Football Strategy

Here you can put any resources or helpful links you think would be useful for members.

Topic author
James

Football Strategy

Post by James » 12 Jan 2019, 22:11

Chillcavern wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 21:19
Air raid chise Soapy pls pls

But for real I’ve always kinda been confused but intrigued by the air raid.
It's like every other offense. Except short passes, like CMR bubbles instead of running.

I played high school ball under an air raid offense I like it. I just am bad at passing in games. There was a reason I didn't play quarterback in high school. Other than being a midget like Soapy.

KimJongBaze

Football Strategy

Post by KimJongBaze » 13 Jan 2019, 08:55

Soapy wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 19:15
nashuga thought me how to run the air raid.

i was going to do an ncaa chise and show out the air raid but baze let me down.
WOW THROWN UNDER THE BUS!

Soapy

Football Strategy

Post by Soapy » 13 Jan 2019, 11:46

Baze wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 08:55
Soapy wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 19:15
nashuga thought me how to run the air raid.

i was going to do an ncaa chise and show out the air raid but baze let me down.
WOW THROWN UNDER THE BUS!
gots to let the people know.

24K. would have been a goat chise too

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 13 Jan 2019, 13:07

Most of my posts will center around NCAA 14 but a lot of it will apply to both games.

SCOUTING
I like to look over an upcoming opponents roster coming into the game.

Some key things I look for are as follows:
Is the QB a runner or no? This is a big key to my defensive game plan.
Do they have a speed RB or power? Two they use that are different styles? This is key to get the right personnel on defense.
Do they have one receiver that stands out or are they deep? Any big time speed guys? This helps determine coverages.
Is their TE a deep threat or a plodder? Also helps determine personnel and coverages.
Does the offensive line have any glaring weaknesses? You'll want to attack that weakness with your pass rush.

When scouting their defense I'm basically looking for really good or really bad players. How are the linebackers in coverage? Who is their slowest or weakest corner? How is the interior of their defensive line? Are their ends fast? All of this allows me to make an offensive game plan.

STRATEGY
Let's talk offensive basics first.

Personnel. Obviously the best thing you can do is adjust your game plan to your players. I love to be a run first balanced offense guy. Do you have the OL to be run heavy? Do you have a good RB? Are you RB by committee with different skill sets? Is your QB a running threat? Are your WRs the best players on your team? If so you need to get them touches.

If I have the QB for it I like to use a good amount of read option. I usually don't run a pitch option unless I have a QB with at least mid 80s speed.

When you run the read option make your read quickly. If you're running an option that sends the RB up the middle and the QB outside watch out for a DE crashing down to make you keep then an OLB looping outside to get the QB for a loss. If you see that look before the snap an audible may be the best bet or hand off on the option. The RB will usually get back to the line or close while the LB can drop the QB for a pretty good loss if you keep.

As far as the conventional running game goes play to your strengths. Up the middle or off tackle if you have a power back and a line that can get a push. Outside if you have the RB speed for it and an OT or TE that can seal the edge. If you have the personnel to do both with a star RB or two different ones then mix it up.

If you have a burner at WR don't be afraid to use some jet sweeps.

Screens work if you have the speed for them. WR and RB both.

Passing. I love the intermediate passing game. Slants and posts work great depending on the coverage. Outs are tough if you don't have the talent. Read the coverage quick and get the ball out and let your receivers make plays. If you have a good receiving back get him involved. A good receiving TE is huge in this game. If you have one use him. A post into the middle if the linebackers come up and the safeties go outside is easy money if you have a good TE.

Deep passing. Use the matchups. When you scouted earlier you should pick out a CB to attack deep when needed. If you can figure out that CBs spot you can mix personnel to get your deep guy matched up on him. I like to take a shot on 2nd and short or 3rd and short if I'm in 4 down territory. If you get a matchup you like and they're playing tight man hot route that guy to a fly. At the snap read the safeties. If one of them drops to help that corner forget the deep ball. Check it down. If the safety stays home or comes up let it fly.

If the slow/weak corner is off your speed WR use the slant. Snap and get it out. If you have other receivers clearing out and you have time you can wait for the slant to clear the middle of the field and get him the ball on the edge.

Stick with your game plan unless you get way down. Don't be afraid to go for it on fourth down but be smart about it.
Last edited by djp73 on 14 Jan 2019, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Chillcavern

Football Strategy

Post by Chillcavern » 13 Jan 2019, 19:29

djp73 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 13:07

SCOUTING
I like to look over an upcoming opponents roster coming into the game.

