We Shall Be | Middlesbrough Football Club

This is where to post any soccer franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 18 Oct 2019, 04:02

Game: FIFA 20
Console: XBox One
Difficulty: Ultimate
Sliders: FIFA 20 OS Community Sliders
Last edited by Caesar on 18 Oct 2019, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Caesar

HOUSE RULES
Squad Rules
Competition squad rules must be abided by. The following rules are in effect for the competitions that the club may compete in:

English Premier League
Maximum squad size of 25 players
Maximum of 23 outfield players
Minimum of 8 Home Grown players (A player who has spent at least 3 seasons with a team affiliated to the FA or FAW before their the season they turn 22 years old)
Under 21s or Academy players do not count towards the squad cap
Maximum of 2 loans registered at the same time
Maximum of 1 player can be loaned in from each club
Maximum of 4 loans per season
A player cannot be loaned to another Premier League team in the same transfer window that he is brought into the club

English Football League
18 man matchday squad restrictions
Must include at least 1 Club Developed player (A player who has spent at least one season training with the club before the season they turn 19)
Minimum of 7 Home Grown players (A player who has spent at least 3 seasons with a team affiliated to the FA or FAW before their the season they turn 22 years old)
Maximum of 5 players on loan
Non-matchday squad restrictions:
No maximum squad size
Maximum of 4 players on loan from a single club
Maximum of 2 players over 24 on loan from a single club

F.A. Cup
Follows same squad restrictions as English Premier League
No player can play for more than 1 club in the same season

Carabao Cup
Follows same squad restrictions as English Football League
No player can play for more than 1 club in the same season
Clubs must field a full strength side (Full strength means a maximum of 3 players who have not played at least 50% of league games)

UEFA Champions League
Minimum of 2 goalkeeepers selected
Minimum of 4 players trained at the club between their 15th and 21st birthday
Minimum of 8 players trained in the nation between their 15th and 21st birthday
Maximum of 1 player who has been registered in an European competition at another club
Maximum of 3 players can be swapped after the Winter Transfer Window
Players who are 21 years old or younger and have been registered at the club for at least one year do not have to be registered.

UEFA Europa League
Minimum of 2 goalkeeepers selected
Minimum of 4 players trained at the club between their 15th and 21st birthday
Minimum of 8 players trained in the nation between their 15th and 21st birthday
Maximum of 1 player who has been registered in an European competition at another club
Maximum of 3 players can be swapped after the Winter Transfer Window
Players who are 21 years old or younger and have been registered at the club for at least one year do not have to be registered.

Players who are not registered in any squad or using any special squad rulings must be loaned out or sold as soon as possible.

Scouting
Players must come mostly from countries where you would expect an English team to recruit players from, primarily the UK and Ireland. Players from English speaking countries, for example the US, Australia or Malta, or the Commonwealth will be given some preference as well. Players from continental European leagues will be preferred to players from Asian or South American leagues without good reason to simulate work permit restrictions.

After March 2019 no non-UK, or UK overseas territory, nationality player can be signed for the club without meeting one of a set of criteria. Firstly if the player was born in the UK or a UK overseas territory but has a different designated FIFA nationality. Secondly they have played in a UK league for at least 2 seasons. Thirdly they have a minimum of 10 international caps. Finally they have played in a major international competition or European club competition. A maximum of 3 non-UK nationality players can be signed per window after March 2019. This is to simulate the effect of Brexit on the transfer market.

Players must be A) scouted through the GTN or B) performing in a league and/or competition that would realistically garner attention. For example, an English 17-year-old in the MLS would not garner attention and therefore unless I had a scout in the U.S., I cannot sign that player. If said English 17-year-old was the top scorer in the Europa League regardless of what club he is playing for, I can sign that player as media attention would be heaped on that player. Youth academy scouting must follow the same rules as the above rule about where players should come from. Most of the club’s youth academy should be and will be English or English-speaking. There will be a secondary preference given to Commonwealth countries or countries with high UK immigration numbers (Nigeria, Poland, India etc).

As to which youth academy players are selected, any English player with a 90+ MAXIMUM potential (i.e. 69-93) in their first month of being scouted must be signed. If their potential drops, I can’t release them from the club until they are 17 and/or demand to be signed to the first team. If there is a demand to be signed to the first team and their potential high at the time is 83+, they must be signed to the first team.

Players from the preference countries must be scouted a minimum of 3 months and their MINIMUM potential has to be 80+ before I can sign them to my youth academy. Players from other countries (i.e. Brazil, FInland, Germany, etc.) must be scouted a minimum of 5 months and their MINIMUM potential has to be 85+ before I can them to my youth academy. This is to A) simulate that a club would only want the best of the best from another country out of their normal scouting sphere and B) increase the chance of players being poached as I have to wait on them longer.

