From the Ashes

This is where to post any MLB or other baseball franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 17:40

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Oct 2021, 18:22

Agent

From the Ashes

Post by Agent » 02 Oct 2021, 18:25

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 03 Oct 2021, 07:23

Agent wrote:
02 Oct 2021, 18:25
Just trying to be like Tiny when he grows up, brudda

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 03 Oct 2021, 08:03

Agent

From the Ashes

Post by Agent » 03 Oct 2021, 11:13

Caesar wrote:
03 Oct 2021, 07:23
Just trying to be like Tiny when he grows up, brudda
he needs some dubs then! Call out Jon Jones fam

Nah I’m sure he’s not to blame for the teams failure.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 05 Oct 2021, 15:39

Quick Turnaround

“Augustin, a word?” Gwinnett’s manager Matt Tuiasosopo said to Julien as he walked into the clubhouse.

Over the last few months, Julien had learned not to fear getting called into the manager’s office so much. It helped that every time it had happened in that time span, something good had come out of it but there wasn’t much more he expected to happen in his first season in the minors.

With a couple of months left and a handful of starts for him to go in the campaign, he was just looking forward to some rest and relaxation and a chance to reflect on the last eight or so months of his life. Never would he have thought that he would be in the rotation for a Triple-A club at only 19 years old.

Maybe on a video game, but certainly not in real life.

Sitting down across from Tuiasosopo, Julien eyed the man. He himself was only a few years removed from his playing career having retired in 2018. His last major league ball club was the Braves and he played for the then-Gwinnett Braves afterwards. But that’s all Julien knew about him given he’d only been in Gwinnett for a few weeks, and had basically shown up at the tail end of the season.

The manager took off his hat and set it on the desk and said as he sat down, “They want you up on the big stage, Augustin. I just got the call this morning that they’re going to be calling you up today, getting you to an airport and flying you out to St. Louis to start against the Cards.”

“Already? Someone get injured?”

“Someone at the end of the rotation was playing bad enough that the powers that be decided they’d rather bring you up than keep trying to find a band-aid that works,” the older man said. “It’s after the trade deadline and we’re talking about a team only a few games back of the wild card. Sometimes, organizations go looking in their farm system for that spark plug to get them into the playoffs. This time, you’re that potential spark plug.”

“Well, shit,” was all that Julien could muster thinking of the monumental burden that was about to be dropped on his young shoulders.

“Look, I understand. When we start playing ball as kids all we want to do is go to the majors. I had my chance and I had a pretty decent career. If nothing else, I can say that I did it. I was there. Even if only for a day. You’re about to get your chance. But you’re young. Worst case scenario, you get rocked and allow 15 and they send you right back down. You do a few more years here and then go another shot down the road. You’d still be a young guy.”

“I guess you’re right.”

“Guess? I know I’m right. I’m telling you that you’re getting called up to the show after 11 starts in Double-A and four in Triple-A. You’re playing with house money at this point, kid. If you even have a decent outing out in St. Louis, who knows what you’re going to be looking at in the future?”

Julien nodded, still struggling to process that he was already on the move again. But that would be his life if he really wanted to make a go at being a professional ball player.

“You better get a move on, son. Like I said, they want you with the team and ready to pitch in a couple days against major leaguers. I don’t know where your head is at right now but wherever it is, you only have a few hours to get it straight.”

Julien walked into the busy concourse of Lambert International Airport and took in the sights of yet another stop on his journey.

His thoughts went to his brother who many thought would be the one that would be jetting all over the United States with a bat and a glove, making a name for himself. Well, Julien may have gotten a shot but Romain definitely would’ve. If only it weren’t for one fateful night not too long ago, another Augustin might be getting off a plane in St. Louis headed to a major league park.

Taking his phone out of his pocket, he hit call on one of the few numbers that he bothered saving. It rang.

And rang.

And rang.

And rang.

And then went to voicemail.

He hung up and tried again, but this time it went straight to voicemail after one ring. He sighed and stuffed his phone back into his pocket.

Someone with the team was supposed to be meeting him to take him to wherever he needed to go and that meant finding that person in the mass of bodies that seemed to be forcing him to move this way and that against his will.

While on the plane, it seemed as if his nerves had fallen away – all those thousands of feet above the Earth. But now, he could feel them beginning to bubble back up.

The Braves were playing the second game of four against the Cardinals that night. If the team expected him to start against them, that meant that Julien would be making his first start in the majors in only two days’ time.

That wasn’t a lot of time to get prepared.

But it was enough time to get nervous.

Spotting baggage claim through the throngs of people, he noticed someone with a Braves pullover on holding a sign with his name on it.

He walked over the man. “I’m Julien Augustin.”

“I figured from the height,” the man said nodding up. He pointed to the small duffel bag on Julien’s shoulder. “That everything?”

“Yep.”

“Let’s get a move on then.”

mvp

From the Ashes

Post by mvp » 05 Oct 2021, 15:48

getting the call after all those Ls ...hopefully some wins are on the way bro

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 06 Oct 2021, 19:44

Captain Canada

From the Ashes