My Way | Colby Porter Jr

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 23 Sep 2019, 20:45

Yeah, he ain't hitting 6' or nothin. Growth spurt at 17 or 18 is far from unheard of through.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 23 Sep 2019, 20:52

MetroNews HS Sports
@MetroNewsPrep

Martinsburg blanks Logan in the first round playoff game 28-0, will face a tough Nitro team next week.

Porter Jr. runs for a touchdown in a playoff win over Logan

Porter Jr. celebrates a touchdown pass to Howell in the 2nd quarter

Game Stats: 8/12 145Yds 2TD 1Int, 12 Rush 89 Rush Yds 1TD

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 24 Sep 2019, 10:20

Nitro knocks out Porter Jr., Martinsburg
By James Davis

Colby Porter Jr. delivers one of his four touchdown passes

Colby Porter Jr. threw for a career high four touchdowns against Nitro despite missing most of the third quarter and part of the fourth after getting shaken up while trying to make a tackle after an interception.

Porter Jr. threw three touchdown passes in the first half and had Martinsburg up 21-10 at the break. On Martinsburg's first possession after halftime Porter Jr. threw an out to Geo Sarria but it bounced high off his fingertips and was intercepted. Porter Jr. tried to chase down the Nitro defender but was blindsided by a defensive end and had to be helped off the field. Nitro was flagged for the hit, negating the touchdown, but their offense scored three plays later to make it 21-17.

Freshman backup quarterback Francisco Delacruz struggled in relief with his three possessions ending in a lost fumble, a punt and a pick six.

With just under four minutes left in the game Porter Jr. led the Martinsburg offense back out trailing 21-31.

After a long run by Alex Howell and a run on an option keep Porter Jr. delivered a beautiful pass to Ostrander in the back of the endzone for a 13 yard touchdown with 2:07 left in the game and two timeouts left.

Nitro was able to lean on their strong offensive line and pick up first downs on back to back plays, leaving Martinsburg with no timeouts and 1:40 left on the clock.

Nitro ran twice for eight yards, bringing up a third and two with :37 left, making the upcoming play a game decider.

Nitro once again leaned on their big boys up front and fullback Tylor Davids plowed ahead for a gain of two yards and one inch, effectively ending the game and Martinburg's season.

Porter Jr. completed 10 of 11 pass attempts for 146 yards and a career high four touchdowns, along with the interception. He ran 11 times for 102 yards.

Alex Howell ran the ball 15 times for 78 yards and caught 4 passes for 60 yards and two touchdowns. Ostrander led the team with 63 yards on 4 receptions and also had a touchdown. Tight end Michael Weisbecker caught two passes for 23 yards and a score.

After the game Martinsburg revealed that Porter Jr. was being evaluated for a concussion and eventually was cleared shortly after Delacruz's third possession began.

“It's hard to come so close and not get the win.” Porter Jr. told me after the loss. “I'm super proud of these guys and so stoked that I got the chance to play and grow with them and it was awesome playing for a coaching staff that believed in me and trusted me.”

I spoke to Colby about his plans for next season.

“Honestly I'm not on a lot of school's radars or anything. I haven't put a lot of thought into it so I'd say at this point things are pretty wide open.”

Porter Jr. does not have any division one offers at this time.

“It's crazy.” Martinsburg head coach Gerald Santangelo told me Sunday morning. “He's got a great skill set and he's so coachable and he's such a team player. If he was six foot Nick Saban would be knocking his door down.”

Colby Porter Jr. celebrates a fourth quarter touchdown pass

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 25 Sep 2019, 09:51

Martinburg's Colby Porter Jr. headed to Blinn
By James Davis

Colby Porter Jr. rushes for a touchdown in his first game at Martinsburg

Colby Porter Jr. played just eight games at Martinsburg after a late transfer made him ineligible to start the season. Porter transferred to Martinsburg amid suspicion that he did so because the new Charles Town coaching staff was changing the offensive scheme and asked him to change positions. Porter and his parents insisted it was an academic move and due to Martinsburg's superiority in that area the move was allowed after a review.

Porter Jr. took over when the team was 1-3 and led them to six straigh regular season wins including knocking off previously undefeated Jefferson in week nine and Charles Town in week ten to earn a playoff spot. He then led them to a round one win over Logan before losing to Nitro in the second round in a game in which he missed significant time while being evaluated for a possible concussion.

Porter Jr. threw for 1,115 yards and 17 touchdowns in eight games while only throwing five interceptions and completing nearly 70 percent of his passes. He also ran for 829 yards and six touchdowns. Division one schools overlooked him and seemingly only focused on the fact that Porter is left handed and stands just five foot nine.

Last Tuesday Porter announced via Twitter that he would be enrolling at Blinn Community College in Texas. NFL stars Cam Newton and Dede Westbrook played at Blinn before moving on to Auburn and Oklahoma. Porter is hoping to take a similar path.