Contracts (Tenative)
  • A wage structure must be maintained at all times.
  • Players will be put into the tiered squad roles as follows: 4 crucial first team players, 9 important first team players, 15 squad rotation players, unlimited number of any player below squad rotation.
  • Every player in a tier must make the same amount per week. Each tier down must make 35 percent less than the tier above. For example, if crucial first team players make 150,000 a week, important first team players must make 115,000 a week and so on.
  • The numbers are hard caps. If I bring in a crucial first team player, a crucial first team player has to leave or take a pay cut. If a crucial first team player accepts a pay cut, an important first team player must leave or take a pay cut and so on.
  • If a player demands a raise to the next tier up and there is no room for them, they must be sold in the next possible window. No exceptions.
  • The wage structure will be enacted after the first season to allow for the players initially on the roster to be fit into it.
  • All players must have a release clause in their contract per Spanish Law.
Transfers In
  • At no point will I use sites like sofifa, FUTWiz, etc.
  • As stated above in the scouting portion, players who are bought must fit into the categories above. No exceptions.
  • During player negotiations, players who are 22 and under and who are scouted as “high potential” players and not expected to be in the club’s regular rotation, must have 20% added to their transfer value. For example, if player X is 10 million, I must offer the club 12 million. Counter offers of a higher value can be negotiated in any manner I see fit as long as the 20% increase is maintained.
  • Players who are 22 and under and who are scouted as “high potential” players and who are expected to be part of the club’s regular rotation, must have 40% added to their transfer value. Players who are expected to be a part of the regular first team must have 100% added to their transfer value. The transfer market is outrageous these days. I shouldn’t be signing 18-year-old world beating first team regulars for 10 million.
  • I can only sign one player per season on a free contract in January. However, the player must either be A) under the average overall of the players at that position or B) a crucial first team player.
  • I can sign players for bargains in the final season of their contract. This extends to players under 22, but the percentage increase must be accounted for.
  • Any player signed must fit into the wage structure of the club. If a player breaks the wage structure, it must be adjusted to match (i.e. players getting raises to match new high). However, the player quotas cannot be changed and as such, sales must be made to balance.
  • I can match any player's release clause.
  • I must delegate all transfer dealings to simulate having a sporting director.
Transfers Out
  • Wage structure rules apply.
  • I can only force crucial and important first team players to stay by pricing them out of a move.
  • I can haggle with squad rotation players’ prices, but I cannot price them out of a move.
  • If a bid comes in above 50 percent of a player under squad rotation’s value, I must sell them. No exceptions.
Player Exchanges
  • Player exchange transfers will be kept to a minimum.
  • If a young player is transferred as part of a player exchange and I would like to bring them back, I can at 150% of their value.

Financial Fair Play
  • Every effort will be made to not exceed 30 million in debt at the end of the transfer window. If 30 million is exceed, sales must be made to balance by the end of the following year’s window (i.e. if in violation in Summer 2017 then by Summer 2018, the debt must be cleared).
  • Prize money, shirt sales, etc. can be used to balance debt.
This list is a living document and may be added to.
Last edited by Caesar on 11 Nov 2019, 20:57, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Caesar

HISTORY
Formation through to the Great War (1876–1914)

According to Boro folklore, the idea for forming the football club was suggested during a tripe supper at the Corporation Hotel, Middlesbrough,[1] and while this has since been discovered by club historian Harry Glasper to be untrue, it is certainly true that like many football clubs of the time (such as The Wednesday), Middlesbrough F.C. were formed by members of the local cricket club wishing to stay fit during the winter.[2] Indeed, it was at Albert Park on Linthorpe Road where players from Middlesbrough Amateur Cricket Club formed the fledgling team.[3] The club retained its amateur status until 1889 when several members of Middlesbrough FC split to form Middlesbrough Ironopolis over a dispute. Both teams made their debuts as professional teams within a week of each other in December 1889.

After three years it was clear that both clubs were becoming more successful and club officials knew that only an amalgamation would give them a serious chance of a place in the Football League. On 7 May 1892 an application was made to the Football League under the name of Middlesbrough and Ironopolis Football and Athletic Club. The application failed and both clubs went their separate ways once more, as Middlesbrough FC reverted to their amateur status. They won the FA Amateur Cup in 1895 and again in 1898. The following year, 1899, Middlesbrough turned professional again in an attempt to gain entry to the Football League, and on 18 May 1899, backed by local neighbours Newcastle United and Sunderland, they were admitted to the Second Division, narrowly ahead of Blackpool.

Boro's first season in the FL was not a success, as they failed to win an away game, finishing 14th out of 18 teams. The 1901–02 campaign saw Boro finish second, to gain promotion to the First Division, where they would play their home games in their new ground, Ayresome Park, with a North Stand designed by Archibald Leitch, that would be their home for the next 92 years. This was exactly next to Ironopolis's old stadium, known as The Paradise Ground.

By February 1905, Boro had not won an away game for two years, and in an attempt to remedy this the board sanctioned the controversial transfer of Alf Common for a then record fee of £1,000.[4] The following season, Steve Bloomer arrived from Derby County, and by 1907–08 Boro had secured their highest finish in the top division, finishing sixth, just two points behind runners-up Aston Villa.

National scandal was to follow in 1910, when Boro defeated local rivals Sunderland 1–0. It was to emerge after the match that Boro manager Andy Walker had offered Sunderland's players the sum of £2 each to let Boro win the game. The Sunderland players told their manager and he took it further. Walker was given an indefinite suspension from the FL, and Middlesbrough's season petered out to a drab conclusion. Four years later, Middlesbrough enjoyed their highest finish to date, as they ended the 1913–14 season in third place, before the First World War intervened.

Between the World Wars (1919–1939)

After the war, several players were too old to continue, and three had been killed in action.[5] Before the season restarted, Boro were victorious in the Northern Victory League, and looked forward to competitive football again. While striker George Elliott and keeper Tim Williamson were still at the top of their game, the team's chance at the championship had faded and they finished mid-table. They remained there for the next few seasons, before finally slipping to relegation in 1923–24, finishing 22nd of 22, ten points adrift of their nearest rivals.[6]

Three seasons later, they won the Division Two title, despite gaining only one point from their first four games. For their fifth game, injury meant George Camsell, signed from Third Division North side Durham City the previous season, got a start. He was to prove a revelation, and finished with a record 59 league goals, including nine hat tricks. He would continue as top scorer for each of the next ten seasons.[7]

Although back in the top flight, the club didn't last long. Despite a good start to the season, Herbert Bamlett was replaced in January 1928, and replaced by former Spurs boss Peter McWilliam. However, following this, the club slipped to bottom of the table and were relegated. They bounced straight back the next season though, winning another Second Division title, remaining in the top flight after that until 1954.

After several seasons of milling around the bottom reaches of the table, 1936–37 saw the emergence of Wilf Mannion, whom Boro had signed from local club South Bank St Peter's. George Hardwick, who came from South Bank East End, also emerged. Both would go on to become England internationals in the years ahead. Boro rose to seventh that season, before moving to fifth, then up to fourth, their highest since before the First World War. Under former Grimsby boss Wilf Gallow, the club looked good to challenge for the 1939–40 title. In fact, Boro were second-bottom after three games, when war was declared, and broke up arguably their finest ever side.[5]

A steady decline (1946–1966)

After the war, the club was unable to recover the form of the previous seasons and hovered around mid-table and the early rounds of the FA Cup. With Jamaican-born Lindy Delapenha playing on the wing, Boro climbed to ninth in 1949–50. The next season, nearing Christmas, Boro headed the First Division table, but a 1–0 defeat at Leeds knocked confidence and they slipped to sixth. Midway through the season, Hardwick also left the club to become player-manager of Oldham, and afterwards the team began to falter, eventually falling to relegation in 1953–54.

