Songs of the Playground | The Lyric of Jamarion Houston

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:25

PS4 | NBA 2K19/LIVE 19 | Storied Chise

MAIN CAST
Jamarion Houston (Lyric)

SUPPORTING CAST
Lyric's Parents
Ahmed Williamson
Avery Baxter
Tammy Pendergrass
MC Supernatural
Leon Rose

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:26

CAREER CENTRAL

MILESTONES
February '19
Debuts in NBA via Knicks, scoring 18 points in loss to Celtics; 96-117
Sets career high of 20 points in win vs Grizzlies; 110-108
Last edited by The JZA on 07 Feb 2019, 17:44, edited 5 times in total.

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:31

PROLOGUE

— NCAA D1 Basketball Championship; Arlington, TX, 2014

*The ambiance of the crowd roared throughout the arena*

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

(I watched the game progress before me. Watching two of the best teams the Final Four had to offer, battle it out. It was hard for me to watch, wishing I could be out there contributing with the team, but my bum leg and arm would obviously not allow it. A car accident earlier in the year cost me the rest of the season, and possibly my playing days. But I remained optimistic about it, just about as optimistic of this game. But things took a turn for the worse...)

*BUZZZZZ!!!*

Final Score: UConn, 60 - Kentucky, 54

Kentucky loss to Connecticut in the championship game, it was a hard blow to us. Sportsmanship was showed amongst each other on the court, but it was a bitter taste for the players heading back to the locker room

Lyric: Hey guys, great game tonight! You gave it your all out there.

*Lyric raises his hand up to high five the guys, but they all walked passed him, hanging their heads low. He could do nothing but stand in silence and grip his cane as he tailed the pack to the locker.*

(It was quiet. For a moment that seem like eternity, the room was absolute. Coach came in and looked at the players, some returned the eye.)

Coach: Get cleaned up, let's go home boys...

Coach seemed like he wanted to say more before he walked out, but after tonight's loss, a long quiet ride home was all the talk that was needed.

Lyric: Yo, James, Juli, good game out there, you boys did y'all thing out there.

James: Thanks man.

Julius: Yeah man, thanks. Just wasn't enough tonight getting after it.

Lyric: I hear you, don't sell yourself short. Other team was just as ready. You know what I say, every shot is 50/50. It's all luck when it comes down to it.

Julius: Maybe.

James: So, what's next? Entering the draft?

Julius: Yeah, seems likely.

James: Yeah, same here. Think I came as far as I can here. What about you Lyric? What are you going to do once you heal up?

*Lyric ponder for a moment, making light of the question*

Lyric: I don't know yet. Probably go back in time to tonight, sub in, drop 40. Cut the net, bag a couple shorties. Go pro, draft number one overall. Dunk on you guys. Max deals, sponsors, championships, nothing to big you know, haha

Julius: Yeah whatever clown, ha.

James: Like that'll ever happen.

Lyric: Hey, never know. But I'll let you guys do your thing. I'll see you on the bus...

— Time Keeps On Slipping, December 2014

(Everything... Everything is so hazy... Waking up, I find myself attached to this beeping noise... It's pace of sound was slow and methodical...)

?: Yee umin tew. Et uh ockor.

(I couldn't make out what I was hearing, I couldn't understand anything. I slowly began to open my eyes, but easily drop my lids quick. This white light was far too intense to draw in all at once... My mind began to function, piecing things together)

Lyric: (Am I... In a hospital?.. Why am I here? What happened?..)

*Moments later*

?: Mr. _______, an u ear meh? If u an, y to moo a inger

*Not understanding, Lyric tries to open his eyes again, turning his head to the sound. His vision began to clear up and focus, but he still couldn't respond to the noises he was hearing. Clearly, the doctor in front Lyric was speaking to him... But he laid here watching him as words fall on deaf ears*

Dr: *mumble sounds*

(I was able to turn my head slowly to my left, noticing an elder lady in gray... Brown skin complexion, hair kind of messy... Her face started to familiarize, it was my mom.)

Mom: Mmy aby..

Lyric: (Hey mommy.. Why are we here?.. You can't hear me, can you?.. It's okay, I'm sleepy anyways. Think... I'll just rest...)

— Nightmares, July 2015

(The doctor said I would never be able to walk again... My mom was heartbroken, seeing her baby boy confined to a wheelchair at home, looking out the window, watching the kids play basketball in the park of our project housing.)

