War of the Roses: Redux Edition

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 30 Sep 2019, 18:47

Pulling It Together

After weeks of summer camp, filled with two-a-days in the heat and humidity and more than a few scuffles in the realm of hyper aggressive male children, Terrebonne’s football team had made it to the beginning of the school year without killing one another. There were, however, no triumphant parties and greetings as they walked onto the campus. They didn’t fully bond and they were still very much two teams shoved into one set of colors.

The coaches still had a monumental task on their hands. But first, the players had to get through the first few weeks of school before their first game.

“You know what’s the worst fucking part about coming here?” Ron asked as he, Caesar, Britton, Bentley and Anthony walked along the sidewalk to campus.

Caesar rubbed at his eyes before downing what was left of the coffee in the cup in his hand. He threw the cup in the bushes nearby. “I’d put a lot of money down that you’re going to say the fact that fucking school starts at 7 in the fucking morning.”

“The guidance counselors got me, man. Hit me with the early dismissal talk then realized I played football and said I couldn’t because I have to have weights fourth period. Got me right here, man.” Britton tapped on his chest.

“At least, y’all are graduating and won’t have to deal with this shit anymore,” Bentley said.

“Don’t know how I’m going to do two more years of this shit,” Anthony agreed.

“Bright side, Ron’s going to be waking up before the roosters when he brings his ass up to West Point,” Caesar said, giving his friend a playful shove.

Ron brushed him away and shook his head. “Nope, I’ll be heading to Texas. I gave my verbal to TCU last week. Didn’t want that shit hanging over my head for my senior season. I have the note all written up to throw on social later today.”

“That’s a smart move,” Britton said, nodding. “Even though you’re going the pretentious ‘respect my decision’ route.”

“Respect my decision to say respect my decision, bro.” Ron laughed.

Caesar raised an eyebrow at the revelation. “If you’re going to go to a Big 12 school, why aren’t you going to Oklahoma State? I’m sure whatever TCU is offering you isn’t as good as whatever Oklahoma State put up.”

“Oklahoma State wasn’t offering me shit, but a chance to throw to the son of Cowboy legend Deion Jenkins. But you haven’t even committed yet. Getting cold feet?”

“Just following orders and waiting to make the announcement.”

He wasn’t going to say so, but Caesar was slightly pissed off that Ron would choose TCU over going to Oklahoma State. The prospect of another two years tearing up the NCAA with a quarterback that he knew could hit him was pretty hard not to get excited about. The guys who the Cowboys currently had running the offense simply weren’t as good.

“Were the hostesses at least a better lay in Fort Worth?” Caesar asked.

Ron wagged his finger at the receiver. “A true gentleman never kisses and tells. Maybe you should take advantage of your recruitment and go and find out what the hostesses are like in Fort Worth for yourself.”

“They got smacked by the NCAA for that shit. You know their hostesses are freaks,” Britton said. “They probably get some of the jersey chasers who follow the Cowboys around to go down to Fort Worth and go down on teenagers who might end up in the league.”

“Will, sir. Will end up in the league,” Ron corrected.

“That’s some good shit, Ron. We got an offer this weekend, too,” Bentley said, nodding to Anthony.

“Yep. Southern Miss wants us both.”

“Y’all really fucking each other,” Caesar said, laughing.

Anthony shrugged. “Game recognize game as they used to say. Their defensive coordinator came through and wanted to get in on that Houma pipeline in case anyone else wanted to trade one Magnolia State for another.”

“No one wants to go to Southern Miss, man. What the fuck are you going to do out there? Try to steal someone from their cousin?” Ron said. “Right, Britton?”

“Yeah, no one wants to go to Southern Miss,” he said, hoping no one would hear that his hear that his heart wasn’t in the insult.

“Hey, a football team isn’t all stars. Someone has to do the gritty work and that’s what they want up in Hattiesburg. Real hard-working guys,” Bentley said.

“Hard-working. A synonym for ‘not very good at football so we have to give them some kind of platitude,’” Caesar said.

“He’s a real workout warrior, Mel!” Ron shouted, imitating ESPN’s old NFL draft analyst, Mel Kiper. “He’s the first one in the gym and the last one to leave. A gamer!”

The group turned the corner into the main bit of the campus. Caesar glanced across the circle that the buses used to unload students and locked eyes with Jamie, standing with Bart. She gave him a bit of a wave to which he nodded to.

Ron shoved Caesar almost causing him to fall over. “You did not fuck Bart’s girlfriend. Your dick is going to get you killed.”

The rest of the guys laughed and nodded in agreement.

“I didn’t fuck her,” Caesar said. “I just saw her a couple weeks back in the neighborhood and gave her my number. It’s kinda hard to get away when you have a fucking kid. I’m just giving her someone else to talk to.”

“Don’t do that shit, Caesar,” Ron said, pointing an admonishing finger at him. “That motherfucker is probably really affiliated. You know how those Up the Bayou motherfuckers are.”

“Yeah, bro. We have enough problems on this team,” Britton said.

Caesar only shrugged and let the conversation thread die.

-*****-

Devin and Scarlett sat at their typical table in the bus circle. The first half of the first day of school had gone by slowly and Devin was dreading going back to class for the final two periods of the day. It didn’t help that he had both football practice and work to look forward to after school.

Hiding his phone under the table, Devin looked through the brochures that schools had been sending him over the last few weeks as his grandfather went into overdrive to send film to coaches around the country and put him on their radars. Despite a mostly lackluster sophomore season, it seemed that a lot of coaches were banking on the potential that Devin would continue to grow into a better player.

“You’re ignoring me again,” Scarlett said, bumping his shoulder with hers.

He looked up and glanced around at the people around him, looking for any teachers. He personally loathed the rule that students couldn’t have their phones on campus. An ancient rule from 50 years ago when the school board was convinced that every student would make drug deals if they had their phones on them. Little did they know, you didn’t need a phone for that.

“No, I’m not.”

She leaned forward, propped her head up with her hand and faced him. “What’d I just say then?”

“You weren’t talking. You didn’t say anything.”

“Yeah, because you wouldn’t have been listening anyway!” She sighed and looked down at his phone. “What’s got your attention anyway? You’ve been looking at that damn phone everytime I’ve seen you today.”

He held his phone up so she could see it better. “Just looking at info that schools had been sending me thanks to my grandpa calling coaches and shit.”

She flicked her finger across the screen. “Marshall.” She swiped again. “Eastern Washington.” And again. “Villanova.” And once more. “Temple. Your grandpa does know that there are college football teams in Louisiana, right?”

“Yeah, but I was already getting stuff from them,” he paused and then corrected himself. “Well, from all of them except for LSU, UL and Tulane.”

“You need to get into LSU so we can go to school together. Isn’t there some way that you can pull some strings and make that happen? You are the grandson of a former pro football player, after all. It works for Caesar.”

“Well, fuck him, first of all. Secondly, his dad is also a former pro and a current agent. He’s got a bit of a head start on the normal kids there.”

Scarlett ran her finger across the screen a few more times. “Well, you should ask him for some help so you can get into LSU.”

“I’ll pass on that. I’m sure I can get in there myself if that’s something that’s on the cards for me.” Devin slipped his phone back into his pocket. “Speaking of, do you still have those ACT prep books that your parents got you last year? I need to get ready for that.”

“Yeah, I can help you study if you want. I’m taking it again next month.”

He nodded his thanks. “Yeah, I need to make sure that I get a good enough score that Clearinghouse isn’t up my ass about it. And it’d be good if I didn’t need any damn remedials. Most schools don’t even let you in with them anymore.”