Their first season began awfully, but they managed to recover and finish 12th. A 6–0 win over West Ham and a 9–0 defeat to Blackburn showed it was a season of mixed results. Mannion had refused to sign a new contract upon relegation and was transferred to Hull City, where soon afterwards he disappeared into non-league football.[5]

This was the start of a 20-year spell outside the top flight, but saw the emergence of another Middlesbrough great – Brian Clough. Making his debut in 1955–56, he helped the club to 14th place. From the next season, he started to establish himself in history. He rattled in the goals – 38 in that season, then 40, 43, 39 and 34, gaining his only two England caps in 1959–60, before inevitably leaving for arch-rivals Sunderland. After 204 goals in 222 games, he would be missed.[8] Over that period, Boro maintained reasonable progress in the Second Division but never looked like gaining promotion.

After a 4th-place finish in 1962–63, the only way for Boro was down. They finished 10th, 17th, then 21st. On the last day of the season, Middlesbrough needed a draw at Cardiff to stay up, who themselves needed a win to remain in the division. A hat-trick from makeshift striker Dickie Rooks couldn't help Boro, who went down 5–3, and were relegated to the Third Division for the first time.

Recovery, success and disaster (1966–1986)

It was new manager Stan Anderson's job to return the club to the second flight. After only two wins in their first ten games, fans thought the club was already on the way down to the Fourth Division, but Anderson turned it around and the team finished second. Gordon Jones was captain, and John Hickton arrived, both of whom would go on to be second and third respectively in the club's all time appearances table.[5]

After regaining promotion to the Second Division, Boro were on good form. They wouldn't finish below ninth during the next eight seasons.[6] The FA Cup saw the club never get past the quarter-finals, a feat they were yet to accomplish in their history. John Hickton, converted from defence, was proving a revelation up front, while Willie Maddren made his debut in 1969, with John Craggs and Stuart Boam joining three seasons later. Jim Platt had also taken over in goal. With Graeme Souness joining soon after, the spine of the team to gain promotion to the First Division was there. Jack Charlton took over as manager and guided the team back to the top flight at last. They ensured promotion as early as 23 March, and with eight games of the season left, they became runaway champions, finishing with a record 65 points.[9]

Middlesbrough spent the next eight seasons in the First Division, finishing 7th in 1974–75 and were generally a mid-table side in the seasons that followed. Some believe the side lacked the necessary firepower at the time to become serious contenders. However, the club's youth system turned out talent such as David Armstrong, Graeme Souness, Stan Cummins, Craig Johnston and Mark Proctor.

Back in the top flight, the team also gained some luck in the cups, albeit still not winning anything. In 1974–75, Boro reached the sixth round of the FA Cup and the quarter finals of the League Cup. The next season, they reached the semi final of the League Cup, where they lost 4–1 on aggregate to Manchester City.[10] 1975–76 however was when Boro won their first silverware as a professional side, lifting the Anglo-Scottish Cup in its first season after a two-legged final win over Fulham.[11]

After four seasons in charge, Charlton resigned as boss[12] following three mid-table finishes, with John Neal taking over. In his first season, Boro should have reached the FA Cup semi-finals for the first time, but Second Division Leyton Orient managed to take them to a home replay and win.[10] The league form never saw the club climb out of mid-table however.[6]

After eleven years at the club, David Mills was sold for a then national record of £482,222 to West Bromwich Albion in 1979.[13] Neal left in 1981 and Bobby Murdoch took over. That same year Proctor, Johnston and Armstrong all left the club. Dutch midfielder Heini Otto was signed from FC Twente. The 1981/82 season saw Middlesbrough relegated in last place.

In February 1982, chairman Charles Amer and his son Kevin, a director, left the club to be replaced by George Kitching. That season saw Middlesbrough suffer a disappointing relegation back to the Second Division. With Murdoch still as manager, and, after appearing at the World Cup, Jim Platt as captain, led Boro into another disappointing season. In a season in which Tony Mowbray made his debut, the defence was leaking goals. Murdoch was asked to resign, Kitching stepped down to be replaced by Mike McCullagh, and Malcolm Allison became manager. The club eventually finished 16th. Platt left at the end of that season and Stephen Pears came in on loan from Manchester United.[14]

Serious financial problems were now staring Boro in the face. Allison was being pressured into off-loading star players and matters came to a head in March 1984 when he claimed it was "Better for the club to die than to linger slowly on its deathbed". This saw Allison kicked out and replaced by Willie Maddren, temporarily with some help from Jack Charlton. Middlesbrough were dropping down the table though, finishing 19th in 1984–85.

On the opening day of 1985–86, Maddren named four debutants in the team that lost 3–0 to Wimbledon, one of whom was Gary Pallister. The cups were not going well either, and Boro were getting knocked out in the early rounds with alarming regularity. McCullagh left the club and was replaced by Alf Duffield, another change in chairmanship. In 1986, Maddren left to be replaced by coach Bruce Rioch. In April the club, fighting for its existence, had to borrow £30,000 from the Professional Footballers' Association to pay wages. The final game of the season saw Boro relegated to the Third Division once more.[5]

A near death experience (1986)

