Gold Roses.

This is where to post any NFL or NCAA football franchises.

Topic author
Soapy

Gold Roses.

Post by Soapy » 07 Oct 2019, 01:18

Long Beach State announces football program to start in 2019
Jalen Hernandez -- DynastySports.com

It has been a talking point among Long Beach State administration members for years. The interest has always been there, but timing was key for a decision of this magnitude.

In the end, the time is now, and the decision came from looking within and discovering strength.

“We have strong enrollment, great facilities, great faculty and great resources,” athletic director Andy Fee said. “And when you put that together, you have an opportunity to really impact the university and we felt like the time was now.”

College football is coming back to Long Beach State University.

Fee, Anderson University president Dr. Jane Close Conoley, members of the Cal State-Long Beach Board of Trust, and regional civic leaders were on hand for a formal announcement on Friday.

"We're hoping that a lot fans will come and support us, fall in love with the team and program and come be a part of what we're trying to accomplish," Conoley said.

Kickoff is set for 2019, with athletes reporting to campus in 2018. This four-year gap gives the university time to prepare adequately in all phases for this new, major endeavor. The addition of football will be a huge transition for the university, not just athletics specifically.

Preparation has been the word that’s been at the forefront of administration’s minds when determining how to roll out the program. They’ve done extensive research, consulted with other schools within the conference and want to make sure the athletes have the best chance to compete when the first game is played in 2019. The most important decision to make: the head coach.

To this point, the search hasn’t started, but will commence once the full funding is in place. Fee is projecting early 2021 at the latest in regards to naming a head coach.

The 49ers will play as an Independent in Division I FBS.

Long Beach State competed in Division I football for a number of years (1969–91), producing a number of professional players, including Terrell Davis and Mike Horan, among others. George Allen, the famed Los Angeles Rams and Washington Redskins coach, had a short one-year tenure at Long Beach State. Long Beach State discontinued its football program after the 1991 season due to budget constraints. Prior to going Division I in 1969 the football team competed in the old "College Division" of the NCAA from 1955 through 1968.

The time in between announcement and play also lends time for the university to finalize a playing space. Long Beach last played its home games at Veterans Memorial Stadium, in Long Beach, California. Since 1991, the stadium has been used by multiple local high schools but the administration is fully invested in having its own space for the start of the 2019 season.

[spoiler]Grabbing a plate of tiny hand food, James shoved the food down his throat as he continued to survey the table. The media had already gone through most of the good items, particularly the chicken sandwich sliders that James had his eyes on since he walked into the classroom that had been converted into a press conference room.

Jordon had just announced that he was committing to San Diego State and while none of the San Diego State coaches that had made the trip to see the announcement couldn't interact with the media during the live broadcast, they were now using the trip to also get to know some of the other Laney players, even taking a Hail Mary swipe at Ricky.

"Jackson, right?"

James turned around, mouth full of food, and reached his hand out to shake the hand of a gentleman that seemed to be in his late 50s.

"Yes," James wiped his mouth, "James Jackson, sir."

"Jeff Horton," coach Horton smiled, "We spoke over the phone a few times."

"Ah, yes, of course. How was the trip?"

"It came with a happy ending," coach Horton nodded over to Jordon, who was talking to some of the other San Diego State coaches, "We're always happy to get guys like Jordon and yourself in the program."

James simply nodded in agreement. He had taken Ricky's advice and wasn't committing to any school that had another quarterback already in the same class, even one like Jordon who he was confident he was better than.

"Wouldn't you love to catch passes from your college buddy?" coach Horton gave James a strong pat on the shoulder, almost knocking him over, "I know we wanted you at quarterback but I've been telling our staff since day one, you're too good of an athlete to play that position. You can sling it but trust me, for the next level, you're better off playing receiver and with guys like Derrick Henry, running back ain't out the question either."

James ignored the quip about Jordon being his buddy, it was the only way to stop him from laughing.

"I hear you," James answered, "I'm just not ready to make a decision right now but I'd really like to play quarterback at the next level and right now, it doesn't look like that'll be San Diego State. I'm just being honest, coach."

"Listen," coach Horton brought him in closer, "You keep playing like you're playing at quarterback and we'll do what needs to be done for you to be our quarterback."

