War of the Roses: Redux Edition

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 07 Feb 2020, 23:58

I’m Not the One

The pass sailed over everyone’s heads and bounced harmlessly against the turf, rolling into the endzone before coming to a stop. Coach McCoy stared at the ball as if he wasn’t sure he’d seen what had actually happened. He scratched his forehead and turned back to Danny.

“Kid, you’re nervous. It’s practice. Spring practice at that. Ain’t nobody gonna hit you. I need you to settle in and hit these throws,” the coach said.

“Or give all these reps to Freddie who can actually hit water from a boat,” Caesar said under his breath.

The former JV quarterback, who hadn’t actually transferred as the rumors had foretold, looked up. And if Freddie heard Caesar’s quip then Coach McCoy had as well.

The Texan pivoted toward Caesar. “You don’t ever shut your mouth, do you? I don’t know if you know how this works, but you’re a receiver. And receivers need someone to throw them the ball. Danny is going to be the guy throwing you the ball so I suggest you stop flapping your gums so damn much.”

The rest of the receivers shifted nervously at the thought of the rising sophomore being the starter at quarterback. All except Jurgen who didn’t know a good quarterback from a bad one. Danny had missed most of his throws that practice, and the one before that.

But McCoy persisted with the guy that he’d seemingly already settled on.

“Let’s just keep everything simple then. Everything doesn’t need to be a 50-yard bomb, right?” McCoy said, smacking Danny on his back. “Jurgen, give him a slant and catch it with your hands instead of your chest this time.”

Jurgen glanced at Caesar as he walked to the yard line that Danny was standing on. Caesar held up three fingers – the number of steps he was to take before cutting.

Coach McCoy noticed the exchange between the two receivers, but didn’t say anything. Instead, he brought his whistle to his mouth and blew it. Jurgen ran the route, correctly, and easily caught the short pass from Danny.

McCoy clapped and nodded his head. “Good, good. But next time, make sure you keep all your cleats in the ground. Let’s do that again.”

They went through more routes of increasing distance. Danny was fine hitting the short routes. He was decent hitting the medium routes. He was hit or miss on the deep routes. But he overthrew every, single pass to Caesar.

On the last rep, Caesar stopped running when he saw the ball would fly over his head. He whistled as he bounced ten yards away from him. He walked back to the group.

McCoy looked at him and waved his head. “Go ahead. You know you have something to say so get it out so we can all get on with our lives.”

“You won’t hear a peep from me, coach,” Caesar said, holding his hands up. “I just need to grow another three feet overnight so I can start reeling those in.”

“You want to coach the team, Jenkins? You seem to think you have all the answers.”

“All yours, coach.”

McCoy nodded. “You’re right on that one thing. But I feel like your mouth is doing more running than your feet so why don’t you go run a few stadiums?”

Caesar threw his hands up. “Really? For that?”

Coach McCoy said nothing to Caesar, but turned his back to him and started instructing Danny on what needed to be done for him to hit throws deeper down the field.

Caesar snapped off his chin strap and walked toward the bleachers to begin running for the umpteenth time as punishment from Terrebonne’s new coach.

“I don’t get all this stuff you have on here,” Jurgen said as he held up the playbook for Caesar to see what he was talking about.

Caesar pointed to the gibberish he’d written on the page. “That’s a ‘must’ outside release. You’re just dragging the guy away from the play. If you are inside of the corner, he’ll be able to cover you and the out. And that’s a pick six all day with Danny’s ass at quarterback.”

The two of the them looked over to Danny, only a few lockers down. The freshman seemed to be pretending that he hadn’t heard them as he shoved his things into his bag. The force with which he was placing the items in the bag, though, gave him away.

“And this?” Jurgen asked, pointing to another diagram.

He squinted and took the playbook from Jurgen. He laughed when he realized what he had written. “That’s some girl’s social shit. I don’t think I’m going to do anything with that though. You can hit her up if you want.”

“I don’t know her, though.”

“It won’t matter. Just shoot her a message. I think her name’s Lauren or something. If she was trying to get at me, then she’s for everybody.”

“For everybody?”

Danny shoved past them on the way of the locker room, but Caesar called after him. Danny turned around.

“Man, why don’t you do us all a favor and go play tennis before the summer so we have time to get a real quarterback back there?” Caesar asked. A few of the other players within earshot looked around, glancing between Caesar and Danny.

The young quarterback only shook his head and left the locker room.

