Chasing The Dream - The Career Of Chase Porter

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Chillcavern

Post by Chillcavern » 11 Dec 2018, 16:50

Laying out a lot of plot threads here, I like it! Curious to see where this is going!

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » 11 Dec 2018, 19:32

The ties to Sanchez go way back. Wipe that smile of his smug face and take his job!

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 11 Dec 2018, 20:13

Chillcavern wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 16:50
Laying out a lot of plot threads here, I like it! Curious to see where this is going!
We've got a lot of story to tell. Going to mix in a number of flashbacks throughout. Thanks for the post. I hope it's a fun ride for all of us.

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 11 Dec 2018, 20:15

Rob wrote:
11 Dec 2018, 19:32
The ties to Sanchez go way back. Wipe that smile of his smug face and take his job!
Yeah those two are very intertwined. We'll have to see about the job :bacon:

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 12 Dec 2018, 12:28

OREGON DUCKS BEAT

Oregon 47, USC 20: Ducks rewrite records, realign Pac-10
Updated Oct 31, 2009; Posted Oct 31, 2009
By John Hunt, The Oregonian

EUGENE - This Oregon team's place in history will be decided in the coming weeks, but before a standing, roaring crowd at Autzen Stadium on Saturday, the Ducks rewrote records and realigned the balance of power in the Pacific-10 Conference once owned by USC.

The Trojans, ranked No. 4 in the nation and Pac-10 champions seven years running, stopped in Eugene on their expected path to a fifth consecutive Rose Bowl and left looking like an aging, punch-drunk former champ as fans danced beneath a scoreboard that flashed a mind-boggling score:

Oregon 47, USC 20.

To say it was a big victory would be an understatement. To say it was a big loss for the Trojans, may be even more of one.

In the past 93 games under coach Pete Carroll, the Trojans had lost eight times and by a total of 29 points. Never in that span had they lost by more than a touchdown. On one stunning night, they lost by 27 points.

The 47 points were the most a Carroll-coached team has given up at USC. It was the highest point total -- by 13 -- that Oregon has had in its 56 meetings with the Trojans.

"This was a real mess for us tonight," Carroll said. "Oregon did everything that they wanted to do."

Oregon (7-1, 5-0) rushed for 391 yards against a team that ranked fifth in the nation in rushing defense, allowing 80 yards a game. The Ducks had 613 yards of total offense, the second-highest total USC has ever allowed after Notre Dame's 623 in 1946.

And the Trojans (6-2, 3-2) had saved their best for the biggest games. They had won 10 games in a row against ranked teams. They had, though, lost on their past three trips to the state of Oregon, and the ghost of Oregon State running back Jacquizz Rodgers appeared.

Oregon's smallish LaMichael James hid behind his linemen, picked his holes and ran for 183 yards -- best ever for an Oregon freshman. It was his fifth 100-yard game.

"When you think it's a two- or three-yard gain, he bounces for 30," said Oregon quarterback Chase Porter, who ran for 164 yards himself.

That's right. The quarterback runs for twice as much yardage as USC had been allowing entire teams.

"Porter was ridiculously effective," Carroll said. "We really had our chances to make things happen in the backfield but we didn't. The runs that he popped, whether they were scrambles or by design, just broke our back. It was a very difficult night for us."

Porter said it was just another game, despite his history at USC, and he backed away from saying this was a statement game for the Ducks.

"We plan on doing this," Porter said. "If we make a statement, we make a statement. That's just Oregon football and how we roll."

Roll they did.

In front of a national television audience and after ESPN's "College GameDay" had its morning broadcast from Autzen, the Ducks traded punches with the Trojans in the first half before putting the game away.

Many thought the Autzen Stadium crowd, with this Halloween night matchup, would be at its loudest yet. And it might have been. The noise was deafening and disrupting, forcing the Trojans into five false-start penalties in the first half.

But any thoughts that freshman quarterback Matt Barkley would be rattled by the raucous crowd were extinguished on the opening drive when Barkley completed his first six passes and marched the Trojans down to Oregon's 10-yard line. But Talmadge Jackson broke up the seventh pass, intended for Damian Williams in the end zone, and USC settled for a field goal.

Oregon's special teams, which blocked a punt for a touchdown last week at Washington and scored in the previous game when Kenjon Barner took the second-half kickoff all the way back at UCLA, struck again. This time, Barner returned the kickoff 77 yards to set up a tying field goal.

Then Porter got the hot hand despite some errant shotgun snaps, hitting four in a row and scoring on a keeper to give the Ducks a 10-3 lead.

It was obvious that these two teams -- USC with its dominance in recent years and Oregon with its impressive start to the Pac-10 season, outscoring four opponents 161-38 -- were evenly matched, and this one might be decided by turnovers.

USC, which had forced just nine of them coming into the game, stripped the ball from receiver Jeff Maehl, and Barkley quickly led the Trojans to a tying touchdown.