On 21 May 1986, the club called in the Provisional Liquidator and shortly afterwards, the club was wound up. In August, Rioch and 29 other non-playing staff were sacked by the Official Receiver and the gates to Ayresome Park were padlocked. Some players left, while others stayed under Rioch and coach Colin Todd. Without the £350,000 capital required for Football League registration, the death of the club was announced on Tyne Tees Television, and it seemed inevitable that the club would fold permanently. However, Steve Gibson, a member of the board at the time, brought together a consortium involving Bulkhaul Limited, ICI, Scottish and Newcastle Breweries and London businessman Henry Moszkowicz. With ten minutes to spare, Middlesbrough F.C. avoided missing the deadline and completed their registration with the Football League for the 1986–87 season with both a change of crest to a circular crest with the lion in the middle and the words "Middlesbrough Football Club 1986" around the circle, and a change of name to Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Club (1986) Ltd. With the gates to Ayresome Park having been closed by the bailiffs, Middlesbrough were forced to play their opening game of the season at Hartlepool United's home ground, Victoria Park.[15]

Rioch revival... and more ups and downs (1986–1994)

Manager Bruce Rioch and his players pulled together after the takeover and with his young squad including Boro legends Colin Cooper, Gary Pallister and Tony Mowbray finished second in the Third Division behind A.F.C. Bournemouth to win automatic promotion to the Second Division. A year later they won the Second Division promotion/First Division relegation playoffs, after defeating First Division Chelsea to send them down, and achieved a second successive promotion which landed them in the First Division.

Middlesbrough showed promise in 1988–89 and fought themselves to a mid-table place, but a form slump in the second half of the season culminated in relegation on the final day- they had not occupied a relegation place that season before then. Gary Pallister was sold to Manchester United for a then national record transfer fee of £2.3 million.[16] Their dismal form continued into the following season and a second successive relegation looked on the cards. Rioch was subsequently dismissed in March 1990 and his successor Colin Todd just managed to save Boro from the drop. The same season saw Middlesbrough play in their first Wembley cup final, suffering a 1–0 defeat to Chelsea in the Zenith Data Systems Cup. The team was led out at Wembley by an unfit Tony Mowbray.

1990–91 saw Boro's form improve substantially and a seventh-place finish was enough to qualify for the playoffs – this time four promotion places were up for grabs because the First Division was re-expanding to 22 clubs for the 1991–92 season. But the promotion dream was ended in the semi-finals when Boro lost to eventual playoff winners Notts County. Todd left soon afterwards and was succeeded by Charlton's Lennie Lawrence.

Lawrence's first season at the helm was a success, with Boro reaching the League Cup semi finals for the second time and most significantly finishing runners-up in the Second Division – booking their place in the inaugural Premier League.

Boro were mid table in the Premiership come Christmas 1992, but a run of seven defeats beginning in February dragged them down the table and they were relegated after losing their penultimate game of the season. The board kept faith in Lawrence but he resigned a year later after failing to achieve promotion back to the Premiership.

Robson revolution (1994–2001)

Lawrence's successor was 37-year-old player-manager Bryan Robson, who had just ended an illustrious 13-year playing career with Manchester United F.C. and was a former England captain. With assistant manager Viv Anderson, Boro spent big and brought in players like club record signing at the time Neil Cox[17] for £1 million, club captain Nigel Pearson and Norwegian striker Jan Åge Fjørtoft. His first season was a great success and Boro lifted the Division One title and getting promoted back to the Premiership after a two-year exile. A large part in the promotion push was played by a good loan signing in the form of Uwe Fuchs, scoring 9 goals in 13 league games. 1994–95 was the club's last season at Ayresome Park, from which they were relocating after 92 years to their new home at the Riverside Stadium on the banks of the River Tees.

Boro went on a massive spending spree after their promotion to the Premiership, paying £5.25million for 21-year-old Tottenham Hotspur F.C. winger Nick Barmby and £4.75million for 22-year-old Brazilian midfielder Juninho Paulista. The policy looked to have paid off as Boro stood fourth in the Premiership in October, but a terrible run of form followed and they slid to 12th place in the final table. Boro's dismal away form – just 8 goals in 19 games – also helped end their dreams of European football.

Robson paid £7 million for Juventus striker Fabrizio Ravanelli and £4 million for Brazilian midfielder Emerson for the following season, but Boro spent the season battling relegation instead of chasing a top-five finish. Their difficult task was compounded by a deduction of three points imposed just after Christmas, as punishment for the club's failure to fulfill a fixture against Blackburn Rovers F.C..[18] The club's explanation was that so many squad members had been hit by a flu virus that it could not field a competitive team; however the Football Association rejected this explanation despite allegedly encouraging the team to do this in the first place.[19]

Meanwhile, Boro were building up an impressive cup run and reached the first senior cup final of their history in March, where they faced Leicester City F.C. in the League Cup. The deadlock was not broken until extra time, when Fabrizio Ravanelli's goal looked to have secured the trophy for Boro. But Leicester then scored an equaliser and went on to win the replay, through a goal from Steve Claridge.

Boro's three point deduction eventually cost them their Premiership status and they were relegated on the final day of the season after a draw at Elland Road. A week later they lost 2–0 to Chelsea F.C. in the FA Cup final and became the first English club to lose both major cup finals and be relegated from the top division in the same season. Despite these setbacks, Juninho still managed to finish as runner-up in the Footballer of the Year award to Gianfranco Zola.[20]

The board kept faith in Robson and they were rewarded with promotion back to the Premiership as Division One runners-up the following season. While Emerson, Ravanelli and Juninho were all sold, new players such as Paul Merson, Marco Branca and Mark Schwarzer were brought in, helping the club not only gain promotion at the first attempt. Such was Merson's form that he was the only player from outside the top flight to be picked for England's World Cup 98 squad that year.[21] Amazingly, Boro reached the League Cup final for the second consecutive year, unfortunately once again losing to their opponents, Chelsea, 2–0 after extra time.

During this period, Robson also acted as a coach to the England team under Terry Venables. Two more secure mid-table finishes followed, but Boro found themselves battling relegation come the 2000–01 season. Venables was appointed to work alongside Robson and they comfortably avoided the drop.

Reaching new heights under McClaren (2001–2006)

In the 2001 close season, Robson left the club by mutual agreement and was replaced by Steve McClaren – the Manchester United assistant manager who was regarded as one of the finest coaches in Europe and was also one of the most prominent coaches in the England team. Players such as Franck Queudrue, Mark Wilson, Jonathan Greening[22] and £6 million signing Gareth Southgate were brought in to refresh the squad and blended with promising youth players such as Luke Wilkshire and Robbie Stockdale. His first season saw Boro finish 12th in the Premiership and reach the FA Cup semi finals.