-*****-
“I feel bad for that lil’ nigga, man. McCoy throwin’ him in with the sharks out there. He should be tryin’ to give the job to one of the upperclassmen,” Hasan said. He and Devin were walking to the parking lot, destined for another night at work. Danny walked a few dozen feet in front of them. They were fairly certain he lived near the school somewhere.

“If coach thinks that he’s the one who is going to give the team the best chance to win in the fall, then who am I to say that he’s doing the wrong thing? Maybe he sees something in Danny that we’re all missing.”

“He never talks. How you gonna be a quarterback that never opens his mouth? We gonna be in the huddle lookin’ at him and he’s just gonna be up there mute like one of them mines.”

“Don’t you mean a mime?”

“That’s what I said.”

“You said mine. Like the things you step on that blow your legs off, not the people with white face paint that are annoying.”

“I said mine, nigga. I don’t know why you always gotta make shit so difficult.”

Devin held his hand up. “Alright, man. Mine it is. I hope the EOD comes out soon to deal with them. I really don’t think the guy is going to freeze up in the huddle though. It’s not like he’s never played a game of football before.”

“He ain’t never played varsity high school ball. If we gotta go down to South Lafourche again next year, you think he’s going to make it out of there alive? Shit most of us almost ain’t make it out of there alive last year.”

“I say give the kid a chance. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“A 0-10 season.”

Devin shrugged. “It’s high school football. There are worse things that can happen in the world than losing every game.”

“You need to go get checked. Who the fuck alright with losing every game?”

The two of them let the conversation drop at that point. They came upon Ron sitting on the wheel stop in front of his car. Their old quarterback looked when they got near enough to him.

“How’s it going, fellas? Still surviving the new regime?” Ron asked.

“Somethin’ like that,” Hasan said. And he kept walking toward Devin’s car.

“Hey, Devin. Let me run something by you real quick.” Ron stood up, brushing gravel from his pants and wiping it off his hands.

Devin stopped, setting his bag down. He held up a single finger to Hasan when he turned around and noticed that Devin wasn’t following him.

“Have you cut your list down yet?” Ron asked.

Devin shook his head. “I don’t even have a list. I couldn’t tell anyone who is or isn’t in my top three or five or whatever. I figured I’d decide on that after the season. When I have time to think about all of that, you know?”

“I hate to break it to you, man, but that’s way too late to start thinking about where you’re going to commit. You need to know where you are going and when you are going long before the early signing period. Schools want to know who they have coming in before the new year in case they need to make some late runs at guys.”

“Yeah, that makes sense.”

“I’m going to be honest with you,” Ron said, looking over his shoulder at Hasan who was leaning against Devin’s car. “Coach Griffin up at TCU is trying to get a pipeline into New Orleans. Sees Houma as the way in because it’s close but not heavily recruited by the big boys. He knows Caesar’s going to Oklahoma State so you’re the next man on the list.”

“Doesn’t TCU have three freshman corners?”

“Ah, ah, ah! I thought you didn’t do on any research on these schools. Doesn’t mean anything if you’re the best man for the job.”

“They haven’t sent me anything, called, emailed. Nothing like that.”

“It’s coming. You just need to give it some thought. We’re going to win a National Championship or two so it’ll be a grand ol’ time. Call it a hunch,” Ron said, shrugging. “They’re probably going to be at that game in Shreveport, since Euless is in their zone. Make sure you put on a show and you might get the keys to a castle.”

Ron patted Devin on the shoulder and walked away, shouting at Caesar who’d just walked into the parking lot with Jurgen, Bentley and Anthony.

Devin headed for his car, reaching for his keys.

“Hurry up, nigga. We gonna be late and Ralph been on our ass about that shit like he don’t know we play football or some shit.”

“You’re turning into a company man,” Devin said as he unlocked the doors. “What’s he going to do? Fire us?”

“Fuck you. I like my lil’ check.”

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 08 Feb 2020, 17:40

The dynamic between Coach and Caesar is intense, I fuck with it. I require more, family.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 08 Feb 2020, 20:39

Why's coach in love with the worst qb?

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 11 Feb 2020, 14:25

The Brother I Never Wanted

Devin walked out of the bathroom, toothbrush hanging out of his mouth, and headed to his bedroom. It’d been another long day of work and all he wanted to do was go to sleep. His reprieve from the practice-work grind was running out and he was committed to making the most of it before the dog days of summer.

"Devin, come here!” His father called.

He sighed and headed for the kitchen where his parents were sitting with a couple of their friends, likely from church or fellow teachers, and one of their kids. Devin looked at the boy sitting at the table. He was a walking stereotype and not in a good way. From his glasses to his shirt buttoned to the collar, he just screamed ‘someone once tried to jam me in a locker like movies from a hundred years ago.’

“Yeah?” Devin asked, leaning against the counter.

“Dorothy and John were just telling us that Bernard was just accepted to Morehouse,” Devin’s mother said. “You should really think about attending an HBCU, especially one like Morehouse. I think it would be really beneficial.”

“I could tell you about my visit there if you want?” Bernard asked. “It was a real eye opener.”

Devin shook his head. “Morehouse is what? Division II? Division III? NAIA? Do they even have a football team? I’m not going there. Thanks for the offer, though.”

“That’s not even relevant in picking a university,” his father said. “Morehouse is a well-respected school. Whether or not they have a football team doesn’t diminish that. You should really apologize for what you just said.”

“I’m about to be a senior. I play football. That’s what I do. That’s how I’m going to get into a good school. If the school doesn’t have a football team, that’s a problem. I don’t know why we keep having to have this conversation.”

Devin could see the other family fidget uncomfortably as if they knew an argument was coming. They thanked his parents for dinner and got up and left. Devin’s mother walked them out, but his father hung back with his hands in his pockets.

“That was extremely rude and flippant of you, Devin,” he said. “I hoped that talking to Bernard would knock some sense into you since you only have one year left to get your life on the right track.”

“Right track? You always talk like I have six fucking kids and a rap sheet a mile long. All I do is play football, go to school, go to work, and hang out with a few friends. Considering the shit some of the guys I know from school get up to, you should be pretty fucking happy with how I'm turning out.”

“You’re going to watch your mouth when you speak to me.”

His mother walked back into the kitchen. “Devin, we just want what’s best for you. Your father and I don’t want you to end up like your grandfather. We hope that you understand where we are coming from. If not, you’ll understand when you’re older.”

“Why we do keep having this same conversation every couple weeks? I don’t know what it’s going to take for y’all to get off my damn back.” Devin stood up straight. “I do not have the grades to get into an amazing school. Maybe that’s my fault, maybe it’s not. But I can get into these big schools playing football and I’ll get a degree just like Bernard.”

“Or you’ll end up like your grandfather. Broke and dumb,” his father snapped.

“I think I already have the cautionary tale down. Thanks, though.”

His mother raised her hands. “Alright, let’s just calm down for a moment.” She turned to Devin. “Devin, we just want what’s best for you. We don’t know how football is still legal after all these years and all those issues with CTE. It’s just not a wise life decision.”

Devin shook his head. “Well, y’all don’t have to support me. I’ll manage to make a way.”

He walked out of the kitchen, ignoring the angry calls of his parents to not walk away from them. Slipping his feet into his shoes, he grabbed his phone and keys from the nightstand in his bedroom and left the house.

He didn’t start his car as he sat in the driver’s seat. He didn’t know whether to be angry or disappointed. For the most part, he felt neither. He just was.

His entire family made playing football out to be some kind of curse simply because Devin King, Jr. didn't make it as far as he expected. It was lost on him why that had to be his fate in the game as well.

Tapping out a quick text to Carla, he turned over the engine and pulled out of the driveway.

“Fucking Morehouse,” he muttered to himself as he drove off into the night.

-*****-

Ron poured the contents of two bottles of vodka into a ten-gallon hat that Caesar was holding. The party-goers close enough to see them watched on with gleeful anticipation. Ron shook the last bits of liquid out of the bottles and tossed them aside.

“Chug, motherfucker!” he shouted.

Caesar tipped the hat up to his mouth, wasting more of the vodka than he drank. After a bit too much and amid a chorus of cheers, he handed the hat over to Ron who drank the rest of what was in the hat before plopping it on his head.

Ron threw his arm around Caesar’s shoulders and eyed a pair of girls. They both noticed Ron’s gaze and smiled. He started to drag his friend along with him before a hand caught Caesar’s arm.

Ron looked over his shoulder. “Oh shit, almost forgot about that.”

“Of course, you did,” Kaley said, rolling her eyes.

“Go on, man. I’ll hold down the fort,” Caesar said. He started to walk back to a chair and stumbled a bit. Kaley leaned against him to shove him upright.

“Don’t have to tell me twice. YEEEEEE-HAW!” He whipped the hat off his head and waved it around. “Riding ’em bareback tonight!”

Caesar laughed. Kaley shook her head.

“He’s really getting into the whole cowboy thing, huh?” Kaley asked.

“He’s going to Fort Worth, Texas. It’s either that or being a steer or a queer. He might be trying to overcompensate for being one of those, though.”

Caesar plopped down onto a lounger. Kaley went to sit down in a chair next to him, but he wrapped his arm around her waist and led her to sit between his legs.

“I was trying to avoid the death stares that I’ve been getting all night, you know?” Despite her protests, she settled back against his chest. “I didn’t know you were this popular with all the ladies of Houma.”

He laughed. “Maybe it’s because you have one of those faces that just makes people not like you.”

“And what exactly does that mean?”

“Most of them are going to be housewives. Sure, they might go to college and shit but best case, they’ll be nurses or teachers. You have that ‘I’m a cutthroat bad bitch with goals’ look going on.”

She swung her hand back and swatted at him, but he moved his head. “Cutthroat? Aren’t you supposed to be able to charm the underwear off a nun?”

“That’s a compliment! The vibe you give off. It’s intimidating. Guys do it, too. They’re checking you out but you’re with me so they know they don’t have a chance. But power couples are a thing for a reason and it ain’t because strong-willed people are attracted to weak-willed people.”

Kaley didn’t say anything in response as she scanned the faces of all the people at the party. She felt out of place. As far as she could tell, all of these people were from Houma or nearby. She suspected that the stares had more to do with Caesar not being known to be a one-woman guy.

“Can you hand me that bottle of whiskey on that table?” Caesar asked, pointing out in front of her.

“No, you’re slowing down for the rest of the night. I don’t want to literally have to deal with whiskey dick.”

“That’s fu—Wait, we fucking?”

She shrugged and said no more.

Caesar walked out of the house and found Ron sitting next to the pool. The party had died long ago, but somehow, he’d managed to keep hold of his hat throughout it. Caesar sat down next to him and took the beer bottle that Ron offered him. He took a swig from it before giving it back.

“You know what I realized?” Ron asked, staring off across the yard as he drank what was left of the beer and threw the bottle in the pool.

“That you make life hard on your pool guy?”

Ron seemingly ignored what Caesar said as he continued. “All of these people, man. They don’t understand. Not even the guys, you know? The two of us, we grew up differently. We basically raised ourselves. The motherfuckers who were here tonight, they wouldn’t have done this shit. Too afraid mommy or daddy would find out. I don’t even know where my dad is. I have a vague idea where my mom is. And if they came home and saw this? They wouldn’t care.”

“I’m not drunk enough for this shit, man. It’s like four in the morning and you’re having a life crisis a couple weeks before leaving for Texas?”

“Shut up and listen for once damn. You know we’re fucked up, right? Feral children. Handed unlimited funds, but nothing else. I had sex with at least three different girls tonight. Man, you remember the first time Britton’s mom found out him and Janelle were fucking? She flipped all the way out.”

“Yeah, that shit was crazy. She was going around leaving condoms everywhere like they were having sex all over town.”

Ron took the hat off his head. He looked down into it. “When I get a kid, hopefully not one that I made fucking some random chick, I’m going to all of their fucking shit ass t-ball games. All the flag football peewee games because he’s too much of a pussy for tackle. All of the dumb ass things that won’t matter when they hit 14 or 15. I don’t want my kid to grow up like we did.”

Caesar nodded, but didn’t say anything.

“Don’t fuck shit up with Kaley. I’m not telling you to marry her ass, but don’t fuck it up.” Ron dropped the hat into the water. It floated out to the middle of the pool. “I’ve known you for years and she’s the only one who doesn’t look at you like she’s plotting on how to get to the Jenkins riches. And your ass down here with me instead of with her. Dumb ass.”

“What the fuck did you drink that has you thinking you’re a sage or something?”

Ron shook his head and got up to his feet. “I don’t know what real family is. Not like other people anyway. You’re a piece of shit, sometimes, but you’re my brother. One I never fucking wanted, but I love you the same. I’m calling it a night.”

“See you in the a.m., man,” Caesar said as Ron headed back to the house. Caesar sat by the pool for another few minutes before heading back himself.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 11 Feb 2020, 16:09

Damn, that shit was low-key deep. Ron finally gained a conscience.

djp73

Post by djp73 » 11 Feb 2020, 19:59

:yep:

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 16 Feb 2020, 21:27

Back to Work

“’Pitchers and catchers report’ might get baseball fans’ pulses racing, but for fans of America’s actual pastime – high school football – the first day of summer camp is what reminds us that life is worth living and better days are ahead. The 2052 season promises to be a good one with a lot of interesting stories down all seven bayous. Now, I’m going to let you all in on a little secret. When we were planning this podcast a month ago, we were going to start our preseason reports at the bottom of 5A’s District 7 with Central Lafourche but after spring practices, we just can’t do that. Can we, Jeff?”

