Caesar's Arguably Blasphemous Sports Debate Emporium

Need a rant about one of your teams? Seen a goal that needs sharing? Was the referee a wanker? Talk all things sports here.

mvp

Post by mvp » 09 Mar 2021, 15:57

this is a good thread. missed it before.

i just think tom brady was the most prepared and had the biggest mental advantage of any player ive ever seen. similar to MJ but in a different aspect. MJ struck fear in his opponents, while brady just outsmarts his opponents with his preplay work. he just KNOWS wats going to happen on the field and stays multiple steps ahead of his opponent. i think thats the difference with him. he's got a decent arm and not much else physically, but mentally is where he is far and away the best we've seen. i think it's a testament to how hard he has to work to make up for all the lacking talent, which to me at least, makes him more impressive.

never understood why people hate him so much. he's the best underdog story we've ever seen. outside of a somewhat tall but perfectly normal stature at 6'4, he has nothing that any other average joe doesn't have. he was a 6th round pick who is unathletic... he's pure work ethic. guys like lebron are physically above everyone and non-human, but it's somehow much easier for people to root for him? ..i dont get it

overall i think brady is the best, but not the most talented by a long shot

mvp

Post by mvp » 09 Mar 2021, 16:04

Caesar wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 04:04
Point to think about: No one has ever called Bill Russell the GOAT basketball player.
just wanted to make the argument for russell not being the goat that a lot of ppl dont realize... bill russell played in an era when there were only 8 teams in the league (then 9, and then 12 by the end of his career), and 6-of-8 of them made the playoffs. this is why no one talks about him being the best. MJ and LBJ play in an era where the league was/is triple and practically quadruple the size

djp73

Post by djp73 » 09 Mar 2021, 16:15

that just means the available talent is spread much thinner now

mvp

Post by mvp » 09 Mar 2021, 16:31

djp73 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 16:15
that just means the available talent is spread much thinner now
yeah but russell is largely praised for his "winning"... thats the thing. in his era he had a 6-in-8 chance of making the playoffs. good for a 75% chance... teams now have about a 53% chance to make the playoffs. the odds were outrageously aggressive in russell's days. then, playoffs take 16 wins to win the championship. in 1963, it took half that to win the championship. the team was also stacked with other HOFers and all stars, so he didnt do it alone.

last point on bill's talent level.. he only shot 44% in his career. for a big, thats not very good. he was bigger than guys so he often missed from underneath the basket and just grabbed his own misses, rinse and repeat.

Soapy

Post by Soapy » 11 Mar 2021, 09:10

ya lucky i aint seen this

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 14 Mar 2021, 06:39

NEW ARGUABLY BLASPHEMOUS DISCUSSION

The belief that a salary cap creates parity in a sports league is bullshit. Change my mind.

In the last 30 years in the NFL, 15 teams have won a Super Bowl. Only the Colts, Saints, Redskins, Chiefs, Seahawks and Eagles only won once but if you take out the teams in that group that appeared in more than one Super Bowl in the last 30 years, that leaves you with the Saints and Redskins, and the Redskins' Super Bowl win was their fifth appearance overall.

In the last 30 years in the NBA, 11 teams have won a championship. Only the Mavericks, Celtics, Raptors and Cavs had one -- and I mean one of those teams has the joint-most NBA titles. The Warriors, Lakers, Spurs and Bulls account for 20 of the last 30 titles.

In the last 30 years in the NHL, 16 different Stanley Cup winners.

Opposed to the MLB and it's lack of a salary cap, which has seen 19 different teams win the World Series in the last 30 years.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 14 Mar 2021, 14:18

I think it forces teams to get a little more creative, but as far as creating absolute parity? Total bullshit. I'll ride with this one.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 14 Mar 2021, 18:01

It helps but garbage front offices negate it.

Chillcavern

Post by Chillcavern » 17 Mar 2021, 17:24

I’d agree and disagree with Caesar on this - it’s not the cap that forces parity but rather the approximately equal spending it forces, in my opinion.

So we’ve got all the American leagues that Caesar mentioned? Compare to soccer, which has *much* more severe financial inequality among teams in domestic leagues and thus also much less parity.

The soccer competition with the most parity is probably the Champion’s League....which is also the closest to a level financial ground soccer gets. And even there, you can see the financial disparity between the Top 5 leagues and the rest

mvp

Post by mvp » 18 Mar 2021, 11:40

agree with caesar. it was important when major markets had pull before sports went global, but markets dont matter anymore. especially in the nba