The 2002–03 season held high hopes. After the promise shown in the previous season, fan favourite Juninho returned to the club for a third spell alongside George Boateng and Massimo Maccarone, an £8.15 million signing from Empoli and Italy's first player to be capped having never played in Serie A,[23] was brought in to increase the firepower available to McClaren. Geremi from Real Madrid was also signed in on loan. Pre-season results were encouraging, but a cruciate ligament injury to Juninho just before the start of the season was a massive setback for the club.[24] An 11th-place finish followed, a marginal improvement on the previous season's finish but slightly disappointing considering Middlesbrough's early season form suggested that they could qualify for Europe.

The following season, 2003–04, saw Middlesbrough win their first major trophy. While Geremi opted to sign for Chelsea, Boudewijn Zenden, Danny Mills, and Gaizka Mendieta were brought in on loan to boost the squad. Success was to follow as they finally won a major trophy after beating Bolton Wanderers 2–1 in the League Cup final. This success also ensured that Boro would qualify for Europe – the UEFA Cup – for the first time. The season ended on a disappointing note as they were convincingly beaten 5–1 by Portsmouth on the final day to end a disappointing league campaign. They finished 11th but had been inconsistent with victories against Manchester United at Old Trafford a 5–3 thriller at home to Birmingham City and a 3–0 thrashing of Leeds United at Elland Road followed by defeats by Leeds at home & wolves away (both were relegated this season), Four consecutive premiership games without scoring at home, and 4–0 and 4–1 thrashings by Arsenal (who went undefeated throughout the league season) proved to be a disappointment – but qualification for Europe by winning the League Cup more than made up for this.

The following season started very well, hovering around the top six until November, but a horrendous number of injuries almost sucked them into mid-table and out of the UEFA-cup qualifying places. UEFA cup qualification was eventually achieved after a 1–1 draw with Manchester City F.C. at the City of Manchester Stadium. If City had won then they would have qualified in Boro's place, and they almost made it when they were awarded a penalty kick in the final minute, but Mark Schwarzer saved Robbie Fowler's spot kick. In their inaugural UEFA Cup run, Middlesbrough performed brightly but were eventually knocked out in the fourth round by Sporting Lisbon.

2005–06 was a mixed season for Middlesbrough. They found an ability to beat the big teams at the Riverside beating Arsenal 2–1 and thrashing Manchester United 4–1. However dismal mid-season form saw them sucked into the bottom half of the Premiership, and at one stage they looked in real danger of being relegated (notably after their 7–0 loss to Arsenal), although a subsequent recovery — which included a 3–0 win over eventual champions Chelsea — saw them finish fourteenth. In McClaren's last Premiership game against Fulham, Steve picked an all English 16 with 15 of the players (except Malcolm Christie) coming from the local area and the average age of the team was less than 20 making it the youngest ever Premiership side.[25] Lee Cattermole was the captain for that match making himself Middlesbrough's youngest ever captain of the first team. To complete the set the team was the first all English starting line-up since Bradford City's in 1999 and the first all English matchday squad since Aston Villa's in 1998 to play in the Premiership.[26] On 27 April 2006, Middlesbrough reached the UEFA Cup final in Eindhoven, with a victory over FC Steaua Bucureşti 4–3 on aggregate in stunning fashion, being 3–0 down on aggregate after 25 minutes of the second leg. This was the second time in the competition that 'Boro found themselves 3–0 down after 25 mins of the return leg and yet still going through as they beat FC Basel 4–3 in the Quarter Finals. Boro fans watched from the stands as their Middlesbrough team lost 4–0 in the final to Sevilla FC. Trailing Sevilla 0–1 at the break, McClaren opted for a very attacking line-up for the second half with four strikers, which had worked to great effect in the quarter and semi-finals. Nevertheless, Middlesbrough were forced to push on in desperate search of an equaliser. Whilst playing in European matches, a popular chant amongst Middlesbrough fans was "We're just a small town in Europe".[27]

Southgate, relegation and life in the football league (2006 – 2010)

On 4 May, McClaren was chosen to take over as the manager of the England national team after the 2006 World Cup. Martin O'Neill, Tony Mowbray and Alan Curbishley had been linked with the manager's job at Middlesbrough, with Steve Gibson expecting whoever took over to achieve a Champions League place in the near future.[28] [29] Gibson then looked within his own club and decided to make club captain Gareth Southgate the next manager of Middlesbrough F.C. Southgate signed a five-year contract and decided to finish his playing career, at the age of 35, to focus entirely on his new job. This made him the second youngest manager in the Premiership at the time. His appointment was controversial as he does not currently possess the coaching qualifications required to manage a Premiership football club. However, at a Premier League meeting on 22 November 2006, Southgate was granted a dispensation to continue in his role until the end of the season, during which time it was announced that he will study for the Uefa Pro A Licence.[30]

George Boateng was appointed captain. Several players, including Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Franck Queudrue and Doriva left the club in the summer while left sided Argentine Julio Arca was signed from local rivals Sunderland A.F.C. for a fee of £1.75m, and young Frenchman Hérold Goulon from Olympique Lyonnais on a three-year deal.

Southgate's competitive debut started with a 3–2 defeat to newly promoted Reading. After a 4–0 loss against Portsmouth, Southgate signed two international defenders to strengthen up his backline. England international Jonathan Woodgate joined his home-town team on loan from Real Madrid, Chelsea's German international centreback Robert Huth, and Charlton Athletic's Jamaican international striker Jason Euell were all signed in the closing days of the transfer window.

First Team coach Steve Round left the club on 15 December 2006 following a "difference in philosophy and ideas" with Gareth Southgate, and was replaced by Colin Cooper.[1]

Lee Dong-Gook arrived from Pohang Steelers in the January transfer window, while Ray Parlour, Ugo Ehiogu and Massimo Maccarone all left the club for free.

