronze Jordan Fives drop this weekend.”

“Right. I’ll take care of it.”
I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Dante about the shoes and let him know what size I needed. He texted me back within seconds that he was going to hook it up for me. I told him he could take the money out of my cut for the tournament next weekend.

“You da best, Big Bro. I don’t know why you don’t just give me D’s number, so I can let him know when I want some shoes.”

“Because you’ll blow my whole damn check on shoes if I let you.”

He shrugged and went back to poking at his lunch. Eric shot me a look.

“I didn’t know you had the hook up on shoes like that.” He said looking down at my feet. I was wearing a pair of Nike Air Max Premium. Nothing fancy. I’m not a big sneaker guy. Not like my brother. I keep it simple.

“I know a guy.”

“Can you get me a pair too? I have money,”
he said quickly. “If I can avoid the line, I’d appreciate that.”

I pull out my phone again to text Dante. “Size eleven,” Eric said as I was texting. I nodded that I heard him and then I waited for confirmation.

“Done.”

“Thanks, man. I’ll bring the money to your house after school."
We ate in silence for a moment before he spoke again. “So about joining the team this year, you down?”

I shook my head and Nicolas laughed. Eric is persistent if nothing else.
Last edited by chosenone58 on 25 Jul 2021, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 26 Jan 2019, 16:10

This man gon get caught up in some SHIT.

C-Dub

Post by C-Dub » 26 Jan 2019, 17:20

Tony trying to bring back the and 1 mixtape with his streetball team :bazelol:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 29 Jan 2019, 07:39

Captain Canada wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 16:10
This man gon get caught up in some SHIT.
Whaaaaaat? He's just trying to ball and get him and his brother out of a bad situation
C-Dub wrote:
26 Jan 2019, 17:20
Tony trying to bring back the and 1 mixtape with his streetball team :bazelol:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 29 Jan 2019, 07:50

Going Global

My high school graduation was a month ago, and I had been balling out every chance I got. Stacking checks. My bank account was looking pretty nice. My brother and I had been in Orlando for the past three days. I told Uncle JJ that I was hanging out with some friends for a senior trip this weekend and that I was taking Nicolas with me. When I told him I didn’t need any money, he didn’t put up much of a fuss.

We were staying in a condo that Greg’s dad owned. We have our championship game at Downey Christian in a about four hours. I was sitting in the living room watching He Got Game on HBO. My brother was outside on the patio on the phone. He was probably uploading more pictures to his Instagram account. About halfway through the movie he came back inside and sat down on the opposite end of the couch.

“This is the life ain’t it?”

“Yeah, man, this crib is nice.”

“So, what are you gonna do now that you’ve graduated? You didn’t even try to go to college.”

“I don’t know, man. Keep playing ball for now, you know. It’s been paying the bills so far, right?”

“Yeah it is, but what about what Big Mo was talking about?”

I shrug my shoulders. I didn’t want to have the conversation with Big Mo then and I definitely didn’t want to have it now, but Nicolas seemed insistent. I grabbed the remote and muted the tv.

“What about that?”

“I mean, I think it’s dope. Going overseas. Maybe coming back and playing the in NBA. You got a lot of buzz on the circuit this year.”

“Well, somebody just had to upload all my shit to Instagram.”
I shook my head at him.

“Hey, man, they love the Tony the Snowman.”

“What the hell kind of handle is that?”

“Your game is just that cold, bro. The name just kind of lends itself.”

“Right.”
I nod my head as he continues his pitch.

“We know you have NBA level talent. But scouts aren’t just running around at these tournaments. You can’t nickel and dime at this shit forever, Tonio.”

I squeeze my eyes shut. He had a point, compared to the money I could make in the league, I was nickel and diming out here. But I wasn’t trying to go overseas for a year.

“What about you? What are you gonna do while I’m gone?”

“It’s just a year, man. I’ll be alright with Uncle Julian. I’m sure Maurice will look after me while you’re away.”

“You really think I can do this?”

“Hell, yeah. Once you get drafted, you can take me with you wherever you go, maybe we can get us a place like this.”
He gestures around the room.

I looked around at the condo. It was nice. I could definitely afford to get my ass out of my Uncle Julian’s house. Get Nicolas out of there too. Start our lives completely over. I picked up my phone from the table and dialed a familiar number.

“Hello?”

“Does your boy still need one more for that qualifier in Paris?”

djp73

Post by djp73 » 29 Jan 2019, 08:09

here we go :yup:

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 29 Jan 2019, 12:21

An overseas ting? Alright I like it.

C-Dub