My Way | Colby Porter Jr

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 03 Jan 2020, 08:55

Count wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 08:31
damn what a game against Miami and congrats on the big rivalry win.

Any Heisman love for CPJ?
yeah that Miami game was wild, always good to beat a rival on the road, especially when they've won so many in a row

CPJ has gotten some Heisman love, I'd mentioned it in one of the mid-season game articles but haven't kept up with updates, I'll do that soon.

thanks for reading and posting, always appreciated.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 03 Jan 2020, 13:16

HEISMAN | OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL | VIRGINIA FOOTBALL | NCAA FOOTBALL
MURRAY, PORTER JR VOTED AS EQUALS IN FIRST EVER HEISMAN TIE
Tua, Haskins and Grier round out top five
By Josiah Greene Dec 8th, 2018, 11:17pm

Kyler Murray and Colby Porter Jr. made history on the field this past season but that wasn't the only place where the duo shocked the sports world. For the first time ever there was a tie for the Heisman Trophy. Murray edged Porter Jr in first place votes 323 to 319 while Porter Jr had more second place (269 to 266) and third place (47 to 41). The result was a tie for the top spot with a total of 1,542 points each.

Tua Tagovailoa finished third in voting with 1,356 total points and had 421 third place votes. After that were Dwayne Haskins and Will Grier with 437 and 116 points total.

Porter Jr and Murray went back and forth for the second half of the season with Porter Jr taking a perceived lead after his eight touchdown performance in a five overtime loss at Miami. Murray's performance in the Big 12 title game win over Texas boosted him back up and many thought Murray would ultimately win the trophy by a narrow margin.

"It's an incredible honor to be recognized with these other incredible players." Porter Jr said. "It means a ton to me to be able to be up here with these guys after what we've all been through to get here. I consider all of them to be friends now and it's going to be a bunch of fun to hopefully keep competing with them going forward.

Porter Jr topped Murray for the Maxwell and Walter Camp by narrow margins while Murray claimed the O'Brien with some breathing room.

Murray has been talked about as a definite first round pick, possibly number one overall while Porter Jr, considered to be a less polished passer and a candidate for a position change at the NFL level is projected anywhere between the third and sixth rounds with his performance in Virginia's upcoming bowl game, the Senior Bowl and at the NFL combine all being significant factors.
Last edited by djp73 on 07 Jan 2020, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Fapplatte

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by Fapplatte » 03 Jan 2020, 17:17

Nice effort so far.

Shame about the Heisman tie, interesting parameters that it is the first tie.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 03 Jan 2020, 17:57

Fapplatte wrote:
03 Jan 2020, 17:17
Nice effort so far.

Shame about the Heisman tie, interesting parameters that it is the first tie.
Thanks! Pretty excited to get him into Madden! Decided to make the Heisman a tie so I could not take away from what Murray did while still highlighting CPJ's accomplishments.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 06 Jan 2020, 10:33

VIRGINIA FOOTBALL | NCAA FOOTBALL
PORTER PERFECT IN BIG WIN OVER TENNESSEE IN PEACH BOWL
Porter Jr. accounts for 400 yards and five scores in final game
By Patrick Jameson Jan 2nd, 2019 8:11am

VIRGINIA PLAYERS GET FIRED UP BEFORE KICK OFF

Virginia capped their outstanding season by securing their 11th win in dominant fashion, topping Tennessee by a final score of 49-27 in a game that wasn't even that close.

Porter Jr. went 15 for 15 passing with 236 yards and a pair of scores. He also ran for 165 yards and three scores on 17 carries. He was named MVP of the game.

Virginia led 21-13 at halftime with scores coming on a five yard touchdown pass from Porter Jr. to Olamide Zaccheaus, a short run by Jordan Ellis, and a short run up the middle by Jamari Peacock.

PORTER JR CONNECTS WITH ZACCHEAUS FOR A TOUCHDOWN

Tennessee's first half scores came via a Jarrett Guarantano pass to Ty Chandler and a short run by Chandler. Tennessee missed the second point after.