Middlesbrough's form in 2006–07 was indifferent. Positive results such as a surprising home victory over reigning Premier League Champions Chelsea were coupled with the team losing away from home to all three newly promoted Premiership sides this season. Indeed, they registered their first away win of the season at struggling Charlton in mid-January, their first away win since April of the year before. They comprehensively beat Bolton Wanderers 5–1 at home in January, their biggest victory of the season. Middlesbrough eventually finished twelfth in league on 46 points, with the fact that they were 8 points away from a UEFA Cup spot and 8 points away from getting relegated neatly summing up their season.

In the cups, Boro suffered an embarrassing home defeat in the League Cup to Football League Two side Notts County in the second round. Their FA Cup run was decidedly longer, although this was partly due to them being taken to a replay in every round they played.[31] Middlesbrough were eventually knocked out by Premier League champions-elect and eventual Cup finalists, Manchester United at Old Trafford after a narrow 1–0 defeat in their quarter-final replay.

2007–08 has been similarly uninspiring. Middlesbrough have never been in the hunt for European qualification (their last hope of a UEFA Cup place disappearing when they were eliminated from the FA Cup in the quarter-finals by championship side Cardiff City) and indeed have spent almost all of the season in the bottom half of the table. With two games remaining, they occupy 15th place and are four points clear of the relegation zone, needing only a win in their penultimate game of the Premier League season to confirm their survival. [2]

In the 2008/09 season, despite a positive start to the campaign, Middlesbrough were relegated in abject fashion.

In the Championship, despite a home win versus Derby County taking the team second in the table, Gareth Southgate was sacked.

Honors
Domestic
  • Division Two/Division One/Championship: Winners (4): 1926–27, 1928–29, 1973–74, 1994–95
    Northern League: Winners (3): 1893–94, 1894–95, 1896–97
    League Cup: Winners (1): 2003–04
    FA Amateur Cup: Winners (2): 1895, 1898
International
  • Anglo-Scottish Cup: Winners (1): 1976
    Kirin Cup: Winners (1): 1980
Last edited by Caesar on 28 Oct 2019, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 18 Oct 2019, 04:03

SEASON RECAPS
Season One - 2019/20
League: EFL Championship (England)
Final Position: 9th
Final Record: 46 games played | 23W-12D-11L | 67GF-47GA-20GD | 81 points
Qualification: N/A
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Eliminated in Sixth Round | Carabao Cup - Eliminated in Second Round
European Cup: N/A
Season Record: 52 games played | 27W-12D-13L | 72GF-53GA-19GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Britt Assombalonga, 19 goals
Team Assist Leader: CM George Saville, 8 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Darren Randolph, 16 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: CDM Paddy McNair, 6 yellow cards

Transfer History
Purchased
GK Oscar Linner
Former Club: AIK Fotboll (Sweden)
Fee: £1 million

CB Miles Robinson
Former Club: Atlanta United (United States)
Fee: £950,000

RM Emmanuel Sabbi
Former Club: Hobro IK (Denmark)
Fee: £1.7 million

CDM Ryan Leonard
Former Club: Millwall (England)

Sold
None

Season Two - 2020/21
League: EFL Championship (England)
Final Position: 2nd
Final Record: 46 games played | 33W-11D-2L | 80GF-23GA-57GD | 110 points
Qualification: Promotion to the English Premier League
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Eliminated in Third Round Replay | Carabao Cup - Eliminated in Fourth Round
Season Record: 52 games played | 36W-12-D-4L | 86GF-31GA-55GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Britt Assombalonga, 28 goals
Team Assist Leader: CM George Saville, 10 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Oscar Linner, 20 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: LB Marc Bola, 5 yellow cards

Transfer History
Purchased
CB Tom Flanagan
Former Club: Sunderland (England)
Fee: Free Transfer

CB Chey Dunkley
Former Club: Wigan Athletic (England)

CM Kristoffer Zachariassen
Former Club: Sarpsborg 08 FF (Norway)

ST Devante Cole

RB Nathan Byrne
Fee: £1.4 million

CAM Sean Clare
Former Club: Hearts of Midlothian (Scotland)
Fee: £3 million

CM Josh Vela
Former Club: Hibernian (Scotland)
Fee: £975,000

RW Elba Rashani
Former Club: Odds (Norway)
Fee: £1.25 million

Sold
CB Daniel Ayala
New Club: PSV Eindhoven (The Netherlands)

CB Ryan Shotton
New Club: EA Guingamp (France)

CM Jonny Howson
New Club: FC Kobenhavn (Denmark)

CM Lewis Wing
New Club: Celtic (Scotland)
Fee: £7.5 million

CM Adam Clayton
New Club: Trabzonspor (Turkey)
Fee: £1.4 million

GK Tomas Meijias
New Club: VfL Osnabruck (Germany)
Fee: £200,000

CAM Cam Ward
New Club: Club Brugge (Belgium)
Fee: £13 million

Season Three - 2021/22
League: English Premier League (England)
Final Position: 8th
Final Record: 38 games played | 18W-11D-9L | 42GF-40GA-2GD | 65 points
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Eliminated in Fourth Round Replay | Carabao Cup - Eliminated in Second Round
Season Record: 42 games played | 19W-12D-11L | 47GF-46GA-1GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 20 goals
Team Assist Leader: LW Marcus Tavernier, 6 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Oscar Linner, 16 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: CDM Ryan Leonard, 6 yellow cards

Transfer History
Purchased
GK Jamal Blackman
Former Club: Chelsea (England)
Fee: £1.25 million

LB Blas Riveros
Former Club: FC Basel (Switzerland)
Fee: £8.5 million

CDM Andy Rinomhota
Former Club: Reading (England)
Fee: £5 million

LM Michael Johnston
Former Club: Crystal Palace (England)
Fee: £9.8 million

ST Karlan Grant
Former Club: Huddersfield Town (England)
Fee: £9.5 million

RB Damil Dankerlui
Former Club: FC Twente (The Netherlands)

