Kevin Durant’s legacy

Need a rant about one of your teams? Seen a goal that needs sharing? Was the referee a wanker? Talk all things sports here.

Topic author
Agent

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Agent » 28 Feb 2023, 18:39

Right now it seems that the media & some of the older players like Charles Barkley aren’t ready to give KD his flowers he thinks he deserves until he shows them he can win “on his own” or be the “bus driver” of the team.
Saying things like he joined a 73-9 team to win a chip.. joined a super team in Brooklyn, & now he’s joining up with CP3 & Book.

How do you guys feel about this? I love the durantula. I just wish he could stay healthy & don’t really feel like he has anything to ‘prove’.

Captain Canada

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Captain Canada » 28 Feb 2023, 20:51

Without any stats to back up my opinion, my initial thought of KD is that he's an incredible, legendary player. His legacy as a champion, specifically, ain't it for me.

Topic author
Agent

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Agent » 28 Feb 2023, 23:08

Captain Canada wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:51
Without any stats to back up my opinion, my initial thought of KD is that he's an incredible, legendary player. His legacy as a champion, specifically, ain't it for me.
Do you think he took the easy road? I mean.. technically he did if you think about adding someone of his status to a 73-9 team :lol2:

djp73

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by djp73 » 01 Mar 2023, 07:32

I don't think championships are the be all end all for a legacy. He had some incredible games in the Warriors title runs. I do think that sometimes the championships carry more weight when its "your" team, but that ain't the game these days. If he had won one in OKC with Harden and Westbrook that's not much different.

Topic author
Agent

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Agent » 01 Mar 2023, 09:04

djp73 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 07:32
I don't think championships are the be all end all for a legacy. He had some incredible games in the Warriors title runs. I do think that sometimes the championships carry more weight when its "your" team, but that ain't the game these days. If he had won one in OKC with Harden and Westbrook that's not much different.
I guess the only difference in OKC is that they could say that team was home grown as opposed to formed because for some fans that detail matters. I remember that narrative back then as well.. That Russ was the leader in OKC for all of those years.

When you talk NBA GOAT (MJ, LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, etc), then does it matter if you were the leader & also the best player of the team? For instance, Kobe doing it without one of the most dominant big men ever in Shaq (no diss to Gasol either but he's not Shaq :drose:) helps push him up to the top towards GOAT status. Does KD need to win one without his name tied to Steph Curry for him to have his name put in that same company? I guess him doing it in PHX is different because this Suns team isn't exactly winning it all with or without him. It's with him or not at all. If KD isn't healthy in the playoffs, they're getting bounced in the first round of the West.

mvp

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by mvp » 01 Mar 2023, 10:14

imo KD is one of the best pure scorers of all time... the thing thats different with him is his ability to score within the natural flow of the offense and he doesnt need an iso to be the superstar he is, like many others do.

i dont think there are many, if any, superstars of his caliber that can fit into any team coherently (he's almost like a role player the way he fits in anywhere) and be as effective as he is with the offense focused on him or focused on someone else. that said, i think purely basketball-speaking, one of the best ever... but doesnt have the "alpha leader" personality that typically goes with the GOAT talk. which is odd for such a premier scorer i think.

love him. one of my all time favorites to watch play.

Topic author
Agent

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Agent » 01 Mar 2023, 10:20

I really like that role player comparison. He doesn’t want to be the main guy, but he has no problem being a 30+ threat every single night. Greatest role player ever :lol2:

mvp

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by mvp » 01 Mar 2023, 10:37

Agent wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 10:20
I really like that role player comparison. He doesn’t want to be the main guy, but he has no problem being a 30+ threat every single night. Greatest role player ever :lol2:
:lol: wish he teamed up with cp3 earlier in his career or like a rondo type that didn't steal shots from him

Soapy

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Soapy » 01 Mar 2023, 11:01

He's a great player, a generational talent. just not in that Jordan/Kareem/Wilt/Magic/LeBron/etc.. conversation, just one level below with the Wade and Melos.

Caesar

Kevin Durant’s legacy

Post by Caesar » 04 Mar 2023, 09:12

The whole LeGM trope has distorted how people viewing players leaving franchises. Players have two options to influence their ability to win a championship: leave to go somewhere else or take a pay cut and hope the front office puts together a championship contender.

Kevin Durant is a Hall of Famer. End of. Him joining a championship-ready team is irrelevant. He wasn’t signing the players in Oklahoma City. That’s not to mention that in the current NBA, teams give it about six months before they blow it up and start tanking for seasons on end so when you say he’s joining the Suns now — he was traded. The Nets blew up their entire team. He wasn’t the one who decided to trade the farm for Ben Simmons, ya know.