Porter Jr. led a 21-0 scoring run in the second half, scoring twice on runs and throwing a second touchdown pass to Zaccheaus.

PORTER JR SCORES ON A PAIR OF SECOND HALF TOUCHDOWN RUNS

Tennessee scored early in the fourth quarter and Porter Jr. answered with a third touchdown run, making it 49-20 midway through the fourth.

Tennessee scored again with 30 seconds left to make it 49-27.

"Outstanding season from everyone involved." Head coach Bronco Mendenhall said after the win. "Lot's of big performances and a great way to cap it." He was cut short by Porter Jr. and linebacker Mikey McDonald.

MENDENHALL IS HOISTED FOLLOWING THE WIN

Virginia has never won 11 games in a season and it is only their second season with double digit wins, the other being a 10 win campaign in 1989.

PORTER JR AND ELLIS CELEBRATE THE HISTORIC WIN

Porter Jr's performance puts him at the top of a number of single season record lists for Virginia. His 2,052 yards tops the former record of 1,798 set by Thomas Jones in 1999. He shattered the previous school rushing touchdown record of 18 set by Gene Mayer in 1915 with 26. On the passing side of things he set school records with 3,269 yards and 36 touchdowns, passing Kurt Benkert's 3,207 yards from 2017 and Matt Schaub's 28 touchdowns set in 2002.

Olamide Zaccheaus also tied Billy McMullen's single season receptions record from 2001 with 83 and set a new school record with 16 touchdowns, break Herman Moore's 13 set in 1990.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 07 Jan 2020, 08:23

SENIOR BOWL | VIRGINIA FOOTBALL | NCAA FOOTBALL
PORTER JR PUTS ON A SHOW AT SENIOR BOWL, NORTH PULLS OUT WIN
Porter Jr. leads South back from down 14 in third quarter
By Patrick Jameson Jan 28th, 2019 11:11am

QB COLBY PORTER JR DELIVERS A PASS DURING THE THIRD QUARTER OF THE SENIOR BOWL

Former Virginia QB Colby Porter Jr. put on a show in the 70th annual Senior Bowl.

Each of the teams four quarterbacks played a quarter in the game, which is played under slightly modified rules.

West Virginia's Will Grier played the first quarter and Washington State's Gardner Minshew played the second.

When Porter Jr took over to start the third quarter the South trailed the North 27-12. By the time he was done they had a 33-27 lead.

PORTER JR AVOIDS THE PASS RUSH AND DELIVERS A PASS

Porter Jr completed 6 of 7 pass attempts for 96 yards and a score and ran for 87 yards and a pair of scores on six carries.

"Great showing for him." South coach Kyle Shanahan said of Porter Jr's performance. "He's a lot of fun to watch and he does a lot of the things you want your quarterback to do. He had a great week of practice and I think he showed some of those detractors something."

PORTER JR CONNECTS WITH GARY JENNINGS JR FOR A TOUCHDOWN

Porter Jr connected with West Virginia's Gary Jennings Jr on the touchdown pass, a seven yard score. His rushing scores came on a six yard run up the middle on a read option keep. He finished that run by bowling over North safety Nasir Adderley. Porter Jr's other touchdown run came on a 33 yard scramble.

PORTER JR FIGHTS HIS WAY INTO THE ENDZONE FOR HIS FIRST OF TWO RUSHING TOUCHDOWNS

PORTER JR RUNS DOWN THE SIDELINE ON HIS WAY TO A 33 YARD TOUCHDOWN RUN

The North would come back to win, scoring on a 21 yard run by Tony Pollard in the fourth quarter which was set up by an Adderley interception.

"It was a ton of fun." Porter Jr said after the game. "It was great getting to play with all those guys and to work with the coaching staff we were able to. Lot's of fun for sure."

Porter Jr was joined by Virginia's Juan Thornhill in the game.