*flashback to Lyric finishing a game of 21 on the playground. That day, Fate has it for Lyric to cross paths with MC Supernatural. MC Supernatural was looking for a street ball talent who would star in a NBA TV reality show, "Rags To Riches"*

(She tries to comfort me, but she knew that i knew, that I'll never be what I was again, and that was soul crushing...)

*Flashback to Lyric taking the opportunity to make a name for himself since not being drafted due to his prior injuries. Lyric went up against some of the best players the NBA had to offer. Be it was a tournament, charity event, house parties, Lyric showed up and dominated. Though there were times where he almost lost it all, skinning the game*

(Little do she know, a handful of times maybe, perhaps more... I found myself conflicted, perilous with tunnel vision of offing myself... Asphixiation... Oxycontin... Alcohol... Whatever I could get my hands on for that moment...)

*Flashback to Lyric taking the trip to Toronto, for the season finale of "Rags To Riches". Lyric puts on his best game for the fame, going against elite talents such as LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Anthony Davis, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and so on. Finally beating the best to offer, even the so corrupted TV execs stepped in the way to the winning circle. Despite it all, Lyric rose up and defeated them all.*

(I felt so alone. I felt like I was never going to amount... I felt like I lost all purpose to life... I wanted to end everything, go black, go silent, tranquil... But I couldn't do it. I couldn't pull that trigger and say goodbye...)

*Flashback to the after party near the CN Tower in Toronto for the season finale. Everyone was there from celebs like Kanye and the Kardashians, Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg, MC Supernatural of course.*

NBA Legends were also there to meet and greet. Larry Legend, Magic, MJ & Pippen, T-Mac & VC, Duncan, Malone, Grandmama himself, Larry Johnson. Even the Commissioner Adam Silver and his inner circle was there. It was an all out extravaganza and nothing but good times. During the reception, Silver and Lyric discussed business, becoming eligible to be a free agent in the NBA and potentially signing with a team. Everything was on the up and up until some hours later, things took a turn for the worse...

A red food catering van approached the scenery of the party and shots rung out. Frantic cloaked the atmosphere as everyone tried to get to a safe haven or get out with their lives. After the shells hit the ground, the smoke had cleared, Lyric was found in a pool of his own misery. Bullets riddled in his back. Not only was Lyric putting his future on the line for everything, but unbeknownst, so was his life.*

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:36

THE DARK HORSE

— Think About The Future, October, 2015

*After a long and heavy summer for Lyric, a breakthrough was had for the young kid from Harlem. Finally being able to come to terms with his new life, and with the help of his mother and close friends, Lyric found himself in a new state of mind, a sound mind for the same passion. Picking his life back up, Lyric got a part-time job at the YMCA, helping with the recreational for the kids.*

Lyric: Come on guys, line up over here, we're going to run some drills. I want you guys to run the baseline, square your layups and no backboard touching. Come on, have fun with it.

(Man, it was great to finally feel some sense of purpose in life. I've been through a lot lately, and a big distraction away from the past is what I needed. And comfortably, these kids, helping with the community, was just the medicine I needed. Things could've been worse, but watching these kids go with a smile, it's hard to without knowledge for their future.)

Lyric: Good... Good... Excellent... Nice try Avery, but no backboard touching.

Avery: But it's hard, I can't do it like the others can.

Lyric: Yes you can. Remember, control the ball, control the shot. Put it where you want it.

*Avery was disgruntled, upset with his lack of focus. Refusing to participate anymore, he jogs off court and resigns to the bleachers. After a moment, Lyric decides to approach Avery.*

Lyric: Hey kiddo, what's wrong? What makes you can't do this easily?

Avery: ... I don't know.

Lyric: You got to know. Ave, what's bothering you?

Avery: I just can't do it. I'm not good at basketball.

Lyric: What? Don't be silly, of course you are. Every time I come here, I always see you playing with the other kids.

Avery: But they don't let me shoot anymore, cause I can't make it.

Lyric: I see, but hey, that's okay, there's other elements to the game than just scoring points. What do you find most fun about basketball? You like dribbling? Passing the ball to the other kid who can make it? Or do you like running around on defense, making it hard for the others to win?