James looked at him with a puzzled face.

"We're not going to let anything get in the way of you playing for us if that's what you want," coach Horton said firmly, "Anything or anyone. It's your spot if you want it for this class."

[/spoiler]
Last edited by Soapy on 10 Oct 2019, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Soapy

Gold Roses.

Post by Soapy » 07 Oct 2019, 01:18

point blank period like a city girl.

respect my decision.

djp73

Gold Roses.

Post by djp73 » 07 Oct 2019, 07:11

:hmm: this will be fun. did you find a good teambuilder team?

Topic author
Soapy

Gold Roses.

Post by Soapy » 07 Oct 2019, 09:18

djp73 wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 07:11
yessir i was looking forward to making my own but it came down to two schools, fgcu and long beach state. fgcu's unis were trash and the team was too good.

djp73

Gold Roses.

Post by djp73 » 07 Oct 2019, 09:26

Soapy wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 09:18
djp73 wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 07:11
yessir i was looking forward to making my own but it came down to two schools, fgcu and long beach state. fgcu's unis were trash and the team was too good.
yeah sucks that teambuilder is gone

Topic author
Soapy

Gold Roses.

Post by Soapy » 07 Oct 2019, 09:56

Khari Carter named Long Beach State's first football coach
Cooper Byrd -- Long Beach Sentinel

Long Beach State has announced that former Stanford offensive coordinator Khari Carter will take the role as the school's first football head coach.

The announcement was made by the athletic department during a Tuesday press conference at noon. Carter will take the head coaching position and will prepare the team to host its first game in the fall of 2019.

Carter, 30, played running back at the University of San Diego under Jim Harbaugh and Ron Caragher where he was a two time First-team All-PFL and PFL Offensive Player of the Year during his senior season. Carter played on season for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before he joined the coaching ranks as a graduate assistant in Harbaugh's staff in Stanford.

Carter followed Harbaugh to the NFL where he served two seasons as a quality control coach in 2011 and 2012 before returning to Stanford under David Shaw as a running game coordinator and running back's coach, where he recruited and coached future first round pick Christian McCaffrey. Carter was promoted to offensive coordinator after the end of the 2014 season.

Despite being a new program that needs a lot of legwork, Long Beach State opted to go with one of the youngest offensive assistants in college football. It remains to be seen how Carter will fill out his staff given his lack of experience and having never been a head coach.

Topic author
Soapy

Gold Roses.

Post by Soapy » 07 Oct 2019, 10:58

Coaching staff announced, 2019 schedule finalized
Cooper Byrd -- Long Beach Sentinel

Football is officially back at Long Beach State.

The 49ers released their 2019 schedule just days after the coaching staff was hired and announced.

Kyle Lawson, an assistant at Long Beach City College, was name the offensive coordinator while Gary Lewis was tabbed as the defensive coordinator. Lewis was a linebackers coach at San Diego State for the past three seasons.

The schedule is loaded with tough road games include at Oregon to open the season and at Oklahoma to end the season. The 49ers do not play a home game until the fourth game of the season when they will host Army at Veterans Stadium. Long Beach State only play four home games this season which is likely due to the fact that the program is still in a fundraising state where they stand to make more money from taking money and playing games on the road against tough competition versus hosting games.

This will likely continue until the 49ers are able to build out their own stadium which might not be finished until 2024.

2019 Schedule
Sep. 7 at #11 Oregon
Sep. 14 at UCLA
Sep. 21 at UK
Sep. 28 vs. Army
Oct. 5 at Colorado State
Oct. 7 at BYU
Oct. 19 vs. San Jose State
Oct. 26 at Arizona State
Nov. 2 at Bowling Green
Nov. 9 vs. Hawaii
Nov. 23 vs. Ball State
Nov. 30 at Oklahoma

djp73

Gold Roses.

Post by djp73 » 07 Oct 2019, 11:20

no easy games on that schedule!
how do you plan to handle the stadium transition in game?

djp73

Gold Roses.

Post by djp73 » 07 Oct 2019, 11:21

also do you really have games 2 days apart??

Captain Canada

Gold Roses.

Post by Captain Canada » 07 Oct 2019, 11:26

Very interesting concept. Definitely going to get brutalized this first season