Big Leagues or Bust - Pudge Porter RTTS

This is where to post any MLB or other baseball franchises.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 19 Apr 2021, 15:11

With Show 21 coming to the XB1 I had to do it.

Topic author
djp73

Reserve One

Topic author
djp73

Reserve Two

Topic author
djp73

Reserve Three

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 19 Apr 2021, 15:17

Scouting Report: David Porter

David Porter

Born: 09/19/2002 (Age: 17)
Bats: Right
Throws: Right
Height: 6' 01"
Weight: 255
Primary Position: 3B
Secondary Position: 1B
School: A.M. Barbe (Lake Charles, LA)
---
Evaluator: Jeffrey Paternostro
Report Date: 03/15/2020
Dates Seen: 3/10/20, 3/12/20, 3/13/20, 3/13/20
---
Physical/Health

Porter is big. Weight is a concern. Strong kid, but it's a much thicker lower half than you see from most major leaguers on the left side of the infield. Could probably stand to lose 30+ pounds.
---
MLB ETA: 2024
Risk Factor: Med
OFP: 60
Video: No
---
Tool | Future Grade | Report

Hit | 60 | Decent mechanics. Good bat speed. Chases pitches. Fly ball hitter. Gets behind in the count.

Power | 65 | Plus to plus plus power potential for sure. An absolute danger to any fastball he zones ahead in the count. 25-30 home run guy at peak. The bat makes THAT sound.

Baserunning/Speed | 35 | Clocked 4.6 to 4.8. Not high effort down the line. Better second gear than you'd think going first to third. Speed is not going to be part of his game though.

Glove | 50 | Sneaky athletic, made a nice turn on a bad throw functionally playing shortstop on an over shift. Good stretch at third on a bunt force. Hands and instincts are fine. Could be above-average at first.

Arm | 70 | Plus-plus arm strength. Doesn't always get to all of it while on the move. Can be a bit scattershot.
---
Overall

Surprisingly agile at his size. Could be a plus glove if he gets in better shape. Great arm. Hard to imagine he stays at 3B long term but could be a huge asset offensively if he can maintain replacement level defense there. Could certainly beat the 2024 projection in the right situation.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 19 Apr 2021, 16:00

That's a sick ass nickname :drose: Fucking Pudge. I'd throw hands if someone ever called me Pudge.

mvp

Post by mvp » 19 Apr 2021, 16:10

im with it. fat 17 year old sheesh

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 19 Apr 2021, 16:24

embrace the pudge

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 20 Apr 2021, 14:46

Barbe's Porter awaiting big call
Rodrick Anderson Jun 7, 2020

"It's been a weird year, well a weird few months anyway." Barbe senior David Porter tells me as we sit in the driveway of his grandparents house. Porter is perched on the tailgate of his old beat up truck, a plate piled high with crawfish by his side.

Porter anxiously awaits the Major League Baseball draft that's coming up this weekend. Porter is expected to be drafted but with the draft cut back to just five rounds he has some doubts.

"It's cut back to only five rounds this year. Usually it's like 40 so that's like 1,200 players a normal year and now you're looking at like 150, 160 so the doubts creep in sometimes you know?"

Porter, a big (6'1" and listed on the official Barbe roster at 255 pounds) third baseman with a powerful bat and a surprisingly good glove and arm.

Porter, and the rest of Louisiana, saw the baseball season cut short due to Corona virus.

"We played like 40 games, won state last year you know." Porter pauses to chew a bite of crawfish. "I had a really good season. This year we only played like 14 games. I didn't start out great. Not my best showing."

Porter hit around .450 with 21 home runs in 2019 over 41 games and led Barbe to a 5A state championship. In 2020 Barbe managed to play just 14 games. Porter was hitting .379 with two home runs when the season was cut short after 14 games.

Porter turned down scholarships to play at LSU, McNeese State and others.

"I'm not really a school guy, not my thing. I mean I get by, I get decent grades but I'd rather be playing ball. I was one hundred percent on the decision before covid. Then you start to think about how the draft is cut way down, scouting is way down then the season gets cut so short and it's like maybe the scholarship would have been the batter choice you know?"

I ask Porter if he's regretting his decision.

"I wouldn't say regretting. Rethinking, analyzing. You know?"

Porter pauses, takes a long drink of his Pepsi and then continues.

"I bet on myself with this deal. I don't doubt that I can do it at all but it's maybe a bit more hurdles with all this going on. I want to play ball. I want to help my family and this is the best way to do that. Me being in school doesn't really help anyone right now you know?"

Most MLB draft pundits had Porter going anywhere from the third to sixth round. Teams are allowed to sign an unlimited number of undrafted free agents following the conclusion of the draft.

"Not getting drafted isn't the end of the world but the team is a bit more invested if they do draft you. It's probably an easier path you know?"

I asked Porter if he had any preference where he got drafted.

"Whoever wants me I want to be with them one hundred percent. It would be nice to play some minor league ball around here. Maybe my gramps could see a few more games."

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 21 Apr 2021, 10:26

Diamondbacks select David Porter with the 119th overall pick
By C.Wesley Baier | Jun 11, 2020, 9:52pm EDT

Player: David Porter
DOB: 09/19/02
Position: 3B/1B
School: A.M. Barbe (Lake Charles, LA)
HT: 6’ 1”
WT: 255lbs
Commitment: N/A

With the 119th overall pick of the 2020 MLB Draft, the Diamondbacks selected David Porter, a big, power-hitting, high school third baseman. Although he moves well for his size, has a strong throwing arm, Porter isn’t the fleetest of foot, so a move across the diamond to first is possible.

In terms of raw power, Porter ranks among the top prep hitters in this draft, and has the potential of foul pole to foul pole power. He has a long swing, that although provides significant power, also adds to the difficulty he has in making consistent contact. With improvement and refinement to his swing, Porter can hopefully cut down on a high strikeout rate, make more consistent contact, while still hitting with that easy, natural power.