Sold
ST Rumarn Burrell
New Club: Orebro SK (Swedren)
Fee: £580,000

LW Marcus Browne
New Club: Girona (Spain)
Fee: £4.5 million

CDM Paddy McNair
New Club: Brighton and Hove Albion (England)
Fee: £5.5 million

RB Nathan Byrne
New Club: Sheffield United (England)
Fee: £1.3 million

LB Paddy Reading
New Club: Randers (Denmark)
Fee: £240,000

CDM Ben Liddle
New Club: Montreal Impact (Canada[MLS])
Fee: £430,000

Season Four - 2022/23
Final Position: 8th
Final Record: 38 games played | 22W-7D-9L | 61GF-36GA-25GD | 73 points
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Eliminated in Fourth Round Replay | Carabao Cup - Eliminated in Third Round
Season Record: 44 games played | 24W-9D-11L | 65GF-47GA-18GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 22 goals
Team Assist Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 7 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Oscar Linner, 16 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: CM Denis Will Poha, 2 yellow cards and 1 red card

Transfer History
Purchased
ST Cyril Ngonge
Former Club: Club Brugge (Belgium)
Fee: £5 million

CAM Thiago Almada
Former Club: Velez Sarsfield (Argentina)
Fee: £12.5 million

LW Tanguy Coulibaly
Former Club: Ipswich Town (England)
Fee: £3 million

CB Ben Godfrey
Former Club: SCO Angers (France)
Fee: £11 million

Sold
RW Elba Rashani
New Club: CFR Cluj (Romania)
Fee: £840,000

ST Stephen Walker
New Club: Colon (Argentina)
Fee: £1.95 million

LB Hayden Coulson
New Club: KV Kortrijk (Belgium)
Fee: £1.1 million

ST Devante Cole
New Club: Dinamo Bucaresti (Romania)
Fee: £960,000

CM Josh Vela
New Club: FC Kobenhavn (Denmark)
Fee: £1.55 million

RB Djed Spence
New Club: Admira Wacker (Austria)
Fee: £1.15 million

GK Zach Hemming
New Club: Arsenal (Argentina)
Fee: £165,000

Season Five - 2023/24
Final Position: 5th
Final Record: 38 games played| 26W-7D-5L | 86GF-29GA-57GD | 85 points
Qualification: UEFA Europa League, Group Stage
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Eliminated in Sixth Round | Carabao Cup - Champions
Season Record: 49 games played | 36W-7D-6L | 107GF-33GA-74GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 36 goals
Team Assist Leader: CAM Thiago Almada, 15 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Diogo Costa, 18 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: 3 tied, 1 red card

Transfer History
Purchased
RB Sergino Dest
Former Club: AFC Ajax (Netherlands)
Fee: £19 million

RW Felix Correia
Former Club: Manchester City (England)
Fee: £15 million

GK Diogo Costa
Former Club: Fulham (England)
Fee: £11 million

CAM Tino Anjorin
Former Club: Chelsea (England)
Fee: £2 million

CB Jorge Cuenca
Former Club: FC Barcelona (Spain)
Fee: Season-long Loan

Sold
CB Tony Flanagan
New Club: FC Basel (Switzerland)

GK Oscar Linner
New Club: RSC Anderlecht (Belgium)
Fee: £10.5 million

CAM Sean Clare
New Club: Standard Liege (Belgium)

RB Damil Dankerlui
New Club: Stoke City (England)

CB Chey Dunkley
New Club: VVV-Venlo (Netherlands)
Fee: £2 million

LW Marcus Tavernier
New Club: Villarreal (Spain)
Fee: £14 million

CM George Saville
New Club: West Ham United (England)
Fee: £7.5 million

Season Six - 2024/25
Final Position: 1st
Final Record: 38 games played | 28W-8D-2L | 84GF-16GA-68GD | 82 points
Qualification: UEFA Champions League, Group Stage
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Champions | Carabao Cup - Champions
European Cup: UEFA Europa League - Champions
Season Record: 66 games played | 54W-9D-3L | 161GF-33GA-128GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 49 goals
Team Assist Leader: CAM Thiago Almada, 22 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Diogo Costa, 30 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: CDM Andy Rinomhota, 6 yellow cards

Transfer History
Purchased
CDM Florentino
Former Club: SS Lazio (Italy)
Fee: £37 million

CM Dru Yearwood
Former Club: Watford (England)
Fee: £11.5 million

LW Francis Amuzu
Former Club: RSC Anderlecht (Belgium)
Fee: £4.75 million

GK Fraser Forster
Former Club: Southampton (England)
Fee: £250,000

Sold
RB Anfernee Dijksteel
New Club: Everton (England)
Fee: £25 million

LM Lewis Jackson
New Club: Wolverhampton Wanderers (England)
Fee: £12 million

LW Tanguy Coulibaly
New Club: SL Benfica (Portugal)
Fee: £7.7 million

Season Seven - 2025/26
Final Position: 1st
Final Record: 38 games played | 36W-2D-0L | 101GF-10GA-91GD | 110 points
Qualification: UEFA Champions League, Group Stage
Domestic Cup: FA Cup - Champions | Carabao Cup - Champions
European Cup: UEFA Champions League - Champions
Season Record: 66 games played | 64W-2D-0L | 167GF-22GA-145GD
Team Goal Leader: ST Karlan Grant, 54 goals
Team Assist Leader: CAM Thiago Almada, 27 assists
Team Clean Sheet Leader: GK Diogo Costa, 42 clean sheets
Team Worst Discipline: CDM Florentino, 4 yellow cards

Transfer History
Purchased
LW Callum Hudson-Odoi
Former Club: Everton (England)
Fee: £65 million

CDM Sander Berge
Former Club: Arsenal (England)
Fee: £55 million

LB Josh Earl
Former Club: Leganes (Spain)
Fee: £4.5 million

RW Gaizka Larrazabal
Former Club: Athletic Bilbao (Spain)
Fee: £3.2 million

CM Majeed Ashimeru
Former Club: Red Bull Salzburg (Austria)

Sold
RM Emmanuel Sabbi
New Club: Olympique Marseille (France)
Fee: £17.8 million

ST Declan Harrison
New Club: BC Atalanta (Italy)
Fee: £12 million

CM Kristoffer Zachriassen
New Club: FC Utrecht (Netherlands)
Fee: £10 million

LB Marc Bola
New Club: Stade Rennais (France)
Fee: £8 million

CM Denis Will Poha
New Club: Sassuolo (Italy)
Fee: £6.6 million
Last edited by Caesar on 30 May 2020, 05:34, edited 9 times in total.