Some key things I look for are as follows:
Is the QB a runner or no? This is a big key to my defensive game plan.
Do they have a speed RB or power? Two they use that are different styles? This is key to get the right personnel on defense.
Do they have one receiver that stands out or are they deep? Any big time speed guys? This helps determine coverages.
Is their TE a deep threat or a plodder? Also helps determine personnel and coverages.
Does the offensive line have any glaring weaknesses? You'll want to attack that weakness with your pass rush.

When scouting their defense I'm basically looking for really good or really bad players. How are the linebackers in coverege? Who is their slowest or weakest corner? How is the interior of their defensive line? Are their ends fast? All of this allows me to make an offensive game plan.
You know, I haven't ever really thought to scout the other team that in-depth, I've been missing out on, this'll help for sure!

djp73 wrote:

STRATEGY
Let's talk offensive basics first.

Personell. Obviously the best thing you can do is adjust your game plan to your players. I love to be a run first balanced offense guy. Do you have the OL to be run heavy? Do you have a good RB? Are you RB by committee with different skill sets? Is your QB a running threat? Are your WRs the best players on your team? If so you need to get them touches.

Very much agreed... gotta play around what you have and maximize their ability

djp73 wrote:
If I have the QB for it I like to use a good amount of read option. I usually don't run a pitch option unless I have a QB with at least mid 80s speed.

When you run the read option make your read quickly. Of you're running an option that sends the RB up the middle and the QB outside watch out for a DE crashing down to make you keep then an OLB looping outside to get the QB for a loss. If you see that look before the snap an audible may be the best bet or hand off on the option. The RB will usually get back to the line or close while the LB can drop the QB for a pretty good loss if you keep.

As far as the conventional running game goes play to your strengths. Up the middle or off tackle if you have a power back and a line that can get a push. Outside if you have the RB speed for it and an OT or TE that can seal the edge. If you have the personnel to do both with a star RB or two different ones then mix it up.

If you have a burner at WR don't be afraid to use some jet sweeps.

Screens work if you have the speed for them. WR and RB both.
This is pretty much the backbone of everything I do :camdead:
Good tip on that defensive look... I've kinda noticed it but they disguise it and fool me sometimes so it's good to know what exactly to look for!
djp73 wrote:
Passing. I love the intermediate passing game. Slants and posts work great depending on the coverage. Outs are tough if you don't have the talent. Read the coverage quick and get the ball out and let your receivers make plays. If you have a good receiving back get him involved. A good receiving TE is huge in this game. If you have one use him. A post into the middle if the linebackers come up and the safeties go outside is easy money if you have a good TE.

Deep passing. Use the matchups. When you scouted earlier you should pick out a CB to attack deep when needed. If you can figure out that CBs spot you can mix personnel to get your deep guy matched up on him. I like to take a shot on 2nd and short or 3rd and short if I'm in 4 down territory. If you get a matchup you like and they're playing tight man hot route that guy to a fly. At the snap read the safeties. If one of them drops to help that corner forget the deep ball. Check it down. If the safety stays home or comes up let it fly.

If the slow/weak corner is off your speed WR use the slant. Snap and get it out. If you have other receivers clearing out and you have time you can wait for the slant to clear the middle of the field and get him the ball on the edge.
A good TE is HUGE, one of my first targets when building a team. Good advice on passing in general here, as someone who sucks at it I really appreciate it
djp73 wrote:
Stick with your game plan unless you get way down. Don't be afraid to go for it on fourth down but be smart about it.
I struggle with this so much at times but its 1000% true. Gotta be calm and smart about how you call the game

Good post djp, gives me some thoughts to chew on. What are your thoughts on formations and such? Curious as to what kind of looks you like to give defenses.

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 14 Jan 2019, 05:40

I'm going to do a number of posts. I'll get into that for sure. Quick advice is to think of the 11 players you want on the field the most and pick plays by personnel. That gives you your best 11 and also uses different looks. In specific situations when you want different personnel or a specific formation pick plays by that.

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 14 Jan 2019, 11:22

OFFENSIVE PERSONNEL

By now we have all been playing these games for some time and probably have an idea what type of players we like to have at each position. Here are some tips for getting players to fit what you want to do. Again, this is primarily for NCAA but works in general.

The number one suggestion I have for getting players or choosing which of the players we already have is to forget about overall ratings. Not entirely obviously but just setting your lineups based entirely on overall ratings is foolish.