“As a thank you, I’m going to need you to make good on those dates you promised over the summer plus interest. We can just go somewhere every Saturday for the rest of the year.” She smiled up at him to try to pour on some persuasion.

“I can do that. I’ll tell one of the other guys to take some of my shifts at work so I don’t have to work late on Saturdays.”

Scarlett leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. “You’re the best.”

Devin cringed a bit when an upcoming event came to mind. “But I’m going to have to double up on a weekend in a few weeks. I’m going to Starksville for a visit.”

“What is in Starksville?”

“Mississippi State. I gave my grandpa some lip about it over the summer, but it was an unofficial one then. It’s an official one now. I’ll meet the coaches and shit.”

Scarlett rolled her eyes before she shoved up from the bench and headed toward the building. Devin thought about chasing behind her and trying to apologize but he decided to let her go. He’d have to wait until she blew off some steam before doing so.

Instead, he pulled his phone back out of his pocket and opened up the information that Mississippi State’s admissions office has sent him. The Bulldogs had been a bad program for a couple decades, but they were an SEC school and it would be hard to pass that up if they gave him an official offer.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 30 Sep 2019, 21:02

It Begins Today

“Weeeeelcome back! To the greatest high school football podcast on the face of the Earth, Bayou Sports. It’s that time again, ladies and gentlemen. It’s Friday night. The rallies have their pep. The paint has found its way onto faces. The floodlights have gotten their bulbs. In only a few hours, thousands of rabid fans will descend on football stadiums around the Teche region to watch the greatest sport that God has given us. Jeff, on a scale of 1 to 10, how excited are you about this season?”

“Mais, I got the frissons, me. I’m gonna be honest with you, bo. We’ve been doin’ this for about five years and I don’t think I ever been this excited about a season. We’ll be all ova the place of course, but we startin’ the season where the action at. Terrebonne against Jesuit. Everyone been watchin’ over the summer and in the spring before that, but it’s real now.”

“That game kicks off at 6:30 if you plan to head on down to Houma and check it out, but you might want to make sure to get there early. National media outlets who cover recruiting and the like were talking about this story to tell you how big it has become. Let me put this into prospective for you. The last time the state of Louisiana saw high schools merged together was in 2006 when South Plaquemines was formed after Hurricane Katrina. That school has never had more than 500 kids at it. Together, Terrebonne’s students and the ‘transfers’ from Vandebilt number closer to 2,000. That’s huge for a Louisiana school. This football team is fucking massive, literally and figuratively. Excuse my French.”

“You can’t forget to mention that when Vandebilt closed, Terrebonne ended up with the lion’s share of the Terriers’ best players. It’s a super team in every way you can describe it.”

“Super team might be one way to put it, but a little birdy told me that it’s not all rainbows and sunshine down there at Thomas B. Smith. Coach Danny Hill is feeling the pressure to perform. A man who has won 14 games in 8 years as a high school football coach is suddenly being asked to not only deliver an undefeated season, but also a state championship.”

“To a school that has never won a state championship in over 100 years of existence.”

“You know what they say, Jeff. Don’t piss off the Catholics and the Catholics have changed parishes. Coach Hill better watch out if Terrebonne doesn’t fly out of the blocks.”

-*****-

Devin tugged at the neck of his jersey as he sat in the locker room with the rest of the team waiting for the pep rally to get underway. He could hear the students filing into the field house outside and could feel the thumps of the band’s drumline going through different cadences. This one had a different feel from the ten that he’d gone through last season because of one key thing.

Just about every student was trying to cram into the field house. A far cry from the few dozens that would come to celebrate the team last year.

The feel around the school was even different. Expectations had gone through the roof. Everyone was expecting wins now. Football wouldn’t be about having fun anymore. It would only be about making sure that Terrebonne was ahead on the scoreboard when it was all said and done.

Hasan walked into the locker room and sat down next to Devin. He pointed to the number twenty-five on his jersey. “I finally got that kid Grant to swap jersey numbers with me. Only took tellin’ him that I’ll get spicy chicken sandwiches for him from the cafeteria for the entire season.”

Devin shook his head, feeling like he was going to be sick and choosing to keep his mouth shut in fear that he’d lose his own lunch if he spoke.

“You don’t look so good, man. You been eatin’ chitlins or somethin’? You know half these motherfuckers addicts in here. I’m sure the rich kids got somethin’ to help you out. Want me to go ask around?”

Devin shook his head again, but this time he stood and headed for the bathrooms. Deciding that there would be too many guys in the bathrooms in the locker room, he headed out into the field house to use the bathroom in the nearby hallway.

Outside, the sounds of the gym hit him like a hammer to the chest. Each bass drum strike thumped in his body and the sound of what seemed like the entire student body talking at one time pounded his ear drums.

He watched the Tigerettes and the cheerleaders do their routines at center court for a moment before the nausea hit him again.

All but running to the bathroom, he burst into a stall and bent over the toilet. His lunch, a couple slices of pizza, came back up and splashed in the murky water below. It didn’t taste nearly as good coming back up as it had going down.

Stepping out of the stall, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. If nothing else, he’d crossed throwing up from nerves off his bucket list. He stepped up to the sink and turned on the water. The water, as was the case anywhere on the campus, was a bit dinghy looking but used it to rinse his mouth out all the same. A little Bayou Lafourche water ain’t never hurt nobody.

He stared at the reflection in the mirror. Red eyes from his vomiting and a bit of spittle covering the number four on his chest. He wiped the vomit off and ran his hand under the water. It was at that moment that he realized what a trial the season would be.

Turning to leave, he noticed the sound of skin slapping together coming from one of the other stalls for the first time. He took a step back and saw a pair of shoes occupying only one of them. Instead of facing out of the stall or into the stall, the feet were turned to the right and standing close to the wall.

Devin strained his ears and could hear moaning coming from the stall faintly over the sound of the band playing. Just as he was about to turn to leave, the sounds stopped for a moment before a few final slaps and thuds sounded through the bathroom.

He took a step toward the door, but the stall opened before he got make his retreat.

Caesar stepped out of the stall, buttoning his pants with something hanging from one of his hands. He looked over at Devin and shook his head. Behind him, Bart’s girlfriend, Jamie, peeked out of the stall. She looked like a deer caught in headlights when she noticed Devin.

Jamie put her head down and quickly slipped out of the bathroom. Caesar stood at the sink running water into a condom. He held it up as if looking for holes. Devin raised an eyebrow, confused.

Caesar threw the condom toward the garbage can, splashing water and who knows what else on the wall.

He smacked Devin twice on the chest as he passed. “Never trust the fertile ones, King. And make sure you keep this to yourself, huh?”

-*****-

Caesar walked out of the bathroom just as the band struck up the fight song. He looked over his shoulder and saw Devin walking out behind him. The two of them made eye contact, but Devin only shook his head and joined the rest of the team filing out of the locker room.

Caesar started to take a spot at the front of the column of players, but Bart pushed him aside.

“Seniors in front, chump,” the runningback said.

Caesar smiled and held up his hands. “You got it, man.” He held his hand out to Bart to shake. “Season’s starting. We’re really teammates now. How about we let what happened over the summer stay back there and we’ll let bygones be bygones? We cool?”

Bart looked at his hand for a moment before taking it and shaking it twice. “Yeah, but you still a little bitch and you still got get in the back.”

“Fair enough,” Caesar said, laughing a bit. He thought about asking Bart how his kid was doing, but figured that would probably be a step too far and lead to the two of them getting into a fight before the pep rally really got underway.

Moments later, the team jogged out onto the court where they were greeted with cheers from their classmates. Caesar strolled out onto the court near the back of the line and found Ron near center court.

