The Dancer - Danny Portillo - RTTS

This is where to post any MLB or other baseball franchises.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 08:42

Career Stats

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 08:42

Career Accolades

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 08:53

Career Transactions
June 11 2020 - Drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 5th round of the MLB Draft
March 29 2021 - Assigned to FCL Red Sox (Rookie)
March 28 2022 - Assigned to FCL Red Sox (Rookie)
March 27 2023 - Assigned to Portland Sea Dogs (AA)

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 08:53

Game by Game Results

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 09:41

For Portillo the long and winding road heads to Portland
By Charles Kelce
March 27, 2023

Earlier today knuckleballer Danny Portillo was assigned to the Red Sox AA affiliate Portland Sea Dogs. The assignment marks a milestone for him, but he's also made it clear that his aspirations are set much higher.

"After all that's happened these past three years it definitely feels like an accomplishment and like we're finally on the right track but there's a long to go to get where I'm trying to be." Portillo said.

Portillo is referring to the past three years he has spent in the Red Sox organization after being taken in the fifth round of the 2020 MLB Draft that was heavily truncated due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Portillo was drafted as a potential closer with a fastball that allegedly topped 100 mph.

Shortly after being drafted Portillo suffered an ulnar injury during a questionable workout. Portillo worked hard to beat the expected timeline for his return and joined the Rookie league FCL Red Sox for the start of the 2021 season. Three pitches into his first appearance in a live game Portillo re-aggrivated the same ulnar injury.

Again there was a grueling rehab process but Portillo found that although he was back to being able to pitch with no pain his delivery had changed and the velocity that had scouts so excited was gone. Portillo was unable to consistently top 85 with his fastball.

"When you can hit 100 plus they don't work with you on much else." Portillo explained. "Velocity was all I really had."

Portillo spent 2022 away from the organization developing a whole new arsenal of pitches, focused primarily on the knuckle ball.

"It's easy on the arm. I used to have maybe 20 or 30 pitches in me but I feel like I can throw all day now."

Portillo, who got the idea while watching old Red Sox games featuring Tim Wakefield with his father, impressed the Red Sox coaching staff enough to be slated in as a starter in Portland despite not pitching in any live games since his reinvention.

"It's the middle." Portillo said of where he's at in his journey. "It's definitely not the end but it's not the start either. I've got to remember and appreciate all it's taken to get here."

Portillo is expected to start against the Fisher Cats on April 12th.

Agent

Post by Agent » 01 Jul 2023, 10:05

Portillo time. He gotta wife up Cassidy

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 10:20

Portillo dazzles in debut
By Dani Duncan
April 12, 2023

Portillo celebrates after a strikeout

"It was really everything we hoped to see, probably more really." Sea Dogs pitching coach Sean Isaac said of Danny Portillo's first start. "Probably left him in there a bit too long but it was a great outing for him. We're all very happy with it."

Portillo pitched seven scoreless innings, striking out 11, before giving up a pair of hits and a run in the eighth before being relieved.

"Yeah probably a dozen or so too many pitches out there today." Portillo said after the game. "I was a little surprised to get the nod for the eighth but it is what it is. I'm happy with it and we got the win. Got some strikeouts and great defense behind me."

Portillo threw 93 pitches in all, 80 for strikes. He gave up seven hits, no walks and just the single run as the Sea Dogs topped the Fisher Cats by a final score of 6-1, improving to 3-2 on the season.

Portland faces New Hampshire four more times before returning home to host Reading in a six game series. Portillo is expected to start again next Tuesday night.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 01 Jul 2023, 10:34

Agent wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 10:05
Portillo time. He gotta wife up Cassidy
:lebronscream:
Cassidy prefers the company of females though.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 04 Jul 2023, 15:19

Sea Dogs shut out in loss to Reading
By Dani Duncan
April 18, 2023

Portillo watches a Reading home run in the first inning

Danny Portillo gave up a two run homer to Reading's Vimael Machin in the top of the first and that would prove to be all they needed in order to secure the win.

The Sea Dogs managed five hits but got no runs across as they fell to 6-4 on the season.

Portillo recovered nicely after giving up the home run, holding Reading scoreless after that and again tallying 11 strikeouts.

Portillo threw 76 pitches, 66 of them for strikes. He held the Phils hitless in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.

Justin Crawford had reached base on an error, meaning that Portillo was only charged for one earned run.

Portland has five more games against the Fightin Phils with Portillo expected to pitch the final game of the series on April 23rd.

Agent

Post by Agent » 04 Jul 2023, 18:26

He wasn’t dancing in that one