War of the Roses: Redux Edition

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 01 Mar 2020, 20:49

Coward

The crowd at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony clapped, a little more on the polite than raucous praise side, as Deion Jenkins and his wife, Candice, removed the covering from the bust of him that sat on the stage.

He stepped up to the podium. People had heard enough Deion Jenkins speeches from the Heisman Award to his retirement to know that he wouldn’t be giving the same kind of speech that the other inductees gave.

“I went back and forth on how to begin this speech and I decided that a story from my rookie year would be the right place. It was the third game of the season. We’d just beaten the Cowboys 45 to 10. It was our first win of the year.” He paused. “I don’t know if you all know this but people in Oklahoma don’t really like people in Texas. An old man caught me as I was leaving the stadium and said ‘Son, you’ve got God given talent that I’ve never seen.’ I looked at that old man, and at 21 years old, I said ‘God didn’t give me anything. I made myself who I am.’”

“You see for as long as athletes have competed, we’re expected to say some supernatural being gave us our ability. You’ve seen three men speak before me and they all thanked God. Let me tell you how I got here. Wasn’t any God with me when I got kicked out of two high schools. Wasn’t any God with me when I came close to dying in a car accident if not for my decision to go piss. Wasn’t any God with me when I went to East Texas for a football camp and got the last scholarship to Oklahoma State. Wasn’t any God with me when I won the Heisman, the National Championship, the first Super Bowl, the second Super Bowl, the third Super Bowl, the fourth Super Bowl. And there isn’t any God with me now. I did that.”

Kaley leaned over to Caesar. “Didn’t he send you to a Catholic school?”

“Because they could recruit,” Caesar whispered. “We didn’t exactly go running to Mass on Sundays.

He wrung his hands together and his foot bounced against the cement below. Kaley reached over and pried his hands apart before putting hers around one of his. She grimaced when his hand balled into a fist.

“You’re going to break my fucking hand,” she said through clenched teeth.

He relaxed his hand. “Sorry.”

Deion Jenkins took a deep breath as he went into the final bit of his speech, a whirlwind of subtle and not so subtle ‘Fuck Yous.’

“All of you bet against me. Every step of the way. The only people who believed in me were my parents, my wife and my son. And look where I am now. You can’t take this from me like you couldn’t take anything else from me.”

“To end, I’m going to give you another story from my rookie year. Before the draft, I was projected to go first overall. I know you all remember John Buckles who was supposed to win the Heisman over me. John was supposed to go second to the then-Los Angeles Blaze. The Blaze were so afraid the Outlaws were going to take John Buckles that they traded THREE first round picks, two seconds and some other third day junk to move up one spot. The one accolade I couldn’t have in my career. Number one overall pick.”

“I want to read you something.” He flicked his finger across the screen of his phone. “’Former Michigan star quarterback John Buckles found dead after suspected overdose. Buckles, 28, was found dead in a flophouse in Detroit following a three-day search. Buckles, who played two seasons in the NFL, one in the CFL, and one in the WFL.’ Y’all remember the WFL? ‘struggled with addiction and money woes following his brief professional career.’”

He pointed at his bust. “John’s dead. A broke, washed-up, never was, crackhead. I’m a Hall of Famer. Thanks for the motivation, John. Thanks for the motivation, everyone.”

-*****-
“Hey, that story he told about the fucking old man? One hundred thousand fucking percent a lie,” Ulysses Williams said, drawing laughter from the group of Deion Jenkins’ friends and family. “I was there. The old man was a Cowboys fan and called Deion a piece of shit.”

“Ain’t security have to stop him from going after the guy?” Yonni Williams asked, sipping from a glass of whiskey.

“No, that was that time in Vegas. When we almost lost to the Raiders in the playoffs in ’33.”

“You’d think I was a fucking miscreant fighting geriatrics all over the United States listening to you two,” Deion said, but the smile on his face showed that he wasn’t bothered by them poking holes in the story in his speech.

Yonni looked at Caesar, putting a hand on his shoulder. “I know you’ve heard all the stories, but your old man used to shit talk more than DBs. He drew more targeting calls than anyone in the league for at least four-five years.”

“Four or five years? That’s probably why his ass got into the Hall,” Ulysses said.

