Football Strategy

Here you can put any resources or helpful links you think would be useful for members.

Topic author
James

Football Strategy

Post by James » 12 Jan 2019, 10:52

djp and I have talked about this for awhile. I guess I'll start it.

What are your strategies for football games on the field?

Personally, I like a run heavy offense. I have started to pick all of my own plays and it is much more satisfying. I generally will run on first or second down. Passing on 3rd and long and then whenever I have a long drive I'll try to hit a play action pass on first down. I generally like a short west coast style offense for passing because most of my picks come off forcing a ball on a go route that isn't open.

Defensively I try to match up skill for skill and play man with help over the top. I do play zone defense as well but if it is third and long I am manning up with help over the top and hoping for a good pass rush.

Just some things off the top of my head. I'm sure we will get much more in-depth

@djp73

Soapy

Football Strategy

Post by Soapy » 12 Jan 2019, 14:17

offensively, i like for my passing plays to have at least one crossing pattern and one out breaking route per play. a lot of isos and inside zones.

defensively, i sit in a cover 3 90% of the time and anything less than five yards on third down, go to press man.

KimJongBaze

Football Strategy

Post by KimJongBaze » 12 Jan 2019, 17:04

short passing game helps take the pressure off my qb, so lots of inside crosses/drags. I involve my slot receiver and tight ends a lot. Of course, my success depends on my running game. Lots of inside runs with the occasional stretch. I use that to set up play-action.

Defensively, I usually play cover 3. Cover 2 or man if it's a short yardage situation and cover 4 if it's 3rd and long. I also like to put my safeties in the box to defend against the run.

Chillcavern

Football Strategy

Post by Chillcavern » 12 Jan 2019, 17:11

Offensively, I like to run a very run-oriented spread attack. I'm a real fan of a lot of the shotgun and pistol formations, especially in NCAA 14. I like to heavily utilize my receivers in the running game and running backs in the passing game as well - do everything possible to exploit mismatches. I try to limit my option play calls though, as they feel pretty cheesy most of the time. I do like running the non-standard options(such as the inverted veer plays or using Jet Sweep fakes as an option play) though, they don't feel too cheesy. When it comes to passing the ball, I'm a fan of crossing routes, posts, corners,gos, wheels, - basically anything that gets your players in space and lets them make a play or has a hard break in likely 1-on-1 coverage. I probably throw too many slants (most of the picks I throw are on slant routes since I have a bad habit of ignoring the 'backers) and I avoid curls like the plague. I also don't use play action often enough at all, but I'm trying to break that habit soon. I have a tendency to overwhelmingly get sacked on PA plays but I think that sliding protection and varied playcalling helps with that and I've seen improvement in that area whilst playing my coaching chise.

When it comes to defense, I'm an ignoramus who generally plays it pretty basic and safe. I usually run a mix of cover 1 and 3, depending on offensive situation / formation (i.e. when they run trips, I'll usually run man since I'm too bad at the game to figure out how to shift the zone). On long passing situations I like the 2 man under. Blitzing-wise, I like to mix up where my rushers are coming from and I try to avoid repeating blitzes. I heavily sub on defense to remain fresh and I like to run a huge variety of formations as well - in a similar idea as my O philosophy, I try to get my impact defenders in position to make plays. Obviously I also do things such as spy mobile QBs and spotlight impact receivers.

Of course, to do this properly requires a hell of a recruiting / drafting job (depending on NCAA/Madden). I want to get into recruiting later - I love NCAA 14's system and I really like how you can build the team you want with it.

Chillcavern

Football Strategy

Post by Chillcavern » 12 Jan 2019, 17:15

Soapy wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 14:17
defensively, i sit in a cover 3 90% of the time and anything less than five yards on third down, go to press man.
Baze wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 17:04
Defensively, I usually play cover 3. Cover 2 or man if it's a short yardage situation and cover 4 if it's 3rd and long. I also like to put my safeties in the box to defend against the run.
Chillcavern wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 17:11
I usually run a mix of cover 1 and 3, depending on offensive situation / formation .

:camdead:

I wonder how influenced we all were by the Legion of Boom, geez (I know I was :curtain:)

Scars

Football Strategy

Post by Scars » 12 Jan 2019, 17:30

I like to use a lot of stick plays and shallow/inside crosses to get the ball out of my QBs hands quickly. I usually use my slot receiver a lot, and if I have a bonafide WR1 then I'll slide him around the field depending on the formation. For run plays, I do dives, power runs, and counters with an occasional zone run to mix it up. Once the read option gets going and the defense starts showing blitz, I can start audibling to play actions or a play with one receiver on a drag/slant and another on a go route.

On defense, I go mostly Cover 3. If it's a short yardage situation, Cover 2 or Cover 1 press is my go-to. When it's third and long, I do 2-man coverage. I also add another DB on the field if I'm playing against a good receiving back or tight end.

Soapy

Football Strategy

Post by Soapy » 12 Jan 2019, 19:15

nashuga thought me how to run the air raid.

i was going to do an ncaa chise and show out the air raid but baze let me down.

Topic author
James

Football Strategy

Post by James » 12 Jan 2019, 20:13

Nashuga? What are you talking about?

I would be interested in see some air raid for sure. I throw too many INTs or I would do it myself.

djp73

Football Strategy

Post by djp73 » 12 Jan 2019, 20:51

I'll get into this tomorrow

Chillcavern

Football Strategy

Post by Chillcavern » 12 Jan 2019, 21:19

Air raid chise Soapy pls pls

But for real I’ve always kinda been confused but intrigued by the air raid.