*Avery takes a moment to think about what he likes best, shortly coming to a conclusion*

Avery: I like defense.

Lyric: Alright, so let defense be the best thing you do playing basketball. Keep making it hard for the others to score points and to win. I can teach you how to stay in front of your man and guard. I can teach you how to steal the ball properly. I can teach you how to time your shot contest. But don't give up doing anything else kid. Even the best needs practice.

Avery:Okay... Did you use to play basketball Mr. Lyric?

Lyric: Yeah, I did. But that was a long time ago.

Avery: What happened?

Lyric: Well, good things happened, and bad things happened. Really bad things. It now leaves me confined to this chair. But... Something good happened to, even greater than those bad things. And that's leaving the future into people hands' like you. You got the potential to be someone great, even greater than I will be. And if you decide you want to grow up and play pro basketball, you got to practice.

Avery: Okay, but will you help me practice?

Lyric: Of course, I'm helping everybody, including you little man. Give me dap.

*Avery gives Lyric dap and head back onto the floor, participating with his friends and others. Lyric watches on, continuing to give guidelines to the kids, keeping the routines fun for them. Lyric was content, finding use of himself, helping the future grow anyway possible, the best he can help.*

— Do You Have Room For One More?, February 2016

(Winter was here and in full effect. Like, it really got cold fast, and news was calling for a blizzard as well. Job at the YMCA was on hold for obvious reasons, but being couped up in the house all day and night was not my idea of enjoying the post-holiday seasons. But there wasn't much to do except play video games, watch animes, and listen to music...... I have to use the bathroom, and this isn't going to be easy...)

*Home alone, Lyric couldn't do much until his mother returned home from work. At best, he was accommodated with the luxuries of a dorm like room for all his necessities in reach. Except one thing, the bathroom. Luckily for Lyric, times like these, he's grateful to have been working out for upper body strength to get around.*

Lyric: Alright, one at a time...

*Lyric began to prop his wheelchair close to the bed, tucking it to the edge.*

Lyric: And, phase two...

*Lyric struggles, but manages to sort his body out in sit up position, where he's able to scoot back to the edge of the bed and slide into the wheelchair*

Lyric: They couldn't pay me for stunts like these, ha. Alrighty, lets get a move on.

*Lyric makes his way to the bathroom, unseating himself, now having to crawl the rest of the way. Successfully, Lyric makes it to the tub where he is able to pull himself up onto the toliet to handle his business. But the one thing he forgets to bring along his journey to accompany him, has left him in uncharted territory, his phone*

Lyric: Damn, I have nothing to read now -sigh-

*Some time passes and Lyric completes his journey from the bathroom back to his chair. Upon getting situated, he hears his mother's voice in the hallway. Along with her was a male's voice that he didn't recognize. This peaked Lyric's curiosity as the front door opened.*

Mom: Oh, hey baby, what are you doing out of bed?

(Lyric's mother and the gentleman that tailed behind her enters the home. Upon glancing eyes on the unknown individual, Lyric couldn't help but wonder who he was and why he look so familiar.)

Lyric: I had to use the bathroom. It was hell, but I managed.

Mom: Lyric, you shouldn't be out of bed baby, what if something happens and I'm not here?

Lyric: I'm fine mama, I appreciate it, but don't worry yourself so much.

*The unknown gentleman took his cap off and cautiously approached Lyric with introductory*

?: Hi, Lyric. It's finally nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you.

*The man extended his hand. Lyric complied with a handshake.*

Lyric: I'm sorry I can't say I've heard about you.

(The two shared a quick moment of silence, as both wondered why of something. Only Lyric's mother had the answers each both desired. This was cooking up to be a bombshell for Lyric.)

?: Yeah, sorry, where's my manners. Name's Deon. Again, it's really nice to meet you.

Lyric: Aight, nice to meet you too. How you know my moms?

?: Oh, me and your mother go way back. It's been a long time since we seen each other and I couldn't think of a better time to catch up.

Mom: Lyric, there's something you should know... Deon... He's your biological father...

— The Next Dark Horse, June 2016[/i=b]

(Lyric journeyed out to the mid-west for the summer, continuing to discover himself in his new life. Saving up his money, and after learning who his father was, Lyric decided to take time off away from things. So he reached out to his mother's sister, Michelle, who gladly took Lyric in. Between sight-seeing, debating over Chicago vs New York pizza, having a good summer overall, Lyric got to bond with extended family, which was important to him.)