Caesar laughed, but Kaley had to pinch his side as his grip tightened on her waist. He looked down at her and she mouthed ‘calm down.’ He nodded.

A couple of reporters, two women, with cameraman pushed their way through the throngs of people and planted their cameras down facing the group.

They all gave Deion their congratulations of his induction and his most recent business acquisition – the announcement of which seemed to coincidentally coincide with his speech almost to the minute. They asked him a few questions, but it was clear what they were there for after they introduced themselves as working for one of the recruiting sites.

One of the women turned to Caesar and directly her cameraman to do the same. Kaley tried to step away from Caesar to get out of the shot, but he subtly moved her back toward him.

“So, Caesar. What is it like being, hopefully, the third NFL star from the Jenkins clan?”

His lip twitched up into a fake smile. “I just want to live up to the name. I have some big shoes to fill.” He nodded toward his father. “Obviously.”

The other woman cut to the chase. “Are you ready to make your commitment yet? Everyone’s on the edge of their seats waiting for you to say where you are going.”

Caesar looked at his father who drank from a glass of Bourbon, but otherwise showed no signs of what he expected Caesar to do.

“Um.” He scratched the back of his neck. “Well, I—”

“It’s got to be Oklahoma State, right? They’ve been in your top 3 since you were a freshman, you were born in Stillwater and the state of Oklahoma loves your dad,” the first woman said.

“Um.”

Kaley grabbed a glass of water from a nearby table and handed it to Caesar. He thanked her and gulped it down before handing the empty glass back.

“Some rumors say that you’ve actually had visits with Oklahoma. Any truth to that?” the second woman asked.

Caesar shook his head. “No. I’ve never been to Norman. Uh, I’m… I’m going to keep… Continue… Well, you know, keep the process open for next few months. Big, uh, season. My senior year. Just want to see what happens. Focus on winning State.”

“So, you’re not committing tonight?”

“No, not… No.” Caesar glanced over at his father who’d turn his back to the “impromptu” interview and was discussing something with his business partners. “If you’ll excuse me.”

Caesar broke away from the group with Kaley in tow.

-*****-
“Caesar, it’s really going to be okay. Can you just sit down for a second? Please?” Kaley asked.

She sat on the bed, watching as Caesar paced across their hotel room. They’d been back from all the festivities for the better part of an hour. While she’d changed into a shirt and some sweats, Caesar still wore the suit he wore to the ceremony. It just looked much more disheveled from his pacing.

“You realize what I just did, right? It’s not going to be okay.”

“I really think you’re exaggerating. He didn’t seem that mad about it.”

He ran his hands over his face. “No, he’s definitely pissed off.”

As if spoken into existence, there was banging at the door.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.” Caesar started for the door but stopped and turned away from it.

“Do you want me to get it?” Kaley asked.

“No, I got it.”

He crossed the room to the door and glanced through the peephole. His father stood on the other side. He’d shed his jacket and rolled up the sleeves of his shirt. Caesar opened the door and barely had time to get out of the way to keep Deion’s barreling through it from causing the door to smack him in the face.

“Dad, I can—”

“Shut the fucking door.” The older man went further into the room. He noticed Caesar and Kaley’s cellphones sitting on the nightstand and picked them up.

“One of those is mine,” Kaley said.

He looked over his shoulder as he dropped the phones into his pocket. “I’m aware.”

Kaley decided it was probably best just to be quiet.

Caesar stepped away from the door. “Dad, look. I—”

“I don’t recall telling you to open your fucking mouth.”

Caesar shut his mouth and nodded.

“Never in my life did I think that my own son would be this much of a fucking idiot. Here I am spending 17 years of my life setting my son up so that he could have the best chance to succeed and when I tell him to pull the trigger on the decision he decides that he’s going to lose all semblance of having a spine and not. FUCKING. DO IT.”

“I just didn’t want to steal any shine from you,” Caesar said.

Deion palmed his face, shaking his head. “I just got inducted into the fucking Hall of Fame. I just bought a fucking image rights company that’s going to triple my net worth. My son committing to MY SCHOOL is not going to take any shine from me, you stupid fuck.”

“Sorry,” Caesar said. He glanced at Kaley, wishing he’d told her to leave before all this. Too late now.

