My Way | Colby Porter Jr

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 27 Jan 2020, 10:58

1563 likes
cpjfan4life
really good preseason for Colby
locked up QB2 spot behind Stafford for 2020 season

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 27 Jan 2020, 13:17

The Next Chapter
Colby Porter Jr.
May 2, 2021

It was little over three years ago when I wrote my first article for the Players' Tribune. At that time I was in the process of transferring from Oregon State to to Virginia. That time in my life seems like an eternity ago now. The season we had at Virginia was amazing. I had as much fun that season as I can remember having playing football. My teammates and coaches were incredible. The atmosphere was amazing. The fans welcomed me in so quickly. My mom and grandfather came to a bunch of games. It was awesome.

The Senior Bowl. The combine. Pro day. The draft. A whirlwind to say the least.

At the end of the 2019 season I started five games due to injuries ahead of me on the depth chart. Looking back, I wasn't ready but it was a great experience and I feel like I made the most of that opportunity. There's no way to replace the experience I got during that time, in real games against real NFL defenses. We were able to win three of those five games. I had my share of highlights and “low-lights” during that stretch. I bonded with teammates and those are bonds I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

Last season, after a solid preseason I earned the backup quarterback role behind Matt Stafford. Then, over the course of 16 games, I played about six snaps and completed a pair of passing attempts. That may sound like a wasted season to you but in all honesty it was one of the best seasons I have ever had from a developmental standpoint.

We made the playoffs and I learned more than I ever have about preparation and putting in the work off the field by watching Matt, Coach Patricia and everyone else. I watched what they did on game days on the field but also, maybe even more importantly, I really watched and tried to absorb as much as I could off the field. I made several changes to my routine, taking pieces of what Matt does, pieces of what guys like Marvin and Darius and a bunch of other guys do. I saw the return on investment almost immediately.

Matt has been great. He's taught me so much these past two seasons and I'll always be grateful to him for that. There was never any hesitation from him when I had questions or needed an extra rep. The whole organization and everyone associated with them has been nothing but awesome and I'll always be appreciative of the time I spent with the Lions.

I'm writing this as I am still processing the trade. If you haven't heard or seen I was traded to the Panthers on day two of the draft in exchange for a third round pick. It's a strange feeling to be traded. I've been on a number of different teams over the past several years but each change has been at least somewhat my decision. To be told you've been traded and that you essentially have no say in the process is a weird feeling. Like I mentioned, I'm still processing that.

My feelings on being traded shouldn't be mistaken for any trepidation toward playing for the Panthers, not in the least. I have had lengthy and very exciting, enlightening conversations with both Coach Rhule and Coach Brady. I am very, very excited to be joining them and I can't wait to get started on the process.

I've known Cam for a while, we talked before I signed on at Blinn and he was at a few of the games when I played there. He checked in a few times since then. I was just as surprised as everyone else when he retired. I wish him the bast. He's a great guy and I'm sure he will excel at whatever is next for him. I'm guessing he'll remain a part of the Panthers family going forward.

The Panthers are loaded with talent and I am chomping at the bit to get to work with those guys. Christian McCaffrey called me the day after the trade and between talking to the coaches and him I was ready to start the season right then!

Charles Town. Martinsburg. Brenham. Corvallis. Charlottesville. Detroit. Charlotte.

Google says it's 7,632 miles, seems like a lot more than that.

I'm extremely excited for the next chapter, let's see where it takes us.
Last edited by djp73 on 28 Jan 2020, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

James

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by James » 27 Jan 2020, 19:21

So you stuck behind Cam now?

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 27 Jan 2020, 20:07

Cam retired, edited article to reflect that.

Xixak

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by Xixak » 29 Jan 2020, 10:31

Hopefully you dive on the loose ball in the superbowl unlike Cam.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 29 Jan 2020, 10:34

Xixak wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 10:31
Hopefully you dive on the loose ball in the superbowl unlike Cam.
hopefully we get there!

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 30 Jan 2020, 09:45

PANTHERS SIGN UDFA KATO NELSON TO FILL OUT QB ROOM
All-new group set to replace Cam Newton
By Ashley Barnett June 16th, 2021, 11:30am EST

Undrafted free agent QB Kato Nelson has signed with the Panthers, bringing them up to four at the position as the team moves forward without Cam Newton, who surprisingly retired following the 2020 season.

Nelson joins Robert Griffin III, Taysom HIll and former Lion Colby Porter Jr. in a QB room that is entirely different than last season after Newton's retirement and the release of Will Grier earlier this offseason.

Matt Rhule has not committed to any of the four as the starter and says it will be a fully open competition to be the team's starter.

Griffin, Hill and Porter Jr are all on two year contracts while Nelson has signed a one year deal.

The team has the most invested in Porter Jr, sending a third round pick in the draft to the Lions in exchange for the third year scrambling quarterback. The investment has led some to project Porter Jr as the starter as long as he isn't significantly outplayed by the others. Porter Jr started five games at the end of the 2019 season in Detroit and played seven snaps in 2020, completing a pair of passes.

RGIII played in six games as a backup in Tennessee last season after a stint as Lamar Jackson's backup in Baltimore.

Taysom Hill took the 2020 season off from the NFL. He was used in a number of ways with the Saints before that. He has said he will help the team in whatever capacity is needed and is expected to fill a hybrid role once again with the Panthers.

Kato Nelson's playing style fits the team's scheme and he could be a good developmental project, maybe one day becoming Porter Jr's backup (if he becomes the starter) as both Hill and Griffin III are 31.
Last edited by djp73 on 03 Feb 2020, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.

James

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by James » 30 Jan 2020, 20:28

Gathering the talent. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 30 Jan 2020, 21:14

James wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 20:28
Gathering the talent. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
Me too. Lots of fun players on the offense

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 31 Jan 2020, 09:39

ImageImage
1563 likes
cpjfan4life
Porter Jr, RGIII and Taysom Hill all
play in preseason opener
Porter Jr. 6/6 98Yds 1TD, 1Yd TD run
RGIII 10/14 90 1Int, 2Car 11Yds
Hill 11/13 110 1TD, 5Car 39Yds
"still anyone's job" according to Rhule
all three plus Nelson expected to play next games
Last edited by djp73 on 03 Feb 2020, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.