“I had some division two offers and some division three.” Colby told me when we talked yesterday. “I thought pretty hard about some of those but I just kept coming back to Blinn. They've got a great coaching staff, the academics are excellent, that's a big priority for me and my parents. They've helped a lot of guys polish their skills and get to the next level. Not just get to the next level but excel.”

Porter actually did get some division one offers but they were from schools that wanted him to play a different position. Porter didn't consider them to be actual offers.

“I see myself as a quarterback and I intend to play quarterback for as long as possible. I want to do this my way.”

Porter joins a duo of freshmen quarterbacks at Blinn and the three of them will battle for starting job according to Porter.

Due to Porter's academic success in high school he will be eligible to transfer to any four year school he desires after a year at Blinn, assuming he keeps his grade up over that year. Student athletes that go to junior colleges to improve their academic situation must stay enrolled for two years before they can transfer.

Colby Porter Jr. throws a touchdown pas sin what would be his last game at Martinsburg
Last edited by djp73 on 04 Oct 2019, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 26 Sep 2019, 08:49

2015 BLINN FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
May 1, 2015

8/22/15 @ ASA College (Miami)
8/29/15 vs Texas A&T
9/5/15 @ Kilgore College *
9/12/15 @ Cisco College *
9/19/15 @ at Tyler Junior College *
9/26/15 vs New Mexico Military Institute *
10/3/15 vs Trinity Valley Community College *
10/10/15 vs Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College *
10/17/15 vs Navarro College *
* = SWJCFC Game
Last edited by djp73 on 26 Sep 2019, 10:04, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 26 Sep 2019, 09:30

BLINN FOOTBALL DROPS TO 0-2 WITH LOSS AGAINST TEXAS A&T
August 30, 2015

Despite a strong effort by their defense the Bucs once again came up short in a 14-8 loss against Texas A&T. The defense held Texas A&T in check for most of the game, giving up just one touchdown late in the second quarter.

Blinn quarterback Bryan Martin threw a pick six shortly after halftime to give Texas A&T a 14-0 lead. Runningback Alonzo Taylor scored on a 73 yard run in the fourth quarter then added the conversion to make it 14-8 which would be the final score.

Martin threw a trio of interceptions to bring his season total up to five.

“There's a definite imbalance right now.” Coach Keith Thomas commented when asked about the great play of his defense and struggles of his offense. “But ultimately this is a team sport and sometimes one group or another has to pick up the slack to get the results we're after.”

Blinn dropped their season opener at ASA College in Miami two weeks ago by a score of 28-17.

The offense has leaned heavily on runningback Alonzo Taylor, a sophomore from California who led the SWJCFC in rushing yardage and touchdowns last season and is looking to do so again this year. Taylor has 276 yards and a pair of scores thus far despite defenses loading up against the run.

Blinn will play at Kilgore College next week in their first SWJCFC game of the season.
Last edited by djp73 on 26 Sep 2019, 10:11, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 26 Sep 2019, 09:35

COLBY PORTER JR NAMED BUCS STARTING QB
September 1, 2015

COLBY PORTER JR THROWS A PASS DURING THE BLUE AND WHITE GAME IN MAY

Head football coach Keith Thomas has formally announced that Colby Porter Jr from West Virginia's Martinsburg High School will take over as the team's starting quarterback, replacing the struggling Bryan Martin. Martin has completed just 52% of his passes in the Bucs first two games and has thrown five interceptions to just one touchdown.

"Really as far as talent goes it was a very close competition between Colby and Bryan throughout the preseason." Coach Thomas revealed. "Colby has picked up the playbook very quickly and he's had a few really good weeks of practice. Colby's smart with the ball and really focuses on limiting turnovers. He's a dangerous runner who can put a lot of pressure on the defense in that way too and we're looking for a spark."

Porter will take over an offense with a number of experienced starters including sophomore runningback Alonzo Taylor who led the SWJCFC in rushing yards and touchdowns last season and looks to be one of the best players in the conference for 2015 so far.

Receivers Ryan Tutins and Mark Allen also return along with tight end Derrick Rucker as well as most of the offensive line.

"It's really a blessing." Porter said when asked about the experience around him. "There's so much experience and last year I was one of the only seniors so it's great to be surrounded by guys who have been there before and can help myself and each other so much. I'm really excited for the opportunity."

Blinn is looking to bounce back from last year's 4-4 season when they did not qualify for the playoffs.

Blinn will open conference play at Kilgore on Saturday.

PORTER JR OUTRUNS THE FIRST TEAM DEFENSE DURING THE BLUE AND WHITE GAME

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 27 Sep 2019, 10:21

PORTER, TAYLOR LEAD BUCS TO WIN AT KILGORE
September 6, 2015

RECEIVER MARK DAVIS CATCHES A FOURTH QUARTER TOUCHDOWN PASS FROM COLBY PORTER JR

New starting quarterback Colby Porter Jr. threw for 186 yards and a touchdown and added 59 yards rushing in a 27-21 win at Kilgore. Perhaps just as important was the fact that Porter did not turn the ball over, turnovers had plagued the Blinn offense in their first two games of the season. Runningback Alonzo Taylor chipped in with 65 yards rushing along with a touchdown and freshman TJ Fulton added 21 yards and a score as well.