QB
You're likely controlling the QB most of the time. What do you like? Rocket arm? Mobile? Find a player that suits your play style. A huge part of a quarterback's overall rating in these games is their awareness rating. But you're controlling him right? Don't let an overall that is inflated because of a high awareness rating sway you. Example: if you prefer a mobile QB and you have a pair of QBs where your higher OVR guy is 70 speed with like 90 AWR and a second guy with 85 Speed and 70 AWR and the passing ratings are fairly close then you are going to be better with the speed guy. If you like to throw the deep ball then you need to take those ratings into account as well. Find the guy that fits what you want to do most. If you're using a lower rated school you'll have to make compromises here most times. Don't be afraid to use more than one guy if you have a mix of skillsets on your roster.

RB
Most teams use more than one RB now. If you're lucky enough to have a "bell cow" type back that can bruise between the tackles, get around the edge on a sweep and catch passes well then use him as much as you can. I would suggest testing out your backups when the situation presents itself so you'll at least be somewhat prepared in the event of an injury. If you don't have a go to guy use formation subs to get the guys with different skill sets in the right packages. You don't want a 180 pound speed guy in on the goal line and you don't want a guy with 80 speed and 50 catching in the shotgun. Mix guys in, you may be surprised how a lower rated guy performs on the field. In Madden the preseason games are a great way to test guys out. Give them reps with the first team and see what you get.

FB
Not a lot of teams use a full back regularly. I like to. A perfect fullback would be a great lead blocker in the running game and also a solid receiver out of the backfield. You're probably not going to get both out of one player so pick what's most important or plan to use two. Short tight ends usually can be moved to fullback and be effective as a receiver, sometimes as a blocker as well. Occasionally I'll move a guard if he's buried on the depth chart and has reasonable speed if I'm looking for a player that's primarily a lead blocker. You'd think a bigger HB could make the move but they typically don't have the blocking skills you'd want if that's what you're after and probably not the receiving skills you would want for that either. There are exceptions. FB is one of the positions where I find overall ratings to be the least useful.

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 14 Jan 2019, 13:42

OFFENSIVE PERSONNEL continued

WR
WR is a position group where you need guys with different skill sets for sure. Personally I like to have a few big targets with good catching and catch in traffic ratings. Speed is a little less important for these guys. You're going to be hitting them across the middle and in the red zone where you want morew size. I like to have some flat out speed guys too, they're usually smaller. Big guys with speed are awesome, those are harder to find especially with lower tier schools. You can really mix and match here with guys in different spots in different formations. Also use your scouting of your opponent to see if you can get a favorable matchup somewhere by moving a guy around. Don't get too caught up in overall ratings here. If you've got a guy with great speed and weaker catch ratings try to get him uncontested catches. Either by sending him deep against a slow corner, bubble screens, slants against off coverage or even in the running game. Fast WRs are usually your best bet for KR/PR too. Again use guys with different skillsets in different ways. I have a guy on my roster that I almost cut because he had a low overall rating, his catch ratings aren't great and he is a Juco JR. He is the fastest player on my team! I can use him in different ways. I probably won't throw to him on third down but if I can get him a few easy touches a game and he breaks one that could be the difference between a win and a loss. The biggest thing with WRs in my opinion is versatility, don't stock up on the same type of guys because you need those different types to be effective in the passing game.

TE
Here's another spot where it's nice to have a mix of guys if you can't get one to do it all. A good receiving tight end can get you out of a lot of bad situations offensively. Speed in the 80s is great, high 70s can be alright too. Depending on how you use him. Don't send a 75 speed tight end on a fly. Use him on in routes and posts. Run blocking is important for TE in the running game obviously. If you don't have a good run blocking TE you can always formation sub an extra offensive linesman but that's going to give away your intentions to a human opponent and he won't be any good in the passing game. If you don't have a good receiving tight end a bigger receiver can be used but he won't be much good as a blocker.

LT
To me LT is one of the few positions on offense where there is an exact formula you want. 6'5" or taller. 300 pounds plus. Pass blocking is the most important thing here. A little speed/acceleration and agility is nice too if you're facing elite pass rushers but if you have a guy with high numbers there you may want him inside if you have another option at LT.

LG, C, RG
Here I want run blockers. You want some acceleration and agility here for pulling on run plays or getting out in front of screens. Tackles usually get a rating increase if you move them inside so that LT with decent run blocking and not so good pass blocking could make a great interior linesman. These guys you want to see the strength rating and impact blocking pretty good too. I tend to run to the right more so the LG would need the agility etc. more as he is more likely to pull.