Ron threw an arm around his friend’s shoulders when he noticed Caesar standing next to him, but it was more like a headlock. “Fuck this school, but I love this shit. Next to scoring touchdowns and winning, this might be the best part of this football shit.”

“Fuck this school and fuck this shit. It’s a waste of time.” Caesar shrugged Ron off and nodded toward the cheerleaders. “The cheerleaders aren’t even all that nice to look at. They should’ve gotten all the Vandebilt ones on the squad that they had.”

“The Vandebilt cheerleaders weren’t all the nice too look at either. You’re just mad that those girls aren’t letting you fuck them.”

Caesar laughed, knowing what he’d just done. “That might be it, man. “

Ron turned to him and poked him in the chest. “We’re going to fucking win state.”

“We’re not going to win state at fucking Terrebonne. Have you been drinking at school?” Caesar asked, taking the change of subject in stride.

“We’re going to fucking win state. At Terrebonne. Say it.”

“We’re not going to win state here, man. I can name about twenty motherfuckers on this team would fold when the chips are down. We aren’t winning state here unless it’s on a video game and they don’t make high school football video games.”

“You wouldn’t know. You don’t even play video games,” Ron said, waving off the comment. “Just give it a try, man. New school and shit. Get a little excited at a pep rally.”

“For what? It’s not like we’re about to go out there and play the game right now.”

Ron gestured around them. “Just look around and take it in. All this shit could be over tomorrow.”

Caesar did take a look around the field house. Filled, it looked very different from Vandebilt’s gym. With the court lower than the bleachers, he could say how it could be an intimidating venue for basketball teams back when Terrebonne’s basketball team was good.

However, he still didn’t feel the same electricity that Ron was apparently feeling. It was just a bunch of his classmates screaming and relishing the opportunity to be out of class. He wouldn’t feel like he was at home until later tonight when he got on the football field and crushed his opponents.

And crush them he would.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 01 Oct 2019, 12:11

Jesus Christ Caesar. This guy just stays fucking.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 01 Oct 2019, 12:26

Captain Canada wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 12:11
Jesus Christ Caesar. This guy just stays fucking.
Elite high school living. Football and fucking.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 03 Oct 2019, 05:48

A Tiger Can Change Its Stripes

Ron jogged to the huddle and knelt in front of his teammates. “Alright, alright. We’re going flex right 78 Wisconsin on two, on two.”

“That’s not the play,” Hasan said.

“That’s not the play,” Ron mocked. He looked at Caesar. “Watch for me. If I see ‘em solo, I’m sending it. Ready?”

The team broke from the huddle and headed to the line of scrimmage for the first play of the new season. Caesar jogged over to his spot and got into his stance.

On the visitors’ side of the field, the Jesuit band tried their hardest to make enough noise to throw Ron off as he went through his cadence. Caesar looked toward the middle of the field as Ron turned his back to him to signal the mike. With the slightest of motions, the quarterback turned an open palm to Caesar and rolled his hand in a circle.

Caesar locked in on the corner defending him. The Jesuit defensive back took a couple steps back to give himself a generous cushion. Ron snapped the ball and Caesar flew off the line of scrimmage.

The defender barely had time to bail out of his backpedal and give chase before Caesar had opened a sizeable gap between them. His hand went up and moments later he saw the ball launched into the air. He watched it into his hands, spotted the safety trying to get over to him and easily accelerated away for the touchdown.

There was a brief pause in the crowd noise before the band struck up the fight song.

“One play! One touchdown! The Terrebonne Tigers get on the board in spectacular fashion with a 75-yard bomb from Ron DeRossi to Caesar Jenkins. Vandebilt fans will be familiar with that connection, but they’ve traded in their blue and gold for crimson and gold and boy oh boy!”

“Hand off goes to Hasan Santiago and he darts up the middle for a huge gain of 27 on the play!”

“DeRossi fires one through the coverage to Noah John and that’s a gain of 15!”

“Runningback-turned-fullback Britton Cazayoux leads the way for Shawntoine Jackson and the Tigers rip off another big gain of 18 thanks to Cazayoux’s blocking! I bet no one saw that one coming!”

“DeRossi fakes to Santiago. He rolls to his right and throws a perfect spiral off one foot to Jenkins for another Terrebonne touchdown! Sound the alarm, ladies and gentlemen! This is not your grandma’s Terrebonne Tigers!”

Coach Hill whistled as Caesar and Ron celebrated on the field. He looked back at his team, already up 13-0 only halfway through the first quarter. “Get me the ball back, defense!” he shouted to any defensive players within earshot.

Devin jogged across the field, following the receiver that had been sent in motion. Jesuit had only run four plays so far on offense and they were all runs. The receiver settled in behind another just as the quarterback snapped the ball.

The guard and the tackle pulled away from the line of scrimmage as Devin was blocked by one of the two receivers.

“Screen!” “Screen!”

Devin fought through the block and avoided getting pancaked by an offensive lineman, but that put him behind the ball carrier. Fortunately, he was able to quickly close the distance as the Jesuit receiver looked for a lane.

Balling his hand into a fist, Devin swung his arm up and punched the ball from behind. It came free and flew up into the air. Trigga, at safety, was the first to dive on the ball when it hit the turf. A pile-up quickly formed, but Devin let himself be hauled away by a lineman instead of dropping into the scrum himself.

The referees ran over and cleared the pile until they found Trigga at the bottom of it, almost in the fetal position, with the ball cradled to his chest.

“And that’s Terrebonne’s football on the Jesuit 37-yard line! It’s just not going well for the Jays tonight!”

“Santiago heads outside on the sweep. Spins around one man and jukes another and he’s into the endzone for an easy touchdown! The Miami native was showing some Louisiana running back moves on that run! 20-0 Terrebonne!”

“Jesuit’s Howard is stacked up at the line of scrimmage by what looks like all 11 Terrebonne defenders and the Jays will be forced to punt again!”

“DeRossi hits Schexnayder and the Tigers and threatening to put this one well and truly out of reach in the first half!”

“Cazayoux with his first carry of the night and he rumbles forward for a gain of six with three men needed to bring him down!”

“Terrebonne sticking on the ground with Jackson up the middle for five.”

“DeRossi takes off on his one and stiff arms and man before going out of bounds after a gain of eight.”

“Jenkins rises up over two men and pulls down the catch, but the referees say that he’s short of the endzone and marks the ball at the one!”

“Jackson punches it into the endzone to make it 28-0 with three minutes left in the half.”

“The kick is up and it’s good. Heading into the locker rooms, it’s Tigers 31 and Jesuit nothing.”

The bowels of Terrebonne’s field house had never experienced half-time celebrations the likes of which it was feeling at that moment. Of course, it had been almost 40 years since Terrebonne had a decent team let alone one that could truly pummel their opponents for 24 minutes.

Coach Hill wasn’t pleased about it though. Ripping his visor off, he stormed into the room and opened his mouth to shout at the team for celebrating too early. “Sit down! All of yo—”

“Can I talk to you for a second, coach?” Coach Thomas asked, putting his hand on the younger man’s chest and all but shoving him toward one of the offices. He closed the door behind them. “I know you aren’t too used to winning, son, but that’s what a good team’s locker room sounds like in moments like this.”

“I think you’re forgetting whose team this is. My team! Will not act like that.”

“Well, coach, let me tell you something. I personally like having a job and if that team.” Thomas pointed over his shoulder at the players. “Is going to make sure that I keep my job and keep putting food on the table then they can act however they want as long as they are putting more points on the scoreboard than the other team.”

“I know my team, and this isn’t it.”

