For Honor and For Glory | UFC 4 Career Mode

This is where to post any franchises from sports not listed above.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 19 Jul 2022, 17:27

Two-time Olympic champion J.J. DuBois retires from wrestling
Jordan Stevenson -- NBC Sports Trending News Writer

J.J. DuBois retired from competitive wrestling with bang on Sunday after winning his second Olympic gold medal in what was an already illustrious career at just 26 years old.

The former Penn State grappler, who caused a seismic upset at London 2012, beating Sharif Sharifov to land Olympic gold, won 2-1 against Azerbaijan's Khetag Gazyumov to win gold at 97 kg (214lbs) after winning it in 2012 at 86 kg (190lbs).

He then announced his retirement in time-honoured fashion, taking his shoes off and leaving them in the middle of the mat along with his trademark gold chain and mouthpiece.

“I'm done. It's time to let others have a chance at winning some medals,” he said in a post-match NBC interview. “I did what I came to do, I wanted to win gold at two weight classes, something that not a lot of people can say they've done. I have nothing left to prove on this stage."

DuBois joins a short list of wrestlers to have achieved Olympic gold at different weight classes, a feat he also accomplished in his collegiate career, winning NCAA championships as a true freshman at 149lbs, 165lbs as a sophomore and 174lbs as a senior.

DuBois also holds the distinction of being the last collegiate loss for fellow Olympic gold medalist and close friend Jordan Burroughs, besting Burroughs on his way to shocking the collegiate world with his 2008 national championship run. DuBois would compete one weight class above Burroughs in the 2012 Olympics at an attempt to ensure that both of them could win a gold medal, which they did despite many pundits questioning if DuBois' was big enough for the weight class.

Afterwards, the USA Olympic freestyle champion moved up another weight class, going from 149 pounds to 214 pounds in eight years, unprecedented in high level wrestling. DuBois has spoken out publicly against weight cutting practices in wrestling and touts competing at his natural weight as one of his biggest advantages.

DuBois says he hasn't decided on what the next step in his life will be although many expect him to return to Penn State as a wrestling's coach.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 19 Jul 2022, 17:27

Let's get it.

Agent

Post by Agent » 19 Jul 2022, 18:10

I’ve been binging this game lately. Go off mane.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 19 Jul 2022, 19:03

Agent wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 18:10
I’ve been binging this game lately. Go off mane.
i was going to wait until ufc 5 but no announcement yet so we move

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 19 Jul 2022, 19:25

Former Olympic gold medalist wrestler J.J. DuBois hints at competing in MMA
Lucas Sanders -- UnderGroundMMA.com Staff Writer

Former Olympic wrestler J.J. DuBois appeared on the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast with UFC commentator Joe Rogan and teased at potentially competing in MMA following his retirement from wrestling last year.

"I definitely think I could do it at a high level," DuBois told Rogan, "I've enjoyed watching it, learning the sport, the training aspect, it all appeals to me but I've got kids so it's a matter of knowing what it takes to compete at a high level, am I willing to do that again? I don't know but it's definitely something I think I might want to explore down the line, you never know."

DuBois revealed in the two-plus hour interview with Rogan that he's been training with UFC champion Daniel Cormier at American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) in San Jose, California along with other fighters such as former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and UFC lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagomedov.

"We ran into each other at a wrestling clinic not long after [London 2012]," DuBois says of his relationship with Cormier, "We kept in contact throughout the years so once I retired, he invited me out there once and I got meet coach [Javi] Mendez and the guys at [AKA]."

DuBois says he was part of Nurmagomedov's training camp for Edson Barbosa last December as a grappling partner. DuBois currently lives in Miami and says he's also been approached by South Florida area gym American Top Team to join their stable. He's declined owner Dan Lambert's approaches so far but has accepted his invite to work out with the guys on their roster.

"I've rolled with [Tyron] Woodley, Yoel Romero, a lot of their top wrestling guys can't really get good work with other guys. They're Olympic or near Olympic level wrestlers so a guy that just wrestled in high school doesn't really give them that good look. I enjoy it and it's good for them, they get a lot out of it from what they've told me."

DuBois currently coaches at wrestling clinic's across the country.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 20 Jul 2022, 09:14

Olympic Gold Medalist J.J. DuBois Officially Signs With UFC
Sarah Davis -- Bleacher Report MMA Reporter

UFC officials confirmed to Bleacher Report during a media conference call that Olympic gold medalist J.J. DuBois has been signed under contract to the promotion. PFL and Bellator were also interested in signing DuBois despite him never fighting as a professional in the regional MMA circuit.

DuBois comes to the UFC with an extensive wrestling background as a three-time D1 NCAA champion and a two-time Olympic gold medalist. DuBois amassed a 6-0 amateur record in MMA since 2019, fighting out of the legendary AKA gym in San Jose, California.