Lyric: Ayo cousin, I still can't believe you tickets to game seven!..... How you get post-season tickets?! They should've been sold out!

Ahmed: I got a few connects, a few pulls here and there. You know -smugs-

*The arena filled with adulation and suspense from the sound of "Sirius" by The Alan Project flowing through the speakers. Everyone stood on their feet, engulfing Lyric in a sea of fans, cheering on the Bulls, as they were taking on the Pelicans on their turf.*

Lyric: Yo man, this is it! You ready baby! Game seven! Bulls! Pelicans!

Ahmed: Yeah boy! It's finna' go down!

*As the announcer stroll through the list of starters, he gets to the star player of the team.*

Announcer: AND NOW!!! STARTING AT SHOOTING GUARD!!! SIX-FOOT-SEVEN OUT OF NICHOLLS STATE!!! DERREEEEEEKKKKKK BAAAAALLDDWIIIIIIINNN!!!!

*The crowd goes wild as Derek Baldwin makes his way through the gauntlet of teammates, everyone will be having eyes on the star player to bring home the ship*

Lyric: Yooo! That's my mans B'!!! Man, I've been following dude since he came into the league bro!

Ahmed: Hell yeah bro! DB4 is the man! He's been balling all year long!

Lyric: Balling is an understatement fam! Baldwin has averaged 27.3 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.7 assists, and 1.7 steals per game this season! Had five 40+ and two 50+ point games. He shot himself into the 50-40-80 club for three consecutive years!

Ahmed: Wow, you're a fanatic for the guy huh?

Lyric: Dude is a legend in the making...

(Time progressed as the game went on, it was a good showcase of performance for some of the guys that came with their A-game, but ultimately, the Bulls overpowered the Pelicans. It wasn't even a close win for the Bulls, but a win is a win, and a NBA championship was guaranteed in Chicago.)

Crowd: FIVE!... FOUR!... THREE!... TWO!... ONE!...

*The buzzer goes off*

ANNOUNCER: THE CHICAGO BULLS ARE YOUR 2016 NBA CHAMPIONS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

(The crowd goes bonkers as confetti gravitated to the floor and decorating those in contact of it. The Chicago Bulls were champions, defeating the New Orleans Pelicans in a series of seven games and Derek Baldwin dropped 43 points to seal the deal.)

*As the players hugged it out, some celebrating in arms, crying for the first ring, others showing sportsmanship to the opposing Pelicans. Derek Baldwin on the other hand, was a wild man, running around the arena slapping every hand he could possibly touch, showing much enthusiasm over his 2nd championship. Before donning the championship cap and t-shirt, Baldwin stripped off his jersey and sneakers and tossed them into the crowd*

Ahmed: Oh snap! Look at you! My man!

(Lyric was lucky enough to be at the right place, at the right time, catching himself a pair of Derek Baldwin's Dark Horse 1.0 signature sneakers.)

Lyric: Yoooooo, haha!!

*Both Lyric and Ahmed look onto the kicks then back at the court floor for the Larry O'Brien presentation. After it was all said and done, with Larry O'Brien having a official home in the east, Lyric and his cousin Ahmed sat in the car, too hype to travel hope with all the excitement.*

Lyric: Yo Boss, hell of a night man! Did you see Baldwin flex on them boys, dunking on Jrue??!

Ahmed: Yeah bro! Nola didn't stand a chance out here in the windy! Chicago mane! We get it done out here!

Lyric: Haha, two years straight, I feel that. And this kicks bro... MONSTERRRRS!!!

Ahmed: hell yea! I'm happy for you bro! Hey, come on, I wanna take you somewhere, the night is too early to go back to the pad right now.

Lyric: Aight, bet, where you got in mind?

Ahmed: I got you bro, me and you gonna celebrate Chicago style...

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:40

THE COMEBACK KID: THE PREQUEL

— Unconventional Miracle, Early July, 2016

*After spending a few weeks in Chicago, clearing his head, opening his eyes to new things, Lyric felt it was time to go home. Going home meant new beginnings, mainly his father, Deon. But that panned out better than expected. Upon his arrival back to New York, Deon was there awaiting at LaGuardia Airport to pick up his son, taking the opportunity to place a foundation of mutual respect.

Surprisingly, Lyric has taking a quick liking to Deon. The chemistry was there as both personalities intertwined with each other. Lyric was strong headed, stubborn, but passionate and eager. Deon was more leveled and patient. You can say age will grow that into a man.

Today was another hot day, nothing out of the usual, hot and humid. You can catch a breeze if you're lucky. Lyric and Deon had plans on spending some time up in the Bronx, in Soundview for the Nike basketball tournament. Looked to be a ordinary good day in the hood...*

Deon: I hear some names from college and the NBA is going to be out here.

Lyric: Yeah.. You got intel on that?

Deon: Mmm, I know a little something.

Lyric: Word? Spill it. Who.

Deon: Brandon Ingram. Jaylen Brown. De'Angelo Russell.

Lyric: Mr. Ice In My Veins, nice! Hey, listen man. Thank you. You know, for kicking it with me as of lately. I appreciate it.

Deon: You don't have to thank me, pleasure is all mine. After all the time we haven't had the chance to spend together, I'm honored you allowed it son.

Lyric: About that... We haven't gotten around to that conversation since you came into my life and I left for a while.

Deon: Yeah... I was locked up, doing major time. Long story short, back in my day, I was caught up with the kind of people. What started out to be a little group of knuckleheads became something serious in the streets. One thing led to another, initiations, mugging, store robberies. Then someone got hurt, got killed...

*Lyric looked at Deon with concern. Almost with eyes of judgement. Lyric knew what the streets held within, and the vice grip it had on people. Some people make it out the streets, some people don't. But concerns for him and his mother were priority.*

Lyric: ... Was it you? ... Did you kill someone?..

Deon: No! Never. I couldn't live with my-self if I ever did something like that... Honestly, I turned my-self in. I was apart of that havoc, and morally, it was eating at me. And I rather knew Karma would bite me in the *** on the inside than be out here on counted days...

*There was a brief pause in the conversation for clarity. Lyric didn't know what to say, Deon just wanted to make sure his words were understood.*

Deon: Not for nothing. I didn't want to be a part of your life you question so often, having no answers to. God forbid something happened to me. I didn't want your mother to tell you about me.

Lyric: I see...

Deon: But I'm here now. I did my time, I paid my dues. Soon as I got out, I put my butt back on the streets to be able to stand on my own, to be capable and reliable when needed. And I'm doing good. But I've also had looked forward to that day of meeting you again, hoping to build a relationship with you son.

Lyric: ... I hear you pops. I appreciate the honesty. This is my life, you know. Just need to be careful who I let in it. But you're good. We're good..

Deon: I'm glad to hear baby boy.

*The two arrived at Parque De Los Ninos Park and there was already a good amount of crowd here. Security was at the front checking patrons. Kids running around enjoying themselves. Music blasting in the background. Some of the flyest people came out to shine as typical, but everyone was waiting for the games to start, people wanted the highlights*

Lyric: Hey, I'ma go to the store across the street real quick. You want something?

Deon: I'll take a water. You sure you don't want me to go for you?

Lyric: Nah, it's cool. I got it. Go inside and find us a nice spot, I'll be there with you soon.

Deon: Bet. Hurry back, games should be started soon.

*Lyric made his way across the street after a moderate wait for the light. Just as Lyric was opening the door, two bodies came blitzing out the front door of the bodega, crashing and burling over Lyric out his chair.*

?: Come on man! Lets go!

*The one guy got up and fled the scene with his associate. Deon noticing the collision, darted towards Lyric to aid him, concerned for his safety. Lyric didn't know what hit him, trying to gather himself. The store clerk comes out to give chase, but the thieves were long gone and turned to help out Lyric.*

Deon: Son! Son! You alright? Talk to me!

Lyric: Y-yeah, I'm okay.

Clerk:
I'm so sorry, here let me help you!

*The two helped Lyric back into his wheelchair, but something happened as Deon brushed off Lyric's legs.*

Lyric: Hey...

Deon: What? What's wrong?

Lyric: Do that again?..

Deon: What? This? I missed something?

*Deon proceeds to brush off Lyric's leg again*

Lyric: ... I felt that. I felt your hand...

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:43

THE COMEBACK KID: THE PREQUEL PT.2

— Taking The Training Wheels Off, March, 2017

*Spinal cord injuries are no joke. Normally, with a spinal cord injury, paralysis plays for keeps. But there's always that chance, and it's very few, the body fights on it's own to regenerate and be whole again. Even rarer cases where the body just needs a little assistance from life. It's been a year and seven months since Lyric has walked on his own two feet. Doctors were baffled by his miraculous recovery and the time it took to gain full function of his legs. Usually, the next procedure would be exoskeleton, crutches or what not. Maybe a walker, but not for Lyric.

Lyric's parents pitched in together, getting their baby boy one of the best private doctors in New York where majority of the rehab took place at New York Dynamic Neuromuscular Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy Clinic. With all the high quality technology the world offers today, Lyric was a living wolverine, recovering quicker than ever. However, Lyric wasn't satisfied with the results. He had one thing in mind to answer all his questions. Basketball...*

*Lyric dribbles the ball in place a few times before rotating the ball in hand*

(It's been 8 months since the day I've returned to normalcy. I never imagined a stick up job at a bodega, on a hot summer day would give me my legs back... They do say God works in mysterious ways, but man, this is incredible.)

*Takes a shot, makes it, then retrieves the ball*

(I was set on a new life, bound to a wheelchair... Then I'm given a second chance at my old life...)

*Lyric walks to the three point line and takes a shot, misses*

(No, this is a second chance at my old life, I need to improve. Not just in mind and body, but as a person as well.)

*Recovers the ball and takes another shot, makes it*

(Truth be told, like father, like son. Before college, before Kentucky, I was a knucklehead running the streets too. Hanging with the wrong crew, messing with the wrong girls.)

*Lyric recovers and attempts a soft layup, makes it*

(Mom and Pops did everything they could to help me back on my feet. It was big of them. And I'm honestly happy to see them together, smiling.)

*Lyric performs some dribbling moves*

(And if this is my second chance to pay dues, then...)

*Takes another shot, banking it in from the wing*

(I don't want nothing to take this opportunity away from me.)

*Just as Lyric was finishing up his solo session on the court at the YMCA, Avery walks in with a friend from school to play basketball. Seeing a guy on the far end of the court, Avery was shocked to see Lyric after recognizing him*

Avery: Lyric!

*Avery charges towards Lyric, hugging him at the waist*

Lyric: Avery, what's up little man? Long time no see!

Avery: What happened? I thought I'd never see you again.

Lyric: Aw, I'm sorry. I went away for a little while. Some things been going in my life and I needed some breathing room to figure things out. I wouldn't leave you kid, I'm back now.

Avery: You can walk now?! You don't need your wheelchair anymore?

*Avery was astonished by Lyric towering over him, it was a change of pace from seeing him on a eye to eye level, literally*

Lyric: Nope! Doctor says I'm getting better and I'm feeling great.

Avery: Wow... Hey! Can I show you something?

Lyric: Yeah, sure kid. What's up?

*Avery takes the ball from Lyric and takes a 20-foot shot and makes it.*

Avery: I've been practicing. I can score points now!

Lyric: Yo, my man! Up high *slap* Down low! *slap* Look at you kid, give me another.

*Lyric passes the ball to Avery, taking another shot and making it. Avery also makes the next three effortlessly*

Lyric: Look at you man! Balling out like it's nothing, haha. See? What did I tell you? Control the ball, control the shot, right?

Avery: Yeah. It was really hard, but Ms. Pendergrass, the new trainer here helped me.

Lyric: Ms. Pendergrass? Looks like I owe her my thanks for stepping in when you needed it.

*A voice from the background shoots between the conversation of the two*

?: You don't have to, it was my pleasure!

*Lyric turns to the voice that grabbed his attention, and presumably so, in came Ms. Pendergrass. A Caucasian woman with long blonde hair, pulled in a pony tail. Baby blue eyes and full lips. On the slender side, but well put together with shape. Arguably one of the most beautiful females Lyric has ever seen*

Avery: Hey Ms. Pendergrass!

Ms. Pendergrass: Hey Champ! Who's your friend here?

Avery: This is Lyric! He's my friend, he used to work here and help me play basketball.

Ms. Pendergrass: Oh yeah? Well, it's nice to meet you Lyric. I'm Tammy.

*The two shake hands*

Lyric: Nice to meet you too Tammy.

