Who is your favorite athlete? Current and past.

Need a rant about one of your teams? Seen a goal that needs sharing? Was the referee a wanker? Talk all things sports here.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 25 Mar 2021, 15:57

Like it says. Top fives encouraged.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 25 Mar 2021, 19:14

Present
NHL - Sidney Crosby
NBA - Damian Lillard
NFL - Tom Brady
MLB - Bo Bichette

Past
NHL - Mario Lemieux
NBA - Kobe Bryant
NFL - Deion Sanders
MLB - Ken Griffey Jr.

Soapy

Post by Soapy » 26 Mar 2021, 08:54

Present
NBA - Dejounte Murray
NFL - Tom Brady
NCAA FB - D'Eriq King
MMA - Kamaru Usman/Dagestan
Boxing - Canelo Alvarez

Past
NBA - Tim Duncan
NFL - Michael Vick
MLB - Jose Fernandez
NCAA FB -Duke Johnson/Brad Kaaya
Soccer - Wesley Sneijder/Kaka
NCAA MBB - Shane Larkin

Stlducks

Post by Stlducks » 07 Apr 2021, 19:16

Present
NFL - Frank Gore
MLB - Adam Wainwright
Soccer - Harry Kane

Past
NBA - Steve Nash
NFL - Steve Young
MLB - Fernando Vina
NCAA FB -LaMichael James
Soccer - Kaka
NCAA MBB - Dean Oliver
Tottenham Hotspur
St. Louis Cardinals
San Fran 49ers

Agent

Post by Agent » 06 Jan 2022, 10:35

- NBA

Current:

LeBron James - To me, LeBron is the greatest basketball player ever. Also for reference, when I started watching NBA basketball it was around '05. LeBron's always been the GOAT & there's never been anyone in the modern NBA to come close to eclipsing that. I didn't get to see MJ ball out or live during that era but when I compare the two from the knowledge that's been given to me, I still would give it Bron because he gets everyone on his team involved more than Jordan did. Jordan was a better all-around scorer & probably defender on smaller guards, but overall I think LeBron gives you just a little less scoring for more rebounds & assists. Not to mention the ability to guard the 4 or even 5 depending on who it is.

Lance Stephenson - I'm a longtime pacers if you didn't already know. There wasn't much to be excited about being a Pace fan in 05. We used to get foxsports indiana so that's why I watched them play all the time. Danny Granger was my boy, as was JO. But when PG & the Pacers began to take over in the 2010's, Lance Stephenson always stuck out as that x-factor. At one time in his nba career I would've argued he was one of the best passers/playmakers on the floor. I'll never forget when he was snubbed out of an ASG for Joe Johnson. Lance was leading the NBA in triple doubles that season & felt he deserved that nod. #homer Even though my guy's in & out of the NBA anymore, he's still someone I rock with.

Kevin Porter Jr - I became curious of this guard when I first saw his rookie mixtape from the Cavs. I thought, whoa. This guy has all the tools to be the next best NBA shooting guard. Quickness & athleticism, check. Shooting & scoring ability, check. Is he a good teammate? Ehh that has yet to be determined. However when this guy fucks around & starts earning NBA accolades ie: playoff wins, allstar games; I can say I was there since early in his career.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander - I'm a UK wildats fan & this is my current favorite Wildcat in the NBA. After him I'd probably go Hami Diallo (personal preference because I love dunkers). Anthony Davis, Devin Booker, Karl-Anthony Towns, etc. The list could go on. I prefer Shai. I think he's going to be a superstar someday.

Past:

Dwyane Wade - Had to be there. If you like LeBron you gotta like Wade.

Kobe Bryant - Just to get it on record. I spent Kobe's entire career for the most part as a hater. It wasn't because I thought he sucked or didn't deserve the recognition he got. Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Dwyane Wade. Those 3 to me are the top 3 greatest SG's of all time. Kobe was just always that guy you knew was going to make it. I love the highlights. He's incredible. I just wanted to see him lose during his prime but guess what. He also shut me up along the way. :shrug: Rip KB24.

OJ Mayo - One of my favorite scorers of all time.

--

MMA

Current:

Islam Makachev - This is my guy right now in the UFC. When I started getting into the sport, I wasn't a big submissions guy. I'm a fan of the knockout just like everybody else, but this guy is ready to snap a mf's shit at any moment. Love seeing this guy get to to work on the ground. Can't wait till he's champ.

Jon Jones - I distance myself from this guy on a personal level. I don't agree with his decision making. But daaaaaaaaaamn is he fun to watch in the UFC :baze: Him & DC trashtalk is GOAT

mvp

Post by mvp » 06 Jan 2022, 15:53

Agent wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 10:35
Kobe Bryant - Just to get it on record. I spent Kobe's entire career for the most part as a hater.
I did this too. Him, Jeter, and Bron (last few seasons I've started to come around since we're not sure how many seasons he has left and I don't want to take his greatness for granted). The NBA without those guys that you can "hate" seems a lot more boring to me. Having that Heat team to root against was wild... probably my favorite stretch of basketball was from like 2007-08 to the 2017-18 season where you had Kobe killing it and then the Heat formed, and finally those Warriors-Rockets matchups, always rooting against James Harden. It just felt different.

I'm looking forward to the next great superstar that becomes a villain because the NBA is full of nice guys now worried about personal branding.

Agent

Post by Agent » 06 Jan 2022, 17:18

That’s a good point. I’ve never thought of the modern NBA like that. I used to hate Golden State but their fall-off was so long that I actually kinda wanna see them do good now. Curry’s the last of a dying breed.

Caesar

Post by Caesar » 06 Jan 2022, 18:05

What is considered "past?" Just someone who has retired?

Agent

Post by Agent » 06 Jan 2022, 22:57

Caesar wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 18:05
What is considered "past?" Just someone who has retired?
that’s what I went by.