The older coach poked the man in the chest as he spoke. “You knew the losing team you had. Go out there and crack down on those boys from Vandebilt. They’ll lose their momentum and you’ll have for sale signs in your yard when you blow this lead. You don’t shackle up thoroughbreds, son. You let them run.”

Coach Thomas left Coach Hill in the office with his final words. Terrebonne’s head coach looked out of the window at the team, just starting to get instructions from the coaching staff. He shook his head and sighed before pulling his visor back on and heading into the locker room himself.

Devin eyed the quarterback as he went through his cadence. Despite the score, the crowd hadn’t thinned out and was likely drowning out any signals being called to the other players.

The ball was snapped, and Devin dropped back into his zone. He caught the quarterback staring down the tight end running an out and jumped on the route. It was as if the world slowed down as he made his break on the ball. Leather hit his hands as he passed in front of the tight end. The ball bobbled slightly before he was able to tuck it away just as he was taken down by two Jesuit receivers.

Bentley yanked him up to his feet and shouted in his face before hitting him with a headbutt that somewhat knocked him off balance.

“Fuck yeah! Fuck yeah!” the linebacker shouted, smacking Devin in the back of his helmet before jogging off the field.

Devin rubbed the back of his neck as he threw the ball to the referee. He was sure that Bentley spent most of his time high, making the sudden aggression a bit confusing.

“DeRossi takes it himself into the endzone and Terrebonne extends their lead.”

“Gain of 9 from Santiago from second and 4. First down.”

“Jenkins hauls in his seventh catch of the night for a gain of 18 on the play.”

“Terrebonne’s still out here passing. DeRossi finds John who takes that one for 25 yards before being brought down.”

“Another big gain from Santiago who rips off 33 yards.”

“Santiago takes it in for his second touchdown of the night to make it 45-0.”

Caesar stepped back as the ball was snapped and caught the quick pass out to him. Noah set a block on the corner and Caesar turned upfield. One of the safeties came down to make the tackle, but Caesar hit him with a stiff arm and shed the attempt.

He cut toward the middle of the field as the other safety was trying to get an angle on him. The opponent was turning every which way to try to make sure that he was going in the right direction. Instead of making another cut, Caesar simply ran straight toward him and lowered his shoulder into the safety’s side.

He missed a step from the impact, but a quick glance over his shoulder showed he still had some real estate on the pursuing defenders. Putting his head down and pumping his legs, he sprinted toward the endzone.

Adding a little sauce on the run, he turned around and jogged backward across the line with the ball held out toward the Jesuit players.

The referee put his hand on his flag, but shook his head and let the unsportsmanlike conduct go.

Caesar ran in front of the home crowd, mimicking a conductor as the band played the fight song for what felt like the twentieth time that night.

“Thaddeus! Thaddeus!” Coach Hill called on the sideline.

Trigga ran over to him. “Yeah, coach?”

“Warm up. You’re going in at quarterback on the next drive.”

“I don’t have the right pads on, coach.”

Coach Hill grabbed his shoulder pads and turned him toward the south endzone where the scoreboard was. He pointed to the score. “Look at the score, son. I don’t think Ron has any dirt on him. You won’t be getting hit. Just warm up and get out there.”

“Alright, coach. Alright.”

The man watched as his backup quarterback ran off. He looked back at the rest of the team. “Backups, get ready!”

The starters nearby groaned knowing their race had been run.

“Despite calling off the dogs at the end of the third quarter, Terrebonne cruises to a 62-3 victory in the opening game of the season. I don’t have the record books in front of me, but it’s safe to assume that the Tigers just posted their biggest win in decades.”

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 03 Oct 2019, 13:54

Good to see Devin getting his shine on!

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 07 Oct 2019, 18:50

That’s Not How That Works

Caesar stared aimlessly across the quaint dining. The other patrons, middle aged or older and all white, for the most part fit into the aura of the city’s newer country club. However, the 16-year-old cut a stark contrast to them with one elbow folded across the table and the other bent up to hold a glass in front of his face. Even his clothes marked him as different. More expensive, perfectly tailored, but haphazardly thrown on.

His phone vibrated on the table and he looked down to see an unknown 985 number flash across the screen. He almost dropped the glass to reach for it but stopped short when he saw it was just someone already in his phone telling everyone they’d gotten a new number. There was a brief urge to smack the phone off the table in anger, but he held it back.

Two fucking months. Two whole fucking months.

Emma walked up to the side of the table, digging in her clutch. “All done. Did you pay the check?”

Caesar pushed away from the table and laughed to himself as he gathered his phone from the table to drop into his pocket. Placing a hand at the small of her back, he prodded her toward the door.

A rotund man with an ill-fitting suit stood up as Caesar and Emma passed his table. “Is that Caesar Jenkins? Hell of game last night, son. I haven’t seen moves like that since I was putting them on the first Mrs. Lapeyrouse.”

The other men at the table chuckled at the “joke.”

Caesar shook the man’s hand when he offered it. “Thank you, sir. It was a good game for us.”

Jamie Lapeyrouse had held court over Terrebonne Parish for the last three years as the parish’s chief executive – the parish president. Like most well-to-do folks in Terrebonne, he was a benefactor of Vandebilt – despite having graduated from South Terrebonne -- and knew all of the sports stars.

“A Jenkins boy being modest.” He threw an arm around Caesar’s shoulders and turned to the able. “Y’all remember when we were in school with his daddy? He was an annoying little fucker and he knew it!”

“You’re lucky he ain’t go into politics or he’d be parish president,” a second man said.

“And he’s had fewer wives. Would’ve been a landslide,” another one offered.

“Y’all shut your traps,” the parish president said. He looked at Emma by Caesar’s side and gave her a once over. He turned back to Caesar and smiled. “I see, even at a young age, you teach your women to be seen and not heard and I can respect that. Your daddy wouldn’t have, but if you keep that up you might find yourself in Baton Rouge when you decide to stop playing football.”

Emma looked up from her phone and opened her mouth, but Caesar tugged at the back of her dress to stop her.

“I don’t know if politics are my calling, but thanks for the vote of confidence,” Caesar said. He held his hand out again. “Not to make this brief, but there’s some game film that I need to help a teammate look at.”

Lapeyrouse took his hand and practically shoved Emma away as he pulled Caesar closer so he could whisper. “You remember my daughter, Alexis, right? Up at Nicholls?”

Caesar nodded.

“She’s been dating this guy with no future. If you get tired of that one, you give me a call and I’ll set the two of you up. Can’t have my little girl ending up broke and unhappy.”

Caesar pulled away and smiled. “Thanks for the tip, sir.” He looked over at the table. “You gentlemen have a good lunch, now.”

Emma turned to him when they’d gotten out of the door. “What’d he say to you?”

“Investment tips,” he said as he got into his car that the valets had let him park in a spot reserved for the country club’s owner right next to the door.

“I think we should go on a trip with the others in December. We can’t really do the whole senior trip thing because we’re not all the same year,” Emma said from the passenger seat, fixing her hair in the mirror.

Caesar offered a placating acknowledgement as he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel waiting for the light to turn green.

“Somewhere cold though. We can go to a fucking beach any day.” She stopped talking and looked over at him. “Are you listening to me?”

He glanced over at her and nodded. Behind her, he saw someone sitting on the curb outside of the Subway in the shopping center nearby. Flicking his blinker on, he took a quick look over at the traffic and turned into the strip mall, pulling up in front of the store.

“What the fuck are we doing?” Emma asked.

Caesar ignored her and rolled down the window. Scarlett sat on the curb, staring at her phone. “What are you doing sitting out here? Shouldn’t you be slanging sandwiches and wraps?”

Scarlett looked up and then took in his car. “I thought you had a different car?”

“This is the weekend ride.” He shrugged. “So, what are you doing sitting there all pathetic looking? Got fired?”

“No,” she snapped. “It’s just too slow so my manager told me to go home, but I’m waiting for an Uber.”

“You don’t have to wait for an Uber. C’mon. I’ll take you home.”

She fiddled with her phone for a moment. “Are you sure it’s not out of the way?”

“I don’t have shit to do. As long as you don’t live in Theriot, I’ll take you.” Caesar turned to Emma and waved his hand toward the door. “Get out and let her in.”

Scarlett had started to get up but paused when she saw Emma get out of the car. “You know what, I’ll just wait.”

“Just get in the fucking car,” Emma said impatiently.

Scarlett sighed and quickly walked around to the passenger side and slipped into the back of the expensive coupe. Emma slammed the seat back and shut the door with as much anger when he got back into the car.

Caesar turned toward her. “Do you pay anything on this car? Insurance? Maintenance? Even gas?”

“What? No.”

“Then don’t slam my fucking door,” he said as he put the car in drive.”

Scarlett shifted in the backseat at the outburst. “You guys look nice. Where are you coming from?”

“The new country club,” Emma said.

“Oh, I’ve never been.”

“What a surprise.”

Caesar stopped short of a red light and Emma had to throw her hands out against the dashboard to stop her body from going forward.

“My bad,” he said. He looked in the rearview mirror. “Hey, what do you have planned for the day?”

“Me?” Scarlett asked. “Nothing, really. I was expecting to work.”

“Want to come kick it with us? Nothing major. Just the crew hanging out at my place.”

“I don’t know.”

Emma glanced at Caesar, but he kept his eyes on the rearview. She turned around in her seat. “Yeah, you should come. I get tired of the other girls sometimes. It’ll be fun to have someone different around.”

“Well…” Scarlett looked better the two of them.

“Just come for like 15 minutes and if you want to leave after that, I’ll bring you home,” Caesar said.

Scarlett sighed. “Alright.”

As soon as the trio stepped into Caesar’s backyard, Ron appeared at his side and threw an arm around his shoulders. Ron looked over his shoulder at the two girls and tipped a cowboy hat he was wearing toward them.

“You’re late, bro,” Ron said.

“Who the fuck even let y’all back here?” Caesar asked. Francesca, Hollie and Riley laid on loungers near the pool while Bentley and Anthony did their usual of passing a bong between the two of them. Britton and Janelle sat on the patio seemingly in a lovers’ quarrel, speaking in hushed tones.

“We threw Anthony over the fence,” Ron said, laughing.

Caesar snatched the hat from his head and put it on himself. “Trump’s old fence or mine?”

“Hey, just because my dad is still on the Trump Train doesn’t mean I am,” Anthony said from near the pool.

Caesar and Ron made their way to the patio, with Scarlett following behind them. Emma had broken off from the group to walk around to where the other three girls were. She shed the dress she was wearing and casually sat in her underwear. Scarlett felt out of place in her work uniform, but out of place altogether.

Janelle and Britton stopped arguing when the others sat down across from them.

“Scarlett? What are you doing here?” Janelle asked.

“Caesar kidnapped me,” she said.

“How do you even know these guys?”

“Devin plays football with us, remember?” Britton said.

“And Caesar almost got her head taken off by Emma,” Ron said, chuckling as he fetched a bottle of vodka out of a bag at his feet and took a swig from it.

Janelle looked around, seemingly suspicious. “I just didn’t know y’all hung out with Devin. I’ve never seen him around y’all.”

“Because we don’t,” Caesar said. He took the hat off and twirled it around on his fingers. He turned to Scarlett. “Where’s the kid anyway? Shouldn’t he have been around to pick you up from work?”

“He’s in Mississippi visiting a college.”

Caesar laughed. “King’s going on officials? To where? Mississippi Valley? Jackson State?”

“I don’t know. Whatever school is in Starksville.”

“Devin King is not getting recruited by an SEC school even a shit one like Mississippi State. Your man is lying to you.”

“Just because you’d lie to your girlfriend doesn’t mean everyone else does,” Janelle said.

“He sent me pictures from their campus. He’s there,” Scarlett said.

Ron whistled. “Quick riser. Was he even getting letters last year?”

“They’re probably trying to use him to get Santiago or something.” Caesar shrugged. “Might even be trying to get to you, Britton. It’d be a step up from Bentley and Anthony popping up in Hattiesburg. If you can have a step up in Mississippi.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Britton said.

“You might want to make sure he doesn’t stop answering your texts,” Caesar said to Scarlett. “It gets wild on visits.”

“What? Wild? Wild how?”

“Ron ended up with gonorrhea when he visited Florida, and might have a kid or two back in Columbus. Or was it Columbia?”

Ron shoved Caesar before leaning forward so he could see Scarlett. “He’s lying. I didn’t get gonorrhea and don’t have any bastards. Almost, but got lucky.”

“They’re fucking with you,” Britton said. “Every school doesn’t trot out hostesses for their recruits to fuck during visits.”

“SEC schools do though,” Caesar said. “How do you think Mississippi State got Javon Doctson to trade Compton for fucking Starksville? They got their finest white women and let him have at ‘em.”

“What?” Scarlett asked, feeling slightly panicked all of a sudden.

“Scarlett, honey, they’re just being dicks,” Janelle said. “Caesar and Ron would try to find pussy in a nunnery. I’m sure nothing is going on with Devin.”

Scarlett stood up abruptly. She pointed over her shoulder. “Caesar, do you mind if I step inside to make a call?”

Caesar shook his head. “Go ahead.” He started laughing when the door closed behind her.

“You guys are fucking assholes,” Janelle said.

-*****-

Devin hung up his phone and lowered it from his face. He stared at it for a moment, trying to make heads or tails of the strange phone call he’d just received from Scarlett. Shaking his head, he slipped his phone back into his pocket.

“Hey, man. Everything alright?” Stuart, the admissions ambassador that the university had assigned to show him around the campus, asked from the golf cart the two of them had been riding it.

Devin nodded and retook his seat on the passenger side of the cart. “Sorry about that. Just figured I should take the call after three or four missed ones, you know?”

“Totally get it, man. That’s another plus about coming here though. It’s not terribly far from home, right? If something happens back there, you could get home and handle that pretty quickly.”

“It’s like five hours,” Devin said, watching as they passed by people who’d staked out locations on the campus to start tailgating for the game later that night.

Stuart shrugged. “That’s not too bad. Not too bad at all.” He pointed to the buildings they were passing. “This might be my second favorite part of campus. Behind the football stadium, of course. You’ve got Ruby, Hurst, Critz, Nunnelee and Griffis halls all right next to each other. And you aren’t too far from the academic halls either.”

“You live in campus?”

“I used to back when I was a freshman and sophomore. Moved into my frat’s house when I was a junior and never looked back. You planning on pledging? A lot of football players do, but I think it’s called something else for the black guys.”

“I don’t know anything about all that.”

“It makes college life so much better, man. Let me tell you. Though, I know the guys on the team already have their hands full with all of that so all the philanthropy and stuff probably go out the window real quick, you know?”

Devin nodded and continued to watch the people pass as they drove around the campus. A man wearing a bulldog mask stood in the middle of the street with two massive cowbells. He barked at anyone who passed, rang his cowbells and shouted “Hail State!”

“Hail State, baby!” Stuart shouted back, laughing and slapping the roof of the cart. He jabbed his thumb over his shoulder. “That’s Pete. Pete’s wild, man. You’ll get to know him. Graduated back in ‘18. Never misses a game, that guy.”

“What’s up with the cowbells, by the way?”

“Tradition. They say back in the day, we were playing the other Mississippi school and a cow walked on the field. We whupped their ass that day so now we have cowbells. Better than what the guys in Oxford try to put around folks’ necks, huh?” He laughed and jabbed Devin with an elbow, but Devin decided the joke wasn’t all that funny considering.

They rounded a corner and the stadium started to come into view. The majority of the tailgating was taking place there. Devin had seen Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge many times so most college football venues paled in comparison, but he had to admit that the Egg Bowl in Starksville was fairly nice for something out in the sticks.

Stuart pulled the cart to a stop in front of a building near the stadium. A tall black guy with dreadlocks and his right arm in a sling approached them. “This is where our time together ends, man. I hope you liked Mississippi State and that we’ll be welcoming you to the family.” He pointed at the guy. “This is Cordae. He plays for the team, but not tonight obviously. He’ll take care of you from here.”

Cordae dapped up Stuart and looked in the back of the cart. “Y’all ain’t give folk no swag? How he gonna make his mind up if he ain’t got the shit in his face reminding him of his good time here?”

“I got it over here,” Devin said, feeling the need to answer for Stuart. He lifted up the drawstring bag that was between his feet.

“Stop worrying about if we gave him a t-shirt or not and get your ass back on the field,” Stuart said, laughing and tapping Cordae on the arm in the sling.

“Shit. Once I get out this, I still ain’t gonna play because they telling me I’m academically inlegible.”

“Ineligible?” Devin asked.

“That’s what I said, folk. A-kah-dem-I-ca-ly inlegible.”

Stuart turned to Devin. “We have great tutors here, too, especially for our athletes.”

Stuart and Cordae exchanged a few more jabs about Cordae’s lack of playing time before he jogged off toward where the Greek houses were. Cordae hopped in the driver’s seat and smiled at Devin.

“You ready to have the real tour? None of that shit they be showing y’all in them funky ass pamphlets they still hand out like it’s 2013.” He struggled to put the key in the ignition with his left hand but eventually managed.

“Thought it was the game after this?”

“Nah, folk. Game ain’t for another five, six hours. What you gonna do until then? Chill out here with these old white people and they cowbells? I ain’t gonna let you do that, bruh. You gonna remember Starksville.”

Cordae led Devin to a group of people standing around a barbecue pit. He dapped a few of the guys up and hugged the girls hanging around. He brought two girls over to Devin.

“Folk, this here Dani and Vicki,” he said, introducing the two of them. “For the night, you can call ‘em whatever you want. Right ladies?”

They both nodded, smiles on their faces.

“Be easy on, folk, though. Cuh don’t look like he go too hard.” Cordae laughed and walked away to talk to the guy behind the pit.

“So, what you into?” one of them, Dani if Devin remembered correctly, asked. “The quiet ones always got the biggest dicks.”

“My apartment right over there,” Vicki said, pointing over his shoulder. “We don’t have stay out here with all these hard legs.”

Devin shook his head. “Thanks for the offer, but I’m good.”

“What?” Vicki asked, confused.

Devin excused himself and headed over to Cordae. He tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention. “Hey, man. I’m just going to leave and catch a few hours sleep before the game. It’s been tiring running around the campus all day.”

“Vicki stay right there, folk. She’ll let you sleep there, but she might try to keep you up first if you know what I’m saying.” Cordae laughed and smacked Devin on the shoulder. “Them titties real soft if you need a pillow though.”

“I’m good. I’m just going to go. Thanks for showing me around, man,” Devin said as he turned to leave.

“Alright, folk. Hope you enjoyed and turn up here. We gonna be making money moves in the SEC in a couple years. That Hail State elevator going up!” Cordae shouted behind him. A few other students around responded with a “Hail State” of their own.

Devin avoided the death stares Dani and Vicki were sending him as he tried to orient himself so he could find his way back to a main road to call an Uber or make the walk back to the town and his hotel room.

Despite himself, Devin found that he’d gotten wrapped up in the game happening on the field in front of him. The atmosphere was electric even though Mississippi State was squaring off against Eastern Michigan in an early season cupcake game. The sound of cowbells for four quarters would be stuck in his head for days, if not longer.

Fortunately – or unfortunately depending on how you were looking at it – Eastern Michigan had hung with the Bulldogs the entire night and were actually leading by 2 with the game coming to a close. The home team had the ball and the Egg Bowl was bouncing with each yard gained.

State’s quarterback, Freddie Tavai, completed a pass to move the chains. He ran up to the new line of scrimmage barking orders at the team before the referees set the ball.

Devin wrung his hands together, feeling the nerves of everyone in the stadium.

Tavai completed another pass to move the ball closer to the endzone. The clock ticked under 30 seconds and Mississippi State only had a single time out left.

Devin shuffled to the side as reporters and photographers moved down the field to get a better view of the action.

State elected to run the ball to try to catch their opponents off-guard and picked up 7 yards but were forced to call their final timeout.

Tavai took two more shots to the endzone before the Bulldogs were forced to opt for a 56-yard field goal.

The kicker trotted out onto the field and a hush descended over the stadium. The Eagles did the usual of burning a timeout to ice the kicker before allowing him to take the attempt for real. You could hear a pin drop in the stadium as he lined up again.

The ball was snapped. The hold was good. The kick was solid and straight. End over end, it soared through the uprights. And the sound seemed to return to the stadium all at once.

Devin gave a little celebratory fist pump, a temporary Mississippi State fan. Tonight, he’d head back to his hotel and tomorrow, he’d meet with the coaches before heading back to Houma. But whether it was at Mississippi State or somewhere else, he needed to play in games like this.

-*****-

Scarlett sighed. Her Uber was running late. The sun had set long ago after the 15 minutes she’d decided to spend at Caesar’s had turned into hours. Caesar told her he’d take her home when he came back from wherever he went, but that was an hour ago.

She looked around at the others, regretting not leaving when Britton and Janelle did. Bentley and Anthony were passed out in the grass. One of the other girls, Francesca if Scarlett remembered correctly, was wrapped around Ron. The other two were talking amongst themselves. Emma had disappeared with Caesar.

She stood up, keen to find a bathroom. But when she stepped inside the massive house, she realized the only bathroom she knew how to get to was the one in Caesar’s room.

Despite being told multiple times that neither of his parents were home, she quickly made her way to the staircase and ascended the stairs. Hotfooting it down the hall, she came to his room. The door was slightly cracked and she could hear someone inside.

Pushing the door open, she stepped inside but stopped. She’d found Caesar and Emma.

Emma was bent over the bed with Caesar behind her, one hand on her shoulder and the other tangled in her hair. Emma seemed to be really enjoying herself.

Scarlett froze for a moment, not knowing what to do. After a few seconds, she slowly backed out of the room. She hazarded a peek back inside at them, this time lingering a bit longer, before softly shutting the door and heading back down the hall.

Fortunately, she got a text from the Uber driver with perfect timing. Putting her head down, she quickly made her exit.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 07 Oct 2019, 19:52

I truly truly hope Devin gets rid of Scarlett sooner than later. Please build up to that :blessed:

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 08 Oct 2019, 19:21

Hitting that Stride

“Jeff, simple question. Can anyone stop this Terrebonne team? It’s men against boys out there.”

“Mais, short answer, no. Long answer, no. These boys are playing football at a level that public schools in Terrebonne Parish haven’t seen in decades.”

-*****-

“Caesar Jenkins makes the catch and once again the Tigers are on the scoreboard early on in a game through that Ron DeRossi-Caesar Jenkins connection that may be the best QB-WR duo that the state of Louisiana has ever seen. Wait, where is Jenkins going?”

Caesar ran off the field to the sideline where the cheerleaders were going through the fight song routine. He grabbed an extra set of pom poms that were on the ground and joined them with his own version of high kicks and shouting “go Tigers” much to the delight of the crowd and the chagrin of the coaching staff who tugged by to the sideline.

“Ooooh boy. It’s always a show with Caesar Jenkins, ladies and gentlemen!”

-*****-

A young man wearing an Arizona cap and polo approached Devin as he made his way to the parking lot following a long practice. The man smiled and reached his hand out as soon as the two of them were within earshot of each other.

“Devin King. I’ve come a long way to meet you, son,” he said as Devin gripped his hand. “Grant Hanley, U of Arizona. You ever thought about playing ball in Flagstaff? I know it’s not the usual destination for you Louisiana boys, but we got the same heat.”

“Isn’t this where you’re supposed to say ‘but it’s a dry heat?’” Devin asked. He hitched his duffel bag up on his shoulder, uncomfortable by the eyes of his teammates watching him talk to the recruiter.

Hanley laughed. “I figured you were tired of hearing that. I’m going to level with you, Devin. We want you in blue and red, but not only that, we have three senior corners this year. One more guy who’s going to be a junior. I’m not here to tell you that you’re going to play two, three years down the road. I’m here to tell you that you can come in and start, day one, if you work hard enough.”

“I heard you guys were going to be moving back to the Pac-12.”

“Don’t know anything about that, but with all these green types calling the shots, I think we’ll be stuck in the Mountain West for travel purposes for now. Doesn’t matter. We send guys to the NFL just the same. You want to play in the league, right?”

Devin shrugged. “Of course, I do. I don’t think anyone out here doesn’t think they’re going to get to the NFL and be All-Pro.”

“Everyone else might think it,” Hanley said before putting his hand on Devin’s shoulder. “But you, son, you’re going to get there. And Arizona is going to give you the opportunity to do just that. Coach wants to bring you out for a visit when we play Nevada in a couple weeks.”

“Yeah?”

The man nodded and pulled a card from his pocket. “My personal number’s on there. Give me a call if you decide you want to come out and we’ll set up the logistics for you and your family. And loosen up, kid. You’re turning heads out there.”

“Thanks.”

Devin stared at the card for moment before the sound of a car horn jolted him into motion and out of the street. His phone vibrated in his bag. Reaching for it, he found a text from Scarlett asking if he had time to hang out with her.

He sighed and tapped back an apology before offering to swing by her place after he got off from work.

-*****-

“Third and very long for New Iberia. Danny Thibodeaux drops back and is searching for his receivers. There’s quick pressure in his face and he’s flushed out of the pocket. He gets the ball away just before getting hit and – IT’S PICKED OFF! DEVIN KING HAS IT! King makes the first man misses and takes it back up the field before being brought down at the Yellowjackets’ 38-yard line.”

Devin stumbled to his feet under a barrage of slaps to the back and helmet as he made his way to the sideline.

Coach Detiveaux was the first one to meet him when he got there. Grabbing him by the jersey, the coach smacked the top of his helmet. “Way to make the play, Devin. Way to make the play!”

-*****-

“Fuck, man. They forgot to put the sauce in the bag, again. I don’t know why we keep coming here.” Anthony said, tossing an empty fast food bag over the backseat of Britton’s SUV.

“Because Britton thinks the chick at the window with the gauges that look like you could fit your fist through is cute,” Ron said as he sipped from a cup of tea.

Britton put the vehicle in park. “Just go in there and get some fucking sauce, man. It’s not that hard. Use the feet God gave you.”

“He does have a point,” Caesar added.

Anthony closed one of the three boxes of nuggets he’d bought and looked around at his friends, all seemingly waiting for him to get out. Shaking his head, he threw open the door and headed for the restaurant.

“Should’ve took the bag so he had something to hold all the damn sauce he wants in,” Britton said.

“You know he isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer,” Ron said. “Bentley is the brains of that duo. Little as it may be.”

“Good point.”

Britton put the SUV in reverse and pulled out of the spot. He pulled slowly away from the restaurant, watching behind him through the review mirror. Anthony walked back out with a bag in his hand. Britton waited until he reached for the door handle then let his foot off the brake. He did it two more times before Caesar and Ron noticed and started laughing.

Giving up, Anthony didn’t reach for the handle so instead Britton just pulled off altogether. Anthony ran behind them as Britton slowed down and sped up to tease him. Finally, Britton stopped. But Anthony’s feet didn’t get the message and he slipped on the pavement.

Britton, Ron and Caesar were choking on laughter as Anthony dragged himself into the seat.

He looked at them and then held up the bag. “Didn’t drop my fucking sauce though.” Then he joined in on the laughter.

-*****-

“Santiago takes the handoff and bounces it to the outside. A couple of defenders wrap him up and it loo—Wait! He broke free and reverses the field. He picks up a couple blocks and is off to the races. 40, 30, 20, 10, 5. Touchdown Tigers! What a run! What a run!”

Hasan jogged over to the sideline where he and Bart went through an elaborate handshake routine that the two runningbacks had been practicing.

-*****-

“He can’t just change the fucking plays whenever he feels like! This isn’t a video game where you can put it on easy mode and get 1,000 yards with your best player!” Coach Hill threw his clipboard down on his desk as his staff filed into the office.

“He’s the quarterback. What do you want him to do? Read the defense and shrug his shoulders and throw interceptions because you didn’t tell him to do that?” Coach Perkins said, lifting his visor to scratch his forehead.

Coach Rodriguez gave him a shove. “Stay in your lane. Quarterbacks ain’t none of your business.”

“We’re winning aren’t we?” Perkins snapped back.

Hill slammed his hands on the desk to stop their argument. He looked at Coach Thomas. “You’re going to talk to Ron and tell him that he needs to vary his audibles but stick to the plays I send in. When we get to district play that throwing to Caesar half time shit is going to get us killed.”

“Let me get this straight. You want to rein in Ron and Caesar because you don’t like how we’re winning?” Coach Thomas asked.

“We’re not a throw 60 times a game team. Period.”

“No wonder this team was so bad,” Perkins said.

“Watch your fucking mouth!” Coach Detiveaux shoved the other coach and this time, a shoving match was sparked as the coaching staff shouted insults at one another about how the team should be run.

-*****-

“DeRossi is flushed out of the pocket for the first time tonight. He’s keeping his eyes downfield. Evades a rusher. Steps up and throws a beauty of a pass downfield. And who’s on the other end of it? None other than his favorite target, Caesar Jenkins! Touchdown Terrebonne! New Iberia is getting torn apart by this high-powered offense!”

-*****-

Devin struggled to keep his eyes open as a documentary played on the screen at the front of the class. He’d taken to dropping a pen against the desktop in hopes that movement would be the key to doing so. There was only so many times someone could go through a sex ed course before it started to go in one ear and out the other.

And considering the teen pregnancy problem at Terrebonne, it had always been something that wasn’t committed to memory.

Fortunately, he was granted a reprieve as the bell rung. The teacher stood up from her desk and started to drone on about what the next day’s lesson would entail, but she knew that no one was paying attention to her.

Devin joined the flow of students moving through the dimly lit halls of the school. Over the last few months, he’d noticed that he’d gained a couple inches on the other students and was starting to be able to see over most of their heads. A plus when it was almost too dark to see what was right in front of you.

Two girls in Tigerettes jackets shoved their way to either side of him. They both smiled up at him. He’d, of course, seen them before, but he didn’t really know them.

“Hey, Devin,” the one on his right, a girl with caramel skin, said.

“Hey, Devin,” the blonde white girl with a tad too much makeup on on his left repeated.