*Lyric shoots a smile at Tammy, as well received, Tammy shoots one back a little flirtatiously*

Avery:
Lyric use to be in a wheelchair and now can walk again! Cool right?!

Lyric: Hey man, don't make light of that, I have war stories.

*Lyric shoots a sarcastic look at Avery but it didn't register to him*

Tammy: That is pretty cool! I'm happy for you, maybe you can tell me those war stories after a game? How 'bout it Avery?!

Avery: Yeah! We can play two-on-two!

*Avery calls for his friend to join them as they pair up. Lyric was game. It was an opportunity to gear up a little. Avery and Tammy teamed up taking on the other two. For the first time in a long time, Lyric was happy. Doing what he loved to do, play basketball. But it would come a time where Lyric should do more...*

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:44

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:46

PREPARE FOR TAKEOFF

— Rags To Rucker, June, 2017

*It was June. The Golden State Warriors were NBA champions. The NBA season was over. But basketball life didn't stop at all. In the Mecca, the game continues the old fashion way: 1v1, 3v3, 5v5s. While most would take the time for some much needed R&R, some ballers can't help but give back to the community by putting on a show. For Lyric, it's been three months training, physically, mentally, and fundamentally. To be able to do what he loves to do, he needed to be at his peak, and gradually, he was getting there. Touring around New York on weekends when he can run games at the Cage on West 4th Street, Central Park, other small project parks where the game was still fierce. But all those games led up to this particular night led where big names were out on the streets at the Rucker. Vince Carter, Lance Stephenson, Joakim Noah, just to name a few. And this game featured Lyric him-self. Big names were playing and watching. And if Lyric was going to dance with the stars, he was going to need that "Rag To Riches" mentality.*

*The crowd was getting hyped up for the game by none other than Supernatural. The players were on the court doing some shoot arounds*

Deon: You ready for this game son?

*Lyric continued to stretch before walking the court for the game*

Lyric: Yeah, I got to be. Not going to lie though, I'm a little nervous.

Deon: Playing around talent from the NBA? I'm not surprised.

Mom: Baby, you got this. You've done this before. These players know who you are, and ought to have respect for your name. But you've done so well and came so far from a year ago. We're proud of you no matter what.

Deon: Your mother's right. Just have to go out there and play your game. You overcame so much to get here tonight. In our books, you've already won.

*Lyric hugs his parents*

Lyric: Thanks guys, means a lot.

Deon: Of course, we're here all the way for you. Go out there and show them who you are.

*Just before Lyric took off, Avery called out to him*

Avery: Hey Lyric!

Lyric: Yo, what's A'? Glad you came out.

Avery:
I had to do all my homework and chores and mom said she would bring me.

Lyric: Smart man getting your priorities done first *daps Avery*

Ms. Baxter: He's been talking about you and this game all day.

Lyric: I bet he has, haha. I'm glad to see y'all out, thanks for the support.

*Just as Lyric hits the court, Supernatural lock eyes with Lyric, announcing his presence*

Supernatural: Yo! Yo! Look who I see! The myth! The legend! My man L-Y-R-I-C! From "Rags To Riches", here where it all started, at the Rucker, NYC!

*The crowd bolsters up adulation for Lyric once recognizing him*

Lyric: What's good baby, long time no see.

Supernatural: It's great to see you man. After what happened that night in Toronto, you came a long way brother. I'm glad to see you doing it.

Lyric: Thanks fam. It's going to be like old times again, dropping bars and buckets, haha.

Supernatural: Aight! You already know G'! Lets write this ticket to riches once more, do your thing tonight!

Lyric:
No doubt, lets link up afterwards.

Supernatural:
You got it fam. *Supernatural screams on the mic* MY MAN LYRIC IN THE HOUSE!

*The game starts and progresses. Some action was definitely going on this game. Alley-oops, self-alleys from VC. Joakim Noah with some nasty putbacks. Even Lance Stephenson was dropping long bombs, making it rain. But it was Lyric who had the eyes of the world watching him, putting on a highlight of his own. Seeing greatness that should have been shining on the NBA hardware, rise from the ashes. Tonight, for the first time since 2013, Lyric took flight.*

[Lyric: 12 pts, 2 asts, 2 stls]

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:50

OPPORTUNITIES TO SEIZE

— A Supernatural Tale [Revisited], June, 2017

*Lyric last performance at the Rucker turned some heads and got him noticed again. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Lyric's name once again gone viral. The buzz was real, the hype was there. Problem was, Lyric didn't know what to do with it except play basketball. It wasn't until a few days later where a old friend in Supernatural reached out to him and offered him a chance to regain everything.*

*Lyric's phone goes off, receiving a text message. A bit hazy rolling out of bed, Lyric gathered himself while reading the message.*

Supernatural: "Yo Lyric! Internet is blowing up about you. You're viral kid. Got some opportunities for you if interested. Holla back!"

