From the Ashes

This is where to post any MLB or other baseball franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 29 Aug 2021, 04:39

mvp

From the Ashes

Post by mvp » 30 Aug 2021, 11:15

damn 2 L's in a row is tough. i do like the realistic struggles tho tbh. last game wasnt terrible, just had no help

Captain Canada

From the Ashes

Post by Captain Canada » 30 Aug 2021, 13:20

Last two games were definitely rough. Gotta bounce back

James

From the Ashes

Post by James » 02 Sep 2021, 12:38

ERA slowly creeping up. Change any settings or just the natural ebb and flow of the game?

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 02 Sep 2021, 16:58

mvp wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 11:15
damn 2 L's in a row is tough. i do like the realistic struggles tho tbh. last game wasnt terrible, just had no help
The M-Braves are horrible at the plate but I'm taking that last one on myself lol
Captain Canada wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 13:20
Last two games were definitely rough. Gotta bounce back
Gotta get through the rough patches to shine.
James wrote:
02 Sep 2021, 12:38
ERA slowly creeping up. Change any settings or just the natural ebb and flow of the game?
That last one was a result of not being comfortable with the fielding controls and allowing a guy I walked to score from 1st by throwing the ball over my infielders' heads thus making my pitching all squirrelly. :pgdead:

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 04 Sep 2021, 20:52

Struggles

Julien walked into a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint off Highway 80 – well, hole-in-the-wall compared to what he was used to frequenting back home. He could smell the ribs and other meats cooking in the kitchen and for a moment, almost let his stomach write a check that his pockets couldn’t cash before he remembered that he was a minor league ball player.

Considering how his bank account looked, he probably should’ve gone to the Church’s Chicken across the street. But after three tough starts, he felt he needed to splurge a little. It’s not like Bud and Ethel expected him to pay anything for his lodging. That was coming out of the team’s pocket.

He grabbed a menu and waited for the man in line ahead of him to finish placing his order.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed another man staring at him. Julien glanced over and immediately knew, judging by the lack of a mask on the second man’s face, that he wasn’t too happy about the one that Julien wore.

Mississippi was still Mississippi after all. Known for making the likes of Arkansas, Alabama and Louisiana look good.

He let out a little sigh of relief when the oddly offended man received his order and left the restaurant. The man in front of him completed his order and headed for the bathrooms.

“Next,” the girl behind the counter said.

Julien shuffled forward, his eyes somewhat down on the menu.

“What ya gettin’?” she asked, tapping her fingers on the notepad that was set on the counter. She twirled a pen between the fingers of her other hand.

“Uh.” Julien scanned the menu, suddenly noticing the prices were a little higher than he’d expected. “Uh, let me get the chicken breast with potato salad.”

The girl raised her eyebrow.

“Wait, what do y’all put in your potato salad?” he asked.

“We hold the raisins,” she said, her voice monotone.

Julien started to respond to that but thought better of it. Instead, he nodded and put the menu back in the holder with the rest of them. “Yeah, I’ll take that.”

“Drink?”

“Nah, I’m good.”

“$8.93.”

As Julien was reaching into his pocket for his wallet, the first man came back from the bathroom to get his order and immediately sneezed only a few inches away from Julien’s face. He took a lunging step back to put some space between them, drawing a dirty look from the other guy – despite him being in the wrong.

Julien took the mask off his face and tossed it into the garbage can before grabbing a new one out of his back pocket and putting it on. He stepped back to the counter to pay.

“I thought you looked familiar,” the cashier said.

“I do?”

“Yeah, there ain’t too many really tall guys walkin’ ‘round Pearl who ain’t playin’ for the Braves. That’s how it works in a minor league city,” she said then shrugged. “Or so I been told. Ain’t really been to any but Pearl.”

“Oh, alright.” He handed her his debit card and mentally crossed his fingers that it wouldn’t get declined when she swiped it.

She ripped Julien’s order off the notepad and hung it up for the kitchen. “Want some advice?”

“About what?”

“Baseball, of course.”

Now, it was Julien’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “I didn’t come in here telling you how to do your job, did I?”

“No, but are you good at it?”

“What? Am I good at baseball?”

“No, are you good at being a cashier in a BBQ restaurant in Pearl?”

Julien shrugged. “Never tried it. Are you implying that you’re good enough at baseball to tell minor leaguers what to do?”

“I don’t know, but what I do know is I ain’t never allowed four runs in five innin’ against the Montgomery Biscuits.”

“Three.”

“To-may-ta. To-mah-to. So, you want the advice or not?”

“Sure. Not like I can go anywhere until I get my food.”

“You gotta stay out of your own head. When you start fuckin’ up, you start slingin’ the ball ‘round like you tryin’ to get Mississippi State to give you a scholarship. You just forget that your teammates only 90 feet away, not 900. So, ya know. Woosah or somethin’.”

“Probably some obvious advice.”

She nodded as an older woman walked out of the kitchen and set Julien’s order on the counter.

“I’m tellin’ ya. You gotta do it all the time though. If ya only do it every so often, it ain’t gonna work. Try it in your next start. You’ll see! Then I’m gonna need my cut of your next game check and ya first one in the majors.”

Julien laughed. “Sure.”

She slid his order over to him. “There ya go.”

“Thanks,” he said, nodding. He turned to leave but stopped short. “What’s your name?”

“Meredith, but everyone calls me Mere.”

“Mere? Like a horse?”

“Yes, like a horse,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“Alright then. See you later, Mere like a horse.” He threw her a wave and headed for the door, hoping they actually didn’t put raisins in their potato salad.

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 04 Sep 2021, 21:12

Topic author
Caesar

From the Ashes

Post by Caesar » 04 Sep 2021, 21:14

djp73

From the Ashes

Post by djp73 » 07 Sep 2021, 04:58

Couple solid outings there. Woosah.