“I know what it is,” his father said, wagging a finger in his direction. He nodded over his shoulder. “You wanted to show your little girlfriend that you are your own man, right? That’s why you’d run to another school instead of Oklahoma State. That’s fine, but that’s not principle. You’re afraid to compete. You’re afraid to fail. You know you wouldn’t be fit to wear my number.”

“No, I just though—”

Before Caesar could say what it was that he thought, Deion backhanded him. Caesar stumbled back but grabbed the wall to steady himself. He reached his hand up to his mouth and pulled back blood-stained fingers. Running his tongue over his teeth, he could feel that one of his teeth had been chipped – probably by the Super Bowl rings.

Deion continued talking as if he hadn’t moved. “No, that’s not principle. You’re a fucking coward. That’s what you are. That’s why you do all the shit you do, fucking trailer trash that’s beneath you because they think you shit gold bricks. I’m going to tell you something, son. Sometimes, I wish I had more than one son. You know how dogs that you don’t feed will fight each other until the toughest one survives? Maybe, just maybe, if I had another son, you’d toughen the fuck up. Or you’d just keep being a worthless waste of space. Either or.”

He took the phones out of his pocket and tossed them onto the bed. Caesar turned away as he walked toward the door.

“I told Flash and Yonni to rescind your scholarship offer. I don’t want you at Oklahoma State. You aren’t good enough. Won’t ever be good enough.”

Caesar only nodded as his father left the room, slamming the door behind him.

Kaley got up and went to the bathroom, grabbing a towel. She pressed it to Caesar’s lip, but he took the towel from her and threw it aside. Walking over to the bed, he sat down and picked up his phone, scrolling through it as if nothing had just happened. His phone started to vibrate with new notifications. Slowly at first and then a non-stop vibrating that forced him to switch it to silent.

She sat down next to him. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Talk about what?” he asked without looking up at her.

“Okay,” Kaley said. She went to the other side of the bed and laid down, grabbing her phone and pulling up a streaming app.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 02 Mar 2020, 00:13

Oh. Wow. That was truly something else. Your character building is. Wow.

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 02 Mar 2020, 20:56

T-Minus

“It’s only four more sleeps until we have football on the bayous again, but you’ll need to close your eyes one extra time for the biggest game in Terrebonne Parish high school football history. Because Saturday night, the Terrebonne Tigers will head up to the town that Captain Shreve built to square off against the reigning-reigning-reigning UIL Class 6A champions Euless Trinity Trojans. It’s not going to be easy for the Tigers up there in the Great White North, is it?”

“Bo, they got boys on that Euless team who have never lost a game in their high school careers, and I ain’t talking freshmen. Even the seniors only have two losses on their record and one of those was in the state championship four years ago. I don’t see it. I don’t see how Terrebonne, even with the stars they have, are in any way built for these Trojans.”

“I put in a call to a fellow football enthusiast up there in Dallas to ask him his thoughts on this game. And he didn’t have anything nice to say.”

A clip featuring a man with a Texas accent was played.

“Louisiana has some good kids. Everyone knows that, but there ain’t but one stat you have to say about Euless Trinity to put this into perspective. I looked it up. Terrebonne has their big three who are 4- and 5-star recruits and a lot of guys who are fringe. All 22 of the Trojans’ starters are going to D-I schools, and I ain’t talking North Texas, ya hear me? This is a decent amateur against a seasoned pro. A good warmup for Euless but no different than a spring game.”

-*****-
Helmets and pads clashed against one another. Cleats tore up the turf.

Danny stood in the pocket, bouncing on the balls of his feet. His eyes darted across the field as he tried to find the open man, but it all seemed to be covered in a haze. Everything moved too fast. He could feel the panic rising in his throat.

La’Quan shoved him from behind. Not hard enough to knock him over, but enough to let him know he was there.

Startled, Danny spun as if trying to evade a sack and dropped the ball. Coach McCoy blew his whistle to kill the play and shook his head as he motioned Coach Harrison to walk over to him.

“Calm down, soph. I ain’t gonna hit you, man,” the big defensive end said.

“I know. I know.” Danny bent down and snatched the ball up from the field. He could feel the eyes of his teammates on him. Namely Caesar who had been shooting him some harsh glances since the receiver had rejoined practice a couple weeks ago.

The quarterback tried not to listen to the coaches’ conversation but it was hard not to hear them.

Coach Harrison covered his mouth with the straw hat that he typically wore. “We can start warming up Keilan and Freddie. Cut the playbook down. Dink and dunk our way down the field.”

McCoy turned his back to the team instead of the age-old methods of covering his mouth. “Unless he tears his fucking ACL between now and Saturday, we need to get the jitters out of him or we’re all going to be trouble.”

Turning back to the team, McCoy clapped his hands. “Alright, we’re running out of sunlight and we’re running out of days. We’ve been doing this all summer gentleman! It’s not new!”

Hasan smacked Danny a couple times on the helmet as a bit of encouragement as the offense gathered into a huddle.

-*****-
Caesar sat in the balcony of Terrebonne’s auditorium. Below him the band practiced for one of their upcoming competitions. Caesar had figured out that there was a spot in the balcony that you could sit and not be seen from the second-floor door or from the stage.

His last year of high school was a few weeks old and he was already experiencing a case of senioritis. It didn’t help that he’d been roped into an insignificant art class to fill in the time between his morning classes and weights at the end of the day.

He could feel his phone vibrating in his pocket, but he didn’t reach for it. He knew it would be recruiters – or Kaley. Neither would get an answer.

Not at the moment.

He stretched his arms out over the two seats on either side of him, his head hanging backward over the chair.

One thing he’d never been in his life was musically inclined, but whatever the band kids were doing down on the stage sounded good enough to him. Although, the director would stop every so often and correct something, yelling about how they practiced in the auditorium to hear the proper acoustics that were lost in the band room.

He liked the part they were getting to. A rising, quickening beat. Getting louder as they reached the end of the song. It was pretty intense.

The last part of it, stabbing blasts from the brass section and crashing cymbals. He’d heard a few dozen times at this point. Then came the last few bits.

Lurching forward, he put his hand on the back of the girl’s head in his lap as he came in her mouth. She sat back on her feet, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. Caesar was up on his feet and pulling up his pants as soon as she’d given him space.

“You better not say shit to anyone about this.”

“See you later, Janelle,” he said before stepping over her legs and heading for the door.

-*****-
Devin nodded to a girl who waved at him. He wasn’t sure where he’d seen her before, class or something probably, but she seemed to know him.

Hasan leaned around him to watch the girl walk away before shoving Devin. Devin raised an eyebrow and gave him a shove back.

“What the fuck was that for?”

“It’s crazy, nigga. You could be up here swimmin’ in pussy. Did you see that bitch? The ass on her? And you just up here noddin’ like you tryin’ to be Joe Cool,” Hasan said. “You should be runnin’ behind her and tryin’ to dive up in there.”

Devin sighed. “I don’t know if you’ve ever met this person I’m always with. Her name is Carla. We’ve been together for a while now and I have to say that I’m pretty okay with continuing to be with her so I’m going to pass on your advice. Thanks, though.”

Hasan laughed. “That’s that shit that got ‘em wantin’ your ass in the first place. You the quiet nigga that treat his women right. The rest of us just tryin’ to get a high body count and you out here with one or two women forever.”

“One. One woman.”

“You know the recruiters goin’ to be all over us come Sunday. You might want to convince Carla to let you have an open relationship before you start going on all those recruitin’ trips. Imagine how them hostesses gonna be throwin’ themselves at you when they peep your shit online and see you all hugged up with your high school sweetheart all cute and shit.”

Devin ignored the majority of that mini-rant and focused on the part that he thought was important. “You really think there are going to be that many recruiters there? I mean, there’s going to be the same kind of games all over the state.”

“After Caesar’s ass basically opened up his recruitment again? Every school in the country gonna be there. We gotta show up, my nigga.”

Devin nodded, wondering how it would come across to scouts and schools if he had a good game against a school like Euless Trinity. He’d began to formulate a “list” of potential landing spots over the summer, but nothing was finalized yet.

It’d be a big week for his recruitment if what Hasan said was true. A make or break week.

-*****-
“I want to talk about one player in particular on that Trojans team, Jeff. I got a hold of some cuts and I’ve been watching them on repeat for the last month. Do you remember what everyone said when Caesar Jenkins was a freshman?”

“Mais, I sure do, me. They all said he was going to the pros.”

