My Way | Colby Porter Jr

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 14 Dec 2019, 10:44

Article revised for clarity.

Caesar

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by Caesar » 14 Dec 2019, 11:14

Man leaving the West Coast for the boonies? Bold.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 14 Dec 2019, 11:41

Where to? :hmm:

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 20 Dec 2019, 07:32

Former #OregonState QB Colby Porter Jr. has officially transferred to UVA.
As a graduate transfer he is immediately eligible to play.
Should be a great replacement for Benkert.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 20 Dec 2019, 07:40

10 players earned picks in Mendenhall's jersey number draft, chosen by captains.
#1 Jordan Ellis, #4 Olamide Zaccheaus, #6 PK Kier, #7 Chris Moore, #9 Dominic Sheppard, #11 Charles Snowden, #16 Richard Burney, #99 Joe Spaziani.
Transfer QB Colby Porter Jr. picked #10. Wore it in high school and at Blinn.
The draft order was not released this time.
Last edited by djp73 on 20 Dec 2019, 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 20 Dec 2019, 07:42

Colleges
Lacking depth for spring game, Virginia football’s open practice opens eyes
By Gene Wang
April 28, 2018 at 6:29 p.m. EDT

CHARLOTTESVILLE —
Were circumstances ideal, Virginia Coach Bronco Mendenhall would have directed a simulated game Saturday to wrap up spring football workouts. But without the roster depth to make a game worthwhile, Mendenhall for a third straight year settled for an open practice at Scott Stadium in his ongoing efforts to get the program back to national prominence.

The assignment heading into next season comes with a litany of issues to address, most notably fortifying a defense that lost three impact players and installing an offense around a new starter at quarterback following the departure of Kurt Benkert, who holds multiple school passing records.

Enter graduate transfer Colby Porter Jr., whom Mendenhall announced as the starter heading into training camp during his post-practice news conference, an announcement that surprised no one.

“We're not in the business of just handing over jobs,” Mendenhall said. “He didn't want that either. I think everyone expected that it would be him and now it is. He's an incredible athlete, we were more impressed with his leadership qualities. He was voted a captain by his teammates after three practices.”

Formerly at Blinn CC in Texas and then at Oregon State for two years, Porter Jr. is far more nimble than his predecessor. Porter Jr's ability to run has charged offensive coordinator Robert Anae with developing an attack similar to what he and Mendenhall directed when they were at Brigham Young.

As he has done since the start of drills, Porter Jr, under the watchful eyes of Anae and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck, displayed his athleticism, arm strength and accuracy during the 15th and final practice of the spring in front of approximately 1,000 enjoying a sun-swept Saturday afternoon.

“These are always character-building springs when you lose your starting quarterback,” Anae said.

In the first series of 11-on-11 play, Porter Jr, operating out of the pistol formation, engineered a touchdown drive that included a deep pass to wide receiver Joe Reed that covered roughly 30 yards. Fullback Jamari Peacock appeared to score from a yard out to finish the drive. (Statistics were not distributed to the media, and many players did not wear numbers, making identification somewhat challenging.)

PORTER JR DELIVERS A 30 PLUS YARD PASS TO REED ON THE BLUE TEAM'S FIRST SERIES

Several series later, Porter Jr. took a turn as a blocker after handing off to receiver Olamide Zaccheaus on a jet sweep run that went for five yards.

On one of the later drives, Porter Jr. darted through the middle of the defense on a designed run for 25 yards to score his third rushing touchdown of the afternoon. Moments later, he delivered a back-shoulder pass to wide receiver Hasise Dubois in the left corner of the end zone, capping the scoring and giving the blue team a 45-31 win against the white team.

PORTER JR ESCAPES A DEFENDER ON A LONG RUN

Porter Jr. (listed at 6-foot and 201 pounds) has been in Charlottesville since workouts commenced in January, and the coaching staff has offered rave reviews about his practice habits, time in the gym and dual-threat skills.

“That’s the challenge that I kind of mentioned to him as we broke practice: We ended spring at a certain level,” Beck said of Porter Jr. “When we come back in the fall, will we have slipped and kind of have to make up that ground, or will we stay the same, or will we be a little ahead?

“It takes a special player to improve the offense during the summertime when coaches aren’t around, and that’s just driven by how much [players] get together, they meet, they work out.”

Competing to back up Porter Jr are transfer Bryce Perkins, sophomore Lindell Stone and freshman Brennan Armstrong, another left-handed passer. Perkins appears to be in the lead by quite a margin. Stone, who played briefly in one game as a freshman last season, has been taking snaps with the second unit and continued to so Saturday, with Mendenhall indicating he is a bit ahead of Armstrong on the depth chart.

With the quarterback pecking order set, the other priority when the team resumes practice is to retool a defense that is without linebacker Micah Kiser and safety Quin Blanding, both all-ACC performers, as well as standout defensive lineman Andrew Brown.