Both offenses were having their way. The leaks that had sprung in the Trojans' defense in their past two games (63 points allowed to Notre Dame and Oregon State) had not been plugged. And Oregon's secondary couldn't stop Barkley, thanks to the considerable protection provided by the USC offensive line.

It was Barkley through the air and James and Porter on the ground. The teams traded scores, and the Ducks took a 24-17 lead into halftime when Porter found former USC recruit Jamere Holland in the back of the end zone with two minutes left.

The Ducks have been a strong second-half team this season, and after halftime, they outscored USC 23-3.

"Our halftime adjustments are just try to get a drink of water, touch your toes and go back out and play," Oregon coach Chip Kelly said.

The only scare on this night came early in the fourth quarter when USC recovered a fumble and ran it back for a touchdown that would have brought the Trojans within two touchdowns. But after further review, James was down before the ball was stripped, and the festivities resumed.

After the game, James was asked what he took from this game, whether it ever struck him that the Ducks were dishing out this kind of punishment to the USC Trojans.

"Nah ... one time I was like, Taylor Mays is the biggest dude I've ever seen in my life," James said.

The Ducks took their best shots from the hard-hitting Mays -- he laid a couple on Porter -- and they weathered a strong performance by Barkley and slashing running by Joe McKnight. Oregon simply took the Trojans' best shots and knocked them out.

"We knew what was coming," Mays said. "Wasn't like they out-schemed us, wasn't like they were more athletic than us. We just got beat. They beat us straight up playing football."

Or, as Porter put it:

"No one can really hang with us in the league and across the nation."

Chillcavern

Post by Chillcavern » 12 Dec 2018, 12:58

Oregon QB doing well in a flashback, when's the injury coming for Porter? :troll:

But for real, what a throwback with those names. Like none of them were big in the NFL, lol, I think the best pros in that game were Dickson and Ward, looking back at it. That Halloween game had such mystique to it, though, a big moment in CFB history IMO. Like the mythos you're building this guy :yup:

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 12 Dec 2018, 13:55

Chillcavern wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 12:58
But for real, what a throwback with those names. Like none of them were big in the NFL, lol, I think the best pros in that game were Dickson and Ward, looking back at it. That Halloween game had such mystique to it, though, a big moment in CFB history IMO. Like the mythos you're building this guy :yup:
It is cool seeing all those old names. I know it's kinda weird rewriting history but aside from making up fake colleges I didn't really see a good way to do it. No game results are changed from the real life result.

Chillcavern

Post by Chillcavern » 12 Dec 2018, 14:03

djp73 wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 13:55
Chillcavern wrote:
12 Dec 2018, 12:58
It is cool seeing all those old names. I know it's kinda weird rewriting history but aside from making up fake colleges I didn't really see a good way to do it. No game results are changed from the real life result.
Yeah I saw you basically made Porter Masoli that game, I think that’s a fair way of doing it. Not like Masoli stayed at Oregon anyway, lol

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 12 Dec 2018, 14:52

yeah, there will be a few guys that kind of get overwritten by Porter so to speak along the way, not really a better way to do it so :shrug:

Topic author
djp73

Post by djp73 » 13 Dec 2018, 11:34

12/09/2018
Porter replaces Sanchez, leads 'Skins to win

QB CHASE PORTER COMPLETES HIS FIRST NFL PASS SINCE 2011

Quarterback Chase Porter had not attempted a pass in an NFL game since the 2011 season before he took over for Mark Sanchez to start the second half of a scoreless game against the Giants earlier today.

Porter signed on Thursday, 11 days after leading Calgary to a Grey Cup win.

"We only had about 30 or 40 plays for him." Coach Jay Gruden explained after the win. "He obviously made the most of those today."

PORTER CELEBRATES A LONG TD PASS TO DOCTSON

Porter completed 13 of 18 pass attempts for 196 yards and a pair of scores. He also ran 10 times for 86 yards.

Porter's third pass attempt resulted in a 54 yard touchdown pass to Josh Doctson. He added a second touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter on a run-pass option. Porter kept the ball, rolled out to the right and connected with tight end Jeremy Sprinkle for a two yard score.

Chris Thompson ran 19 times for 112 yards and a score. Doctson's 111 yards led all receivers.

Porter, who was drafted by the Jets in 2011, said he felt comfortable with the transition back to the NFL game.

"The NFL game plays faster for sure." He said when asked about the differences. "Not having that familiarity with the guys was weird. I've been with Calgary four seasons now. I mean, I was watching highlight videos of the team on Youtube to try to get to know guys."

The win puts Washington in the middle of the playoff hunt, tied with Dallas and Philadelphia for the division lead.

"Games are as important as they get for the rest of the season." Gruden explained. "We're fighting for a playoff spot so we want the guy who gives us the best chance to win out there. We'll see how Chase does with more of the playbook. Mark too. We'll put the guy that gives us the best chance out there."

The Redskins face the Jaguars next week.

PORTER THROWS A 4TH QUARTER TD PASS TO SPRINKLE
Last edited by djp73 on 13 Dec 2018, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.