Fearless in Seattle

This is where to post any franchises from sports not listed above.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Dec 2018, 14:59

Seattle wins bid for new NHL expansion team!

The KeyArena will house a new NHL team moving forward, starting with the 2018-2019 season

May 28, 2018

Las Vegas, NV -- The NHL Board of Governors met tonight just before the first game of the Stanley Cup finals between the Washington Capitals and Vegas Golden Knights gets underway here in Las Vegas to discuss additional league expansion and voted unanimously to approve a 32nd team.

Given the enormous success of the Vegas Golden Knights in their first year and the desire to move to a round 32 teams, the league was looking to expand again as soon as possible and the approved bid was from a group based in Seattle. The group, led by billionaire David Bonderman, Hollywood producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and longtime sports executive Tim Leiweke, is spending roughly $700 million to renovate the KeyArena for a modern hockey team. The group has also expressed interest in bring NBA basketball back to Seattle in the past.

The area is hungry for a team, as more than 33,000 fans placed deposits on season tickets when the bid was first placed. Seattle's hungry market and existing arena mean the team is ripe for a start as soon as the upcoming 2018-2019 season. GM's are aghast at the possibility of having an expansion draft so soon, but also keen to expand while the painful lessons of the Vegas expansion draft are still fresh in their minds. They are determined to not let another expansion team become a title contender so quickly. The league is trying to hurry the process along as the expansion draft is scheduled for June 21st, leaving all 32 teams without much time to prepare.

The team will be announcing their front office and coaching staff as well as their uniforms and branding shortly.
Last edited by Chillcavern on 03 Jan 2019, 13:58, edited 6 times in total.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Team history

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Records

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Dec 2018, 15:01

settings

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Dec 2018, 15:02

You can post, that's all I want to save. Got a lot to do still, but wanted to get something posted here.

Rob
Site Admin

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Rob » 17 Dec 2018, 15:17

Nice! You brought some life to the hockey section. I look forward to reading it.

djp73

Fearless in Seattle

Post by djp73 » 17 Dec 2018, 15:46

you doing expansion on an old game or waiting for the new one?

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Dec 2018, 19:26

Seattle fills out front office staff, announces new GM and assistant

Seattle hired two well qualified candidates to fill out their front office in Kelly McCrimmon and Patrick Roy

June 10, 2018

Seattle, WA -- Today, the newly formed Seattle NHL expansion team announced their hires that round out the first front office in team history. Former NHL Head Coach Dave Tippett was hired as an adviser and top level team executive under team CEO Tod Leiweke, brother of ownership member Tim Leiweke and the NFL's former chief operating officer. The two then embarked on a search to fill out the rest of the office.

The pair announced that now former Vegas Golden Knights assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon would become the team's first general manager. McCrimmon, one of the architects of Vegas' magical run to the Cup finals, will be making the transition to his first full-fledged GM job in another expansion situation. McCrimmon said about working for two expansion teams in a row, "you don't get to choose your situation in this league. To get the opportunity to build a team as you envision is a dream come true! It's hard to leave Vegas, especially given the bitter taste in my mouth about the finals, but in Seattle I'll really get a chance to spread my wings and really get to put my stamp on a team. Ultimately I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to ply my craft in Seattle." He will be joined in the front office with his new assistant GM, Hall of Fame goalie Patrick Roy.

Roy, the former Avalanche coach who was recently connected to a return to the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, had similar thoughts on his move to the team: "Vegas really changed the perspective of many on what an expansion team can do. The reason I left the league is because I felt like I had no influence over my team's personnel. Making the move to the front office allows me to focus on my strengths and focus on developing a winning team and culture. I'm really excited to make a difference in the NHL again, this time from a different role."

The office will now begin the nightmarish tasks of preparing the expansion team for the upcoming expansion and entry drafts as well as the processes of finalizing the team's branding and finding the team's first head coach.
Last edited by Chillcavern on 03 Jan 2019, 13:58, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Dec 2018, 19:30

Rob wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:17
Nice! You brought some life to the hockey section. I look forward to reading it.
:ooo: hope I won't let you down Rob, I'm looking forward to building my own team from the ground up here.
djp73 wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:46
you doing expansion on an old game or waiting for the new one?
Doing it on NHL 19 which is the current one? Dunno, it's a couple months old at this point. It's kinda awkward but I'm moving up the expansion timeline up a couple years to make it work, lol.

Thanks for commenting guys!

Captain Canada

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Captain Canada » 17 Dec 2018, 21:42

You know I'm always down for a hockey chise. Let's get it crackin' :blessed: