Fearless in Seattle

This is where to post any franchises from sports not listed above.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 18 Dec 2018, 02:29

Seattle Unveils Jerseys and Branding as the Seattle Renegades

LOGO

June 16, 2018

Seattle, WA -- Seattle's new hockey team finally has a name and jerseys of their own, just days before the expansion and entry drafts that will give them the bulk of their initial roster.

The team announced today that they'll be known as the Seattle Renegades moving forward and also showing the team's jerseys for the 2018-2019 season. The team name was chosen from a list of 13 possible candidates, with the team ultimately deciding not to revive the name of one of the old professional hockey teams in Seattle. The team is also adopting the phrase "Fearless in Seattle" as a reference to the team's namesake as well as "the city's tendency to be fearless, especially when it comes to living boldly and making their own choices" stated Renegades general manager Kelly McCrimmon in the team's official brand announcement press conference today.

The team ultimately settled on a purple, gray and black color scheme, a unique one in the NHL today. "We wanted to stand out and really have a distinctive appearance as a team. Part of trying to break into a league of 31 other teams is trying to create an identity that makes us really stand out, and we think our choice of logo, name, and colors helps us do that." said McCrimmon. The team will wear purple at home and white on the road with a black alternative that will be worn in both road and home situations.

JERSEYS

Last edited by Chillcavern on 18 Dec 2018, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

djp73

Fearless in Seattle

Post by djp73 » 18 Dec 2018, 06:53

does the game have an expansion mode or do you have to eliminate another team?

Caesar

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Caesar » 18 Dec 2018, 10:11

It has an expansion option.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 18 Dec 2018, 11:51

Captain Canada wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 21:42
You know I'm always down for a hockey chise. Let's get it crackin' :blessed:
:blessed: glad to have you on board.
djp73 wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 06:53
does the game have an expansion mode or do you have to eliminate another team?
Caesar wrote:
18 Dec 2018, 10:11
It has an expansion option.
Basically, what Caesar said. The awkward thing here is that I have to either redraft the 2018 draft or the game basically thinks 2018 is 2019, complete with additional, fictional entry players and contracts expiring a year early, so redrafting it is! Ugh can't have an EA franchise mode without bugs.

Still, I really like that expansion is an option at all

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 19 Dec 2018, 00:41

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman made several announcements today

June 18, 2018

New York, New York -- Today the NHL released the results of the NHL draft lottery (the late addition of Seattle created chaos, delaying the league's new lottery results until a mere 5 days until the draft), the official salary cap numbers for the 2018-2019 season, and announced the new divisional scheme with the Seattle Renegades as the league's 32nd team.

The Arizona Coyotes won this edition of the NHL draft lottery, giving the franchise hope as the club was the only Western conference team not to eclipse 30 wins a season ago and there continues to be ongoing issues with their home arena of Gila River Arena. Following them are new Pacific Northwest rivals Vancouver and Seattle at numbers 2 and 3, respectively. The Canucks are hoping this pick will help them to rebuild a team that will look much different going forward with the retirement of the Sedin twins, the top 2 point scorers in franchise history, as well as the departure of franchise icon Trevor Linden from the team president role. Seattle, as an expansion squad, will be happy to begin building their young talent pool and are overjoyed to have a pick this high. Rounding out the top 5 are league-worst Buffalo after it's 3rd season in the basement in the past 5 years and Ottawa, just a year after losing in the ECF in 7. Both clubs are looking to bolster their talent pools with these high selections.

The league also finalized the details of the salary cap for the upcoming year, with a salary cap of $79.5 M and a floor of $58.5 M. In addition, the maximum player salary is $15.9 M, league minimum is $650,000 and the rookie max is $925,000

Finally, in the last announcement of the day, the league confirmed the rumor that Seattle will be playing in the Pacific division. To ensure evenly sized divisions, Arizona will be sliding over to compete in the Central division.

The results of the entire draft lottery are as follows:
  1. Arizona Coyotes
  2. Vancouver Canucks
  3. Seattle Renegades
  4. Buffalo Sabres
  5. Ottawa Senators
  6. Montreal Canadians
  7. Detroit Red Wings
  8. Chicago Blackhawks
  9. New York Rangers
  10. Edmonton Oilers
  11. New York Islanders
  12. Carolina Hurricane
  13. New York Islanders (via Calgary Flames)
  14. Dallas Stars
  15. Philadelphia Flyer (via St. Louis Blues)
Last edited by Chillcavern on 19 Dec 2018, 03:09, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 19 Dec 2018, 03:06

Renegades Expansion Draft Results

June 21st, 2018

TeamPlayerPositionAgeHeight (cm)Weight (kg)ShootsCountry
Anaheim DucksJosh MansonDefense2619196RightCanada
Arizona CoyotesFreddie HamiltonCenter2618588RightCanada
Boston BruinsPaul PostmaDefense2919188RightCanada
Buffalo SabresLinus UllmarkGoalie2419196LeftSweden
Calgary FlamesCurtis LazarRight Wing2318395RightCanada
Carolina HurricanesBrock McGinnLeft Wing2418384LeftCanada
Chicago BlackhawksJordan OesterleDefense2518382LeftUSA
Colorado AvalancheDuncan SiemensDefense2419193LeftCanada
Columbus Blue JacketsJoonas KorpisaloGoalie2419182LeftFinland
Dallas StarsTyler PitlickRight Wing2618891RightUSA
Detriot Red WingsXavier OuelletDefense2418584LeftCanada
Edmonton OilersAdam LarssonDefense2519195RightSweden
Florida PanthersAlex PetrovicDefense2619393RightCanada
Los Angeles KingsJack CampbellGoalie2619191LeftUSA
Minnesota WilidGustav OlofssonDefense2319189LeftSweden
Montreal CanadiansByron FroeseCenter2718590RightCanada
Nashville PredatorsAustin WatsonRight Wing2619392RightUSA
New Jersey DevilsMirco MuellerDefense2319195LeftSwitzerland
New York IslandersCal ClutterbuckRight Wing3018098RightCanada
New York RangersJesper FastRight Wing2618387RightSweden
Ottawa SenatorsMarian GaborikLeft Wing3618593LeftSlovakia
Philadelphia FlyersTaylor LeierLeft Wing2417879LeftCanada
Pittsburgh PenguinsJean-Sebastien DeaCenter2418079RightCanada
San Jose SharksJoel WardRight Wing37185102RightCanada
St. Louis BluesOskar SundqvistLeft Wing2419195RightSweden
Tampa Bay LightningCedric PaquetteCenter2418590LeftCanada
Toronto Maple LeafsBen SmithCenter2918090RightUSA
Vancouver CanucksBrendan GaunceLeft Wing2418898LeftCanada
Washington CapitalsDevante Smith-PellyRight Wing26183101RightCanada
Winnipeg JetsMarko DanoRight Wing2318096LeftSlovakia
Last edited by Chillcavern on 03 Jan 2019, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.

Rob
Site Admin

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Rob » 19 Dec 2018, 03:54

I know that Gaunce and Clutterbuck are both decent 3rd or 4th line guys so I think your checking line should be fine. A touch worried about where your main scoring is going to come from, although Gaborik might have a Jagr-esque late 30s period I guess. I suppose Joel Ward was a point every 2.5 games kind of guy too.

Do you know what your lines are yet?

Good luck in the draft, hopefully you get some top tier talent at 3 that can immediately make the team better.

Captain Canada

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Captain Canada » 19 Dec 2018, 14:38

Going to have a very interesting approach to this season. Like Rob said, not much of natural scoring you've got there. Marian Gaborik would have been huge if this was ten years ago. I'm excited to see how this team shapes up.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 19 Dec 2018, 20:06

Renegades Entry Draft Recap

Image Image
Left: The players selected by Seattle. Right: The Renegades and Oilers agreed to a pick swap, giving Seattle two more picks in next year's draft

June 23rd, 2018

Seattle, WA -- Today was a very exciting day for the newly minted Seattle front office, as they got their first real chance to stock the team with young talent and left with a promising group of youngsters in tow.

The biggest story of the day was who Seattle was going to take with their #3 overall pick. As expected going into the draft, Svechnikov and Dahlin went #1 and #2 to Arizona and Vancouver, leaving Seattle to select from the best of the rest. They settled on 18 year old American center Cyrus Rodriguez. Rodriguez looks to be the prototypical center, with a very well rounded game and very few weaknesses even at this young stage in his career. It will be interesting to see if he's offered an entry level contract soon - his skill set fills a hole on the team and Seattle will undoubtedly want to utilize his talents sooner rather than later as Rodriguez may already be too good to play anywhere but the NHL.

At the top of the second round, the Renegades selected 17 year old Canadian Ryan Merkley. Merkley, a projected first rounder, was ecstatic to not be left waiting much longer when the Renegades took him at the 35th overall pick. Merkley is an excellent scorer for a defenceman, having scored 67 points in 63 games for the OHL's Guelph Storm last year. At only 17, Merkley may take some more time polishing his skills in the OHL before joining the team's system, but look for the young Canadian to make the NHL squad sooner rather than later. At first glance, it looks like the Renegades got a steal here.

In the third round, the Renegades front office took a flyer on Belarusian center Viacheslav Kulikov. Kulikov, 18, is the type of gritty player that just makes the right plays. He's an extremely raw prospect, so it'll be a few years before he be reasonably expected to contribute to the NHL squad, but he has all the skills GMs covet in their centers. Kulikov is exactly the sort of prospect that helps contribute to a good stockpile of talent for the franchise and will really test the Renegades' player development program.

In the fourth round, Seattle took yet another center in Canadian Luke Henman, making clear their desire to stockpile the position. Henman is much more offensively focused, with an already-NHL ready shot. He, however, needs to work on his fundamentals and will need to bulk up, as he currently weighs in at only 66 kg. Despite his drawbacks, team scouts remain hopeful he can put it all together, especially with the resources of an NHL team behind him.

For the fifth and seventh rounds, Seattle turned their attention to adding to their talent in the goal. The Renegades selected Norweigan goalie Derrick Smithson in the fifth and American goalie Samuel Halpern in the seventh. Both were selected in an attempt to add as much talent behind the goal as possible. Both have shown flashes of brilliance up to this point, and it'll be up to them to continue developing if they want to earn spots on the NHL squad.

The team traded away its 6th round pick to Edmonton in exchange for a 6th and a 7th round pick in next year's draft. GM Kelly McCrimmon is looking to build the team for long term success, and acquiring as much young talent and draft capital as possible in the next few years seems to be his strategy. Additionally, the variety in the draft picks show that McCrimmon and co. are willing to scour the globe for the talent they want.

Draft RoundNamePositionAgeNationality
1Cyrus RodriguezCenter18USA
2Ryan MerkleyDefense17Canada
3Viacheslav KulikovCenter18Belarus
4Luke HenmanCenter18Canada
5Derrick SmithsonGoalie18Norway
7Samuel HalpernGoalie18USA
Last edited by Chillcavern on 03 Jan 2019, 15:17, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Chillcavern

Fearless in Seattle

Post by Chillcavern » 19 Dec 2018, 20:14

Rob wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 03:54
I know that Gaunce and Clutterbuck are both decent 3rd or 4th line guys so I think your checking line should be fine. A touch worried about where your main scoring is going to come from, although Gaborik might have a Jagr-esque late 30s period I guess. I suppose Joel Ward was a point every 2.5 games kind of guy too.

Do you know what your lines are yet?

Good luck in the draft, hopefully you get some top tier talent at 3 that can immediately make the team better.
I don't quite know what my lines are going to be just yet, that's gonna be something to figure out at the start here. Given how the majority of my roster is at a similar talent level, it's all going to be decided by fit, both scheme and personality-wise. Like a good chunk of the team hates Clutterbuck, for example, so that's something I'll have to wary of.

But yeah, the lack of scoring on this team is a definite worry. My leading "returning" scorer as of now is Manson :camdead:

As a kid who grew up cheering for Gaborik, I'm definitely going to feature him heavily but who knows how successful that's going to be. Most likely, he gets hurt pretty quickly
Captain Canada wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 14:38
Going to have a very interesting approach to this season. Like Rob said, not much of natural scoring you've got there. Marian Gaborik would have been huge if this was ten years ago. I'm excited to see how this team shapes up.
Yeah, this team is going to be... interesting when it comes to actually putting the puck in the net. Priority number 1 going forward is going to be finding someone to fill that role for me. Hopefully one of my young guys can have a William Karlsson-esque jump for me. As to Gaborik, I just want him to remain healthy, to be honest :drose: