Got My Mojo Working - The Journey of Morgan Sauce (2K20 MyCareer) - Complete

This is where to post any NBA or NCAA basketball franchises.

Topic author
chosenone58

Got My Mojo Working - The Journey of Morgan Sauce (2K20 MyCareer) - Complete

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Nov 2019, 12:16

Save
Last edited by chosenone58 on 25 Feb 2022, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Derek Baldwin da Gawd

Topic author
chosenone58

Got My Mojo Working - The Journey of Morgan Sauce (2K20 MyCareer)

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Nov 2019, 12:17

This one is probably going to be quick and dirty. Not a lot of preamble. We're just gonna jump right into it.

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Nov 2019, 12:18

Save for season by season updates

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 19 Nov 2019, 12:26

Pelicans hope to find some mojo after drafting New Orleans native and former Loyola Marymount standout Morgan Sauce

BY CHRISTIAN CLARK | STAFF WRITER JUNE 23, 2019 – 3:31 PM

Welcome to the NBA. Morgan Sauce proudly displays his new New Orleans Pelicans jersey at a press conference.

Everything has come full circle for rookie Morgan Sauce.

“I’m finally back home. Hopefully, for good.”

Forced to leave the city of New Orleans prior to Hurricane Katrina landing in 2005, Sauce’s family fled to Los Angeles to stay with family. What they expected to be about a week-long vacation turned into a fresh start for an 8 year old Morgan and his parents, Cassandra and Morgan Sauce IV as their home and most of their possessions were destroyed in rising floodwaters.

“It was crazy. They never explained exactly what was happening at the time. I just knew we were packing a lot for a vacation. We’d never taken photo albums and things like that before, you know? Then everything changed just two days later.”

Once New Orleans was starting to become operational again, his parents flew down to check on their house and they brought back what they could. They told a young Morgan that Los Angeles was going to be their new home. His parents had found good paying jobs in the city. His mother got a job at a local hospital and his father was able to continue working as a chef. His parents tried to keep his life as normal as possible.

“I was young enough where it didn’t affect me much, but I still missed my friends and teachers and it took weeks before we were able to get in touch with some people. It was a stressful time.”

One thing his father was able to do was keep their tradition of watching the New Orleans Hornets compete. The Hornets arrived in New Orleans in 2002 and Morgan and his father attended their fist game when he was just five years old.

His father worked as a private chef in the city of New Orleans, so a young Morgan was able to meet a lot of players on the Pelicans and Saints rosters.

“Sports has just always been part of my upbringing. My dad’s job came with perks, so we were able to go to a lot of games. After that first game, I knew then that playing basketball was what I wanted to do. Watching Baron Davis was just amazing to me. I had jerseys of almost everybody that played for New Orleans: CP3, Tyson Chandler, Anthony Davis, even JR Smith.”

After moving to Los Angeles, the Sauce men would attend Lakers and Clippers games whenever New Orleans was in town.

“It was great that we were still able to do that.”

After graduating high school, a then 6-1, Sauce signed a scholarship offer from Loyola Marymount. He grew four more inches to his current height of 6-5 between his freshman and sophomore year, so he was moved into the shooting guard spot. His speed and ball handling made him a threat at the position as he was able to create shots for himself as well his teammates.

Many thought he would jump to the NBA after his sophomore year, where he was predicted to go mid to late first round, but he came back for one more season and ended up suffering an injury in December that kept him out for the rest of the season.

“My plan was always to finish my degree. The NBA would be there. But when that injury happened, it changed everything.”

With his time off, Sauce saw himself become a little more active with social justice programs around the area. Most notably would be not standing for the national anthem. At first, he was stayed in the locker room, but once people took notice he came out and ask to stay on the bench. Couple that with the injury and Sauce saw his draft stock start to plummet. He wasn’t kidding himself, he was no Kyrie Irving.

“There was no way I could throw my name in the hat after coming off an injury and expect to still go in the first round. I had slipped all the way to late-second round. Some were saying I wouldn’t be drafted at all because of the anthem. Personal interests aside, my senior year was a year for me to rebuild.”

His focused returned on getting his stock up and getting the Lions a bid to the NCAA tournament. Loyola Marymount finished with a record of 22-12, placing them fifth in the West Coast Conference. He averaged 22.6 points per game for the Lions. Still, he was only slotted to go early to mid-second round.

After losing to Pepperdine in the WCC Tournament, and thus any chance of making it to the Big Dance, he focused his attention back on getting his degree in Mass Communication.

“It was something my parents wanted for me and something that I wanted for myself, basketball just allowed me to afford my education.”

But with some encouragement from his cousin, Jerome Castle, he decided to give the NBA one last shot.

“Things worked out in my favor. I guess that’s just my mojo working,” he said with a laugh.

Mojo is a nickname that was given to him by his cousin during his freshman year at Etiwanda High. He had only scored 2 points in the first half of a game against rival Chino Hills. By the time the game was over he had almost 30 points as they came away with a big win. The nickname has stuck with him ever since.

It seems to fit with where he has landed his rookie season. New Orleans is the home of mojo, voodoo, hoodoo or whatever you want to call it. With the loss of Anthony Davis in a trade to the Lakers just days before the NBA Draft, the Pelicans fans were left feeling kind of down. Now with newcomers Zion Williamson and Morgan Sauce, the Pelicans at least seem to still be moving in the right direction. Let’s hope he can get some of his mojo working for the city of New Orleans this season.

“I’m not going to say let’s win a championship day one. But I think we have some great young talent and some good veteran leadership too. I think with a few more key pieces and a little time, we can make some noise in the NBA.”
Last edited by chosenone58 on 11 Dec 2019, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 21 Nov 2019, 13:11

OH SNAP!

Scars

Post by Scars » 21 Nov 2019, 13:16

HE GOT THE SAUCE?

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 24 Nov 2019, 21:13

djp73 wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:11
OH SNAP!
Mhm....
Scars wrote:
21 Nov 2019, 13:16
HE GOT THE SAUCE?
Fa sho

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 25 Nov 2019, 07:18

djp73

Post by djp73 » 08 Dec 2019, 15:37

:curtain:

Topic author
chosenone58

Post by chosenone58 » 08 Dec 2019, 22:07