“And barring injury or his own personality, he undoubtedly will. But this kid. This safety.”

“Oh, you’re talking about number one. They say they call him their ‘rover.’”

“Yes, sir. Erik Jenkins. No relation to Caesar, according to multiple sources including my lawyer. Don’t sue me, Deion. He plays man. He plays zone. He blitzes. He tackles. He, as the old timers say, brings the lumber. He’s a ballhawk. I bet if they told him to put his hand in the turf and play on the line, he’d do it. The guy is committed to LSU last year. And I’m telling you that they need to give him that number seven jersey when he walks through the door.”

“He’s good good, bo. That’s a good football player, him.”

“Elite talent. Plain and simple. The fact that he’s ranked 17th for most recruiting services is a flat out crime. Pierce McCoy might not be scared for Danny Jackson, but I’m for damn sure scared for Danny Jackson.”

-*****-
Danny rolled to his right. He pumped once. He pumped twice. Then he released the ball, throwing it right into the waiting hands…

…of Devin.

Devin tucked the ball under his arm and jogged a few yards down the field before tossing the ball back to Danny. The young quarterback smacked the ball as he walked back to the huddle with his head hung.

When he looked up, he saw Coach McCoy nod in the direction of Keilan and Freddie. The two of them wasted no time in grabbing a couple footballs and jogging to the far side of the field with a couple of the receivers further down on the depth chart to start warming up.

Danny debated quitting right there. He was in over his head. There was no way that he could play well enough to win Saturday.

He gave the ball to Derrick, the center, and put his hands in the collar of his pads as McCoy gave him the next play to run. He barely heard it as he looked over the coach’s shoulder to where the two older quarterbacks were getting their arms loosened up.

Coach McCoy jabbed him in the pads with a finger to get his attention. “Are you listening or are you checking out the cheerleaders over there?”

“Sorry, coach.”

“Get your head in the game, son.” The coach tapped his hand against Danny’s helmet for emphasis. “You can’t make it happen if you aren’t even paying attention to what’s going around you.”

“Got it, coach.”

“Now, go on. Run the play.”

The offense broke from the huddle and headed to the line. Danny leaned over to Hasan.

“I don’t know the play,” he admitted.

Hasan sighed. “20 right 81 rip. Don’t let coach hear you saying that shit.”

-*****-
“Man, you should just quit before Saturday. It will be your first game. No one would blame you for throwing in the towel early,” Anthony said to Jurgen. He spun an empty lunch tray on the table they were sitting at.

“I think we’re going to win,” Jurgen said, poking at the rectangular pizza on his tray but not daring to pick it up and try to eat it.

“You heard this shit, Caesar?”

Caesar looked up from his phone and shrugged. “I don’t see what’s wrong with him thinking we’re going to win. Best case scenario, Danny gets knocked out of the game on the first play and McCoy is forced to put in Keilan or Freddie. Shit, he can put both of them in. Bench Santiago, too.”

“Man, you’ve seen the film. Those guys are really good. I’m just trying to set my expectations before we go out there and get killed.”

“They are really overrated.”

Bentley sat down at the table with a bag of cookies. He offered them to the others, but only Anthony took him up on the offer.

“The Tigerettes are having a bake sale. Sadie hooked me up with a bag for free,” he explained as he tore into the cookies.

“Didn’t you try to stick your dick in her ass?” Anthony asked, tossing the cookies he’d taken into the trash can nearby.

Bentley paused with a cookie hanging out of his mouth.

“That girl is trying to poison you,” Jurgen said, laughing.

“You think she’d do some shit like that?” Bentley asked.

“Fucking dumbass,” Caesar said, shaking his head. “You didn’t think about that before you took this free bag of cookies from a girl you just randomly decided to try to fuck in the ass?”

“It wasn’t random. We talked about it.”

“You’re the fucking reason yes means yes laws exist.”

“Back to the game,” Anthony said. “Y’all know we’re going up there Friday night, right?”

“We were all in the same meeting as you,” Caesar said.

“What’s your point?” Jurgen asked.

Anthony smacked his hand against his face. “We’re leaving Houma at three Friday. We aren’t playing until six Saturday. We’re leaving at noon on Sunday. That’s a lot of time to kill in a city that we don’t live in and won’t be hassled by nosey neighbors and cops.”

