From the Ashes

This is where to post any MLB or other baseball franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 25 Sep 2021, 19:10

Captain Canada wrote:
19 Sep 2021, 18:11
Last few games :curtain:
Indifferent form
mvp wrote:
20 Sep 2021, 08:00
whats the season stats looking like? i feel like u arent playing poorly, but u dont have many wins
I was going to do a stat roundup here shortly but:
2-4, 65.1 IP, 7 BB, 71 SO, 2.20 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 11 GS, 6 quality starts, 2.4 WAR, 9.78 K/9, 0.96 BB/9, 0.55 HR/9, 2.01 FIP

Soapy

From the Ashes

Post by Soapy » 28 Sep 2021, 20:07

wtf is this

streets aint let me know about this smh

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 30 Sep 2021, 20:47

Surprise Inclusion

Julien walked into the clubhouse, adjusting the ice pack that he had on his shoulder. The season was getting to its conclusion and his body was letting him know it every time that he went out and threw a few pitches – whether that was in a game or in practice.

The Braves were a few games back in the Double-A South division race, but Julien wasn’t quite sure how he was supposed to take minor league playoffs. Sure, he wanted to win. He always wanted to win, whether that was in the minors or in little league. But did anyone else care if the Mississippi Braves made the playoffs or not?

It wasn’t something on his mind, but it seemed that most of the guys were wondering if they would benefit from others getting the call from the big league club at the tail end of the season should they be out of the playoff race. Maybe not a jump to the show, but a move up to Triple-A.

He wasn’t much of a social media guy, but Julien knew he wasn’t on anyone in Atlanta’s radar.

…or so he thought.

“Augustin, come here,” Wyatt Toregas called from his office.

Julien walked into the room and sat down in one of the empty chairs. He wiped some of the running ice water from his arm and dried his hand on his pants.

The manager walked around the desk and picked up his cellphone. He put the phone on speaker and set it back down. “He’s in here, Chip.”

“Julien,” a voice said from the other end of the line. “Chip Moore here. I’m sure that name doesn’t mean anything to you, but I’m EVP over our minor league affiliates. We’re always watching our guys down there and you got a cannon on you, son.”

“Thank you,” Julien said.

“Told you he doesn’t talk much, Chip,” Toregas said.

“No worries. With all the Spanish guys in the majors, most of the players don’t talk much. Look, I would’ve done this in person if it wasn’t for this damn COVID shit, but we’re going to need you to fly to Colorado, kid.”

Julien raised an eyebrow, confused, and looked at Toregas. “I’m getting traded?”

“Hell no,” Moore said. “We think we might have a diamond in the rough in you and the people voting for this type of thing think so too because you’ve been selected to the Futures Game. Congrats, son. Go out there and do the organization proud.”

“I don’t understand. Who would even vote for me?”

“A lot of fucking people. You led the pitchers in votes,” the manager said as he sat down in his chair.

“Yep. You’re going to be starting up there, too. I got another call I need to hop. These fucking zoom things are going to be the death of me. You keep dealing, Julien. You’ll be in the show before you know it.” And then the line disconnected.

Toregas turned to his computer and smacked the monitor a couple times to get the color right. “They already got your travel all lined up. I think you’re flying out of Jackson, so we’ll get you there tomorrow night.”

Julien nodded and stood up to leave. As he did, he felt a little shellshocked but a small part of him felt as if it was walking on clouds.

Standing alongside some of the brightest prospects in baseball, Julien took in the sparse crowd at Coors Field – on account of COVID, of course.

As the national anthem played, he looked back on the whirlwind tour his life had taken over the last 18 months. It wasn’t that long ago that he was preparing to play JuCo baseball at Baton Rouge Community College and now he was playing in the warm-up for the All-Star Game. On the same field that he was about to play on, some of the greatest major leaguers right now would step onto the diamond in the league’s showpiece exhibition.

It was surreal.

And minutes later, when he took off his cap as he walked back out of the dugout for the first inning of the game, he looked to the sky as he did before every game he started.

Then he walked to the mound to toe the rubber in a major league park for the first time.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 07:26

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 12:51

Captain Canada

From the Ashes

Post by Captain Canada » 02 Oct 2021, 13:05

Iced them :obama: Good shit.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 16:29

On the Move

Walking back into the clubhouse for the first time in what felt like weeks, but was only a few days, Julien exchanged pleasantries with some of the other guys as he sat down in front of his locker. After making the trip to Colorado for the Futures game, he was off to the Double-A All-Star game where he represented the South Division.

He was apparently supposed to start that game as well, but after his two-inning outing in the Futures game, it was decided that he would play an inning toward the middle of the game. It was a short day for him as all three of the batters he faced hit grounders to second base and were easily thrown out.

He wouldn’t mind if he started having more innings like that in games that counted.

Reaching down to untie his shoes, he felt a tap on his shoulder and heard his name being called. The manager stood over him with William Contreras standing behind. If there was anyone that Julien had formed somewhat of a bond with over the last few months, it was William. Julien chalked it up to catcher-pitcher synergy.

William had his duffel bag on his back and was wearing his street clothes.

“Don’t bother getting changed, Augustin,” Wyatt Toregas said as he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a plane ticket. He held the ticket out to Julien.

“Am I getting traded now?” Julien asked as he took the ticket. He opened the small folder and saw it was for a flight bound for Georgia.

“You really have to start working on that confidence if you’re going to make it to the majors,” the manager said, shaking his head. “You’re being called up.” He nodded over his shoulder at William. “Both of you. Y’all are on your way to Gwinnett. The powers that be want to keep a closer eye on you in Triple-A.”

“Oh,” Julien said. To say he was confused was an understatement. The last week had already felt like a whirlwind with playing in the Futures game and the Double-A All-Star game and now he was being moved up to a higher classification after only a dozen or so games at Double-A.

“You’ve done well, kid. The organization sees that. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Keep your head down and keep working and who knows where you’ll be in a few years,” Toregas said. He held his hand out to Julien to shake. “I hope if I see you again it’s because I’m coaching somewhere a little higher than Pearl, Mississippi and not because you’re back in Pearl.”

Julien stood up and shook the man’s hand. “Thanks. I hope so, too.”

“They’re expecting you two in Lawrenceville by the end of the day, so you better get whatever you need to do here done and get to the airport. They’re waiting on a call to come get you.”

Julien and William exchanged a few more farewells with the manager and the others in the clubhouse before they headed back out.

Destination: Lawrenceville, Georgia and the Gwinnett Stripers.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 16:40

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 16:53

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 16:55