DuBois won gold at 190 pounds and 214 pounds in wrestling and has fought exclusively at 185 pounds as an amateur but during the media conference call, UFC officials confirmed that DuBois had been signed to compete in their welterweight (170lbs) division.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 20 Jul 2022, 09:56

DuBois to debut in UFC 253 against DWCS alum Andre Fernandes
mmafighting.com

Former Olympic gold medalist J.J. DuBois will be making his professional MMA debut against Andre Fernandes on September 26, 2020 as part of the undercard for UFC 253: Adesanya vs. Costa.

Fernandes, 24, fought Michel Oliveira last year as part of Dana White's Contender Series and came away with the unanimous decision, his sixth straight win to bring his career record to 22-7.

It'll be an intriguing matchup for DuBois who comes into the UFC with as much hype and anticipation as any recent signings. Dubbed 'The Black Khabib' by mentor Daniel Cormier, DuBois was 6-0 as an amateur but Fernandes' experience and background in kickboxing will be a tough test for the 30-year old.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 20 Jul 2022, 10:38

UFC 253: Israel Adesanya vs. Paulo Costa
Welterweight Bought, Undercard: Sep. 20, 2020 - T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV
Andre Fernandes (22-7) vs. J.J. DuBois (0-0)

Andre Fernandes :: Fight Stats :: J.J. DuBois
0 - Body Health Events - 0
0 - Knockdowns - 0
0 - Leg Health Events - 0
0:01 - Control - 0:41
2/10 - Total Strikes - 4/9
0 - Stunned/Wobbled - 0
1/3 - Significant Strikes - 2/3
1/1 - Takedowns - 0/0

Injuries
None

Fight Purse
Guaranteed Contract :: $13,000
Winner Cash Prize :: $13,000
Submission of the Night Bonus :: $50,000
Sponsorship Contract :: $2,000
Training Camp Cost :: $6,500
TOTAL :: $71,500

UFC Welterweight Top 15
Champion: Kamaru Usman (20-1)
1. Tyron Woodley (19-7-1)
2. Colby Covington (17-3)
3. Jorge Masvidal (35-16)
4. Leon Edwards (19-3)
5. Rafael Dos Anjos (31-13)
6. Nate Diaz (21-13)
7. Santiago Ponzinibbio (29-6)
8. Stephen Thompson (16-6-1)
9. Vicente Luque (22-8-81)
10. Demian Maia (28-11)
11. Robbie Lawler (29-16)
12. Gilbert Burns (20-5)
13. Gunnar Nelson (18-5-1)
14. Neil Magny (25-10)
15. Belal Muhammad (21-4)

UFC Champions
Strawweight (W): Zhang Weili (22-3)
Flyweight (W): Valentina Shevchenko (24-3)
Bantamweight (W): Amanda Nunes (21-5)
Flyweight: Deiveson Figueiredo (21-2-1)
Bantamweight: Petr Yan (16-3)
Featherweight: Alexander Volkanovski (25-1)
Lightweight: Khabib Nurmagomedov (29-0)
Welterweight: Kamaru Usman (20-1)
Middleweight: Israel Adesanya (24-1)
Light Heavyweight: Corey Anderson (15-5)
Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic (20-4)

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 20 Jul 2022, 10:49

J.J. DuBois hopes to 'retire racist f--k' Donald Cerrone in upcoming matchup
Bobby Symes -- Bleacher Report MMA Writer

J.J. DuBois' UFC debut lasted less than eighty seconds as Andre Fernandes, for reasons unknown, took the fight to the ground where he was promptly submitted by the two-time Olympic gold medalist.

DuBois is predicting a similar outcome with veteran UFC fighter Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone who DuBois called a racist during his appearance on the DC & Helwani show on Monday, hosted by former UFC champ champ Daniel Cormier and MMA journalist Ariel Helwani.

"[Cerrone] is a racist [expletive] so I can't wait to retire his ass," DuBois said of Cowboy, "I might choke his ass out, beat him up, take his ass down, slam him on his head, just [expletive] him up. He's been getting a pass for too long based on the stuff I've heard about him so when they offered me that fight, I jumped on it."

Fellow UFC fighter Bobby Green had accused Cerrone of racist comments and inappropriate behavior back in 2014 as well.

Topic author
Soapy

Post by Soapy » 20 Jul 2022, 11:14

Nick Diaz to replace Donald Cerrone at UFC 256 in bout against J.J. DuBois
Ariel Helwani -- ESPN.com Senior MMA Reporter

Veteran UFC fighter Donald Cerrone suffered an undisclosed injury during training camp for his scheduled fight against prospect J.J. DuBois and will be replaced by another UFC veteran in Nick Diaz.

Diaz last fought in 2015 and the 37-year old was looking to make a comeback against Robbie Lawler on the same card before Lawler had to pull out as well due to COVID-19. With both Diaz and DuBois without a fight, the UFC presented the idea to Diaz who accepted it as did DuBois.

The two will fight on the undercard of UFC 256 in what figures to be one of the more highly anticipated undercard matchups of the year between fan favorite Diaz and the Olympic gold medalist in DuBois.