RT
Right tackle is usually a guy who doesn't have the size or pass blocking to play left tackle for me. I still like to see good height and weight out here but less important to me than LT. If you're facing an elite pass rusher on this side he may need help. If I have an upperclassman at LT and an underclassman LT is a good fit here I love to use him at RT for a season, even if he may not have the highest overall rating.

KR/PR
Speed. If you're controlling the returner then speed is all that matters. Acceleration should be at least close to speed too. This is a great way to get a speed WR with bad hands or a fast DB that can't tackle some extra touches.

K
I like a good balance of power and accuracy here. Just know what you have. A bad kicker can absolutely cost you games.

Chillcavern

Football Strategy

Post by Chillcavern » 14 Jan 2019, 23:07

I'm gonna try to give these posts the reply they deserve and give my thoughts on everything too. Most of it is just gonna be agreeing with or appreciating what you said but ah well :camdead:

djp73 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 11:22
OFFENSIVE PERSONNEL

By now we have all been playing these games for some time and probably have an idea what type of players we like to have at each position. Here are some tips for getting players to fit what you want to do. Again, this is primarily for NCAA but works in general.

The number one suggestion I have for getting players or choosing which of the players we already have is to forget about overall ratings. Not entirely obviously but just setting your lineups based entirely on overall ratings is foolish.

This little thing on overalls is so true. For the human player, the formula to calculate overall is NOT a representation of how good the player will be for you. A good rule of thumb :yep:

djp73 wrote:
QB
You're likely controlling the QB most of the time. What do you like? Rocket arm? Mobile? Find a player that suits your play style. A huge part of a quarterback's overall rating in these games is their awareness rating. But you're controlling him right? Don't let an overall that is inflated because of a high awareness rating sway you. Example: if you prefer a mobile QB and you have a pair of QBs where your higher OVR guy is 70 speed with like 90 AWR and a second guy with 85 Speed and 70 AWR and the passing ratings are fairly close then you are going to be better with the speed guy. If you like to throw the deep ball then you need to take those ratings into account as well. Find the guy that fits what you want to do most. If you're using a lower rated school you'll have to make compromises here most times. Don't be afraid to use more than one guy if you have a mix of skillsets on your roster.

It's so important to find the right fit at QB, this cannot be understated. Good points on using multiple players to utilize their mix of skillsets. One point to elaborate on, at a lower school it might be better to scheme around the guys you have, at least at first. While this is tricky to do, I've had much better success playing around the players I have rather than forcing a pocket passer to run my preferred spread run system.

djp73 wrote:

RB
Most teams use more than one RB now. If you're lucky enough to have a "bell cow" type back that can bruise between the tackles, get around the edge on a sweep and catch passes well then use him as much as you can. I would suggest testing out your backups when the situation presents itself so you'll at least be somewhat prepared in the event of an injury. If you don't have a go to guy use formation subs to get the guys with different skill sets in the right packages. You don't want a 180 pound speed guy in on the goal line and you don't want a guy with 80 speed and 50 catching in the shotgun. Mix guys in, you may be surprised how a lower rated guy performs on the field. In Madden the preseason games are a great way to test guys out. Give them reps with the first team and see what you get.

Good points here vis a vis formation subs. I love doing a backfield-by-committee approach but I've never been one to play to situation but rather fatigue. Makes so much more sense to do both - helps with play calling variety, keeps your backs fresh and puts them only in positive situations for them and helps maximize talent. Seems like a win-win-win to me.

djp73 wrote:

FB
Not a lot of teams use a full back regularly. I like to. A perfect fullback would be a great lead blocker in the running game and also a solid receiver out of the backfield. You're probably not going to get both out of one player so pick what's most important or plan to use two. Short tight ends usually can be moved to fullback and be effective as a receiver, sometimes as a blocker as well. Occasionally I'll move a guard if he's buried on the depth chart and has reasonable speed if I'm looking for a player that's primarily a lead blocker. You'd think a bigger HB could make the move but they typically don't have the blocking skills you'd want if that's what you're after and probably not the receiving skills you would want for that either. There are exceptions. FB is one of the positions where I find overall ratings to be the least useful.