Both players will now begin preparations for the NFL Combine which takes place at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis March 1st through March 4th.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 07 Jan 2020, 15:28

NFL DRAFT | NFL COMBINE | VIRGINIA FOOTBALL | NCAA FOOTBALL
PORTER JR ELECTS NOT TO WORKOUT AT NFL COMBINE
Will throw at Pro Day, doesn't intend to run a 40
By Josiah Greene Mar 1st, 2019, 11:17pm

QB COLBY PORTER JR STRETCHES FOR A RUSHING TD AGAINST VIRGINIA TECH

"We feel that the important stuff is on tape and that the most important think I can do at the combine is meet with and speak with team representatives."

That was how Colby Porter Jr. defended his decision not to participate in drills at the NFL Scouting Combine when he was questioned by reporters.

First round prospect Kyler Murray also decided to forego working out but many were disappointed to hear the same from Porter Jr.

"Porter Jr. hasn't done what Murray has as a passer." One NFC executive told me. "He's been adamant that he wants to be a QB at the next level so he should be chomping at the bit to show us he can be."

"He has a lot on tape. I think I get what he's doing. He's fast. He's probably a 4.4 guy and I think if he puts that down maybe he starts getting more pressure to play a different position. We think he can play QB eventually. I've heard a range of things. Some guys say he can definitely play QB and they'd take him if he's there late. Some teams are off him completely unless he changes positions. He knows what he's doing."

Porter Jr. indicated that he would be measured and would speak with anyone that wanted to talk. He said he was "very excited" for what his camp is putting together for his pro day and that it will show "much more than running around in shorts".

Most experts have Porter Jr. as a 4th to 6th round pick as a quarterback.

"It's not a total waste." A scout for an AFC team that is reportedly looking to draft a QB on day 2 or 3 said. "Like Murray there's a lot of anticipation to get some official measurements on him. I've heard anywhere from 5'9" all the way up to 6'2", it's probably in the middle. We'll know. Same with weight. 180, 210, nobody knows. We'll get to see measurements. Personally I'm really excited to talk to him. I've only heard good."

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 08 Jan 2020, 10:24

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 09 Jan 2020, 13:07

NFL DRAFT
Colby Porter Jr. impresses at unorthodox pro day
By DOUG FARRAR March 21, 2019

PORTER JR. THROWS A PASS DURING VIRGINIA'S SPRING GAME LAST YEAR, MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA WERE NOT ALLOWED TO USE CAMERAS DURING HIS PRO DAY WORKOUT

Colby Porter Jr. took a page out of Johnny Manziel's book during his pro day workout at Virginia's practice facility, electing to do the workout in full gear. He also did a number of things that we hadn't seen in the past, including working with wet footballs and using defenders in various positions at times during the exhibition.

Porter Jr. worked with Olamide Zaccheaus, Jordan Ellis and Evan Butts, throwing a number of passes to each of them on a wide variety of routes. He spoke before the workout, introducing his teammates and thanking those in attendance before getting started.

Porter Jr. proved that his offseason work with performance coaches George Whitfield and Kevin O'Connell paid great dividends. Despite the typical pro day being a more controlled environment than Porter Jr. would have found himself in had he elected to workout at the combine he and the coaches he worked made a great effort to get him out of his comfort zone and show that he could do some things that he hadn't yet put on film.

He took snaps from under center on roughly 50% of the plays, something he essentially never did in college. He also made it a point to demonstrate his ability to use a traditional five or seven step drop, something he also did not do previously. He was a bit jumpy and did cross his feet a few times on deeper drops but overall he was able to show it was something he was capable of and could build on if the team that takes him has a scheme that depends on it. When Cam Newton came out of college and worked under center at first, he was hopping all over the place.

Porter Jr. completed 57 of his 60 passes, missing on a ten yard out to Butts that was wide. Ellis dropped a good pass on an angle route early on and one of the deeper wet ball throws hit the turf.

Porter Jr., who didn't throw the ball deep often at Virginia or Oregon State, threw several deep balls to Zaccheaus. They were not all perfect but the speedy receiver was able to adjust to them all and those in attendance seemed impressed.