“Definitely not, sha. Not when you got that new coach at Terrebonne giving a kid who’s thrown 80 passes in two years of junior high ball most of the snaps with the first team. I know every coach does things differently, but this the definition of a cooyon. They’re the district champs!”

“Right on that, my friend. Eagle eyed scouts, aka Old Renee from down Theriot, tells us that Pierce McCoy essentially has sophomore quarterback Daniel Williams pinned for the starting job already. It was never going to be easy to replace Ron DeRossi. Just go and look up what he’s doing up at TCU in summer practice. But you have junior Freddie Mitchell and senior Keilan Ward, who I know both played JV last year, but you also have juniors Marshall Babin and Ashton Arcenaux. It just doesn’t make sense.”

“Not at all. Houma Junior High has had a five play playbook for the last 70 years. Iso right, iso left, toss right, toss left, and a play action pass with short routes. Williams might be a good quarterback, but there is a reason Houma Junior High can do that and win their district every year. They have high school freshmen playing against 7th and 8th graders. The kid threw four touchdown passes in his career so far! Four! You can’t tell me that 20 touchdowns in junior varsity high school ball aren’t better than four touchdowns in junior high ball.”

“Well, let’s go over what we know about Coach McCoy to give our listeners some background. He’s a young guy. Just turned 30 in December. Former college football quarterback at Texas A&M, started for three years. Fate would not smile down on him as he got into a car accident on the way to rookie camp in the CFL, ending his career. He went back to Texas A&M as a GA. One year there, two years at Texas State as a passing game coordinator. Two years back at Texas A&M as a quarterbacks coach and two years at Texas as a quarterbacks coach before taking over at Terrebonne.”

“Sounds like a bit of a boy wonder.”

“Certainly does. But why hasn’t he gone up on the coaching ladder? No disrespect to Terrebonne. Surely the QB coach for NFL first round pick, Malcolm Littleton, could find an offensive coordinator job somewhere in the world.”

“So, he’s coached an NFL QB but is choosing Danny Williams over anyone else? In other words, the whole situation doesn’t make sense.”

“None of it.”

-*****-
Coach McCoy stood in the center of the field with his arms folded over his chest as his quarterbacks repeatedly simulated taking snaps, rolling out to their right and throwing the ball down field on the run. All five of them had things they needed to work on. But it was already obvious what the pecking order should be. It wasn’t his pecking order though.

He marched over to them and stopped the drill before the next rep.

“None of you are staring down the barrel. Just because your legs are moving one way doesn’t mean your shoulders can’t move a different way.” He sighed when he got five confused looks in return. He grabbed Danny’s shoulder pads and led him back to give them some space. “Danny’s going to model this for y’all because it ain’t that hard.”

McCoy handed Danny the ball and then, like a puppet master, pushed on his shoulders to get him to start moving in the right direction. He held onto his pads to slow him to a jog. Danny’s arm cocked back.

“Stop.”

The quarterback froze. Awkwardly with one foot barely on the ground.

“Now, here we have an issue. Pay attention,” McCoy said. “Danny’s still moving laterally and is throwing the ball. None of you have cannons strapped to your shoulder. That’s either underthrown, inaccurate, picked off or all three everytime.”

He waited for them to nod their understanding.

“You got to move toward where you are throwing the ball. Physics. If your momentum is going right, you can’t throw it forward and hit the receiver unless you have the arm strength. If your momentum is going forward, different story. Put your arm down and move forward, Danny.”

Danny did as he was instructed and once again started to bring his arm back to throw.

“Stop.”

He almost fell over this time.

Coach McCoy turned his shoulders. He tapped on Danny’s left shoulder. “Just like any other time you throw it, point this to your target.” He pushed his foot under Danny’s to make the sophomore pick up his feet. “Get on your toes when you throw. Run full speed all the way through the throw. Follow through. Hit the target. Now, go back and do it that way.”

The coach stepped out of the way and watched as the quarterbacks ran through the drill a dozen more times.

Four of them were still doing it wrong.

-*****-
Caesar slowed down, planting his right foot and cutting to his left. Coach Vinnie Harrison tossed the ball to him and he easily reeled it in. He looked back over his shoulder to see Skylar sitting on the turf, done in by the cut.

Coach Franks palmed his face, shaking his head. He pointed to the locker rooms. “Go on and pack it up, Skylar. You ain’t gonna make it, kid. Go out for the baseball team or something. This ain’t your sport.”

Skylar threw his hands up in the air. “But I survived tryouts! You can’t cut me!”

“That was before I saw you trip of your own feet because a receiver cut on an out route. Get your ass off the field or go over there and try your hand at kicker. I don’t give a damn what you do, but you ain’t about to be in my DB group doing that shit.”

The players shifted uncomfortably as they waited for what Skylar would say or do next. After a few moments, his head dropped and he trudged off the field – in the direction of Houma Junior High’s practice field where the kickers practiced.

“Ha! I’m retiring motherfuckers out here! Who’s next?!” Caesar shouted, tossing the ball back to Coach Harrison.

“Very impressive. I, too, would take pride in showing everyone that a bad cornerback is a bad cornerback. For your next trick, will you prove to us that water is indeed wet?” Coach Harrison asked as he waved Jurgen forward to the line.

A new addition to the team, a kid named Ricky, lined up against the Jurgen. And while Jurgen didn’t run a crisp route, he was able to use his height to snag the ball over Ricky’s head.

Everyone looked to Coach Franks expecting Ricky to also be banished to the kickers group, but Franks only nodded in approval and said “yeah” a couple times before patting Ricky on the head and telling him good job for sticking with Jurgen.

The two groups continued to run the drill for another half hour.

The few times Caesar and Devin were matched against each other, the split the “battles.” The coaches could see Caesar getting angry, but a glance toward Coach McCoy on the other side of the field seemingly kept him from losing his cool.

Likely out of fear that he’d be sent running if he did.

-*****-
Hasan placed the bar back on the rack and sat up on the bench. “Y’all see that shit them Euless boys been sayin’ about us?”

“Where the fuck have you been seeing what some niggas in Texas saying about us?” Kenyatta asked.

“Motherfucker, they been havin’ social media for 50 years. The fuck you mean where I been seein’ that shit? Obviously online, nigga.”

La’Quan, a defensive end promoted from JV, walked over with a bag of M&Ms in his hand. “I don’t even care what they ass sayin’. It’s gonna be redrum when we play them boys. I’m sayin’ we put about 50, 60 points on ‘em.”

“Not with your fat ass eating all that candy,” Caesar called from across the weight room. He sat on a bench, but hadn’t even put weights on the bar. “You’re going to need a root canal a week before the game and we’ll have to put King in at defensive end because you’re too doped up to play.”

“If anyone knows about being high, it’s you,” Anthony laughed.

“Pot. Kettle.”

“I don’t know about the rest of y’all, but I’m with La’Quan,” Noah John said. “I’m about to get my shine on and find my way to somebody college next year. This a whole statement game. Launch us on the way to winning state.”

Devin set a pair of dumbbells back in the rack. “No one’s asked yet what they’re saying and I thought that was the whole point of this conversation?”

“Feels bad when the voice of reason in the locker room is the worst motherfucker on the team. Future seventh string cornerback at Mississippi Valley State, but he’s the heart and soul of the team and getting a scholarship in year five of a shit career, starting early,” Caesar said, laughing.

“You never shut the fuck up, do you?”

“I’m just the life of the party, man. You alright, scrub.”

“You ain’t be laughin’ when these niggas out there tryin’ to take your head off. It’s a lot of ‘em sayin’ they gonna be comin’ like the Saints with a bounty on your ass,” Hasan said. “You might wanna learn how to give yourself up after catchin’ the ball.”

Caesar shook his head. “God made me a fearless man, Santiago. If they think they’re about that action, then we can take it there.”

“I thought you weren’t religious,” Jurgen said.

“He just a blasphemous nigga. Ain’t nobody running through hoes like him can be religious,” Kenyatta said.

“I’m saved. Born again. God is my pilot,” Caesar said. He stood up and headed for the door of the weight room. “Y’all take it easy. I got places to be.”

“You didn’t lift,” Anthony said.

“I’ll be alright,” he said as he left.

Devin looked at Hasan and the two of them shook their heads.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 17 Feb 2020, 11:29

You have a real talent at making Caesar absolutely unbearable.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 17 Feb 2020, 13:45

Captain Canada wrote:
17 Feb 2020, 11:29
You have a real talent at making Caesar absolutely unbearable.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 17 Feb 2020, 19:46

It Doesn’t Matter

“Alright, man. I’ll catch you tomorrow.” Devin and Kenyatta dapped one another up as they walked out of the locker room and headed for the parking lot.

Devin glanced over to the field and saw Danny still out there, throwing passes at a tackling dummy a couple dozen yards away from him. Every so often, the young quarterback would stop and restart, slapping the ball against his hands as he mumbled something to himself.

Thinking back to his first conversation with Coach McCoy, Devin headed out onto the field.

As he got closer, he could hear that Danny was saying what he needed his body to do. Right, left, right, shoulder, throw, follow-through.

“Not going home yet?” Devin asked when he was within earshot.

Danny jumped, unaware that anyone had been walking up behind him. He scratched the back of his neck. “No, I just wanted to get some more throws in before it gets dark. They don’t turn the lights on during the summer. I tried to get them to keep them on, but they told me that the schools don’t want to pay the money for the electricity bill. It’s kinda stupid because --”

“Good lord, man.” Devin laughed. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say more than a couple words and you just spilled all of that on me?”

“Sorry, I ramble sometimes.”

“All good. You want someone to throw it to? I’m not a receiver and you're not going to get nicely run routes out of me but I can at least throw the ball back to you so you don’t have to walk down the field and get it yourself.”

“I’m sure you have things to do. It seems like all of the seniors are out partying every day.”

Devin held up his hand and shook his head. “Caesar and those guys are out partying every day. You’ll learn to expect that from them. But no, I don’t have anywhere to go.”

He tossed his bag to the turf and walked down the field to where the tackling dummy was. He pushed it out of the way and took its place.

“Don’t put too much heat on it though. I have hands made of stone and I’m not trying to get in the face with a football today,” Devin said, laughing.

“I don’t have much arm strength,” Danny said.

“I was joking, man.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

“You’ve got to stop apologizing so much if you think you’re going to get in a huddle with Caesar Jenkins and run the show. I don’t really know Ron all that well but I’m guessing he was real type A, too, to play with Caesar for three years and not let him take over.”

Danny went through his motions again, still saying each step aloud. He threw the ball to Devin. “Yeah, sorry. It’s weird being on the same field as y’all. All of you are going to big schools and stuff and everyone’s saying that coach is crazy for even thinking about starting me. I’m just nervous that I’m not good enough and maybe I should go play another sport.”

“Danny.”

“And I think that the other guys, Freddie and all, they don’t really like me all that much. Probably because I’m the youngest. But they don’t really hit the throws in practice either and I don’t think there’s much difference between us. They’re just older. None of us really know coach’s playbook perfectly so it’s not like they’ve been in the system for years.”

“Danny.”

“And I heard that Euless Trinity won state in Texas last year and that’s a big deal because their classification is about how good they are and they have that one safety that’s going to LSU. Do you think he’s related to Caesar? They have the same last name. I don’t know. I guess his last name is pretty normal so there are probably a lot of people with that name and they aren’t from the same place. But he’s really good.”

Devin threw the ball back at Danny as hard as he could. The sophomore barely had time to bat the ball down, lost in his rambling.

He suddenly realized that he was doing it again. “Sorry, I don’t talk to too many people.”

“It’s fine, man. You’re just psyching yourself out. None of that shit matters.” Devin put his hands up and Danny threw him the ball. They threw it back and forth a few more times. “If coach wants to start you, then you’re going to start. I think he knows what he’s doing more than anyone else.”

“Yeah, I guess. I’m just not used to playing in front of more than a few people. I’m afraid to mess up.”

“If you’re afraid to mess up then you’re going to mess up. That shit doesn’t matter either. When you’re in the game, you’re not going to notice if there are 10 people in the crowd or 10,000. Your job is just to run the offense.”

Danny caught the ball and spun it in his hands, looking down at it. “When I got to Houma Junior High, I thought that it would be easier when I got here. Because the team was bad, no offense.”

Devin waved off the comment. “I thought it’d be easier my sophomore year, too. And, to be honest, it was more fun then. We didn’t have anything to worry about, but now we do. You’re going to do alright though.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah. As long as you stop being so damn nervous. Caesar talks a lot of shit, but he’s not going to fuck up on the field. His dad would probably actually kill him. Weird fucks.”

“Oh, that sucks I guess.”

Devin jogged further down the field. “Alright, man. Let’s see if you can throw some dimes down the field!”

Danny dropped back, stepped up and launched the ball in Devin’s direction. But it was just out of reach of his hands.

“Sorry!” Danny shouted.

-*****-
Caesar walked toward the kitchen door. His fingers glided across the screen of his phone as he and Emma cursed one another out in texts. He could understand why she was so upset that he’d turned her down when she came looking for sex. Cheating wasn’t his thing anymore.

Walking into the house, he was greeted with a scene he hadn’t expected.

Sitting at the kitchen counter was Kaley and his mother talking over a charcuterie board and what looked like wine. They both looked at him and smiled.

“Well, aren’t you two getting cozy?” Caesar said, putting his bag down next to the door. His mother shot him a look to say pick it up but she knew if it was still there in the morning that the cleaning staff would put it back in his room. He turned to Kaley. “I thought you said you weren’t coming down here until the weekend?”

“I changed my mind. Houma’s not that far from New Orleans, and I wanted to surprise you. I’m lucky your mom was home or I would’ve been sitting in the driveway waiting for you to get home.”

“Or the neighbors would’ve called the cops on you and you’d be sitting in jail waiting for me to get home.”

Candice rolled her eyes as she sipped from her glass of wine. “And I would’ve told the parish council about Mrs. Gaudet’s little pink, plastic cock her husband likes to get those charges dropped and some harassment ones filed.”

“Her what?!” Kaley almost choked on a piece of cheese.

“Oh, honey.” Candice tapped Kaley’s hand. “She pegs her husband. You always have to know something you can use against people if things go sour or you need to get them to do something. Stick with me. I’ll teach you a thing or two.”

“Ma, could you not scare her off with that shit?” Caesar asked as he went over to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

“Not scaring. Inducting. She already has the right first initial.”

Caesar shook his head realizing that his mother was referring to the fact her name and his grandmother’s name both started with the same letter. “Her name starts with a K.”

“Really?”

Kaley nodded. “Unfortunately.”

“Close enough. The sound is the same.” Her phone chirped with a new text. She sighed and stood up. “Looks like your father needs me to do something. I have to run.”

“What is it?” Caesar asked.

“Just a run to see Stephen.” She put her hand on Kaley’s shoulder. “You can stay here all summer if you want. I need another woman around here.” She looked over at Caesar. “Well, one who has a good head on her shoulders and is going somewhere. You know he doesn’t have a good track record with that.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Jenkins,” Kaley said, smiling.

“No kind words for me?” Caesar asked as his mother walked toward the door.

“You smell like a cow’s asshole. Go take a shower.” And with that she left.

Caesar raised his arm and sniffed. “I don’t smell that bad.”

“Mother knows best, Caesar. I thought you would know this by now,” Kaley said.

“What I want to know is if you’re trying to be with me or my mother? Y’all make quite the cute couple, you know, in a weird grown ass woman, barely legal girl, that 100% needs to be investigated type of way.”

“I always wanted a sugar mama. Kill two birds with one stone. Do my whole experimenting phase and get rich on the back of it. Law school isn’t cheap.”

Caesar walked around the corner to stand behind Kaley, reaching over her shoulder for a piece of bread off the charcuterie board.

“Clearly, the good money and experimenting is next door at the Gaudets. You could get paid, stick a fake dick in an old dude’s ass and munch some carpet.”

Kaley scoffed. “It sounds so unappealing when you say ‘munch some carpet.’”

“Opposed to eating pussy?”

“I’m glad you don’t attempt dirty talk while having sex.”

“I don’t need it. And you already know that.” He turned the stool so that she was facing him. “Now, I’m going to need an answer from you on something. Are you going to stay here all summer? Probably easier to get to New Orleans from Houma than it is from Slidell, you know.”

“How do you expect me to pull that off? My mom would wonder where I was.”

“Tell her you’re staying at Carla’s. Cousinly bonding.” Caesar raised his index finger. “Or better yet, tell her that you got back with David James and he has a camp out here where you two are fixing your issues.”

“That’s not even remotely funny. I’ll figure it out if you say that you want me to stay here.”

Caesar shook his head. “That’s all it takes? I want you here.”

“Okay, then.”

“But you have to come to Canton with us. Those are the rules. I didn’t make them. I just follow them.”

“To the football hall of fame? We’ve been dating all of two minutes. I don’t think I’d fit into that family picture.”

He shrugged. “Let me worry about that. It’s not for another few weeks anyway.”

Kaley nodded and put her hand on Caesar’s chest, shoving him back. “You really do stink, by the way. Afraid to shower with the fellas after practice? Fear of looking inadequate?”

“No, I knew you’d be here. Coming with me?”

“Nah, I’m good. Don’t want to split my head open because I slipped in a shower while trying to fuck.”

Caesar smiled. “You obviously haven’t noticed the little outcropping on the wall that you can sit on in there.”

Kaley rolled her eyes. “Show me this ‘little outcropping.’”

“Your pleasure.”