I'll admit, I'm one of those that tends to use the FB slot in formations for an extra RB or TE. Good points relating to what kinds of other positional recruits make good fullbacks - the generated full recruits / draftees are very hit or miss.

djp73 wrote:
14 Jan 2019, 13:42

WR
WR is a position group where you need guys with different skill sets for sure. Personally I like to have a few big targets with good catching and catch in traffic ratings. Speed is a little less important for these guys. You're going to be hitting them across the middle and in the red zone where you want morew size. I like to have some flat out speed guys too, they're usually smaller. Big guys with speed are awesome, those are harder to find especially with lower tier schools. You can really mix and match here with guys in different spots in different formations. Also use your scouting of your opponent to see if you can get a favorable matchup somewhere by moving a guy around. Don't get too caught up in overall ratings here. If you've got a guy with great speed and weaker catch ratings try to get him uncontested catches. Either by sending him deep against a slow corner, bubble screens, slants against off coverage or even in the running game. Fast WRs are usually your best bet for KR/PR too. Again use guys with different skillsets in different ways. I have a guy on my roster that I almost cut because he had a low overall rating, his catch ratings aren't great and he is a Juco JR. He is the fastest player on my team! I can use him in different ways. I probably won't throw to him on third down but if I can get him a few easy touches a game and he breaks one that could be the difference between a win and a loss. The biggest thing with WRs in my opinion is versatility, don't stock up on the same type of guys because you need those different types to be effective in the passing game.

Great bit on receivers here - interesting point on getting talented players the ball despite their weaknesses. A point I'd like to add to is trying to play to your receivers' strengths and putting them in positions to make plays - for example, you probably want your big possession receiver on the outside so he'll be matching up with corners most of the time, put the shifty guys in the slot to exploit backers, etc...

djp73 wrote:
TE
Here's another spot where it's nice to have a mix of guys if you can't get one to do it all. A good receiving tight end can get you out of a lot of bad situations offensively. Speed in the 80s is great, high 70s can be alright too. Depending on how you use him. Don't send a 75 speed tight end on a fly. Use him on in routes and posts. Run blocking is important for TE in the running game obviously. If you don't have a good run blocking TE you can always formation sub an extra offensive linesman but that's going to give away your intentions to a human opponent and he won't be any good in the passing game. If you don't have a good receiving tight end a bigger receiver can be used but he won't be much good as a blocker.

Good TEs are one of the best offensive weapons in this game. Seriously. Interesting point vis-a-vis a converting receiver's inability to block - haven't thought about that when converting some of my larger receivers to TE, something to keep an eye on.

djp73 wrote:
LT
To me LT is one of the few positions on offense where there is an exact formula you want. 6'5" or taller. 300 pounds plus. Pass blocking is the most important thing here. A little speed/acceleration and agility is nice too if you're facing elite pass rushers but if you have a guy with high numbers there you may want him inside if you have another option at LT.

LG, C, RG
Here I want run blockers. You want some acceleration and agility here for pulling on run plays or getting out in front of screens. Tackles usually get a rating increase if you move them inside so that LT with decent run blocking and not so good pass blocking could make a great interior linesman. These guys you want to see the strength rating and impact blocking pretty good too. I tend to run to the right more so the LG would need the agility etc. more as he is more likely to pull.

RT
Right tackle is usually a guy who doesn't have the size or pass blocking to play left tackle for me. I still like to see good height and weight out here but less important to me than LT. If you're facing an elite pass rusher on this side he may need help. If I have an upperclassman at LT and an underclassman LT is a good fit here I love to use him at RT for a season, even if he may not have the highest overall rating.

Great breakdown of the OL. Pretty similar to the conventional wisdom for lines. I will say, scheming around who you have on your line is stealthily huge! The ability of your line to block (...or not) for a type of play is huge in determining the success of said play.

djp73 wrote:

KR/PR
Speed. If you're controlling the returner then speed is all that matters. Acceleration should be at least close to speed too. This is a great way to get a speed WR with bad hands or a fast DB that can't tackle some extra touches.

K
I like a good balance of power and accuracy here. Just know what you have. A bad kicker can absolutely cost you games.

Good summary of special teams here, though I am wondering: wouldn't agility be key on returns? You're gonna change directions a fair bit as a returner. Regardless, it's a great position to put the raw and talented skill position players. And knowing the range of your kicker (and punter too, I might add) is key to knowing what plays to call - need to know when you're in field goal range vs when you are not.

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 15 Jan 2019, 05:12

A few good points there

Definitely like the big receivers on the outside, that's key.

KR/PR agility is a factor too. Most guys who have 90s speed will have enough agility to make it work. I suppose a 95 speed with a 75 agility wouldn't be great but I haven't seen much difference between an 85 and 95 agility rating on returns. Agility is probably more important on punt returns as you're likely to have to make one guy miss early and don't have the 10 to 20 yard cushion to get moving like you would on a kick return.