Blinn trailed 21-20 midway through the fourth quarter when Porter put together a drive that he capped with a five yard touchdown pass to Mark Allen. Kicker Todd Tucker made it 27-21 and the Blinn defense held on for the win.

Freshman receiver Julius Hunter led the team with 117 yards on four receptions, including a 45 yard reception that set up a second quarter field goal by Tucker.

The Blinn defense also played well and was led by defensive tackle Ryan Harris who recorded eight tackles, three of them behind the line of scrimmage. One of his tackles for loss came on a fourth quarter third and two and forced a Kilgore punt. James Dixon also forced a fumble which fellow defensive linesman Brent Jackson recovered. Kilgore was in Blinn territory when the takeaway occurred.

“Great team win there.” Head coach Keith Thomas said following the game. “Winning on the road is always a challenge and we certainly could have come into this one with a lack of confidence but we got it done today so that's good for the team, something to build on.”

“Everyone rallied around me and gave 110%. Guys made plays and the line played great then the defense stepped up when we needed them. It was a lot of fun out there. Can't wait for next week!” Porter exclaimed after the win.

Blinn improves to 1-2 overall and 1-0 in SWJCFC play. Blinn will travel to face Cisco College next week.

QUARTERBACK COLBY PORTER JR SCRAMBLES IN THE FIRST QUARTER

RUNNINGBACK ALONZO TAYLOR SCORES A TOUCHDOWN IN THE SECOND QUARTER

DEFENSIVE LINESMAN BRENT JACKSON RECOVERS A FUMBLE
Last edited by djp73 on 07 Oct 2019, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 30 Sep 2019, 08:37

OFFENSIVE STRUGGLES SINK BLINN AT CISCO
September 13, 2015

BLINN QB COLBY PORTER JR RUNS FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN THE SECOND QUARTER

Cisco College held Alonzo Taylor to just 15 yards on five carries in the first quarter before he left the game with an ankle injury. TJ Fulton fared no better, picking up just a yard on his three carries. Cisco also picked off Colby Porter Jr. three times, one of them on a pass that was tipped and bounced high in the air off a receiver.

Despite all of that Blinn still had a shot at taking the lead late after a Porter touchdown pass to Jonathan Stevenson made it 17-14 with just over 30 seconds left. Blinn attempted an onside kick and had a shot at recovering after the ball bounced off one Cisco player but it was quickly covered up and the game was effectively over as Blinn had used up their timeouts.

“Frustrating. If I had to sum it up with one word it would be frustrating.” Porter Jr. said after the loss. “Sucks to have the defense play so well, hold them to 17 points, and we, I, play so poorly on offense that we can't win it.”

“It's a team game.” Coach Keith Thomas explained. “We had some struggles on the field offensively and we had some turnovers but really it came down to coaching. We got out coached today. Their defense showed us some things we weren't prepared for and there's no excuse for that.”

Porter finished the day with 205 yards on 12 of 28 passing with a touchdown and three interceptions. He also ran for 45 yards and a score on nine carries.

Julius Hunter led the team with 64 yards on three receptions.

Defensive back Brandon Malone led the way on defense with seven tackles.

Blinn drops to 1-3 overall and 1-1 in conference play. The Bucs will travel to face Tyler next week.

A CISCO LINEBACKER PICKS OFF A PORTER JR PASS

STEVENSON DIVES FOR A TOUCHDOWN LATE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER

Topic author
djp73

My Way | Colby Porter Jr

Post by djp73 » 02 Oct 2019, 07:39

BLINN TRAMPLES TYLER 48-0
September 20, 2015

BLINN QB COLBY PORTER JR RUNS FOR A 43 YARD SCORE IN THE FIRST QUARTER

Tyler had no answers against Blinn as the Bucs rolled to a 48-0 win, dominating in all aspects of the game and improving their record to 2-3 overall and 2-1 in SWJCFC play, keeping their playoff hopes alive.

Colby Porter Jr. completed 14 of 18 pass attempts for 202 yards and a pair of touchdowns in three quarters of play. He also ran for 135 yards and a score on 10 carries.

“It was a great bounce back game for Colby and for the whole team.” Head coach Keith Thomas explained. “No turnovers was big for us.”

Alonzo Taylor also bounced back from a poor performance last week, running for 169 yards and three scores on 18 carries.

Mark Allen led the team with 95 receiving yards on 5 catches while Julius Hunter had two scores and 52 yards on 4 receptions.

Defensive end Brent Jackson led the way on the other side of the ball with 8 tackles and a trio of sacks.

Blinn comes home to host New Mexico Military institute next week.

JULIUS HUNTER FINDS THE ENDZONE

ALONZO TAYLOR STARES DOWN SOME BOISTEROUS TYLER STUDENTS AFTER A SCORE

HUNTER SCORES AGAIN