“Heeeeeey, y’aaaaaalll?” Devin said, but it came out as more of question since he didn’t know their names. He had half a thought to turn them around so he could see the names that were embroidered on the backs of those jackets.

They seemingly ignored the fact he didn’t know their names.

“Homecoming’s coming up. You got a date?” the blonde asked.

Devin shook his head and laughed, scratching at the back of his neck. “Can’t say I really do the whole dance thing. It’s never been my scene.”

“You’re a junior. You only have 4 more high school dances before you graduate and the best parties are always after homecoming and prom. You can’t not do the dance thing,” the black girl said.

“Don’t really do parties either.”

“Well, we’ll just have to get you out of the house, won’t we?”

“You should come to Blake’s this Friday after the game. I don’t think it’ll be anything big, but it should be fun!” blondie said.

Devin had no idea who Blake was, but he saw the top of Scarlett’s head waiting at the end of the hall for him and figured he should probably wrap it up. “Yeah, sounds like a good time. Just let me know.”

“Don’t flake on us, Devin. I know someone knows where you live. I’ll drag you out of bed myself,” the black girl said with a wink.

They stepped in front of him as he slipped out of the crush of students to stand in front of Scarlett. She followed the two girls with her eyes before acknowledging Devin.

“Spicy chicken day. Ready to brave the horrors of the cafeteria for mediocre chicken patties?” he asked her.

She nodded slowly then abruptly wrapped her arm around his as they started walking again. “Sure. Mediocre might be exaggerating though.”

-*****-

“HUGE hit by Bentley [insert last name here] on the play and East Ascension will be forced to punt the ball away for the third consecutive drive. A lot is said about how good this Terrebonne offense is, but through almost ten quarters of play, the defense has only given up six points. But when the offense is average over 50 points a game, it’s no surprise who is getting the accolades.”

-*****-

“You want to spend how much money to schedule a football game?”

Deion Jenkins leaned forward and put his finger next to a figure on one page of a thick contract. “That much, with that many zeroes.”

Three men sat across from him. Terrebonne’s principal, Scottie Guedry, Terrebonne’s athletic director and basketball coach, Sam Jackson, and the school district’s chief administrative officer, Devin King.

“Like I said,” Deion continued. “It’s not just one football game. It’s a showcase. Texas against Louisiana. The Bayou Battle. I have a lot of friends in Texas with deep pockets and I have a lot of friends in Louisiana with deep pockets. We all talk a lot of shit about who is better. This gives our kids an opportunity that most high school athletes will never have. To face off against kids in another state.”

Scottie Guedry laughed. “That’s all well and good, but why is Terrebonne even one of the schools? You’ve got West Monroe, Zachary, Karr, Kentwood, Catholic – and Terrebonne. One of those things is not like the others.”

“His kid’s at Terrebonne,” Devin King said.

“So is yours. This will be the only chance he gets to play this level of competition. Let him end his football career on a high note,” Deion said.

The basketball coach and AD pushed his glasses up on his nose as he scanned the contract. “Well, I got another question. Most of these games are at the Cajundome because five of the teams are from Houston and that’s, I’m guessing, midway. Our game would be in Shreveport against a team out of Dallas?”

“Yes. Euless Trinity. It’s all in the contract. The group putting this challenge together is fronting all the travel and lodging. All you need to do is put the boys on a bus in Houma, make sure they get to Shreveport, let them play a football game, and then make sure they get home.”

“What’s so important about this Euless Trinity that you couldn’t find a sixth Houston area school? Do you have another kid there or something?” Guedry asked, chuckling.

“I take offense to that. I’d never cheat on my wife. I just want the country to see my son go up against a Texas powerhouse so he can show them he belongs in the pros.”

Devin King shrugged and turned to the two Terrebonne administrators. “It’s up to you two. If you decide this is something you want to bring before the board and that you want to happen, I’ll make sure the superintendent pushes it through.”

-*****-

“DeRossi finds Noah John on the slant for the easy touchdown and the All-State signal caller has known thrown a touchdown to all three of his starting receivers, and he’s definitely putting on a show for the scouts and fans in attendance. Too bad, the young man has been pretty resolute about his commitment to TCU because I know a school in Baton Rouge that could use him. But that makes it 38-7 Terrebonne here in the third quarter.”

-*****-

“I just don--”

Tiffany stopped talking as Caesar casually sat down at the table with her, Erin and Scarlett. He held out the bag of almonds in his hand to each of them in offering, but they all just stared at him as if he’d grown a third eye.

“Are you lost?” Erin asked him.

Caesar shrugged as he poured almonds into his hand. “I’m a social butterfly. I need to move around and spread my wings. Besides, it’s not like I don’t know all of y’all. Two of you, a little differently than I know the other one.”

“We don’t bring that up,” Tiffany said.

“Shame. So, what do we talk about? Just go back into whatever conversation y’all were having and treat me like your gay BFF. We can braid each other’s hair and everything. I love a good mani, too.” He wiggled his fingers for effect.

“Isn’t that like a thing? For football players to get manicures?” Erin asked.

“Might be. I wear gloves when I’m playing though. Helps the ol’ grip.”

Scarlett rubbed her temples and groaned. “Can we not talk about football? I wouldn’t mind if football was banned right now. It’s such a dumb game.”

“Whoa, whoa,” Caesar said, holding his hand up. “You’re going to take that back. God made man, and God made football. God made football so man could properly express himself. God’s creations are beautiful. Therefore, football is beautiful.”

“You’re not even religious.” Scarlett scoffed.

Tiffany shook her head. “Don’t mind her. She’s just mad that Devin’s always doing some football shit instead of hanging out with her.”

“Always doing football shit? What the fuck is he doing? Going back to the field after everyone else leaves?” Caesar asked.

“Your guess is as good as mine! It’s just stupid. He’s either playing football, at work or going to some stupid recruiting thing. It was much better before,” Scarlett whined.

“Not trying to be all in your business, but it’s not like y’all did anything before.”

“Yes, we did do stuff before.”

“He’s talking about sex, Scarlett,” Erin said.

Caesar nodded. “If it’s just shit like being taken out to fancy dinners or whatever, which I doubt because King’s broke, but I can take care of that for you if you just want to be wined and dined and make you some social media memories.”

“What?” Scarlett asked.

“Where do you want to go? Commander’s Palace? Tsunami? Drago’s? My treat. We can go tonight and I’ll get separate hotel rooms for us if it’s too late.”

“You should do it, Scar. Live a little,” Tiffany said.

Scarlett looked to Erin, expecting her to be the voice of reason, but she only shrugged.

“That’d be cheating,” Scarlett said.

Caesar shrugged and poured himself another handful of almonds. “Only if you get caught.”

-*****-
“East Ascension are still running their offense despite being down 59-10 here in the waning seconds of this blowout. They can hang their hat on the fact that they’re the first team this season to put double digits up on this behemoth of a Terrebonne outfit.

“DeAndre Jackson drops back and there’s already pressure in his face. He throws a blind pass to the flats. It’s picked off by King! King’s taking it the other way and it’s a foot race that he doesn’t look like losing. The 30, the 20, the 10, the 5, touchdown! Pick six, Devin King! Terrebonne extends their lead to a staggering 55 points and puts the exclamation mark on their third win of the year.

“Head coach Danny Hill, a man who has averaged less than a win a year in almost two decades at Terrebonne, suddenly has an undefeated team that is purring like a well-oiled sports car. Three weeks into the season and the Tigers have already eclipsed their win total from last year.”

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 09 Oct 2019, 02:08

#FuckScarlett continues. Team Devin deserves better until I die.