“It's not a part of his game we saw much of. It's far from perfect but it's also not as bad as a lot of us perceived.” An NFC scout said when I asked about Porter Jr's deep throws.

Porter Jr's final throw was a 50 plus yard post connection to Zaccheaus after which he sprinted to celebrate with his favorite target from 2018. Porter Jr. hugged his mother and grandfather, the only “entourage” on hand, after the play. He then waved to and thanked the attendees before jogging off the field with his teammates.

Some personnel folks on hand apparently asked about a 40 yard dash and some of the other combine drills Porter Jr. elected not to do. They were simply told that it "was not a part of todfay's program." Despite that most seemed satisfied with the workout overall.

"It did," Porter Jr. said when asked by Paul Burmeister of the NFL Network if the workout went the way he wanted.

“I think it went really well. I wanted to highlight some of my strengths and hopefully show that some of the things that have been, or were at least perceived as weaknesses, were things I had been working on and had been able to improve on in a short amount of time since the season ended. It was a lot of fun getting to throw the ball around with my teammates one last time, that's the best part of today. Those guys put on a show too.”

Like most quarterbacks, Porter Jr. started off with quick, short routes, and no surprise that these were all easy completions asides from a drop. When he did start throwing deeper the motion seemed improved from where it had been during his college career, though it is still far from textbook. I was very, very impressed with how quickly he got into position to make those deep throws, even while on the run. His delivery may not be perfect but it is quick and compact. You can tell that the deep ball is not a totally natural part of his game, but he has worked on it and improved it, especially when he's on the run and throwing deep.

It's to his credit that he wanted to challenge himself in this way, and with the extra equipment, defenders and other factors. He clearly wanted to make a statement -- and he certainly did.

“Some of that was my idea.” Porter Jr. said when asked about the wet footballs and the players being used to simulate a pass rush that were included on a number of snaps. “Some was the coaches I was working with. We wanted to show a variety of looks and create something that would show more than the combine and hopefully we did that, hopefully we answered some of those questions. A little disappointed that one ball hit the ground but that was a risk I wanted to take.”

Porter Jr. did bounce back from the errant throw nicely, making a very similar throw on the next snap, still working with a wet ball.

In addition, I liked that he was able to make throws accurately and consistently off his back foot and when he was not optimally set up in the pocket due to the “pass rush”. We'll still need to see him excel while staying in the pocket with pressure in his face, and that won't really happen until he hits an NFL field for the first time. But he can clearly throw under duress, and he's going to have to do it in new ways at the next level.

“A lot of guys question if he can play at all at the next level.” NFL Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner said after the workout. “I think that's foolish. He absolutely can play at the next level. How well is what remains to be seen. He showed today that he wants to improve, and that he can improve on some of those shortcomings. If he was three inches taller he would have a first or second round grade on him.”

There were other little things that impressed -- how he quickly looked off the safety on shorter timing throws. How he threw from his front foot with touch and aim on seam throws of 15 to 20 yards. How quickly he got the ball out on slants. How perfectly and quickly he executes read options (he included a few in his workout) and how composed he remained when defenders rushed him or dropped into coverage or when his center snapped him a wet football, none of which were entirely scripted.

“There's some other stuff we took from today.” An executive from an AFC South team told me. “He was confident, not cocky. He had his family there and not a big entourage. His body language was confident and positive. He brought in his teammates that maybe some of us weren't interested in and got them some more time in front of us and let them show off their skill sets too. You could see those guys respect him and considered him a leader. Overall, this was a much better picture of him than we would have ever gotten at the combine. I'd feel comfortable moving him up a round from where we had him after today.”

“I'm just excited to get to that next level and keep learning more and getting better.” Porter Jr. said when asked about the upcoming draft. “I'm excited for whatever that opportunity is.”

Soapy

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by Soapy » 09 Jan 2020, 13:15

i didn't read but xman brought me here