Caesar shook his head as he went back to his phone. “Don’t know why you just didn’t start with suggesting we go find a party.”

-*****-
Devin struggled to stay awake as the teacher droned on about the finer points of writing a paper analyzing a work of literature. He wasn’t quite sure why a paper was being assigned within the first month of the school year, but maybe it could’ve been worse.

He looked out the window at a pigeon sitting on the windowsill. The bird pecked at something on the old bricks outside the window. It was probably just as bored as he was.

His phone vibrated twice in his pocket, rattling against the desk. The teacher paused for a moment, waiting for someone to reach for their phone. After a spell, she went back to teaching.

Waiting until the teacher turned to the board, he pulled his phone from his pocket. First, he switched it to silent. Then, he put it on the desktop right behind the girl sitting in front of him.

Two texts popped up on the screen.

’TCU’s going to be in Shreveport Saturday.’
’Oh, this is Ron by the way.’

Devin raised an eyebrow. He’d never texted Ron DeRossi in his life.

’How’d you get my number??’

’Same way anyone else gets people’s number.’

Ron sent a handful of pictures to him. Some of them were of the football facilities at TCU, recently renovated after their run of National Championships in the 30’s and 40’s. Others were of Ron with what looked like sorority girls.

’Fort Worth is a fun place, bro. And they really want you here.’

’Doesn’t look like my type of place.’

’Got to visit to find that out.’

“Devin, are you paying attention?”

He locked his phone and placed his hands over it before looking up. “Yeah. I’m paying attention.”

“Good, because this will be a big part of your grade.”

-*****-
Danny walked into Coach McCoy’s office after the team’s practice on Wednesday. McCoy poured over plays he’d drawn up on his tablet, something he was always doing if he wasn’t installing them on the field.

The Texan looked up. “What can I do you for, Danny?”

“You have to start someone else Saturday. I can’t win. They’re too good and I’m not good enough. It’s going to be a beating.”

“Sit down.”

Danny sighed, dropping his duffel bag and sitting in the chair opposite of Coach McCoy’s desk.

“You know why you’re going to start Saturday?”

The sophomore shrugged.

“Because I decided that you are good enough to play on this team, you’re good enough to start on this team and you’re good enough to start Saturday when we go up against Euless Trinity. Why would Keilan or Freddie or the two guys we got on JV be better? Because they’re older? They have bad habits. Things they won’t get rid of.”

“I just don’t want to let everyone down.”

McCoy sat back in his chair. “Are you planning to quit?”

“Well, no.”

“Are you going to go out there and give 100 percent?”

“Yeah.”

“Then everyone will be alright. We’ll be alright Saturday.” He stood up from his desk, picking up the tablet. “You want a ride home?”

“I was going to walk. It’s not that far.”

McCoy nodded. “Good. Then I won’t burn too much gas.”
Last edited by Caesar on 03 Mar 2020, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 03 Mar 2020, 00:02

And then Danny doesn't even make it to half-time

djp73

Post by djp73 » 03 Mar 2020, 07:46

danny's gonna take his lumps now but be better for it later i think

Topic author
Caesar

Post by Caesar » 04 Mar 2020, 19:41

To the Dardanelles

Coaches lined the circle in the middle of Terrebonne High School’s campus, replacing the school buses that would normally shuttle the students to and fro – and that would be the typical transportation for the football team. It was a welcomed upgrade for kids who hadn’t, and some of whom probably would never again, travel in such luxury.

Another unexpected change was Coach McCoy’s demand that the players wear suits whenever they traveled as a team.

Hasan pulled at the collar of his shirt, messing up the already poorly tied tie that was around his neck. “This some bullshit, you know that right? It’s discrimination. Poor black boys ain’t got nobody to tell them how to tie no damn tie.”

Devin shook his head as he followed Hasan in the line to throw their duffel bags into one of the compartments on the coaches. “It’s 2052. You don’t need anyone to ‘teach’ you how to do anything. All you had to do was look it up.”

“Ain’t nobody got time for that. I play ball when the fuck am I goin’ to have to wear a damn tie?”

“Those award things always have the players wearing suits and ties.”

