Wrestlemania 40

Need a rant about one of your teams? Seen a goal that needs sharing? Was the referee a wanker? Talk all things sports here.

Topic author
theICON562

Wrestlemania 40

Post by theICON562 » 11 Apr 2024, 05:10

I'm curious to hear others takes on Wrestlemania 40 that took place this past weekend. DId you like it? Hate it? How do you feel about the current talent roster going forward?

On Night One, for me, the Sami Zayn vs. Gunther match was the highlight of the night. To me it was setup to be a nod to Rocky 4 in a way with Gunther playing the Drago part.

The tag team main event really felt like a nod back to the 80's and early 90's when you had pretty long matches that told a great story. The Rock looked in tremendous shape and looked as if he hadn't lost a step for a guy who hadn't wrestled in almost a decade.

On Night Two, Cody Rhodes finishing the story was the absolute right call. The finish was something I was expecting, but the way I had it in my mind didn't involve the surprise appearances. What I had in my mind was at some point Solo and Jimmy would make their way down to the ring and two guys in black hoodies would hop over the rail and stand in front of the ring blocking Solo and Jimmy. The guys in the black hoodies are revealed to be Sami and Jey and from behind coming down the ramp would be Orton, Owens and Knight all those 5 would take out Solo and Jimmy (all 5 of those guys have challenged Roman over his reign and all were screwed) and because Cody is a big Avengers guy this would've been his Avengers taking out the Bloodline, leaving only him, Roman (and The Rock) who has made his way down the ramp left. The Rock gets involved when the glass "shatters" and here comes Stone Cold down to the ring walking and talking trash and him and Rock go face to face and Stone Cold gives him a stunner which would set up Cody hitting his finisher on Reigns and getting the 1-2-3.

I'm not sure if originally Stone Cold was to be a part of that ending, if he wasn't The Undertaker was the next obvious choice from the Attitude Era.

Lot of stories now to be told going forward. With the eventual draft coming up and guys switching brands looks like its going to be an interesting 2024.

Any matches or programs anybody is excited for or would like to see?
CoachGreg

djp73

Wrestlemania 40

Post by djp73 » 11 Apr 2024, 14:11

Surprised @xixak and @agent haven't weighed in?

Agent

Wrestlemania 40

Post by Agent » 11 Apr 2024, 19:32

I thought WM 40 was really good. I wasn't too happy to see Roman Reign's title run end but it is what it is :shrug:

Drew McIntyre was hilarious when he tweeted "Bored at work LOL" before losing the belt :tinydead:

Topic author
theICON562

Wrestlemania 40

Post by theICON562 » 11 Apr 2024, 22:42

If Roman had won it wouldn't have surprised me because they so badly want to eclipse Hogans record so that they don't have to mention him. I'm not sure if the crowd would've continued to support and be behind Cody as much as they have been if he had lost two years in a row. "IF" Roman had won they would've had to get Cody into the Money in the Bank match and he would've had to win and cash it in September when they are going to be at Madison Square Garden (I think by that date Roman would've passed Hogan and it would've been the true way to finish the story, having Cody win the title in the same arena that his father held that belt over his head even though he won by countout) ... That's the only thing I could've seen happening had Roman won last weekend.

Here was the number that suprised me ... 31. 31 title defense for Roman in the last 4 years.

And with the A&E biography that came out on Roman they are setting him up for a huge babyface run when he comes back.
CoachGreg

Agent

Wrestlemania 40

Post by Agent » 11 Apr 2024, 22:48

The way I wanted Roman to end his run was to just lay the belt down in the ring one random day & look to Paul Heyman "WISE MAN. THERE'S NO ONE LEFT." & ride off in the distance for a while but I don't blame WWE for using the opportunity to get Cody Rhodes over.

Baby face Roman sounds good. They forced it for years when he was with the shield & prior that he only got boo'd till he leaned into it.

It was a great WM though. I loved it. It has replay value for sure. The Undertaker coming out & Cena I think don't really have anything worth revisiting. They just wanted to keep the crowd surprised.