Topic author
Caesar

RECORD BOOK
Honors
Domestic
League
Football League Second Division / Football League Division One: Champions 1926–27, 1928–29, 1973–74, 1994–95; runners up 1901–02, 1991–92, 1997–98, 2015–16
Football League Third Division: Runners up 1966–67, 1986–87
Northern League: Champions 1893–94, 1894–95, 1896–97; runners up 1890–91, 1891–92, 1897–98

Cup
League Cup: Winners 2003-04; runners up 1996-97, 1997-98
FA Cup:Runners up 1996-97
FA Amateur Cup Winners 1894–95, 1897–98
Zenith Data Systems Cup: Runners up 1990

International
UEFA Cup: Runners up 2005–06
Anglo-Scottish Cup: Winners 1975
Kirin Cup: Winners 1980

Player Records
Appearances
All-Time Appearances Top 10
1. Tim Williamson (1902-1923): 602
2. Gordon Jones (1960-1973): 527
3. John Hickton (1966-1977): 473
4. John Craggs: 488
5. Jim Platt: 481
6. George Camsell: 453
7. Jacky Carr: 449
8. Mark Schwarzer (1997-2008): 446
9. David Armstrong: 431
10=. Tony Mowbray: 424
10=. Stephen Pears: 424

Career Mode Appearances Top 10
1. Dael Fry: 292
2. Miles Robinson: 264
3. Karlan Grant: 224
4. Emmanuel Sabbi: 184
5. Blas Riveros: 182
6. Kristoffer Zachariassen: 179
7. Thiago Almada: 170
8. Andy Rinomhota: 159
9=. Ryan Leonard: 154
9=. Michael Johnston: 154

Goalscorers
Most goals in a season: George Camsell (1926-1927): 63
Most League goals in a season: George Camsell (1926-1927): 59
Most goals in a single match: Karlan Grant: 7 at Southampton, September 20, 2025
Most goals in the League: George Camsell (1925-1939): 325
Most goals in the FA Cup: George Camsell (1925-1939): 20
Most goals int he League Cup: John Hickton (1966-1978): 13
Most goals in European competition: Mark Viduka (2004-2007): 8

All-Time Top Goalscorers Top 10
1. George Camsell (1925-1939): 345
2. George Elliott (1909-1925): 213
3. Brian Clough (1955-1961): 204
4. John Hickton (1966-1977): 192
5. Karlan Grant (2021- ): 181
6. Bernie Slaven (1985-1992): 146
7. Alan Peacock (1955-1964): 141
8. David Mills (1969-1985): 111
9. Wilf Mannion (1936-1954): 110
10. Billy Pease (1926-1933): 102

Career Mode Top Goalscorers Top 10
1. Karlan Grant: 181
2. Thiago Almada: 74
3. Cyril Ngonge: 57
4. Britt Assombalonga: 48
5. George Saville: 33
6. Emmanuel Sabbi: 31
7. Michael Johnston: 27
8. Liam Kelly: 25
9. Francis Amuzu: 25
10: Ashley Fletcher: 21

Highest Transfer Fees
Paid
1. Callum Hudson-Odoi from Everton, £65 million
2. Sander Berge from Arsenal, £55 million
3. Florentino from Lazio, £37 million
4. Sergino Dest from Ajax, £19 million
5=. Britt Assombalonga from Nottingham Forest, £15 million
5=. Felix Correia from Manchester City, £15 million
7. Afonso Alves from SC Heerenveen, £12.8 million
8. Thiago Almada from Velez Sarsfield, £12.5 million
9. Marten de Roon from Atalanta B.C., £11.75 million
10. Dru Yearwood from Watford, £11.5 million

Received
1. Anfernee Dijksteel to Everton, £25 million
2. Adama Traore to Wolverhampton Wanderers, £18 million
3. Emmanuel Sabbi to Olympique Marseille, £17.8 million
4. Ben Gibson to Burnley, £15 million
5. Marcus Tavernier to Villarreal, £14 million
6. Marten de Roon to Atalanta, £13 million
7=. Juninho Paulista to Atletico Madrid, £12 million
7=. Stewart Downing to Aston Villa, £12 million
7=. Declan Harrison to Atalanta, £12 million
7=. Lewis Jackson to Wolverhampton Wanderers, £12 million

Club Records
Wins
Record League win: 11-0 at Southampton, Premier League, September 20, 2025
Record FA Cup win: 11-0 at Scarborough, October 4, 1890
Record League Cup win: 7-0 vs Hereford United, September 18, 1996
Record European win:
Most League wins in a season: 36 in the Premier League, 2025-26
Fewest League wins in a season: 5 in the Premier League, 2016-17

Defeats
Record League defeat: 0-9 vs Blackburn Rovers, Second Division, November 6, 1954
Record FA Cup defeat: 1-8 vs Hebburn Argyle, December 12, 1896
Record League Cup defeat: 0-4 vs Manchester City, 21 January 1976
Record European defeat: 0-4 vs Sevilla, UEFA Cup, May 10, 2006
Most League defeats in a season: 27 in the First Division, 1923-24
Fewest League defeats in a season: 0 in the Premier League, 2025-26

Most points earned in a season (3 for a win): 110 points in 38 matches, Premier League, 2025-26
Fewest points earned in a season (3 for a win): 28 in 38 matches, Premier League, 2016-17
Most points earned in a season (2 for a win): 65 in 42 matches, Second Division, 1973-74
Fewest points earned in a season (2 for a win): 22 in 42 matches, First Division, 1923-24
Last edited by Caesar on 07 Jun 2020, 11:38, edited 4 times in total.

Topic author
Caesar

We Shall Be

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 18 Oct 2019, 04:25

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 18 Oct 2019, 20:32