“The suit I can do. I just can’t fuck with no tie. Feels like a noose around my neck. You know that shit some subliminal messagin’. Black man, somethin’ around his neck. This is Louisiana, you know? Ain’t like y’all weren’t lynchin’ people only a hundred years ago.” Hasan handed his bag to one of the team managers who stored it under

“You’re thinking way too much into this. Just take the tie off when we get on the bus or trade for someone’s clip on.” Devin handed his bag over as well.

“The fuck I look like wearin’ a clip on? Look at that nigga Caesar with his $1,000 suit and shit. How I’m gonna get off the bus with that motherfucker lookin’ like he stepped out a magazine with a clip on?”

“$1,000 is probably an understatement.”

“You think?”

Devin looked over at Caesar and nodded. “That’s way more than $1,000.”

“Shit makes me sick.” Hasan said, climbing on the bus. “How far is Shreveport again?”

“Four, five hours,” Devin answered as he got on the bus, too. “Probably longer since we’re going there in a convoy of fucking buses.”

“Man, I shouldn’t have eaten those burritos for lunch then.”

Devin stopped and sat in a seat toward the middle of the bus.

Hasan looked over his shoulder. “The fuck you doin’?”

“Sitting a good distance away from the bathroom back there since you thought eating fucking burritos was smart before a long ass trip.”

-*****-
Kaley grabbed her bags out of her car and walked over to Carla’s car. She paused when she noticed someone sitting in the passenger seat. Sighing when she noticed it was her cousin’s friend Gina, she got into the backseat.

“Thought you didn’t like football, Gina?” Kaley asked as she settled in.

Gina looked over her shoulder. “I had nothing else to do this weekend and don’t miss out on a good road trip.”

“But you were still complaining all the way from Houma to here and we still have like three hours to go,” Carla said, merging back onto the interstate from their meeting point. “This is one of those times that I wish self-driving cars didn’t flop so hard.”

“I can drive from like Alexandria to Shreveport,” Kaley offered.

“Only if your driving is better than your choice in boys,” Gina said, laughing at her own joke.

Kaley glared at the back of Carla’s head, knowing that it was her cousin that had spilled the beans on the reconciliatory call she’d gotten from Caesar after radio silence for a couple weeks. She wasn’t sure why, but she’d accepted his apology and agreed to make the trip to Shreveport.

“You know he’s a piece of shit, right?” Gina asked. “Easily one of the worst people I’ve ever met in my life. Like you have to put down people like that to protect society.”

“Thanks for the advice,” Kaley said, sarcasm dripping from her words.

“You guys know that we have to spend the next two days with each other, right? Probably not to be at each other’s throats before we even get to Shreveport,” Carla said.

Kaley laughed. “No, thanks to the piece of shit, I don’t have to stay at that dump motel you found, Carla. I’ll have a break from the two of you.”

“It’s only fair,” Gina started. “that you share that hotel room he got you. I mean, we’ve all fucked him. Some of us more than others. He’s community dick so that hotel room is a community one. We can just get some rollaways in there.”

“That’s horrible logic.”

Carla shrugged, glancing at Kaley out of the rearview mirror. “I think it’s pretty good logic. He could’ve gotten you a ride from Slidell to Shreveport so as payment to me for the use of my vehicle, I think you should make that work.”

“And because you are using my good company, I should also get repaid,” Gina said.

“Y’all are really bad at this negotiating thing.” Kaley answered a text from Caesar to confirm – for the fourth time – that she would be at the game.

“I think we’re wearing her down,” Gina said to Carla. She turned around in the seat. “Random question, you don’t think it’s weird to be with the same dude that your cousin used to fuck? Like, that has to rank somewhere on the incest scale, right?”

“Oh, lord,” Carla said, sighing.

Kaley shook her head. “It’s going to be a long weekend.”

-*****-
“Weeeeeelcome ladies and gentlemen to the first annual Louisiana-Texas Border Showdown! All over the state of Louisiana, the Pelican State’s pre-eminent high school football programs are squaring off with their counterparts from the Lone Star State. Here in Shreveport, we have the Terrebonne Tigers from Houma, Louisiana facing the Euless Trinity Trojans from Euless, Texas.”

Terrebonne’s band queued up the fight song and the football team ran out onto the field of a rather packed Independence Stadium. The amount of people wearing red and black almost gave the illusion that they were on the other side of the border.