Mendenhall said junior Jordan Mack slid over to Kiser’s inside linebacker spot, and senior Juan Thornhill is moving to Blanding’s free safety position.

Kiser (Los Angeles Rams) and Brown (Cincinnati Bengals) were selected in the fifth round of the NFL draft while the Cavaliers were in the middle of practice Saturday. The scoreboard posted the news, much to the delight of the fans.

“I’m thrilled,” Mendenhall said. “They just need an opportunity. I don’t get so caught up in the rounds. Neither surprises me. I had talked to the general manager of the Rams on opening day [of the draft], and I knew they liked him. And then specifically Andrew did really well on pro day, being worked out by the Bengals’ D-line coach.”

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 23 Dec 2019, 07:07

VIRGINIA FOOTBALL | NCAA FOOTBALL
CAVS DOMINATE SPIDERS IN SEASON OPENER
Colby Porter Jr with outstanding debut
By Patrick Jameson Sep 1st, 2018 11:01am

COLBY PORTER JR STANDS IN THE POCKET AND DELIVERS HIS FIRST TOUCHDOWN PASS FOR VIRGINIA

Transfer QB Colby Porter Jr threw for three touchdowns and ran for two more as Virginia absolutely smashed Richmond in their season opener. Porter Jr threw for 254 yards and added 130 more rushing while playing only the first half of the game. He was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week.

PORTER JR SCORES THE FIRST OF A PAIR OF RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS AGAINST RICHMOND

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 23 Dec 2019, 07:08

ROAD WARRIORS
Cavs smash Hoosiers in Indiana
By Patrick Jameson Sep 8th, 2018 7:01am

COLBY PORTER JR DELIVERS A TOUCHDOWN PASS TO A DIVING OZ

Colby Porter Jr threw three more touchdown passes and ran for two more as Virginia improved to 2-0 with a 35-14 win over Indiana on the road and in the rain. Porter Jr did throw a pair of interceptions in the game but more than compensated for the errors with a total of 430 yards and five scores. For the second week in a row he was chosen as the ACC Offensive player of the week. He was also plamed the NCAA offensive player of the week.

Virginia hosts NC State next week.

PORTER JR LEAVES AN INDIANA DEFENDER GRASPING AT AIR

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 30 Dec 2019, 14:02

THREE STRAIGHT FOR CAVS
Porter Jr leads Virginia to a win over NC State
By Patrick Jameson Sep 15th, 2018 11:01am

COLBY PORTER JR DIVES IN FOR A RUSHING TOUCHDOWN IN VIRGINIA'S WIN OVER NC STATE

Colby Porter Jr threw for 153 yards and two scores while adding two more rushing touchdowns and 142 yards on the ground in Virginia's 38-24 win over NC State. Porter Jr. threw one interception in the win. Virgina is now 3-0 on the season. Porter Jr has started to show up on some Heisman watch lists.

"I'm not really paying a lot of attention to that." Porter Jr replied when asked about the early Heisman chatter. "I think it's cool I guess but when you start focusing on that stuff or paying attention to it too much that attention is taken off of other areas where it should be when you're in the middle of a season. We've got team goals and I'm more interested in those."

Virginia (3-0) will face Ohio (1-0) next week in a game that has been moved to Vanderbilt Stadium due to the expected effects of hurricane Florence.

PORTER JR DELIVERS ONE OF HIS TWO TOUCHDOWN PASSES

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 30 Dec 2019, 14:39

CAVS IN COMMAND
Virginia improves to 5-0 with wins over Ohio and Pitt
By Patrick Jameson Sep 30th, 2018 1:07pm

COLBY PORTER JR CELEBRATES A TD PASS AGAINST OHIO

Virginia is now 5-0 after topping Ohio at Vanderbilt Stadium by a score of 42-9 and then taking down Pitt at home 37-19.

"It's obviously been a great start for us." Head coach Bronco Mendenhall said after the win over Pitt. "We're far from done and we have a number of tough games ahead of us so we're going to get back to work and keep getting better."

Colby Porter Jr. has continued to lead the way, tallying over 400 total yards and five touchdowns against Ohio. Against Pitt he racked up over 300 total yards and four total touchdowns with no turnovers. He did throw a pair of interceptions against Ohio.

"Just knowing when I need to be a little more careful with the ball, check it down maybe or get what I can running. Can't afford the turnovers all the time." Porter Jr. said when asked about the importance of turnover free games.

Jordan Ellis ran for 160 yards on 28 carries in the win as well.

Porter Jr. won the ACC offensive player of the week award after the Pitt game.

Virginia (5-0) will travel to face Wake Forest on October 12th after a week off.

OZ WIDE OPEN FOR A TD AGAINST OHIO

PORTER JR FINDS THE ENDZONE WITH HIS LEGS IN A WIN OVER OHIO

PORTER JR CELEBRATES A RUSHING TOUCHDOWN AGAINST PITT

PORTER JR CONNECTS WITH REED FOR A TOUCHDOWN AGAINST PITT