Lyric: "What's up? Yeah I've seen. What you got for me?"

Supernatural: "Don't want to shake your life up, but if you're really about getting back on your feet, you got to tour the country again man!"

Lyric: "Like play basketball in other cities? Like another "Rags To Riches?"

Supernatural: "Yeah bro! This time, no TV show, no executives, none of that. Just you, NBA ballers, and prime locations. This is for real this time."

Lyric: "I'm liking the idea of this, but I'm short on ends right now man. I gotta pass on this op."

Supernatural: "Don't worry about the cashflow, I got you on this, you riding with me. I got shows out in places where ballers gonna be at. You put on a show, I'll rock the house. You in?"

Lyric: "Aight, I'm game. So where we at now?"

*It's been a moment or two before a text came in.*

Supernatural: "Venice Beach brother. Hear the palm trees are wavy around this time. Pack your bag, we leave out tonight!"

Lyric: "Tonight? Damn, aight! Send me the coordinates and I'll see you."

Supernatural: "Gotchu"

*Lyric rushes out into the living room where both parents were as they were eating breakfast and watching morning television.*

Lyric: Yo, Mom, Pops, y'all won't believe this!

Mom: What's up?

Lyric: Aight, you remember the guy I was talking to at the Rucker who was MC'ing?

Mom: Yeah, what about him?

Lyric: Aight, so that's MC Supernatural.

Mom: Okay, I remember, the rapper from the TV show you was on.

Pops: You was on a TV show?

Lyric: Yeah! I'll explain that part later. Aight, so boom, Supe hits me up just a few ago. Saying he got shows out in other cities, and he wants me to go with him.

Mom: Okay, and?

Lyric: And? I'ma be out there playing ball Ma! He's gonna connect me to some hot spots where I can run games and build up on.

Mom: Like that TV show you was on? I don't know baby, I don't like it. Not after what happened to you last time!

Lyric: Nah, nah, ain't nothing like that. There's no TV show. none of that. Just a tour around the country. I mean, have you not seen the internet lately? Your baby boy is viral,! Everyone has been talking about my game at the Rucker. Here look, even Stephen A. Smith shouted me out.

*Lyric shows the tweet of Stephen A Smith*

"This kid is simple phenomenal. @JHLyric is by far a diamond in the rough. Former UK Wildcat. Household name at one point. If you don't remember him then, he'll be sure to make you remember him now. He's the one you want to keep an eye on. -@stephenasmith"

Mom: Well damn. You're not lying. You sure about this?

Lyric: I'm still a little skeptical, but there's only one way to find out. Opportunities don't come knocking often, we came too far to let one slip by.

Pops: He's got a point. Be a shame he don't go out there and find his worth. Can also take this time to stretch those legs, see what's out there for you. Discover your-self and grow as a man.

Lyric: My thoughts exactly.

Mom: I'm just worried about you honey, that's all. Almost lost you once.

Pops: Yeah, but nobody makes it in life sitting on hands.

Mom: ...... Alright. You can go Lyric, just promise me you'll check in with us along the way.

Lyric: No doubt Ma, wouldn't leave you guys hanging after all y'all did.

*Lyric hugs his mother*

Mom: So when you're leaving?

Lyric: Tonight. But you know how the airport is, so I'm out by evening.

Pops: Boy, if you don't go in that room and pack up what you need, you got a flight to catch!

Lyric: Aight, haha, I'm on it.

*It was at this point, Lyric grew up and left home. What once was a dream, was now an ambition to make real. The rise of new agendas on the horizon, Lyric set out with Supernatural to take on the world side by side again. To lose everything but a dream, he would be "The One" to take back all. This is where Lyric's story, "The Body of Jamarion Houston" begins.*

Topic author
The JZA

Post by The JZA » 01 Feb 2019, 17:53