Caesar brought up the rear of the stream of players, walking at a leisurely pace. He tugged on the wristbands of a fresh pair of golden gloves and clapped his hands together, feeling back in his element.

When he finally reached the sideline, he glanced across the field as their opponents ran out through a banner championing their three-year undefeated run.

They lined up across from the Tigers’ sideline. A lineman walked to the front of the team and started yelling in some foreign language. The rest of the team performed some type of synchronized call-and-dance that sent the Euless fans crazy when they finished.

“What the fuck was that?” Caesar asked Jurgen, pointing across the field.

“I think it was a haka.”

Danny shook his head. “That’s something different. Different culture.”

Caesar laughed and slapped Danny on his shoulder. “Maybe you should’ve been studying the playbook and not worrying about what ballet they were going to do when they came out.”

-*****-
A hush descended over the Euless Trinity sideline as all of them took a knee except for Erik Jenkins.

He paced back and forth in a bit of a half circle. “I ain’t even gonna bullshit with y’all tonight. I’m pissed off. Y’all see where we at? They got us out here in the visitor’s locker room like we have to show that we for real! They think they can beat us! They questioning who we are, what we done grinded for, put in work for, bled for. Marinate on that for a minute. They got us on the away sideline. Those boys on the other side of the field ain’t never won shit. Y’all better be ready to play tonight, I tell you that.”

There were murmurs of “yeah” and nodding of heads.

“They disrespecting us, but I don’t fear them boys over there. I only fear God. I fear God, bruh.”

He dapped up a couple of his teammates nearby.

“They ain’t ready to go where we ready to go. I’m ready to bleed on that field. I’m ready to die on that field. I ain’t coming off that bitch unless they cart me off that bitch with a white sheet over me, you hear me? But I ain’t scared to die because I got my brothers with me. And they with the shits too!”

The Trojan players hopped to their feet, hyped up.

“I don’t give a fuck that this is Louisiana. This our house! We the kings! And a king don’t get knocked off his throne! We ain’t got no choice but to put them to sleep. Forty-eight and oh, y’all better be ready to kill to defend that shit! Dominate on three! One, two, three.”

“Dominate!”

-*****-
“Terrebonne’s offense takes the field led by sophomore Danny Jackson in his first start as a high school quarterback. Expect him to lean heavily on senior wideout Caesar Jenkins and running back Hasan Santiago. The Tigers come out with four receivers, Jackson in the gun and Santiago in the backfield. Jenkins is in the middle of those three down on the wide side of the field. Euless has their dime package out there to match up.”

Danny went through his cadence, trying his hardest not to stutter and be heard over the din of the crowd. He walked to the line of scrimmage and identified the Mike. As he stepped back, the defense shifted to a single high look and the strong safety crept down into the box.

He made the line adjustments before running back into place and calling for the snap. It was low and he had to all but scrap his knuckles against the turf to get it. The pressure was almost immediate as a linebacker flew through the A gap.

Hasan cut him down with a well-timed block but Danny was still forced out of the pocket as the line crumbled.

Caesar threw his hand up as he beat the cornerback and streaked up the sideline. He glanced over his shoulder and saw Danny rolling away from him. He started working back across the field to give him somewhere to throw.

Danny felt the linemen barring down on him from behind. He spotted Caesar waving downfield, cocked his arm back and flung a prayer in the big receiver’s direction.

Caesar pumped his legs to meet the ball. He stretched his arms out to catch it. He didn’t see the safety running at him full bore until he turned his head to watch the ball into his hands.

Then he was off the ground.

“WHAT A HIT! Euless’ Erik Jenkins completely decleated Terrebonne’s Caesar Jenkins to make sure that he didn’t make that catch! That was the definition of a hospital ball from Jackson and Caesar Jenkins is slow to get up. But that’s how you make a statement on the first play!”

Caesar rolled to his hands and knees, struggling to catch his breath. He heard someone say “pussy bitch” over him as the trainers helped him to his feet to get him off the field.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada » 05 Mar 2020, 09:47

ERIK! :blessed:

djp73

Post by djp73 » 05 Mar 2020, 13:09

OL finna get danny killed

djp73

Post by djp73 » 23 Mar 2020, 08:24

djp73